Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

• 06-04-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I reckon anywhere from 3-6 months

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think August myself. Some may never open again, unfortunately

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

July 19th

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

also August

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

i figure them and pubs will be the last to reopen, probably August for those that can reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

They will have to roll back some of the restrictions soon enough. They can’t keep the economy shut down forever. I wouldn’t be surprised to see gyms opened at the end of April or early May but with the expectation that social distancing and hygiene protocols will be put in place.

Whether members will be happy to return is the other thing. Some will, but I think it is going to devastate memberships in a lot of gyms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

They will have to roll back some of the restrictions soon enough. They can’t keep the economy shut down forever. I wouldn’t be surprised to see gyms opened at the end of April or early May but with the expectation that social distancing and hygiene protocols will be put in place.

Whether members will be happy to return is the other thing. Some will, but I think it is going to devastate memberships in a lot of gyms

One idea would be to introduce off peak memberships or even 24/7 swipe access memberships. I hate going to the gym when its busy anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Hopefully July but probably august

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

yeah, definitely July or August ... just not sure of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

August I'd say. Just in time to work on that Autumn bod.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I wouldn’t be surprised to see gyms opened at the end of April or early May but with the expectation that social distancing and hygiene protocols will be put in place.

Yeah good luck with that. There's not a hope you'd see a good level of adherence to any hygiene protocol that would require wiping down all bars, plates, clips, benches after using.

People don't give a shíte once they're done. So they won't do any of that. It's why so many don't bother their holes stripping a bar when they're done. Gym staff won't enforce either.

But it's a moot point because they're not opening anytime soon anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

July 19th

Aha Ted! Quarantine ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Aha Ted! Quarantine ends!

What about when marathon became snickers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

CWF wrote: »
    What about when marathon became snickers...

Or when Galway was liberated from the Indians

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Being optimistic June but probably nearer the end of it.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The economy will get back soon enough but gyms leisure centres and schools will probably be the last things to start up again, it all depends how the numbers go really

Hard to say, it does depend on numbers but I would not deem a gym to be any more risky than a coffee shop once the proper precautions are being taken.

I think sports events, concerts, festivals and other large gatherings will be the last thing to be allowed again. They’ll have to allow small businesses to get going again or there won’t be any left at the end of all this. There seems to be reasonable forbearance from landlords, banks and utility providers for now but that can’t last forever.

Yeah good luck with that. There's not a hope you'd see a good level of adherence to any hygiene protocol that would require wiping down all bars, plates, clips, benches after using.

People don't give a shíte once they're done. So they won't do any of that. It's why so many don't bother their holes stripping a bar when they're done. Gym staff won't enforce either.

But it's a moot point because they're not opening anytime soon anyway.

Fair point, gym I go to had a fairly good system in place before they closed but yeah, most people are not very considerate of others generally speaking. Getting everyone to thoroughly sanitise their hands before entering the premises and obviously asking people not to train if they have any ailment whatsoever would be a good start.

We’ll see, give it a few weeks and if things appear to be flattening out businesses might start to open again. Nobody can say at this stage.

I bought a pull up bar in the meantime and I’m on the hunt for a few kettlebells so getting a bit of a home setup together

Fair point, gym I go to had a fairly good system in place before they closed but yeah, most people are not very considerate of others generally speaking. Getting everyone to thoroughly sanitise their hands before entering the premises and obviously asking people not to train if they have any ailment whatsoever would be a good start.

We’ll see, give it a few weeks and if things appear to be flattening out businesses might start to open again. Nobody can say at this stage.

I bought a pull up bar in the meantime and I’m on the hunt for a few kettlebells so getting a bit of a home setup together

I'd love if it was sooner but it won't be.

And sanitising hands wouldnt necessarily be enough and you're relying on people getting a full coverage of their hands and judging by the hand washing practices of many, that might be tricky.

