Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Summer Challenge 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have professional running coach. His name is Vinny Mulvey. I thoroughly recommend him.

I have been an assistant running coach.

What do you mean a couple of runs? I have been running since i was 16. I've been in a running club for years.

Then you should know that what Mellor was saying was correct about the kind of time for a 10k based off the 5k. It's standard stuff.

And for an assistant coach, tony1980's advice that you found interesting should be fairly standard. For you, as an assistant coach and having spent years in a running club.

Either way, countering someone who is actually supporting the idea that you could run 10k I'm your goal time with "you don't know what you're talking about, I'm a real runner" isn't cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Then you should know that what Mellor was saying was correct about the kind of time for a 10k based off the 5k. It's standard stuff.
    Its not realistic.

But no worries. :)

Its not.

And he seems to think muscle insertion site means bone to tendon.

In the real world ...i can bomb around a 5k. There is no way i can sustain it for another 5k ...and i would need to slow down much more than 2 mins.

Pace is not 'an approximate constant' whatever that means.

How many races have you done at longer distances to compare it to?

FWIW, the calculators work pretty well for my times and I'm not even a real runner, but an average Joe that ran in races and marathons.

He also didnt say pace was an approximate constant.

Anyway, this is all derailing the thread. Mellor came to say you could do 10k in less than an hour based on your 5k time and you started to correct him with a terrible attitude. For someone that has trained to be a PT, you need to work on your engagement with people.

Now, can we get back to the Boards Summer Challenge.

Now, can we get back to the Boards Summer Challenge.

Yes ..sorry for bein a bitch.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And he seems to think muscle insertion site means bone to tendon.
    I said the insertion site is where a muscle connects to a bone via a tendon. I’ve no idea why you have an issue with that.
    In the real world ...i can bomb around a 5k. There is no way i can sustain it for another 5k ...and i would need to slow down much more than 2 mins.
    The +2mins was for a 20min 5km. Not for you.

Also, they were running a 10km, it’d be silly to run the first half at 5km pace. Maybe that’s why your 10km time falls off so badly.
    Pace is not 'an approximate constant' whatever that means.
    Maybe re-read what I wrote. As that wasn’t it.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I said the insertion site is where a muscle connects to a bone via a tendon. I’ve no idea why you have an issue with that.

The +2mins was for a 20min 5km. Not for you.

Also, they were running a 10km, it’d be silly to run the first half at 5km pace. Maybe that’s why your 10km time falls off so badly.

Maybe re-read what I wrote. As that wasn’t it.
    Cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Will ye go for a run, kiss and make up. Heads wrecked if nothing else ye will make people log off to exercise.

Will ye go for a run, kiss and make up. Heads wrecked if nothing else ye will make people log off to exercise.

You'll thank me in the summer, off with ya.

Kisses will have to wait until after social distancing restrictions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Sooooo enough running talk,:pac:

So last 2 weeks have been rather excellent with either cycling, running or weightlifting on 10 out of 14 days. Its the most consistency I've had for ages. I've watched food intake and cut back significantly on booze, trying to stick to 2200 cals. It works most day but others I just try not to go too overboard, 80/20 rule I guess.

Thanks for the weightlifting suggestion, I've gone with the nordic curls.

Runs have gone from 5km to 7-8kms and 10km is looking like it'll be a regular thing again in another week or two.

Cycles are now between 40- 50KM at least once a week.

End result is I'm 3lbs down in last 2 weeks. So happy with that.

On we go, only 25lbs to go!

Toying with a 4 week all-in blast, just to see what fat I can lose. Thinking 3 days a week weights with 5km runs at end, cycles at weekend, no beers, 2000 cal limit from June 2nd....... any suggestions on weightlifting plans?

If I do it, I'll post start & finish pics for morale support!

rofno1 wrote: »
    any suggestions on weightlifting plans?

What equipment do you have available?

• Advertisement

Luckily I have a full power rack, bench & 100kg Olympic barbell, 16kg kettlebell & 5kg & 7.5kg dumbells.

I'd love to get the point where I can do 10 pullups. Can barely do one now. And back to 34" waist....

Toying with a 4 week all-in blast, just to see what fat I can lose. Thinking 3 days a week weights with 5km runs at end, cycles at weekend, no beers, 2000 cal limit from June 2nd....... any suggestions on weightlifting plans?

If I do it, I'll post start & finish pics for morale support!

In fact I'd be happy to post update pics once a week for a warts & all help.

Lets call it "The subtract 10% from average middle aged month".

Luckily I have a full power rack, bench & 100kg Olympic barbell, 16kg kettlebell & 5kg & 7.5kg dumbells.

I presume you mean either an Olympic barbell with 80kg of plates or 100kg of plates...rather than a 100kg bar :pac:

I'd love to get the point where I can do 10 pullups. Can barely do one now. And back to 34" waist....

Start by testing yourself on a battery of exercises using the equipment you’ve got that focus on all over body workout. Then focus on improving on that for a period of time. It allows you see a measure and then a result or not based on effort.

Start by testing yourself on a battery of exercises using the equipment you’ve got that focus on all over body workout. Then focus on improving on that for a period of time. It allows you see a measure and then a result or not based on effort.

This I what I’ve got so far..

day 1
    1.Goblet squat
    2. Bb shoulder press
    3. Bb forward lunge
    4. Bb bench press
    5. Bicep curl
    6. Nordic curls

day 2
    1. Bb squat
    2 Deadlift
    3. Arnold press
    4.Bb reverse lunge
    5.. Bb incline press
    6. dumbell tri ext

day 3
    1. Landmine squat (10 reps)
    2. Landmine row (10 reps each side)
    3. Landmine lunge (10 lunges each side)
    4. Landmine shoulder press ( 10 each side)
    5. Landmine squat to press (10 reps)
    6. Landmine twists 20 rep

Chuck in a 5km run at the end of each and It’s shower and walk funny for 24 hours.

All help and comments much appreciated

This I what I’ve got so far..

day 1
    1.Goblet squat
    2. Bb shoulder press
    3. Bb forward lunge
    4. Bb bench press
    5. Bicep curl
    6. Nordic curls

day 2
    1. Bb squat
    2 Deadlift
    3. Arnold press
    4.Bb reverse lunge
    5.. Bb incline press
    6. dumbell tri ext

day 3
    1. Landmine squat (10 reps)
    2. Landmine row (10 reps each side)
    3. Landmine lunge (10 lunges each side)
    4. Landmine shoulder press ( 10 each side)
    5. Landmine squat to press (10 reps)
    6. Landmine twists 20 rep

Chuck in a 5km run at the end of each and It’s shower and walk funny for 24 hours.

All help and comments much appreciated

Each day has 2 pressing movements but across the week, apart from deadlift, there is only one pulling exercise. Absolute minimum, should be 1:1 in terms of pushing and pulling.

More vertical and horizontal pulling.

I'd also be throwing in a bit more hip hingeing. There's only deadlift.

Each day has 2 pressing movements but across the week, apart from deadlift, there is only one pulling exercise. Absolute minimum, should be 1:1 in terms of pushing and pulling.

More vertical and horizontal pulling.

I'd also be throwing in a bit more hip hingeing. There's only deadlift.

Thanks so much for that! Never occurred to me.

So I need to include bend over rows, pull-up progressions and erm, ??

Come on, help a lard ass out!

Thanks so much for that! Never occurred to me.

So I need to include bend over rows, pull-up progressions and erm, ??

Come on, help a lard ass out!

Do you have any bands?

I'll dig out a very good post on here about pull up progressions as well.

Do you have any bands?

I think I have some somewhere

Do you have any bands?

Could just use them to do things like straight arm pulldowns, face pulls, band pull aparts.

Barbell rows, inverted rows using the bar on the hooks in the rack, pendlay rows.

You just don't want to create imbalances that might yield injuries down the line by having a lot of pressing and little pulling.

ETA: RDLs single leg RDLs, good mornings,.etc for hip hinge

• Advertisement

If you haven't bands and want to get started get a bicycle tube, the bike shops are open

Thanks for all the help! I’ll keep you all posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Solid Work rofno1

Have been doing a solid routine of circuits x3 a week and 3 sessions on a stationary bike. Did an initial test on the bike 4 weeks ago for 20mins all out see what avg power I could sustain result was 197watts. Retested it today under the same conditions and averaged 231watts so happy with that result. Heart rate was the same avg for both tests so indicates to me that aerobic efficiency has improved.
    Circuits did a test session after 1 week of just doing short bouts of 7 exercises to clean up my technique and routine. Tested my time through 3 circuits and now have a target of 75% of that for 8 weeks time (7now).
    Weight is the same but the belt is in a notch. Feel lighter on my feet and less taxed in breathing (asthmatic )

Do you have any bands?

