Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, VR edition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I go t Alyx for free with my Valve Index. Every other headset is trash.

Erm...ok?

Shlippery wrote: »
    I really can't believe how much I'm digging Tetris Effect.

Feel like it'd be great craic after a load of mushrooms.

I'm down to the last 4 levels of Tetris Effect on Normal mode... gets hella tricky at this stage, but I'm totally zoned out throughout :D

Does the Quest version vibrate the controllers in tandem with the music too? I have that enabled on my PSVR version and it's great for added immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I go t Alyx for free with my Valve Index. Every other headset is trash.
    I bet console plebs are seething they can't play it on their under-powered door stops.

I bet PC plebs are seething that they can't play TLOU2 on their overpriced machines..

Jesus chill out lads, we're all in for promotion of VR not for fanboy-ism

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Playing a good bit of Tower Tag, very solid pick up and play multiplayer game thats like paintball/laser tag. 50% off in the Steam sale too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1187330/Tower_Tag/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Skyrim on psvr (ps4)... the graphics are painfully bad. Put me off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

I've nearly finished Half Life Alyx.. My controllers are all scuffed up and so is the wall, when you're in a frantic firefight its so easy to forget/ignore that boundary box. This thing is a lawsuit waiting to happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Just got my VROptician prescription lenses for the Index so I'll finally be able to get back and finish Half Life Alyx this weekend (my new glasses were too big)

Just got my VROptician prescription lenses for the Index so I'll finally be able to get back and finish Half Life Alyx this weekend (my new glasses were too big)

curious, would contacts not have been an option?

Pulled out the G29 and Playseat Challenge yesterday to play a bit of GT Sport on my PSVR.

First time playing the game, and I stuck on Spotify playing some Forza Horizon tracks

Played the time trial mode with a convertible car, set at sunset going around a mountainous beachside course, just zoning out and bouncing to the music while marvelling at the serene environment.

Total zen, absolutely classic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

As a big fan of Astro, I’ve just looked at a demo on YT of Trover based on the positive reviews above. Looks very good. Quick question: is is similar to Astro in terms of gameplay time start to finish?

dodzy wrote: »
    As a big fan of Astro, I’ve just looked at a demo on YT of Trover based on the positive reviews above. Looks very good. Quick question: is is similar to Astro in terms of gameplay time start to finish?

Yeah Trover is great... do you like the Rick and Morty sense of humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

mrcheez wrote: »
    Yeah Trover is great... do you like the Rick and Morty sense of humour?

Never got that either. But definitely a big fan of the first party platform setup. Once I get a bit of time, I’ll buy Trover, I’ve a 60€ smiths voucher but prob cheaper online.

Played GT Sport on the PS4 last night flatscreen for the first time with my G29/Playseat Challenge.

Have to play the flat screen version to unlock all the other tracks so that I can play them in VR.

Have to say, I've never been more appreciative of the depth of field that VR offers, compared to driving on the TV, even a 55" sitting right in front of me.

When coming to corners I never really felt they were oncoming until it was too late and I ended up hitting the brakes hard, whereas in VR I could get a real sense of how far the corners were away from me and could adjust my driving accordingly.

Driving flat screen is like I have Strabismus (condition where you have no depth perception) so I'd say people with that condition are probably not allowed to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GodsHelix

Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades is by far my favourite game on VR. It's on the Steam store, and made by a small group of developers but it's incredibly fun. It does require a fairly high understanding and knowledge of firearms to play properly, though, as it is mainly a gun sim first and a silly shooter second.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

GodsHelix wrote: »
    Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades is by far my favourite game on VR. It's on the Steam store, and made by a small group of developers but it's incredibly fun. It does require a fairly high understanding and knowledge of firearms to play properly, though, as it is mainly a gun sim first and a silly shooter second.

One of the first VR games I played and still one of my favourites

I havent played it in ages but I found that every mode they added other than the ranges was a pain in the arse, too much fluting around trying to be clever

the gun ranges and selections of firearms are brilliant though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Playing way too much Death:Unchained on the Quest for the last few days, ridiculously addictive in the all of a sudden my headset has run out of battery, well plug it in you say, so that is how 22:00 turned into 02:40 with the shadows in my bedroom turning into mist shrouded platforms complete with monastic archers

fenris wrote: »
    Playing way too much Death:Unchained on the Quest for the last few days, ridiculously addictive in the all of a sudden my headset has run out of battery, well plug it in you say, so that is how 22:00 turned into 02:40 with the shadows in my bedroom turning into mist shrouded platforms complete with monastic archers

It was my favourite game on Rift hands-down.

Think I put in around 30 hours before I finally beat the first boss :D

Unchained is a bit different I think though.

Playing through Return To Castle Wolfenstein on Quest at the moment.

Might put it on hold before I get too far into it, and continue when the Quest 2 arrives, as it should look fantastic (it already looks great on Quest).

Also looking to finally close off Farpoint on PSVR!

Aiming to finally complete Farpoint this week on PSVR. I keep getting "so far" and then get distracted by something else and by the time I come back to it I forget the controls and story :D

So pushing through to completion before Halloween.

Then over Halloween I'll throw on some spooky VR games... have a few on my backlog to complete!

• Advertisement

Farpoint done and dusted. Really enjoyed that one which surprised me considering the graphical downgrade of my OG PS4 compared to what I've been used to this year, but it's a real ride with the Aim controller and pretty damned difficult.

Gonna look through my backlog for some unplayed horror games on Rift / Quest this evening and tomorrow.

Finally got started in Lone Echo... very polished and the movement mechanic is lovely so I'll enjoy that one!

I also tried a few others that I picked up in the recent Steam sales:

1) Stride VR... really wanted this one, Mirror's Edge in VR. I was expecting the movement mechanic to be something smooth and natural like Sprint Vector, but they have unfortunately opted for using the joystick to move and then your arms to move faster, then jumping is a button, unlike how Sprint Vector do it by raising up your arms. All just a really confusing choice of controls and doesn't feel natural.

Had to refund it.

2) Westworld Awakening... currently €4.99 (80% off). This looks sharp as hell, almost Alyx levels of graphic detail. Really surprised me. I've only played about 20 mins so far, but going to reserve judgement until I've played a bit more, but looking promising.

I've also got Budget Cuts and Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners in the wings to play... should get lots of time to play in January with the lockdown!

Tried out Budget Cuts there... pretty fantastic and surprisingly well done, making full use of 360 play space, including physically crouching down behind desks to hide from robots etc. No "press button to crouch" here.

Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners... first thing that struck me is how well they've implemented to weighting of the weapons. You really do need to use both hands to grip heavy axes and the speed of movement is great.

Top notch stuff here with both of these.

Getting stuck into Lone Echo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Playing some VR games for the first time in a few months. Trying to clear some HDD space by finishing up already installed games.

I'd only the last level of Superhot to finish which didn't take too long. I think it's my favourite VR game so far.

Started and finished Creed over the last couple of days. Only VR game to make me sweat :o Not particularly challenging on normal, I was only knocked out on the last opponent. Ended up cheesing a win by hammer punching the top of his head!

Played 30 minutes of A-Tech Cybernetic before I became swarmed and died. The placement of the flashlight and grenades got me flustered, grabbing them instead of my guns. I'll probably go back to it, though the reviews aren't friendly.

I've also got Budget Cuts, Cosmic Trip, Gorn, and Alien Isolation installed. Dunno if I could handle Alien in VR...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Gorn was good fun. Got a bit too into swinging axes, overreached and bashed a wall twice :) The controllers seem fine.

The movement and positioning wasn't responsive enough for me so I toggled some settings. Instant motion sickness! That's enough VR for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Young lad has had SW Squadrons since Xmas, but haven't got round to playing the VR element yet.

Was really impressed by the previous Battlefront VR demo, how does the new Squadrons one compare?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Young lad has had SW Squadrons since Xmas, but haven't got round to playing the VR element yet.

Was really impressed by the previous Battlefront VR demo, how does the new Squadrons one compare?

Ah it's superb.. full proper implementation

Playing some of my early VR purchases from the backlog via Virtual Desktop - playing in bed too as I'm too lazy to setup my playspace, so playing a lot of the Xbox-controller games

Completed Edge of Nowhere recently... currently playing Narcosis. It's actually really immersive considering the helmet you are wearing suits the limited FOV of the Quest 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've been playing that VR Football Unleashed game, it's very good fun.

Advertisement