Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's Good In The Supermarkets? (Excluding Aldi & Lidl)

• 14-09-2020 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Since we only have threads for recommending Aldi and Lidl stuff I thought I'd put this here: I had a yumnut from M&S (plain with icing, but they have other flavours) yesterday and they are absolutely delicious. Hands down the nicest doughnut type thing I've had in ages, way better than anything I've had in most of the doughnut shops that have popped up over the last years.

Mod Note:
    This seems like a good beginning for a general supermarket thread :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Space Dog wrote: »
    I had a yumnut from M&S.
    info on these here
    https://www.marksandspencer.com/ie/c/food/not-just-any-food/food-news/yumnuts

The tesco 4 for €1 ones have improved a lot, they are wider and flatter now, and more airy, they used to be quite doughy and more round. They have more injection points so the filling is more even inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive always liked the smoked applewood cheddar cheese available in Tesco. Bit of a bargain too at 1.38 for 185g.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I realised that Supervalu was the only supermarket who delivers out here and I could not do my own shopping, my heart sank. It was not a shop I used much

I WAS WRONG!

supervalu.ie/shopping

Excellent range and value. I mostly use the dailybasics range. But they have two own brand ranges.

I got hooked on potato waffles and their own brand are excellent at just over a euro for 12.

Their chicken portions are great at 2x 900 gm trays for E5 . And their ready meals... Excellent .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »
    When I realised that Supervalu was the only supermarket who delivers out here and I could not do my own shopping, my heart sank. It was not a shop I used much

I WAS WRONG!

supervalu.ie/shopping

Excellent range and value. I mostly use the dailybasics range. But they have two own brand ranges.

I got hooked on potato waffles and their own brand are excellent at just over a euro for 12.

Their chicken portions are great at 2x 900 gm trays for E5 . And their ready meals... Excellent .

Supervalus can vary a lot.
    Some are fantastic, others, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

M & S custard choux buns are incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think they are trying to standardise more now? That website is not just for my local shop but for the region. And their own brand range goes across the board? ( I have never actually been into the shop of course. I order by email.)

But for range and price I am very happy indeed. Certainly as much as I was in Tesco etc.

My way of putting it is that they are raising levels to the same at the " big four" .

I had walked out of the Clifden one when I saw the live lobsters in a tank .

Never went in again. And the shop was mediocre and expensive. Not … organised, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

I just got a huge piece of this alabama pork in Supervalu for less than €20. Going to throw it on the bbq and invite the permitted small number of family members to help me devour it.

14666154_1192734317454734_9179820807854195202_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=cj-gc_85uc8AX8eMc00&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=4c8da5903e3d748e96eb9ba54f617c2e&oe=5F913317

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Sweet chili beetroot, so nice, although quite expensive, i've made a batch myself, i hope i can replicate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tesco own brand chocolate coated rice cakes - 6 for 50c, making them about 1/4 the price of any other branded or supermarket brand equivalent.
    They used to do ones with bits of salted caramel sprinkled on top too, they were gorgeous, but they've disappeared in recent months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

eeepaulo wrote: »
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

Sweet chili beetroot, so nice, although quite expensive, i've made a batch myself, i hope i can replicate them.

This reminded me of similar beetroot way back. They used to be called sweetfire beetroot, I haven't seen them in ages though. I must look out for those Tesco ones :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59272229

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Dunnes are doing a salt caramel yoghurt in their best/finest/silver brand. It's unreal. Just watch out it separates pretty badly while it's on the shelf, so it needs a good stir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

rubadub wrote: »
    info on these here
    https://www.marksandspencer.com/ie/c/food/not-just-any-food/food-news/yumnuts

The tesco 4 for €1 ones have improved a lot, they are wider and flatter now, and more airy, they used to be quite doughy and more round. They have more injection points so the filling is more even inside.

The M&S yammuts so they're just donuts? :confused:
    Being M&S they're probably €2 each.

Anyone tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

Tree wrote: »
    Dunnes are doing a salt caramel yoghurt in their best/finest/silver brand. It's unreal. Just watch out it separates pretty badly while it's on the shelf, so it needs a good stir.

That's probably by a company called Le Patissier in D15.
    They do really great cakes and desserts.
    Used to be wholesale only but since COVID are sellong direct to public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The ones the used to be superquinn are still generally good and still bakes the same fresh rolls etc. I think I’ll head to the one in Lucan shortly to pick some up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Mark's do a ready made pizza where it's not a traditional tomato base rather a garlic base pizza. I could only see one type and it had mushrooms and another topping that I can not remember for the life of me.

It's pretty good to be honest. I've been cutting back on eating tomatoes and tomato based meals so this was a lovely change.

I got it in the Mark's on Mary Street a few weeks and I havent been back to see if it's still there or if it was a once off.

Not sure what the usual price is but I got it in the pizza deal where you get 2 very large pizza and 2 sides which to be fair are generous enough for 14 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

SuperValu bran flakes are fantastic - much better than Kelloggs - Tesco own brand come second for me, followed by Lidl.

