Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notre Dame Vs Navy 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Further clarification here. It'll be mid-June before we get a definite decision.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/decision-on-august-s-college-football-game-in-dublin-to-be-made-in-june-1.4240905

"The recent Irish government announcement on ‘licences for gatherings over 5,000’ does not apply to this fixture as the game does not require a licence.

That's a bit worrying that they would even say that, does it mean that they may go ahead with the match then?

If a lot of Americans come over from USA which has the highest number of Covid19 deaths in the world, then as ReginaldSmythV says, we will be wasting our time trying to contain it.
    I would't be happy sitting beside or near Americans at it and with probably no distancing.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Sometime between 5.30-6pm

Basically some reporter is the States just saying it would be a massive financial loss to both teams.
    Said the players would need 8 weeks to be ready for the match.
    She did make the point that even if the US colleges agree to it going ahead, that doesn't mean the Irish government will allow it.
    If they did allow 30-40k people in one place, that would open the floodgates for other sports and concerts then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Likely a game of chicken on who will cancel first. Like everything, I'm sure there are contract stipulations on who takes on the burden based on the decision maker.

There is a high likelihood that the college season will be cancelled (higher than NFL) so it won't matter from an Irish regulation perspective.
    Yeah I suspect there's finances at play here.

If Ireland cancels, I suspect the American promoters would want compensation.
    If Promoters cancel, no compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's the story with not needing a licence? What loophole are they using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭emo72

Will there be a super fast us military plane flyover?

• Advertisement

Was wondering that myself.
    Any other sporting event needs it and all concerts/gigs over 5k need one.
    Only possible reason would be it's 2 American teams so the 2 teams playing are from outside the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

How the hell is this allowed to go ahead, should be called off without doubt, 5-600 players staff and media, a good few thousand fans, from an infected area, from a country which is the laughing stock of the world the way they handled this virus. But its important for the economy😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Blut2

The game is 4 months away. Its pretty obvious nobody in government, or anywhere else, has any idea what the situation will be that far in the future, so thats why its still "allowed to go ahead" currently. They'll revisit it in late June and make a decision then, depending on how things look at that time. Its entirely sensible.

In regards to the license IIRC the special 5k+ capacity one thats being mentioned is just for non-sporting events? I don't believe Leinster for example have to apply for one for each home game every season. Though open to correction on that.

Wasn't there a big issue about this before too, the Irish American Football Association was upset about some licencing issue. Can't remember the exact problem and tough to google with all today's news.

• Advertisement

Blut2 wrote: »
    In regards to the license IIRC the special 5k+ capacity one thats being mentioned is just for non-sporting events? I don't believe Leinster for example have to apply for one for each home game every season. Though open to correction on that.

I thought it was "gatherings" of 5k or more were banned?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a big issue about this before too, the Irish American Football Association was upset about some licencing issue. Can't remember the exact problem and tough to google with all today's news.

Wasn't there trouble about the organisers of the "Emerald Isle Classic" doing nothing for the sport in Ireland and something to do with the naming rights and if my memory is right, didn't the local guys from the IAFA have to buy their own tickets to it?

Wasn't there trouble about the organisers of the "Emerald Isle Classic" doing nothing for the sport in Ireland and something to do with the naming rights and if my memory is right, didn't the local guys from the IAFA have to buy their own tickets to it?

Was that it? I thought it was something about the IAFA had to licence the game as it was taking place in Ireland. Could have dreamt this up

Was that it? I thought it was something about the IAFA had to licence the game as it was taking place in Ireland. Could have dreamt this up

Could have been something to do with that as well, there were a few problems which they sorted not long before it was played but it was 8 years ago.

One of my kids I brought to it got one of the gloves off one of the ND players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Two seperate issues.

The "licensing" side of things came as IAFA (as they were at the time, have since rebranded to American Football Ireland to be inline with the majority of fringe National Governing Bodies Basketball Ireland, Hockey Ireland, Cycling Ireland etc) are the National Governing Body for American Football in Ireland and as such they are the sanctioning body even if a game doesn't involve any teams from the Irish League.

What the league said at the AGM at the time was that basically, from my notes

1. Essentially IAFA is 10,000 euro out of pocket after the situation due to legal fees and the legal costs owed for work done on the sanction contract to Irish American Events Limited (IAEL)
    2. IAEL did not have sufficient insurance (their insurance only covered the promotional activity) and IAFA were advised that as the National Governing Body for American Football sanctioning the event could cause issues with their own insurance and invalidate it/push premiums up.
    3. The Assistant Secretary for Tourism and Sport from Dept of Transport, Tourism, and Sport was invited but did not attend.

