Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most underated song

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Technically that means the original is even more underrated ;)
    Especially since it's so similar

Raf - Self Control

I remember both versions being in the (European) charts at the same time. Not unusual - same for Stuck On You - Lionel Richie and Trevor Walters during the same year.

And there's this cover - also from 1984. My own upload.

This one, those who watched movie Death Sentence will understand:there's a sizeable fan fiction cult built around billy darley

https://youtu.be/Z4RWhVKZ9Vk

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Love this one from the captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

This song is brilliant by Melanie Safka. I think it did well when it was released but I never hear it played or talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

This is never played on any of the channels I listen to.
    Great song.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

neirbloom wrote: »

Same, though probably prefer this collaboration with Zappa

and staying with Frank, the song I got married to :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Absolutely. Also really love this short for no good reason,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sniff n the Tears...

Drivers Seat.

I always play it loud in the car. Great driving song.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Some or my favourites
    Eddie money - take me home tonight
    The outfield - your love
    Tegan and Sara - the con
    The Aces - stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

For me gotta say this lifts me everytime i hear it , nothing beats a brass band on top form.

Look them up on spotify for best sound quality - There is no perfect youtube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not sure its truly underrated but it never gets a mention when Prince comes up. But what a track it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Talk Talk - Life’s What You Make It

One of the best songs ever

Has the 'hit problem' though, heard it too often. Living In Another World would be another underrated song favourite.

Talk Talk are one of the most underrated bands I think. Especially from Colour of Spring (absolute masterpiece) onwards. Sadly Mark Hollis passed away earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The sadly neglected Tanz Bambolina. A true miracle and pinnacle of Euro pop. It really encapsulates all that the European project is about, neatly wrapped up in a masterclass in 80s pop music, ticking all the boxes, synthetic, 'space' sound, handheld keyboard, robotic dance (well, from the man who gave us Rock and Roll Robot), language switching, a smattering of krautrock, but tempered by the genuinely neat melodic phrase starting with 'amami, baciami, etc'. It has it all. Yet rather than a world recognised classic of the genre, it rests, underrated. For the gap between merit, and rating, it surely claims the prize here.

Think of 1995 Britpop singles and Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Cast, Supergrass all spring to mind.

But this was best of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

neirbloom wrote: »

Still gets plenty of play in my kitchen. I’d say one of the top songs of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Morgans

The two most popular Squeeze songs were picked earlier. Both brilliant. But in terms of a pure pop song, their best and therefore underrated is this one. Could happily listen on repeat for hours.

https://youtu.be/cp9n3mhobPw

Morgans wrote: »
    The two most popular Squeeze songs were picked earlier. Both brilliant. But in terms of a pure pop song, their best and therefore underrated is this one. Could happily listen on repeat for hours.

https://youtu.be/cp9n3mhobPw

Brilliant.

This compilation belongs in every collection.

R-806982-1345653584-2102.jpeg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Morgans

Brilliant.

This compilation belongs in every collection.

R-806982-1345653584-2102.jpeg.jpg

Love mcalmont and butler and I don't know if this should be considered a britpop song - from that era and members of the band connected with the las and ocean colour scene but this is such a good song, different style admittedly. Another one that has never got old despite constant playing.

https://youtu.be/PUzxds_XqQM

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Maybe something like "Leave out all the rest" by Linkin Park, there are many songs that are better than "In the end", this is why you can't trust music charts, the demo of In the End was actually better than the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tears for Fears - you hear Shout, Everybody wants to rule the world and Mad World all the time, but this one (which was also a big hit at the time) has been largely forgotten:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

One the greatest artists of all time yet so many of his songs so many don't know!
    Not his song though, Prince also done a cover of this. He's good though.

Yeah, for me her best song.

Class

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Not his song though, Prince also done a cover of this. He's good though.

Ya until someone mentioned it earlier in the thread i never knew it wasnt his!

Never heard any of the other versions either but i remember since i first heard me da playing this when i was a kid that always liked how it sounded obviously more as got older.

As i mentioned in the original post a lot of songs he has released are obviously well known but he has a few that are not played as much which should be!

Ya until someone mentioned it earlier in the thread i never knew it wasnt his!

Never heard any of the other versions either but i remember since i first heard me da playing this when i was a kid that always liked how it sounded obviously more as got older.

As i mentioned in the original post a lot of songs he has released are obviously well known but he has a few that are not played as much which should be!

Here's Prince version :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

loyatemu wrote: »
    Tears for Fears - you hear Shout, Everybody wants to rule the world and Mad World all the time, but this one (which was also a big hit at the time) has been largely forgotten:

I think their three most underrated songs are The Working Hour, Advice for the Young at Heart and The Hurting. I could not say which is most underrated.

Hoping for a 30th anniversary Super Deluxe Edition of The Seeds Of Love in line with the previous two albums. Released on 25 September 1989, same day I started in Waterford RTC. Came home with the LP in a KG Discs bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Any song by the go betweens. The greatest band of the 80s bar none. REM and the Smiths were great but the go betweens were a different level. Great sound and brillant lyrics. Australia's greatest musical act. Always felt if they were from london or Manchester they would have got more acclaim. Anything outside Britian or USA does seem to be seen as little bit less cool from music press intelligensia.

Actually two more Australian artists also are underated.
    Nick Cave is one of best songwriters of last 20 years yet he is underated while someone like Paul Weller ( who was a great songwriter in 80s eg The Jam and Style Council ) who hasnt written anything since mid 90s is heralded by British music press, while Cave is ignored.

Inxs , not a great band by any means. But they had some cracking singles.

Anywhere here is some great songs underated from Downunder

1 The Go Betweens Streets of your Town
    2 The Go Betweens Cattle and Cane
    3 The Go Betweens Bachelor kisses
    4 The Go Betweens Spring Rain
    5 Nick Cave Into my Arms
    6 Nick Cave Mercy Seat
    7 Nick Cave The Ship Song
    8 Nick Cave The one I have been waiting for
    9 Inxs Never tear us Apart
    10 Inxs Mystify

From Irish point of view probaly the most underated Irish songwriter is Rory Gallagher. People say he was great guitarist which he was but people rarely say he was a great songwriter which he was. Here are some of his great underated songs

1 Rory Gallagher Philby
    2 Rory Gallagher A Million Miles Away
    3 Rory Gallagher I Fall Apart
    4 Rory Gallagher Crest of a Wave
    5 Rory Gallagher Daughter of the Everglades

Advertisement