Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard+ courses for 2019/20 released, open to people in current employment

• 15-05-2019 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭

Just a heads-up because I don't see this posted elsewhere but Springboard have announced their 2019/20 course list for anyone who is interested. Surprised at the lack of discussion on it in prior years, given how long this programme has been ongoing, but these courses are tailored to those in current employment and are funded at 90% of course fee with most courses being part time. If you're thinking of pursuing further education this is a good option with many of the courses aimed at plugging skills gaps in the workforce.

Have you previously enrolled or completed a Springboard course? Care to share your experience here?

Linky: https://springboardcourses.ie/search

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

website is down...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've signed up to one via Springboard starting in September, looking forward to it now. As promised, just had to pay 10% of the fees. (At least so far)
    I will report back here when I have something to report! I haven't been in formal education in a very long time so I'm looking forward to it - and wondering how I will fit it in with a full-time job. I'm sure I will manage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

miamee wrote: »
    I've signed up to one via Springboard starting in September, looking forward to it now. As promised, just had to pay 10% of the fees. (At least so far)
    I will report back here when I have something to report! I haven't been in formal education in a very long time so I'm looking forward to it - and wondering how I will fit it in with a full-time job. I'm sure I will manage :)

How did you get on? I'm thinking of doing one this year but a bit worried with managing a full-time job with two kids. How time consuming is the course?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone know what kind of commitment hours wise the courses tend to be? Thinking of applying for the online two year software dev course in GMIT but would be trying to fit it around a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Kamu

How did you get on? I'm thinking of doing one this year but a bit worried with managing a full-time job with two kids. How time consuming is the course?

Hi Davy,

I just completed a two year part-time evening/weekend course through Springboard.

The first thing I'll say is that my college (DBS) was very understanding in regards to people balancing work/study/home life and were in constant contact with us if we felt we needed more time to do assignments or if we would not be able to attend a lecture. That may not be true for every course/college.

The actual amount of work/hours will depend on the course. I had two lectures, Tuesday and Thursday 6:15pm - 9:30 pm (most lecturers let us go at 9) and one Saturday a month 10am - 5pm (again we were normally out by 3pm or even earlier).

If you had to leave the lecture early, no issues.

I personally did not do much study outside lecture hours, I did, on average, about 6 hours of study (3 hours per module) on top of lectures a week, and adjusted as appropriate for assignments/exams (there are exams).

I know people in my course who did at least one hour of study each evening and 4+ hours on the weekends for an average of about 15 hours of study a week on top of lectures; everyone is different.

Exams will be timetabled well in advance and will be weekday evenings or on a Saturday. If you can't attend an exam for whatever reason, they will try accommodate you.

I don't have children so I can't comment in that regard, but some people did have children (or were/became pregnant) so it's common.

There was a high dropout rate I would say; the course started with over 25+ and for various reasons I know of 6 that dropped out, and I believe more.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone know what kind of commitment hours wise the courses tend to be? Thinking of applying for the online two year software dev course in GMIT but would be trying to fit it around a full time job.

It's different for every course. The best way of knowing is by looking at the amount of credits the course consists of. The more credits the bigger the commitment. It will also depend on your ability. Someone who is mathematically good might find a humanities subject like any of the business courses challenging, while others might find them too easy. If there's 60 credits over two semesters then that's the same workload as a full time course and might be difficult while working full time.

Kamu wrote: »
    Hi Davy,

I just completed a two year part-time evening/weekend course through Springboard.

The first thing I'll say is that my college (DBS) was very understanding in regards to people balancing work/study/home life and were in constant contact with us if we felt we needed more time to do assignments or if we would not be able to attend a lecture. That may not be true for every course/college.

The actual amount of work/hours will depend on the course. I had two lectures, Tuesday and Thursday 6:15pm - 9:30 pm (most lecturers let us go at 9) and one Saturday a month 10am - 5pm (again we were normally out by 3pm or even earlier).

If you had to leave the lecture early, no issues.

I personally did not do much study outside lecture hours, I did, on average, about 6 hours of study (3 hours per module) on top of lectures a week, and adjusted as appropriate for assignments/exams (there are exams).

I know people in my course who did at least one hour of study each evening and 4+ hours on the weekends for an average of about 15 hours of study a week on top of lectures; everyone is different.

Exams will be timetabled well in advance and will be weekday evenings or on a Saturday. If you can't attend an exam for whatever reason, they will try accommodate you.

