Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

So in the end ALEX WAS NOT POSITIVE! Yup, no hysteria at all then!

Here's an account from the ChessMates founder, Jurriaan Kien:
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-adventures-in-the-time-of-corona
    Seems quite arrogant about the affair. A global pandemic should not interfere with his chess event!

A weird impression you seemed to have got. Did not get the same feel from the article. Plus, it turns out that there was no Coronoa Covid 19 and Alex was there because he coughed at the wrong moment I guess.

Very unlucky.

"their oldest player, Alex Goss, was taken to the hospital because he was coughing. But the rest of his team could fly home. But we were told at the hotel that our team had been quarantined."

"He's been in another hospital all by himself for the last two weeks. All he had was a cough. He was bored stiff.

Because his tests were negative he was allowed to leave the hospital on Sunday evening. The end of our quarantine was documented by two local television teams. Afterwards we met Alex and our hosts for a farewell party."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DancingSpaniel

After testing positive, he got better and when he tested virus-free they ended his quarantine. The concern the healthcare people had was him infecting other people, not whether his symptoms were mild or not.

After testing positive, he got better and when he tested virus-free they ended his quarantine. The concern the healthcare people had was him infecting other people, not whether his symptoms were mild or not.

No he never had it! The original test was never confirmed and this was mentioned in the original article. Hysteria and panic won out.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

spidersweb wrote: »
    No he never had it! The original test was never confirmed and this was mentioned in the original article. Hysteria and panic won out.

eh? he was tested positive for the coronavirus according to all sources, thats not hysteria.

• Advertisement

Joedryan wrote: »
    eh? he was tested positive for the coronavirus according to all sources, thats not hysteria.

No he wasn't!. All of the competitors underwent coronavirus tests, and the Irish man’s results came back as “preliminarily positive.”

We never got any confirmation he was positive.
    If he had been positive then there would have been SOME other people infected. None were!

*Deleted*

*mod note* Do not copy and paste full articles from a different website - that is against copyright - a link will suffice along with a summary.

As has been pointed out above this is not exactly a great article, IMO obviously.

As has been pointed out above this is not exactly a great article, IMO obviously.

Great or not is irrelevant, is it true and the answers seems to be absolutely yes. I happen to agree it is not a great article but is better than the speculation before it.

A big clue is in the headline of the original headline:

Irish Citizen in Russia’s Arctic Hospitalized With Suspected Coronavirus/

"Suspected" Coronavirus IS THE GIVE AWAY.

As is the fact that NOBODY was positive! Nobody. Tested three times a day they were.

Great or not is irrelevant, is it true and the answers seems to be absolutely yes.

A big clue is in the headline of the original headline:

Irish Citizen in Russia’s Arctic Hospitalized With Suspected Coronavirus/

"Suspected" Coronavirus IS THE GIVE AWAY.

As is the fact that NOBODY was positive! Nobody. Tested three times a day.

A positive hit for coronavirus is not to be ignored, I think everybody can appreciate that. That whole article strikes me as very bizarre in its attitude.

• Advertisement

"Four times a day each of us was examined. Three times each day we were tested for corona.

The personnel in protective suits
    All negative, nobody was sick. Food was brought"

A positive hit for coronavirus is not to be ignored, I think everybody can appreciate that. That whole article strikes me as very bizarre in its attitude.

What is bizarre is the hysteria and refusal to accept the facts and obvious overreaction. It was never all that likely and I said so weeks ago, only learning today from this article that yes, it was all panic and hysteria.

Had it been Moscow or a big city , then yeah some real chances back then. This was in MURMANSK! Middle of nowwhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yeah, the photo of the players in quarantine isn't exactly in quarantine!

I think it's written by someone for whom English isn't their first language? Thought a bit of it read like it was unclear as to who was then deemed negative/released

What is bizarre is the hysteria and refusal to accept the facts and obvious overreaction. It was never all that likely and I said so weeks ago, only learning today from this article that yes, it was all panic and hysteria.

Had it been Moscow or a big city , then yeah some real chances back then.

Its not hysteria to quarantine after a positive test. Better safe than sorry.

cdeb wrote: »
    Yeah, the photo of the players in quarantine isn't exactly in quarantine!

I think it's written by someone for whom English isn't their first language? Thought a bit of it read like it was unclear as to who was then deemed negative/released

I dont know, I just thought it read a bit like "what was all the fuss about". Mind you I can imagine the hassle for all involved too, but if the correct procedures were followed they can all be thankful.

Nah that is a cop out and the tired and worn out, thinking and language that is used and abused far too much. Context matters as does actual knowledge and experience. They went into panic mode and try the line about Better safe than sorry, which is always the last line to justify stupid unthinking actions. Face saver. Apply this " Better safe than sorry, " to anything and it works. bearing in mind we are also talking about weeks ago now.

I dont know, I just thought it read a bit like "what was all the fuss about". Mind you I can imagine the hassle for all involved too, but if the correct procedures were followed they can all be thankful.

They panicked and hysteria won out, hence they did not follow the correct procedures in this particular setting.Correct procedures is just another face saving line. It is very clear that they were tested 3 times a day (that is either true or it is not) NOBODY was positive, again true or not true, but not hard to understand. If the guy is telling fibs then yeah anything goes. Assuming the facts as he says are indeed the facts then it is very clear that it was typical overreaction that we see often in such situations as we have been having for weeks now.

Nah that is a cop out and the tired and worn out, thinking and language that is used and abused far too much. Context matters as does actual knowledge and experience. They went into panic mode and try the line about Better safe than sorry, which is always the last line to justify stupid unthinking actions. Face saver. Apply this " Better safe than sorry, " to anything and it works. bearing in mind we are also talking about weeks ago now.

