Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bikes on donedeal, ebay, adverts etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Lowballers are the same with cars and bikes. Sold 2 cars and a bike last year and all the offers bar the eventual buyers actually offered less than the dealers trade in price, now that's just insulting. When I told one of them they were offering me 2k lower than a dealer was, they said they'd match the dealers price, I told them I'll send them the dealers phone number. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Sold a mint Suzuki gn125 a couple of years back. Was looking for 1500 which was a huge bargain as it was low miles with crash bars and givi rack. The phone rang off the hook and I had fellas promising me they would be out that evening cash in hand. I stressed that it was on a first come first served basis.
    Basically got all the convoluted stories about not having ibt/licence/insurance/will you throw in helmet,gloves and jacket. Even I'll give you 100eur now and can you hang on a fortnight until I get paid? Lots of Brazilian lads interested as they use the smaller bikes for food deliveries. One guy insisted I drive it into town for him??
    Sold it to the first guy with full asking (wasnt going to budge) and immediatley took the add down off dd. He did say to me when handing over the bike "the clutch is the one on the left isnt it?". For weeks I had fellas ringing me (mostly foreign) asking about the bike. Bigger big/price, its sat on dd for months..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think alot of people actually price their bikes wrong tbh.

There's a bit of head up your own arse in relation to bikes in this country.

I don't buy the supply and demand argument. There's more bikes than riders.

listermint wrote: »

Totally agree, owners seem to think that every mod adds to the value, it doesn't, it adds to the desirability. Don't get me started on custom paint jobs and streetfighters. Also, sellers seem to be going by dealers prices. I think it makes it easier to sell a bike because its easy to undercut other sellers if you price it right and don't get greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

zubair wrote: »
    Totally agree, owners seem to think that every mod adds to the value, it doesn't, it adds to the desirability. Don't get me started on custom paint jobs and streetfighters. Also, sellers seem to be going by dealers prices. I think it makes it easier to sell a bike because its easy to undercut other sellers if you price it right and don't get greedy.

Add on's can take from the price as well.

I nearly gag when I see anodised bar ends etc.
    Worst add on in history must the Ali express "Akrapovic" though.
    Seen one on a multistrada one day.
    Nice bike and then ruin it with rubbish.

I don't really care what price someone is asking for a bike, I'll offer what I think the bike is worth and if they take that up their arse that's their own problem.
    I've no problem offering over the phone either.
    I'll ask for a more detailed description on the phone and if I go to see the bike and it's not as described, I'll walk away.
    That's the seller wasting my time.

If I'm selling I'll describe the bike on the phone and I'll give a good fair price that the buyer, when he sees the bike should be happy with.
    I'm not interested in squeezing money out of people to make money.
    I'd rather see a fella going off on his nice new bike happy with a good deal.

Most buyers sellers that I've had dealings with will know someone connected or know other people I know into bikes so a quick chat can reveal a lot about who you're dealing with.

Might be different in Dublin but down here it's a very small world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Exactly this. There are still bikes for sale on my saved ads list on Donedeal from last summer when I was in the market because they're priced too high. Sold my bike within a few weeks because it was priced correctly. Still got the inevitable low-ballers but that comes with the territory. A couple of interested came to look, offered a fair price (a couple of hundred off the asking) and we shook on it.

The market decides what a bike is worth. If the phone is ringing off the hook, you've priced it too low, no calls means it's too high.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Most bikes on Facebook Market Place - Ads don't mention the year, mileage, owners or service history. Stuff like "recent service" or "wont be faulted" aren't very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Most bikes on Facebook Market Place - Ads don't mention the year, mileage, owners or service history. Stuff like "recent service" or "wont be faulted" aren't very helpful.

"First to see will buy!"

Yeah, thanks, that's all the info I needed to know.

dmigsy wrote: »
    "First to see will buy!"

Yeah, thanks, that's all the info I needed to know.

Doesn't have the milage up and then has the cheek to say "no time wasters"

Or bike's clock is in miles but seller purposely puts km's on ad to make it seem less.

blade1 wrote: »
    Doesn't have the milage up and then has the cheek to say "no time wasters"

Or bike's clock is in miles but seller purposely puts km's on ad to make it seem less.