It went to a vote, I can't remember if it was unanimious or just a vast majority but it was passed that IAEL will no longer be engaged with by IAFA.

This was in the Commissioners Report for the year
    The one disappointment for the sport in 2016 was the ALCFC. The event organisers approached IAFA seeking sanction for their games, as is required under the International protocols and for various domestic reasons. From the outset, there was never any push from the organisers to engage with local fans – their main reasons for seeking sanction from us were on the regulatory front and to satisfy Government policy. IAFA did not make any requests of IAEL other than they comply with the minimum criteria for sanction. It even waived the application fee. Unfortunately, and in spite of IAFA making every effort to assist, including offering advice and extending deadlines for compliance, they failed to demonstrate compliance with minimum requirements including re: the necessary insurance/indemnification and there were Code of Ethics failures including background check fails by event staff re: the High School games.

IAFA kept the Department and Minister’s Office appraised of the situation on a regular basis. There was also no cooperation with a suggestion made which may have resolved the lack of insurance issue. Unfortunately the problems materialised too late to be resolved without the cooperation of the organisers and the organisers decided to proceed on the basis that the State cannot physically stop a non-compliant event at present.

We are aware that, particularly due to the fatality at a recent uninsured, non-NGB sanctioned MMA event earlier this year, there have been very significant changes to the State’s views towards non-NGB sanctioned events. While too late to have an impact on the ALCFC – as grant monies had been paid out before the MMA fatality – based on Department announcements it is expected that, going forward, it will be very difficult for the State to justify funding or providing assistance to any non-NGB regulated sporting event going forward. IAFA was told by Sport Ireland that it should not sanction non-compliant events. IFAF [International Federation of American Football] agreed with the decision to refuse sanction. Our insurance company was not happy with the insurance situation and our solicitor advised us not to sanction the event. In tandem with IAFA, both Trinity College Dublin and the Federation of Irish Sport withdrew from their involvement in the High School games. It is most regrettable that following the organisers failure to meet the minimum criteria, that they focused on trying to maliciously discredit our organisation rather than addressing their failures. A full presentation on the ALCFC will be made at the AGM.

Okidoki could be thinking about the 2012 Navy - Notre Dame game. There was a lot of ill-feeling at grassroots level over that. To sum it up very generally the whole organisation is voluntary and as the NGB was in receipt of a central funding grant from Dept of Sport. The issue was that you were going to have this huge event happening and interest would grow at a greater than normal rate, especially at the already over-subscribed flag-football school programme.

IAFA didn't look for money to be thrown into the pot, what IAFA suggested (or what we were told was suggested) was that Navy would contribute/develop Grassroots Initiatives for the flag football in schools programme, and provisions of equipment for the 3rd level institutes that have teams. Navy (as the home team) allegedly signed the contract to approve the game and then said Cheerio Lads, good luck in the cup. They walked out of formal talks, they refused offers of mediation, and IAFA on the advice of senior counsel were told the only option was to seek High Court Enforcement of the contract.

This is what they said about the Gathering Bowl Navy vs Notre Dame in 2012
    For the record, the State funding for the 2012 Navy v Notre Dame game was as follows:

Failte Ireland Festivals & Events Grant: €550,000
    The Gathering Sponsorship: €450,000 - requested as grant aid when the game was proposed, but changed to 'sponsorship' at a later date
    Tourism Ireland Cooperative Marketing: €60,000
    Television Advertising purchased by Tourism Ireland: €90,000
    Total: €1,160,000
    The various parties with direct commercial interests in the 2012 game made an estimated profit of €15m.

didn't the local guys from the IAFA have to buy their own tickets to it?

I've been involved in the sport in Ireland for 13 years as a player, referee, coach, team board member, (not a national level, or a national board/management body level) and I've always had to buy my own tickets for the college games. We might get access to a presale but that's it.

Two seperate issues.

The "licensing" side of things came as IAFA (as they were at the time, have since rebranded to American Football Ireland to be inline with the majority of fringe National Governing Bodies Basketball Ireland, Hockey Ireland, Cycling Ireland etc) are the National Governing Body for American Football in Ireland and as such they are the sanctioning body even if a game doesn't involve any teams from the Irish League.

What the league said at the AGM at the time was that basically, from my notes

1. Essentially IAFA is 10,000 euro out of pocket after the situation due to legal fees and the legal costs owed for work done on the sanction contract to Irish American Events Limited (IAEL)
    2. IAEL did not have sufficient insurance (their insurance only covered the promotional activity) and IAFA were advised that as the National Governing Body for American Football sanctioning the event could cause issues with their own insurance and invalidate it/push premiums up.
    3. The Assistant Secretary for Tourism and Sport from Dept of Transport, Tourism, and Sport was invited but did not attend.

It went to a vote, I can't remember if it was unanimious or just a vast majority but it was passed that IAEL will no longer be engaged with by IAFA.

This was in the Commissioners Report for the year

Okidoki could be thinking about the 2012 Navy - Notre Dame game. There was a lot of ill-feeling at grassroots level over that. To sum it up very generally the whole organisation is voluntary and as the NGB was in receipt of a central funding grant from Dept of Sport. The issue was that you were going to have this huge event happening and interest would grow at a greater than normal rate, especially at the already over-subscribed flag-football school programme.

IAFA didn't look for money to be thrown into the pot, what IAFA suggested (or what we were told was suggested) was that Navy would contribute/develop Grassroots Initiatives for the flag football in schools programme, and provisions of equipment for the 3rd level institutes that have teams. Navy (as the home team) allegedly signed the contract to approve the game and then said Cheerio Lads, good luck in the cup. They walked out of formal talks, they refused offers of mediation, and IAFA on the advice of senior counsel were told the only option was to seek High Court Enforcement of the contract.

This is what they said about the Gathering Bowl Navy vs Notre Dame in 2012

I've been involved in the sport in Ireland for 13 years as a player, referee, coach, team board member, (not a national level, or a national board/management body level) and I've always had to buy my own tickets for the college games. We might get access to a presale but that's it.

Always good to get someone who knows exactly what happened all those years ago.
    Cheers for update.

The reason they don't need a licence from Dublin City Council:

"This sporting event is due to take place in a sports stadium that has existing planning permission to host sporting events.
    This includes the American football match and an Outdoor Event Licence is not required for this game."

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mynextdevice

If it doesn't go ahead this year it looks like they have already sorted the game out for 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJU66PnBhx0

Still don't think it would be as popular as ND v Navy.
    The way that travel agent is talking, he expects it to be sold out very quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If it doesn't go ahead this year it looks like they have already sorted the game out for 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJU66PnBhx0

Zero chance of the game this year going ahead.
    Pubs only opened a couple of weeks before hand, 40K Americans landing in chasing leprechauns, will be zero social distancing etc.

And those two teams next year wouldn't be a draw imo, but that will be the first American football game in Ireland/UK at that point for over two years so it'll get a crowd that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

About time but it had better be a full refund! :confused:
    Information on ticket refunds will be forthcoming.

Thankfully we didn't get "Tickets valid for the rearranged game".
    Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md.

Knowing Ticketmaster, they won't officially announce it's cancelled until much closer to the date and then give themselves 28 days to return the money so God only knows when we'll get our money back. They'll probably try to get us to swap the ticket for Nebraska/Illinois too.

Knowing Ticketmaster, they won't officially announce it's cancelled until much closer to the date and then give themselves 28 days to return the money so God only knows when we'll get our money back. They'll probably try to get us to swap the ticket for Nebraska/Illinois too.

Different teams so can't see that happening even by T/M standards.

About time but it had better be a full refund! :confused:

They've been hanging onto the booking fee if you get a refund for concerts that were rescheduled to next year. Although the outright cancellation will hopefully be different

They've been hanging onto the booking fee if you get a refund for concerts that were rescheduled to next year. Although the outright cancellation will hopefully be different

Only if you bought the ticket(s) after they changed their t&c's which was around mid April.

Different teams so can't see that happening even by T/M standards.

Got my email from Ticketmaster and sure enough, as well as the refund option they're asking do I want to swap it for Illinois/Nebraska. If you take the swap option, you'll be included in the presale for any future Navy/Notre Dame game

• Advertisement

you'll be included in the presale for any future Navy/Notre Dame game

Assume you could still sign up at collegefootballireland.com for presale access as this year so that's not a massive incentive imo.
    Request for refund closes on 21st June.

Advertisement