What would your suggestion be? Let them go on a flight and potentially infect lots more?

What would your suggestion be? Let them go on a flight and potentially infect lots more?
    There is no risk and never was a risk so the whole question is wrong. There never should have been anything done, especially AS HE WAS LEAVING!

Dig enough and we might find someone got a bright idea and was either hysterical or and wanted some drama or to feel important. People when given any bit of "power" tend to be prone to this, especially in mad scenarios as we have now. Straw Man points to be honest.

Likely that nobody there even knew how to do a test properly (no fault of their own) but just "to be on the safe side"
    etc etc

On a par with telling people from anywhere in the world in say the time of the troubles in the 80s not to come to Dublin, Ireland coz ya know, all that bombing and trouble in Ireland , just to be on the safe side, don't risk it.

Have to wonder if there is not a huge hoax of sorts going on here now with this whole farce . https://youtu.be/bM9aZflBoOU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DancingSpaniel

Have to wonder if there is not a huge hoax of sorts going on here now with this whole farce . https://youtu.be/bM9aZflBoOU

In case anyone clicks that link, it's Corbett, one of the far right conspiracy crazies -- don't be fooled by his pseudoscientific patter. We could start debunking this here, but it's way off the forum topic :D

You "have to wonder" if coronavirus is a hoax?

50k people dead, and it might be a hoax?

****ing hell, there's no hope for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Agreed. It was wreckless for the tournament to go ahead in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Maybe spidersweb is Donald Trump??

50k dead? Average age and how many actually died because of the virus as opposed to with it. There is a difference. People are dying everyday everywhere for all sorts of reasons. As for the reference to a hoax, that is about the reaction to it and the substance of the claims being made. I keep an open mind.

I have said I am wondering, not claiming anything one way or the other, asking questions, which is something more people should do more often frankly.

Just like when it was claimed that an Irish player has the virus when it turns out he didn't, and nobody in the whole event did. And correct me if I am wrong but the heading of this thread is Coronavirus! Hence the topic now being covered.

Can people not consider different perspectives and angles of topics now? 1984 was a work of fiction, not a manual.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Maybe spidersweb is Donald Trump??
    Strange notion and irrelevant anyway. You do know we are being ruled over by the green lizard people?

50k dead? Average age and how many actually died because of the virus as opposed to with it. There is a difference. People are dying everyday everywhere for all sorts of reasons. As for the reference to a hoax, that is about the reaction to it and the substance of the claims being made. I keep an open mind.
    While there's an element of truth in this, it's still remarkably disingenuous to try dismiss this whole thing as a hoax. Here's a quote (with sources linked) from one of the main sites tracking the pandemic worldwide, worldometers.info
    Italian army trucks form a long line in the center of Bergamo to transport the coffins from the Bergamo cemetery to cremation sites in other regions, as morgues can't cope with more coronavirus deaths
    Obituaries in the local newspaper went from 1.5 pages (on Feb. 9) to 10 pages (on March 13)

That was two weeks ago, and the situation in Italy has been pretty much constantly at that level since then. That's not a hoax. That's a fairly serious issue.

"I keep an open mind" is usually short-hand for "I'll believe whatever aul nonsense I can find online because it makes me feel edgy and in the know". Usually goes with "I'm an independent thinker" and usually ignored basic verifiable facts.

In case anyone clicks that link, it's Corbett, one of the far right conspiracy crazies -- don't be fooled by his pseudoscientific patter. We could start debunking this here, but it's way off the forum topic :D

Coronavirus is the thread here. As for who, or what, this guy is. You might be right in saying he is talking nonsense but why should I believe you over him? You are coming on here and declaring that you know best and people should not believe this guy because you say this that and the other. Heck don't even look at what this guy has to say?

You might have a valid point in not believing the merit of this guys arguments and points, fair enough, but I keep an open mind and care only if people seem to make sense. There are still people who believe in a flat earth and all manner of weird and untrue things. I have no problem simply examining the cases on merit and making my own mind up.

Certainly I won't be going by the numbers, as at one time it was common knowledge that the earth was the centre of the universe and all manner of things/notions, turned out to be wrong.

Try do a bit of WONDERING- honest to goodness, it will do you the world of good and is harmless too. Don't be fooled by people telling you not to be fooled who provide and offer zero reasons why someone is supposedly wrong.

Feel free to explain and or refute any claim made in this video: https://youtu.be/RkJELpndAOs

I repeat what I said before

Have to wonder if there is not a huge hoax of sorts going on here now with this whole farce.

While there's an element of truth in this, it's still remarkably disingenuous to try dismiss this whole thing as a hoax.

Give the full and proper quote- it makes a world of difference.

"Have to wonder if there is not a huge hoax of sorts going on here now with this whole farce."

• Advertisement

That was two weeks ago, and the situation in Italy has been pretty much constantly at that level since then. That's not a hoax. That's a fairly serious issue.

"I keep an open mind" is usually short-hand for "I'll believe whatever aul nonsense I can find online because it makes me feel edgy and in the know". Usually goes with "I'm an independent thinker" and usually ignored basic verifiable facts.
    A lot of projection there to be honest and incorrect too. You can continue to believe whatever nonsense you like at will.

As I said 1984 is a work of fiction not a manual. You are free to explore and examine issues any way you like. I am not trying to persuade anybody of much of anything but I do detect a huge element of "GROUP THINK" in play and then "WRONG THINK" not that far away either. Give some time and space and we might then have a sort of MOB RULE or MOB MENTALITY prevailing.

Just consider the scale and proportions of things going on and feel free to tell me you are so sure it all makes sense and is being done for the right reasons, in the right way, and with the right outcomes.

I am by no means so confident as you seem to be. Shoot me for that!

Advertisement