Here is said post from H****y on chin up/pull up progressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

jimbobaloobob well done, good to have a few base lines to compare rather than weight. Performance and changes in the belt buckle are a sure sign you are on the right road

Down a 1kg this week, really worked on the diet side of the equation this week. Back feels a lot better, did a lot of mobility stuff early on the week. So I reaped the rewards, just need to keep it going. I found it hard to hit the protein 1gm per kilo of body weight. I need to add one maybe two shakes a day

On the home gym front, put up the punch bag and a separate pull up bar as the one on the squat rack is not really high enough for hanging knee raises etc.

Another week down & another 1/2KG gone so now at 97.5KG.

Pretty much narrowed cal down to 2200 avg per day. Try to save some for weekend and a few bottles of beer. Definitely all about diet, some days are good some are not so good but I'm not gonna worry about it too much now, just try to keep to 2200.

Right after last weeks great advice & pointing out that I could be setting up for imbalance injuries (something I need to watch as stiff leg Deadlifts tend to aggravate my back), I've spent the week looking/researching at weights routine.

And this the new anti-middle age spread routine i've come up with:

Workout A Push
    Push ups
    tri ext
    Chest Flyes
    Bench press
    DB Shoulder Press
    DB Incline Press
    DB Arnold Press
    Front raises or laterals

Workout B Legs
    Stiff leg Deadlift
    Goblet Squat
    Calf raises
    BB Lunge
    BB Squats
    Bulgarian Squat
    Deadlift
    Wall squat 30 sec x 2

Workout C Pull
    Biceps/Hammer 8/8
    TRX pull ups
    reverse flyes
    Single arm rows each side
    Lat kneeling pulldown
    Cable pulls
    BB row
    Pullup Progressions

all 3x10 reps, 3 times a week, upping wieght when 3x10 is too easy. Rinse & repeat. Again 3 or 4 runs and a long cycle (40-50KM)a t weekend & see where I'm at end of August.

Now I need some critical input from you guys. Is this too much, too little, missing something?

Aim on starting this on Monday so crack on with advice.

Thank again to all of your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

Another week down & another 1/2KG gone so now at 97.5KG.

Pretty much narrowed cal down to 2200 avg per day. Try to save some for weekend and a few bottles of beer. Definitely all about diet, some days are good some are not so good but I'm not gonna worry about it too much now, just try to keep to 2200.

Right after last weeks great advice & pointing out that I could be setting up for imbalance injuries (something I need to watch as stiff leg Deadlifts tend to aggravate my back), I've spent the week looking/researching at weights routine.

And this the new anti-middle age spread routine i've come up with:

Workout A Push
    Push ups
    tri ext
    Chest Flyes
    Bench press
    DB Shoulder Press
    DB Incline Press
    DB Arnold Press
    Front raises or laterals

Workout B Legs
    Stiff leg Deadlift
    Goblet Squat
    Calf raises
    BB Lunge
    BB Squats
    Bulgarian Squat
    Deadlift
    Wall squat 30 sec x 2

Workout C Pull
    Biceps/Hammer 8/8
    TRX pull ups
    reverse flyes
    Single arm rows each side
    Lat kneeling pulldown
    Cable pulls
    BB row
    Pullup Progressions

all 3x10 reps, 3 times a week, upping wieght when 3x10 is too easy. Rinse & repeat. Again 3 or 4 runs and a long cycle (40-50KM)a t weekend & see where I'm at end of August.

Now I need some critical input from you guys. Is this too much, too little, missing something?

Aim on starting this on Monday so crack on with advice.

Thank again to all of your help.

Just on the deadlift - how confident do you feel on form/technique? More often than not, back issues associated with deadlifting come back to an issue with technique/form.

GY_1980 wrote: »
    Just on the deadlift - how confident do you feel on form/technique? More often than not, back issues associated with deadlifting come back to an issue with technique/form.

To be honest when gyms were open I’d often get PT to check my form on stiff legs deadlifts as I’d be aware they they can cause me issues. Always said I was fine but always but I’m wary. Think I’ll just keep weights lower as I think it’s combination of not too good form and dodgy back as it is. Standard deadlift are fine.

Thanks for that, any more comments very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

To be honest when gyms were open I’d often get PT to check my form on stiff legs deadlifts as I’d be aware they they can cause me issues. Always said I was fine but always but I’m wary. Think I’ll just keep weights lower as I think it’s combination of not too good form and dodgy back as it is. Standard deadlift are fine.

Thanks for that, any more comments very welcome.

Just a suggestion - you could drop your reps to 6-8 per set in the DL and SLDL. I’ve seen quite a few people doing these exercises with good form but who lose form once they hit the 8-12 range.

Advertisement