Have an antique 12kg kettlebells and red and purple bands with some workouts to do. It's not ideal but every but done is a bit less to do to get back to where I was before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I've started doing online classes 3 times per week instead. With an instructor outside of my own gym- own gym have a large staff but have been very off the ball as regards adapting and doing the Live classes- they could have had at least kept some work and revenue going that way. There seems to be a lot of demand for them. €10 per week 3 classes.
    Not sure what ahppens our memberships. Again no communication there. Mine's up in August so if closed until then I've lost a large part of the year. I know it's tough on them but I'm not a charity no more than they are.

I'd love if it was sooner but it won't be.

And sanitising hands wouldnt necessarily be enough and you're relying on people getting a full coverage of their hands and judging by the hand washing practices of many, that might be tricky.

Have an antique 12kg kettlebells and red and purple bands with some workouts to do. It's not ideal but every but done is a bit less to do to get back to where I was before this.

I agree, sure it's normal to see lads walking round Flyefit in their bare feet where someone might do push ups and pick up god knows what on their hands and then face. Flyefit need to get a grip on that before they can even start opening.

Im the same I got two sets of 20kg Hex dumbbells and then a set of 10kg kettle bells...lots of high rep lunges, Bulgarian split squat routines and goblet squats. then I have an old bench so can do chest and back with rows and the likes. Ive tons of bands too for other variations, just glad I have them as id go round the twist. ive been doing a full 24 hour fast every 8 days just to get rid of the demon dhrink....

That and walk the dog 2 hours a day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Tues 5th May after the BH weekend
    Cant close down forever , curve (or whatever they are trying to achieve) will be flattened by then or it'll never be.

people gotta live their lives virus or no virus.
    Same applies to pubs and clubs. The economy can't handle closure much longer than end of april.

Also if this goes on too long people will (rightly imo) just ignore the government - a general point not just a gym one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Won’t be going anywhere next nor near a gym until a vaccine is sorted for this.

Gyms are possibly the most unhygienic places on the planet.

Plenty of body weight exercise and cardio will do for the foreseeable.

Edit .... I cant see the country reopening until late summer so probably then. August / September maybe for schools starting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

No point to open again when the summer is over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm not too worried about when it'll re-open. As I'd rather wait for the initial excitement to wear off. A lot of social outlets could end up swamped at the start and then back to being ignored again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Won’t be going anywhere next nor near a gym until a vaccine is sorted for this.

Gyms are possibly the most unhygienic places on the planet.

Plenty of body weight exercise and cardio will do for the foreseeable.

Edit .... I cant see the country reopening until late summer so probably then. August / September maybe for schools starting again.

Whilst a bit of an extreme point of view, gyms are indeed a breeding ground of all things good and bad. Covid 19 is just so contagious you would be high risk in a gym. However, when the antibody tests are rolled out, gyms could reopen for those who were tested, another couple of months yet though.

Lots of people touching the equipment in a gym means you're going to find lots of bacteria in the equipment. We all routinely shed bacteria.

Gyms will reopen before antibody tests. People will just be expected to exercise more cop on and be more conscientious about hygiene before and after using equipment.

That's not to say they will be open soon; they'll be towards the end of the relaxation of restrictions so however long that phase is

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I wish. However it’s impossible to justify relaxation of the restrictions when the numbers are still increasing. I’d love to get back to the gym..my compound movements with only a single 20kg bar are getting boring now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I would say September perhaps with the new school year - possibly a bit earlier depending on how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Gloves will likely have to be provided and used for all members at all times. Staff required to enforce the use of said gloves as well as constant cleaning of equipment.
    There won't be much appetite for any business to remain closed once the lockdown is over, all that can be done is to enforce hygiene restrictions when Gyms do reopen. You would imagine that pools and saunas will remain closed for a period.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

On the topic of gym reopenings, does anyone know of a site online where I could buy kettlebells/dumbbells for reasonably good price? All sites I've looked on are either too expensive or their stock is sold out. Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    On the topic of gym reopenings, does anyone know of a site online where I could buy kettlebells/dumbbells for reasonably good price? All sites I've looked on are either too expensive or their stock is sold out. Thanks in advance!

Adverts or Done Deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement