Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC248: Adesanya v Romero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Have to say yoels not half wrong in his little rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The women saved UFC's arse tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Still Ill

ASOT wrote: »

He shouldn't have just stood there for most of the fight so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

I think he is,he stood waiting to counter,its easy to stand and wait to counter.Its harder to be offensive against a counter striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I actually enjoyed the main. Very smart fight from Adesanya.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed the main. Very smart fight from Adesanya.

I agree,i think hes gonna hold that belt for a while he will get impressive knockouts but he done what he had to here in an awkward fight,hes super skilled imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You cant win the belt standing in the middle of the cage bouncing from one leg to the other though. He can say all that after and yes people want absolute wars but he never went for it either. Saving all that energy for 4 rounds if he wanted that war he should have put it all on the line in the last round..the gladiators would have got boo’ed if they just stood there too..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The main fight was a borefest but the women's fight is one of the greatest of all time and I'm including all fights in that comment not just women's flights.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Yoels got a future in politics with all his power to the people talk.

Ah I get that but you can see in round 4 and round 5 Izzy litrally running away.

I think I just built the fight up in my head that it was going to be amazing and feel deflated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Ah I get that but you can see in round 4 and round 5 Izzy litrally running away.

I think I just built the fight up in my head that it was going to be amazing and feel deflated.

was a weird fight, look on the bright side we might get joanna v weili again for international fight week hopefully.

I usually ain't a fan of Mayweather style mma but i kinda enjoyed Izzys performance,if they just kept fighting eventually hes gonna put Yoel down with leg kicks and strikes.

I agree,i think hes gonna hold that belt for a while he will get impressive knockouts but he done what he had to here in an awkward fight,hes super skilled imo.

Yeah, awkward being the operative word here. Would have been so easy for him to get frustrated and get sucked into a slugfest. He was patient and smart.

The people booing are morons imo.

If I hadn't watched the fight I'd have assumed Romero had been put to sleep. Incoherent babble in that post fight interview.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Izzy ran away when he got closed down, maybe twice, three times..no one wants to get hit with those bombs from Yoel so its hard to blame him but its not like he was running away the whole fight..Yoel did as much running, it was just he was running on the one spot where he stood for pretty much 5 rounds lol

Axwell wrote: »
    Izzy ran away when he got closed down, maybe twice, three times..no one wants to get hit with those bombs from Yoel so its hard to blame him but its not like he was running away the whole fight..Yoel did as much running, it was just he was running on the one spot where he stood for pretty much 5 rounds lol

He's a strange creature Yoel.

Atleast we got that woman's fight.

Anyway catch yous later lads, not a bad card overall to be fair.

Yeah, awkward being the operative word here. Would have been so easy for him to get frustrated and get sucked into a slugfest. He was patient and smart.

The people booing are morons imo.

The people had just seen one of the greatest 5 round wars 30 minutes beforehand..adrenaline pumping..the potential of another war to then watch Yoel stand in the middle of the ring barely doing anything, wouldnt really consider people morons for feeing a bit let down

If I hadn't watched the fight I'd have assumed Romero had been put to sleep. Incoherent babble in that post fight interview.

In fairness he doesn’t speak English very well but he tries. Maybe should utilise the translators a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭al87987

Disappointing main fight alright, Yoels occasional big left versus Adesanya leg kicks for 25 minutes with a lot of inactivity in between was always gonna be a tough watch after the womens fight.

Yoels dropped 4 of his last 5 and Joanna 4 of her last 6 for that matter so no real surprises.

Hope Paulo Costa beats Adesanya next time out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Joanna Jedrzejczyk's face in the end made her look like a Klingon from Star Trek

• Advertisement

The people had just seen one of the greatest 5 round wars 30 minutes beforehand..adrenaline pumping..the potential of another war to then watch Yoel stand in the middle of the ring barely doing anything, wouldnt really consider people morons for feeing a bit let down

Feeling let down is fine. And understandable. But booing Adesanya in that fight was just stupid and moronic. And it was obvious after that most of it was directed at him.

He fought intelligently and kept himself safe while winning the fight. They wanted him to risk his title by getting into a slugfest. Complete idiots if they thought he was ever going to do that.

Thankfully he had the maturity and self belief to stick to what was working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Loved the co main
    And as much as the main was a bit of a bore fest I didn’t get the booing?

al87987 wrote: »
    Disappointing main fight alright, Yoels occasional big left versus Adesanya leg kicks for 25 minutes with a lot of inactivity in between was always gonna be a tough watch after the womens fight.