I don't have children so I can't comment in that regard, but some people did have children (or were/became pregnant) so it's common.

There was a high dropout rate I would say; the course started with over 25+ and for various reasons I know of 6 that dropped out, and I believe more.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kamu.

I've just applied for two courses with 30 credits, these suit my needs more.

Thanks Kamu.

I've just applied for two courses with 30 credits, these suit my needs more.

Good luck with it, I am hoping to do another Springboard course myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

What courses did ye guys end up applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Hoping someone can help me with the below

I applied for a course with Sligo IT direct as my work confirmed they would refund cost of course - Pre covid

I got accepted to the course but now due to Covid work place are not sending people back to college this year

Financially its not possible for me to pay for the course ,

I've applied now thru spring board

Is this the right way to go about it ? Do spring board pay for the course or how does it actually work

• Advertisement

Hoping someone can help me with the below

I applied for a course with Sligo IT direct as my work confirmed they would refund cost of course - Pre covid

I got accepted to the course but now due to Covid work place are not sending people back to college this year

Financially its not possible for me to pay for the course ,

I've applied now thru spring board

Is this the right way to go about it ? Do spring board pay for the course or how does it actually work

If you are accepted, Springboard will pay 90% and you pay 10% of the fees.

If the course is 7000e, you will pay 700e.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I enjoyed the course but I found it incredibly time consuming. It was an online course and we had classes three nights per week for 2 hours each (Mon, Tue, Thur). It was a lot and this didn't take into account the time needed for assignments as well. The course I took on was just three months long (it was semester one of a Masters course but stands on it own as a certificate qualification), I don't think I could have kept up that pace for any longer to be honest. I'm glad I did it and would be interested in doing another Springboard course but I will pay closer attention to hours per week next time :pac: I don't have any children but on class nights I had to leave work early, get in the door and eat something very quickly before sitting down at the desk for class so I'd imagine with children this would be even more hectic. Depends on how the timetable suits your life/routine I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

If you are accepted, Springboard will pay 90% and you pay 10% of the fees.

If the course is 7000e, you will pay 700e.

Got accepted - it’s a level 6 online Quality course - have to start somewhere

Delighted to get started - should of done it years ago - stuck in same job last 10 years ( early 30’s )

No mention of funding etc yet just got approved and I accepted

Best of luck all

Got accepted - it’s a level 6 online Quality course - have to start somewhere

Delighted to get started - should of done it years ago - stuck in same job last 10 years ( early 30’s )

No mention of funding etc yet just got approved and I accepted

Best of luck all

Good luck, and I wish you all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carlope2

whats the story if youre unemployed ? can you still apply for the courses ? ive lost my job due to covid and really do not want to go back to retail. anyone did software dev or web design ? how did ye get on ?

Would finding a job be realistic after one course ?

carlope2 wrote: »
    whats the story if youre unemployed ? can you still apply for the courses ? ive lost my job due to covid and really do not want to go back to retail. anyone did software dev or web design ? how did ye get on ?

Would finding a job be realistic after one course ?

You have to be in receipt of Social Benefits for 9 months of the last 12 or be in current employment to apply for a course.

You could use your last Payslip as proof of employment, but they may also as for a letter from your employer to say that you're in employment.

I know people who walked into a job after a two year part-time course, and I know others who are still looking for work in a related field to the course they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carlope2

You have to be in receipt of Social Benefits for 9 months of the last 12 or be in current employment to apply for a course.

You could use your last Payslip as proof of employment, but they may also as for a letter from your employer to say that you're in employment.

I know people who walked into a job after a two year part-time course, and I know others who are still looking for work in a related field to the course they did.

this is just fkin great...

thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

In the applications, what are people putting down in the 'Abilities' and 'Achievements' sections? It's all rather vague

fatgav wrote: »
    In the applications, what are people putting down in the 'Abilities' and 'Achievements' sections? It's all rather vague

The courses I applied to didn't have those sections. Very vague, and not sure how useful that would be. But I imagine it's because nearly all courses will be oversubscribed.

I applied for two courses last month. Any idea when we find out if we've been accepted?

• Advertisement

I applied for two courses last month. Any idea when we find out if we've been accepted?

Some courses are only accepting once deadlines have passed, while others seem to be processing in batches (as I was accepted by a course that was still taking applications).

Advertisement