Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Basketball Links!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Great podcast/tv show, mix of hardcore analysis and great fun.

Formerly known as 'The Basketball Jones'

Now 'The Starters' on NBA TV, starting 21st October

TBJ has been widely listened to by the regular posters on the nba thread on this. Plenty of references to it on the offseason thread. Hoping NBA TV doesn't over censor them. Wanker of the Week, Skeet's customary cursing, Tas just being Tas, eg his long-winded yet hilarious baseball updates could all be ended. But still, Im delighted for them, and will continue to listen to the podcast. Still going to be TBJ to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 robertpaul0221

Thanks for all

• Registered Users Posts: 13 annelin

i like watching nba game

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nzamcdza

thecourtsidecollective.com

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nzamcdza

Great podcast/tv show, mix of hardcore analysis and great fun.

Formerly known as 'The Basketball Jones'

Now 'The Starters' on NBA TV, starting 21st October

In my opinion The Starters is nowhere near as good as when it was TBJ.

• Advertisement

nzamcdza wrote: »
    In my opinion The Starters is nowhere near as good as when it was TBJ.

I agree totally. I watched TBJ religiously, and I was very happy for the guys when the joined NBA TV. Unfortunately, the change to TV has destroyed what made TBJ compulsive listening, its irreverance, its randomness, Tas going off on his tangents etc.

Losing the drops really annoyed me. They were almost a second language for the fans, you knew in what circumstances you would hear them and they took on a running joke quality. The fact that we don't get to hear "I want a 12 inch from Demarcus Cousins," "Skinny Jeans, I dont get it" and ofcourse "Give me some Raptor news," is a real bummer.

Their podcast was unfiltered, they were just 4 guys who were NBA junkies and who brought a freshness to the NBA media. They used to chew the fat, talk about their lives, Tas' rounders team, they also used to have the "book off payoff" where they used to pick which teams they predicted would cover the spread in the games that night. All this is gone.

The thing is, it kind of had to be this way. TV is just a different ball game, but their personalities do not translate that well to an overproduced TV show imo.

I didn't miss a TBJ podcast for years, but I found the starters unbearable, so I no longer watch it. I'm happy for the guys that they got their break, but I just can bring myself to watch them in their current incarnation.

Thus I have gone elsewhere for my NBA podcast fix. I highly recommend Grantlands podcasts. Bill Simmons has a podcast called "The BS Report" in which he talks about the NBA with special guests in an entertaining manner.
    For more serious NBA talk on Grantland, Zach Lowe (fantastic writer) has a show called "The Lowe Post." He breaks down the game extremely well.
    The Jalen Rose show with Jacoby is also a good listen.

buyer95 wrote: »
    I agree totally. I watched TBJ religiously, and I was very happy for the guys when the joined NBA TV. Unfortunately, the change to TV has destroyed what made TBJ compulsive listening, its irreverance, its randomness, Tas going off on his tangents etc.

Losing the drops really annoyed me. They were almost a second language for the fans, you knew in what circumstances you would hear them and they took on a running joke quality. The fact that we don't get to hear "I want a 12 inch from Demarcus Cousins," "Skinny Jeans, I dont get it" and ofcourse "Give me some Raptor news," is a real bummer.

Their podcast was unfiltered, they were just 4 guys who were NBA junkies and who brought a freshness to the NBA media. They used to chew the fat, talk about their lives, Tas' rounders team, they also used to have the "book off payoff" where they used to pick which teams they predicted would cover the spread in the games that night. All this is gone.

The thing is, it kind of had to be this way. TV is just a different ball game, but their personalities do not translate that well to an overproduced TV show imo.

I didn't miss a TBJ podcast for years, but I found the starters unbearable, so I no longer watch it. I'm happy for the guys that they got their break, but I just can bring myself to watch them in their current incarnation.

Thus I have gone elsewhere for my NBA podcast fix. I highly recommend Grantlands podcasts. Bill Simmons has a podcast called "The BS Report" in which he talks about the NBA with special guests in an entertaining manner.
    For more serious NBA talk on Grantland, Zach Lowe (fantastic writer) has a show called "The Lowe Post." He breaks down the game extremely well.
    The Jalen Rose show with Jacoby is also a good listen.

Great, great news, The Starters are now doing an old fashioned free flowing, TBJ style podcast once a week called The Drop. Definitely worth a listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Great, great news, The Starters are now doing an old fashioned free flowing, TBJ style podcast once a week called The Drop. Definitely worth a listen!

Yep, and all their tv episodes are now being uploaded onto YouTube as well!

D2D wrote: »
    Yep, and all their tv episodes are now being uploaded onto YouTube as well!

God it felt good to hear Skeets bellowing " Good morning sweet world" again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

God it felt good to hear Skeets bellowing " Good morning sweet world" again.

I'll still always miss them saying the episode number at the beginning of every show! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bside29

Any link where I can watch GSW game tomorrow?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

MOD Deleted - No stream requests allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Can anyone recommend websites or Youtube channels with good Basketball drills, particularly for under 14's? Please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hi all, because of the very awkward match times for Irish viewers what's the best highlights package or show around to keep up to date? I'll try watch the odd live game at weekends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Hi all, because of the very awkward match times for Irish viewers what's the best highlights package or show around to keep up to date? I'll try watch the odd live game at weekends too.

On TV, it'd be NBA Action on BT Sport or The Jump, which is on weekdays on BT Sport ESPN. Otherwise, check out the NBA's youtube channel. They have their own show, The Starters, which they upload every weekday. They also usually put up highlights of all the games and Top 10's from each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Youtube channels like Ximo Pietro(think thats the spelling) put up 10 minute highlights not long after each game. Its pretty much just every offensive basket with the odd interesting play thrown in. Not a big fan of the format but its a decent way to catch up all the games the morning after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kine99huke

can you suggest me best basketball movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Can anyone recommend a channel to watch the friendly matches and euro basket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sok2005

Advertisement