Yoels dropped 4 of his last 5 and Joanna 4 of her last 6 for that matter so no real surprises.

Hope Paulo Costa beats Adesanya next time out

I really rate Izzy personally, i think people will see what hes all about against Costa and i know its early days but i think hes the real deal and is gonna dominate for a long time.

I see him stopping Costa pretty easily,if you come after him he will counter you and finish you.Costa is not in his league imo hes just a buffed up average fighter not in the same league.

Feeling let down is fine. And understandable. But booing Adesanya in that fight was just stupid and moronic. And it was obvious after that most of it was directed at him.

He fought intelligently and kept himself safe while winning the fight. They wanted him to risk his title by getting into a slugfest. Complete idiots if they thought he was ever going to do that.

Thankfully he had the maturity and self belief to stick to what was working.

I dont think most of it was directed at him at all, the booing started early in the first round. They showed you a few Yoel fans with a flag at the end and people cheering when he was on about the gladiators but the booing was happening from the start of the fight when neither of them were throwing a punch, sure the ref even told them to get to it and start fighting.

Izzy fought his fight and nothing wrong at all with that but after watching the previous fight people are going to be pumped and expect another war, it doesnt surprise me at all people were booing considering how the first round went coming off the back of the last fight.

In fairness he doesn’t speak English very well but he tries. Maybe should utilise the translators a bit more.

I didn't mean the broken English. I meant his general point about people wanting a fight, while he stood in the centre of the octagon bouncing on one spot for 20 minutes. He stood in a cocoon for the first 5.

At least Adesanya had a title to defend. Romero had nothing to lose and still did the square root of nothing. Probably the last chance he'll get at a title.

I dont think most of it was directed at him at all, the booing started early in the first round. They showed you a few Yoel fans with a flag at the end and people cheering when he was on about the gladiators but the booing was happening from the start of the fight when neither of them were throwing a punch, sure the ref even told them to get to it and start fighting.

Izzy fought his fight and nothing wrong at all with that but after watching the previous fight people are going to be pumped and expect another war, it doesnt surprise me at all people were booing considering how the first round went coming off the back of the last fight.

Judging by the post fight interviews in the ring, and when the fighters were on the big screens waiting for the results, it sounded very much to me like Adesanya was getting the lions share of the boos.

If that crowd judge the quality of a fight by the one that’s gone before they were always gonna be disappointed. Booing that main event indicates two things to me. Too much drink a not enough understanding of the sport.

I didn't mean the broken English. I meant his general point about people wanting a fight, while he stood in the centre of the octagon bouncing on one spot for 20 minutes. He stood in a cocoon for the first 5.

At least Adesanya had a title to defend. Romero had nothing to lose and still did the square root of nothing. Probably the last chance he'll get at a title.

Sorry, took you up wrong. when you said incoherent babble I though you meant you couldn’t understand him.

Its a very different scenario though saying that sitting at home watching it on your tv seeing everything up close to being up in the stands in a packed arena.

People booing when theres two submission guys on the ground and people want them to stand up and bang, thats stupid..people booing two guys barely moving for 5 minutes after one of the greatest and most intense fights in mma and the atmosphere and adrenaline from it for 30 minutes to noting..I can see why they might feel the fight was a bit poor and start to boo.

Izzy did what he needed to do, it wasnt pretty or very entertaining but people booing at the end because he won are expecting a lot considering Yoel made no real effort to take it in the last round, thats on Yoel.

Its a very different scenario though saying that sitting at home watching it on your tv seeing everything up close to being up in the stands in a packed arena.

People booing when theres two submission guys on the ground and people want them to stand up and bang, thats stupid..people booing two guys barely moving for 5 minutes after one of the greatest and most intense fights in mma and the atmosphere and adrenaline from it for 30 minutes to noting..I can see why they might feel the fight was a bit poor and start to boo.

Izzy did what he needed to do, it wasnt pretty or very entertaining but people booing at the end because he won are expecting a lot considering Yoel made no real effort to take it in the last round, thats on Yoel.

I’m sorry I just can’t agree with booing fighters under any circumstance where they are fighting within the rules. They’re compromising their own safety and professional career every time they step in a ring. And booing, besides being extremely disrespectful often shows complete ignorance of the sport as was the case last night.

And it’s entirely unfair to judge a fight comparatively towards one that has happened before. Especially one as exciting as we saw in the co main. Even if you are in the crowd.

In my experience booboys at MMA events tend to be the same ones that wouldn’t know an armbar from an uppercut and have too much drink on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Costa looked like he was wearing lipstick :D

Advertisement