Love the Tesco organic jumbo oats for 79cents - lovely chunky porridge

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Supervalu own brand fish fingers are fantastic - well, as fantastic as fish fingers can get, but a lot cheaper than the big brand ones, and miles ahead of the lidl/aldi ones which were shockingly bad.

Dunnes do a very good flat bread.
    I think they call them Mediterranean wraps - both wholemeal and plain.
    They are something between a pita and a tortilla (wrap) and are the same as the ones Aldi used to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

They are something between a pita and a tortilla (wrap) and are the same as the ones Aldi used to sell.

Use these all the time, heat on the pan for a few seconds and fill( great for a falafel salad wrap or any meat/salad combo)

This is a cross supermarket recommendation.
    Real fruit splits.
    Freezer section.
    Tesco have these fairly reliably in a box of six but, on occasion, both Aldi and Lidl have the same lollies in boxes of 8 for less money.

They are really lovely - strawberry, blackcurrant and pineapple flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Havent gotten them in a while but Dunnes have a product in the freezers called Youngs Fish and Chip shop cod fillets, they've a lovely crispy bubbly beer batter on them.

Only problem is it is one of those products that goes up and down in price every few weeks, full price is 6 euro odd then other times they are 50% off at 3 euro odd. Id imagine they do it for their leaflets to promote them as a discount, Tesco do similar with their Milano pizzas, they are either 5.50 or else 2.85 so its pot luck what price they will be when you're in. Its the reason I havent gotten them in a while, Im only in Dunnes about once a month and have lucked out on them being half price in the last few visits. But if you can find them at 3 euro they're decent with some tartare sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

This reminded me of similar beetroot way back. They used to be called sweetfire beetroot, I haven't seen them in ages though. I must look out for those Tesco ones :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59272229

2 of the links for making them are no longer available, shame. I made mine 3 weeks ago, opening on tuesday.

Is this dunnes own brand? since an Irish brand was doing these and they were on sale in various supermarkets, they were in tesco recently but I think they are gone now, pricey enough but very good, didn't break apart like other wraps or pitta.

The company is called safa food and the range of wraps is "east west"
    http://www.safafood.com/mediterranean-wraps.html
    pew wrote: »
    It's pretty good to be honest. I've been cutting back on eating tomatoes and tomato based meals so this was a lovely change..
    There is a Filipino sauce called banana ketchup which is a tomato ketchup substitute. I was off tomatoes (and all nightshades) for a while and found it reasonably ok. I got it in an Asian supermarket (which was Filipino)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_ketchup

Is this dunnes own brand? since an Irish brand was doing these and they were on sale in various supermarkets, they were in tesco recently but I think they are gone now, pricey enough but very good, didn't break apart like other wraps or pitta.

Yes, they are Dunnes own brand but are identical to the ones Aldi used to have.
    They're pretty cheap €1 for a pack of 5, I think.

I don't think they are the same as the ones you linked.

Yes, they are Dunnes own brand but are identical to the ones Aldi used to have.

I found an old post of yours I saw recently when searching for safa foods, the person quoting you had emailed them.

The ones in my link did not actually look like the ones I got in tesco, in the pic they look wholemeals. The ones I got looked like they are chargrilled and white bread, uneven patches of brown/black like you get on a naan.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93807277&postcount=4537

Originally Posted by the beer revolu View Post
    Aldi Mediterranean wholemeal wrap. (last pack in freezer - they seem to be gone from Aldi )
    I emailed Safa foods to find out if they have gone permanently from Aldi as I haven't found them since before Christmas, they have gone from there but they told me they supply the wraps to Dunnes as well and they are available under Dunnes own brand. I rarely go to Dunnes but will pop in and get some if they freeze ok

EDIT: this is like the tesco ones.east-to-west-plain-wraps-5pk_1024x.jpg?v=1591852208

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

There is a Filipino sauce called banana ketchup which is a tomato ketchup substitute. I was off tomatoes (and all nightshades) for a while and found it reasonably ok. I got it in an Asian supermarket (which was Filipino)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_ketchup

Thanks rubadub I'll check this out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Has anyone seen this available in Ireland?

https://www.sarsons.co.uk/range/lightly-seasoned-vinegar-blend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Dunnes own brand ice cream Raspberry and White Chocolate . €3 for a 950ml tub.
    Its delicious .

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this available in Ireland?

https://www.sarsons.co.uk/range/lightly-seasoned-vinegar-blend

That's vinegar, water, sugar and salt.
    Just make some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Juwwi wrote: »
    Dunnes own brand ice cream Raspberry and White Chocolate . €3 for a 950ml tub.
    Its delicious .

I haven't tried the Raspberry and White Chocolate yet, but the Bourbon Vanilla Chocolate Chip, and the Praline and Cream versions are both delicious too. And all Irish made.

Advertisement