Surely it's the other way around, no? But ye, dealers do that trick too.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Surely it's the other way around, no? But ye, dealers do that trick too.

No.
    Say the bike has 40k miles done.
    Seller puts up 40k km's done.
    Leading potential buyers to think bike has only 25k miles done ;)

No.
    Say the bike has 40k miles done.
    Seller puts up 40k km's done.
    Leading potential buyers to think bike has only 25k miles done ;)

Ah, and then just saying oops afterwards, that is far to cheeky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Facebook ads are mostly defaulted to "automatic transmission".

They really are a lesson in how not to sell a bike.

Loads of semi literate people posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not pushed on selling, just testing the water.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not pushed on selling, just testing the water.
    :rolleyes:

Translate, "Don't bother your arse phoning up about it"

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

raven41 wrote: »
    Sold a mint Suzuki gn125 a couple of years back. Was looking for 1500 which was a huge bargain as it was low miles with crash bars and givi rack. The phone rang off the hook and I had fellas promising me they would be out that evening cash in hand. I stressed that it was on a first come first served basis.
    Basically got all the convoluted stories about not having ibt/licence/insurance/will you throw in helmet,gloves and jacket. Even I'll give you 100eur now and can you hang on a fortnight until I get paid? Lots of Brazilian lads interested as they use the smaller bikes for food deliveries. One guy insisted I drive it into town for him??
    Sold it to the first guy with full asking (wasnt going to budge) and immediatley took the add down off dd. He did say to me when handing over the bike "the clutch is the one on the left isnt it?". For weeks I had fellas ringing me (mostly foreign) asking about the bike. Bigger big/price, its sat on dd for months..

One guy just asked me to drive the bike 100km and deliver it for him in the middle of this lockdown and proceeds to look for discounts because I cant do it :pac: some lads have necks on them alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

I had the cheapest bike in the country up on dd at one stage miles where averge and a bucket load of mods. All I got was sob storys and half price merchants it goes both ways. I think some lads be bored or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Melted wrote: »
    One guy just asked me to drive the bike 100km and deliver it for him in the middle of this lockdown and proceeds to look for discounts because I cant do it :pac: some lads have necks on them alright!

Why do people seem to think the seller should bring it to them on the off chance they may buy it.
    Fair enough meeting part way, but 100km each way in the hopes he buys it and doesn't try get more off with the "ah sure you drove all this way might as well take €x for it now".

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Melted wrote: »
    Tell him to fup right off cheeky fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

ronanc15 wrote: »

Don't believe that for a minute. Tiny little pictures and very very little detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You would think he would hang onto it for another year, it would be priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

D3V!L wrote: »
    Don't believe that for a minute. Tiny little pictures and very very little detail.

Same. If someone was of the mind the have a zero mile bike they would most likely be the type of shkin to put up a proper ad showcasing the pristine condition.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Same. If someone was of the mind the have a zero mile bike they would most likely be the type of shkin to put up a proper ad showcasing the pristine condition.

Also wouldn't be outside with dirty tyres.
    There'd be way more info on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Also wouldn't be outside with dirty tyres.
    There'd be way more info on it too.

I zoomed in on the pics and the odo reads 000000, bikes never leave the factory with zero on the clock. Also you can see oil and grease around the headstock. The forks have been adjusted too. No way this is new.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I zoomed in on the pics and the odo reads 000000, bikes never leave the factory with zero on the clock. Also you can see oil and grease around the headstock. The forks have been adjusted too. No way this is new.

The more i look at the photos the more problems I see
    A true no millage bike would never see enough damp to get any surface rust there's some around the headstock.
    The blacks aren't in line with the fairing paint fade, there's way too many signs its not a genuine 0 mile bike. You'd know fairly quick when you seen it especially with tyres, fluids etc.

Sometimes people should go for the less is more look.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-drag-star-1100/27083967

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Sometimes people should go for the less is more look.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-drag-star-1100/27083967

At least you wouldn't need to put those orange reflectors on for other vehicles to spot you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

goblin59 wrote: »
    At least you wouldn't need to put those orange reflectors on for other vehicles to spot you

Not really sure how it makes me feel tbh, kinda looks like a toy, the helmet's the icing on the cake though.

Advertisement