Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you choose a rural small school over a gaelscoil 15 mins outside locale?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

dara10 wrote: »
    You can always move your child to the local school but you'd can't move them to a gaelscoil after junior infants.

Agree with rest of your post except this last sentence. Know loads of people who did so successfully, especially from primary to secondary. I the transition is equally as difficult, obviously you need the child's cooperation as either move involves more effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Thanks to all for your input. Decided on gaelscoil, said we'd take a chance. Seems as others suggested there are a few more children in the area going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

dara10 wrote: »
    For your child to be fluent in another language at no extra effort to them is priceless. You can not compare the Irish they would learn in a non-gaelscoil to the Irish they would have attending a gaelscoil. There is a huge amount of research on the benefits of immersion education for children. Your child could still have local friends from school as people travel for gaelscoils but also there is nothing to stop them joining a local club too. I wouldn't chose a school solely on location. 15 minutes away is not that far.
    You can always move your child to the local school but you'd can't move them to a gaelscoil after junior infants.

Except it’s Irish and a complete waste of time.
    Much better learning French/German/Mandarin at that age than wasting it on an obsolete language.
    Kids at primary level would soak up languages.
    Every primary should be teaching one of those languages now than wasting it on Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dara10

Caryatnid wrote: »
    Agree with rest of your post except this last sentence. Know loads of people who did so successfully, especially from primary to secondary. I the transition is equally as difficult, obviously you need the child's cooperation as either move involves more effort.

Fair point. I haven't come across it in primaries. Some gaelscoil admissions policies state that you can only transfer if you have attended another gaelscoil.
    I am aware of it occurring for secondary which has supports in place for the transition.

Bobbins best of luck to your child starting school. Delighted to hear you chose the gaelscoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭big_drive

Local better in my opinion. Easier too possibly interms of dropping off, etc. If stuck some day easier to organise a left to/from school without putting others out.

Bear in mind too Gaelscoil doesn't suit everyone and can sometimes have negative consequnces when child reaches secondary. Would they continue to a second level Gaelscoil and complete state exams through Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Blazer wrote: »
    Except it’s Irish and a complete waste of time.
    Much better learning French/German/Mandarin at that age than wasting it on an obsolete language.
    Kids at primary level would soak up languages.
    Every primary should be teaching one of those languages now than wasting it on Irish.

Except its not useless, many jobs in European public institutions will count Irish as a second language when applying for jobs and will qualify candidates for opportunities that they may not have otherwise had.

I wonder what opportunity there are for irish speakers in Europe?

Sunnyspot wrote: »
    I wonder what opportunity there are for irish speakers in Europe?

lots of jobs for Irish language translators

https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/new-jobs-for-translators-with-irish-announced-by-european-commission-in%E2%80%93ireland-and-brussels_en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Lots of jobs?

There's probably half a dozen. Translating documents no one ever reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

in my view if there is a school in walking distance would not go any further its gets even better when child that bit older and can walk to\from school alone.
    there was a change to schools in gealtacht being gealscoil few years ago so you may find that the local school has a high level of Irish and does a lot of Irish based teaching ect but is no longer classified as a gealscoil.
    Over the years 4 children have moved from gaelscoil to my daughers class. I'm not sure the reasons why. See one of them walking to school now which they could not have done as the gealscoil about 6 km away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement