Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flush to wall compact sliding mitre saws?

Options
  • 27-04-2020 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I bought a Metabo KGS254M a couple of years back and while it's a solid saw, it proved far too big for my workshop due to the massive 790mm depth (accounting for rail travel).

Previously I'd bought a tiny little Parkside PKS1500A1 which I still use to this day loaded with a decent CMT blade. It doesn't slide so its capacity is limited. It has a relatively quiet and capable 1500w motor but as you'd expect from the bottom of the market it throws dust in every direction simultaneously (even with two extractors pointed at it) and worse than that; the fence is has a gentle concave curve from the outer edges to the middle.

So I'm looking at compact mitre saw options and I can't find many out there so far with the spec I'm interested in:

- 216 to 254 blade size.
    - Flush to wall
    - Crosscut up to ~250mm mark at 90/90 degrees.

Options:
    - DeWalt have several with side mounted rails; DWS773, DWS774 and DWS777; these are the only viable options I can find but I know they've got dust collection as bad as my Parkside.
    - There's the Kapex KS60 -> out of budget.
    - Unfortunately the Bosch Axial Glide 10" appears to have been phased out or is just unavailable in our market and the 12" would be both out of budget and too big!

Any others knocking around that I've missed; e.g. I was surprised not to see one from Makita in this sector, so maybe I've overlooked it?

Thanks

---

Parkside dust distribution system:

511076.jpg

Comments

Makita have the DLS111/LS1019/LS1219 and similar top slide mitre saws, but they're 'up there' on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

im in a similar dilemma. I have a dewalt 780 saw. its great but huge .
    the one area of my workshop that despiratly needs a hand is the miter saw station. right now its way to big and just a thrown together bench with storage (mostly crap) underneath. I am planning to use a tool chest (or 2 ) to create organised storage underneath . its a huge waste of space behind them though so I have been holding off.
    the two options I have to sort it are
    build the base closer o the wall and have the saw pull out on drawer runners to allow for the rails at the back but be out of the way when not used.
    the wall behind is a 9" cavity block and a shed on the other side. I was thinking of building a steel box into the wall that would allow the rails to go into

not sure that relevant to you . but I feel your pain

there are a few saws that don't stick out a lot but they are at the higher end budget wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

JayZeus wrote: »
    Makita have the DLS111/LS1019/LS1219 and similar top slide mitre saws, but they're 'up there' on price.

Thanks I'd seen the LS1019 and LS1219 - solid looking saws but surprisingly large for their cutting range.

The DLS111 looks super - hadn't seen that one before but I see what you mean about strong money - that's the same territory as the Kapex KS60 :eek: - out of my budget by a long way.

I reckon I'm back to the small DeWalt options :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'd be interested to know why you feel the 12" saws are too big.? With a good blade they are very accurate.They have a greater depth of cut and you can cut mitres on the vertical ( usually ) instead of having to cant the saw.
    In practice most people now use a miter saw for all crosscutting of solid timber and usually set up a miter saw 'station' for long lengths. A cheaper 10 " saw is more portable and fine for onsite jobs.
    I have the Milwaukee 12" saw for one reason - its digital readout which is brilliant. If the Bosch had a digital readout I would have bought it as the design of the saw is ideal for saving space in the shed.;)

recipio wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know why you feel the 12" saws are too big.? With a good blade they are very accurate.They have a greater depth of cut and you can cut mitres on the vertical ( usually ) instead of having to cant the saw.
    In practice most people now use a miter saw for all crosscutting of solid timber and usually set up a miter saw 'station' for long lengths. A cheaper 10 " saw is more portable and fine for onsite jobs.
    I have the Milwaukee 12" saw for one reason - its digital readout which is brilliant. If the Bosch had a digital readout I would have bought it as the design of the saw is ideal for saving space in the shed.;)

It's purely about my workshop - I've got a weird compromise between the tight space where the saw lives most of the time and that I have to move it any time I need to cut an angle towards the end of a longer work piece (anything greater than about 1.5m).

The compromise is so specific because I can cross cut long workpieces on the table saw but only at 90 degrees, or I rapidly start running into walls and shelves!

A 12" saw will take up more space than I can afford where it sits most of the time and will be more cumbersome to move around. To be honest, if the tiny Parkside had forward mounted sliding rails I'd be making my own fence for it and keeping it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I saw a video on YT recently where the guy built a shroud around the back of the chop saw and installed his dust extraction in the shroud.
    He was still bale to use the full functionality of the saw and keep the dust down.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It's purely about my workshop - I've got a weird compromise between the tight space where the saw lives most of the time and that I have to move it any time I need to cut an angle towards the end of a longer work piece (anything greater than about 1.5m).

The compromise is so specific because I can cross cut long workpieces on the table saw but only at 90 degrees, or I rapidly start running into walls and shelves!

A 12" saw will take up more space than I can afford where it sits most of the time and will be more cumbersome to move around. To be honest, if the tiny Parkside had forward mounted sliding rails I'd be making my own fence for it and keeping it!

I'm in the same boat - it kills me to see waste space behind the Milwaukee just to allow for the sliding rails. When I started woodworking the saw to aspire to was a radial arm saw. Its interesting to see how miter saws have completely replaced them. I have a small Scheppach miter saw with a table on top and use it for jobs around the house.
    I see the Bosch Axial glide 12" on Amazon for £799 and its so.......tempting. ;)

I'm in the same boat - it kills me to see waste space behind the Milwaukee just to allow for the sliding rails. When I started woodworking the saw to aspire to was a radial arm saw. Its interesting to see how miter saws have completely replaced them. I have a small Scheppach miter saw with a table on top and use it for jobs around the house.
    I see the Bosch Axial glide 12" on Amazon for £799 and its so.......tempting. ;)

I love the Axial Glide saws too - Bosch have a 10" version of it, which I'd love to try but they only appear to be found in the US market:

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-cm10gd-48431-p/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-CM10GD-10-Inch-Bevel-15-Amp/dp/B00G5R4E9A

They still have a massive footprint though - I see that Neil Paskin (Pask Makes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJVUQHOjhSw) has just cut over to the 12" version.. as always his build is impressive (an adaptation of his existing mitre station).

... sorry for the pun, totally intentional. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm such a whore for good tools. Only saw the axial from Bosch last week popped up on my feed and I was like what's this beauty.

Must stay away I don't need it. Or do I..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

spent some of the weekend looking at woodworking stuff on Youtube
    this is one site I liked

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYwsgA-ZhDGHUCb4YFG00xQ
    Be warned, it's addictive.
    I do like his presentation style

In passing I noticed the video reviews of the Festool Capex 60 dealing with the flush to wall concept
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgCgIIVD1ow&t=7s

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

spent some of the weekend looking at woodworking stuff on Youtube
    this is one site I liked

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYwsgA-ZhDGHUCb4YFG00xQ
    Be warned, it's addictive.
    I do like his presentation style

In passing I noticed the video reviews of the Festool Capex 60 dealing with the flush to wall concept
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgCgIIVD1ow&t=7s

Thanks - I've seen that pair of KS60 videos as it happens, they put the KS60 on to my lotto related wishlist! :D

I'm a subscriber to his YouTube channel - he's an ingenious product designer and engineer (addictive to watch as you say!). Another English YouTuber Matt Estlea described Peter Parfitt as "the most british man I've ever met", and it's so true - the slightly brusque, "stiff upper lip" style to his videos is amusing but doesn't detract from his engineering and woodworking skill; he's seriously on the ball and a continual problem solver.

His parf guide system is a lovely bit of design, I've used it for my MFT style bench top and numerous jigs, including this insanely simple panel/cross cut sled: https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/10/24/making-an-mft-style-panel-sled-in-10-minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I bought a Metabo KGS254M a couple of years back and while it's a solid saw, it proved far too big for my workshop due to the massive 790mm depth (accounting for rail travel).

Previously I'd bought a tiny little Parkside PKS1500A1 which I still use to this day loaded with a decent CMT blade. It doesn't slide so its capacity is limited. It has a relatively quiet and capable 1500w motor but as you'd expect from the bottom of the market it throws dust in every direction simultaneously (even with two extractors pointed at it) and worse than that; the fence is has a gentle concave curve from the outer edges to the middle.

So I'm looking at compact mitre saw options and I can't find many out there so far with the spec I'm interested in:

- 216 to 254 blade size.
    - Flush to wall
    - Crosscut up to ~250mm mark at 90/90 degrees.

Options:
    - DeWalt have several with side mounted rails; DWS773, DWS774 and DWS777; these are the only viable options I can find but I know they've got dust collection as bad as my Parkside.
    - There's the Kapex KS60 -> out of budget.
    - Unfortunately the Bosch Axial Glide 10" appears to have been phased out or is just unavailable in our market and the 12" would be both out of budget and too big!

Any others knocking around that I've missed; e.g. I was surprised not to see one from Makita in this sector, so maybe I've overlooked it?

Thanks

---

Parkside dust distribution system:

511076.jpg

What did you end up with. Interested in the dewalt myself due to space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I recently purchased the DeWalt 774 from woodies, shockingly enough it was cheaper then anywhere in the UK. It's a lovely compact saw, sits right back to the wall, the slide is incredibly smooth but the dust collection is less then desirable

I ended up doing nothing at all :D .. I still have the little Parkside and I try not to use it unless I really need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I have a similar situation, not a lot of space & and a Makita 10" sliding mitre saw that takes up a lot of room. I was looking online for folding bench ideas and found this idea for a Foldable mitre saw workbench:

It's a very clever design and an excellent use of space; I was thinking about having a crack at it or something similar as I rarely use my mitre saw, but went for a pull push saw instead. It might be worth a look depending on your workshop layout, though I would use plywood instead unistrut and channel hinges for the frame.

Advertisement