Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭macslash

Sorry if this question makes no sense but will our HI replace our Handicap on competition results on HDID etc? I'm guessing there'll be no 'new' HI either listed? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

macslash wrote: »
    Sorry if this question makes no sense but will our HI replace our Handicap on competition results on HDID etc? I'm guessing there'll be no 'new' HI either listed? Thanks
    Yes to the first. Can't figure out what you're asking in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Apparently our club will be keeping the congu handicaps converted to winter handicaps until qualifying restarts in April. Just what I heard today but could be BS.

But your new handicap will be on golf Ireland. I don’t see how your club can decide to “keep” your old handicaps as its not really their decision.

Seve OB wrote: »
    But your new handicap will be on golf Ireland. I don’t see how your club can decide to “keep” your old handicaps as its not really their decision.
    I took it to mean that they would be running NQ competitions in the winter using the old CONGU handicaps. All run internally without GolfNet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

For non qualifying golf they can pretty much make up any rule they want and use whatever system they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

For non qualifying golf they can pretty much make up any rule they want and use whatever system they want.

That's it, winter handicaps have always been managed internally in the club.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That's it, winter handicaps have always been managed internally in the club.

Ah ok. So if you play an open or something you will have access to your new WHS index

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭macslash

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yes to the first. Can't figure out what you're asking in the second.

What I meant was after a competition your new handicap is given, on HDID anyway. I.e. if you got .1 back or got cut an amount and have a new handicap. Will this be the same or what? My understanding (which is probably wrong) was that we wouldn't really know our HI until the day of a comp when we register in the clubhouse. Sorry if I've gotten this ar$eways.

macslash wrote: »
    What I meant was after a competition your new handicap is given, on HDID anyway. I.e. if you got .1 back or got cut an amount and have a new handicap. Will this be the same or what? My understanding (which is probably wrong) was that we wouldn't really know our HI until the day of a comp when we register in the clubhouse. Sorry if I've gotten this ar$eways.
    No, you should know within a day. There was some discussion as to whether your HI would be visible in club software or not, but my understanding is that it will. There will also be an app from GUI/Golf Ireland that will give you this info too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Hi lads, is golfnet updating with our new handicaps? I'm currently off 8.6 which is right and all scores have been processed. My club records still show me at 8.6 but golfnet tonight has my exact at 8.2

A friend of mine is currently off 7.4 but golfnet has him down as 6.4

golfnet back to my correct handicap now. was a strange one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jp101 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That won’t feel good but I suppose it is what it is.

I guess its a toss up between feeling bad being off (lets pick 18) versus feeling bad having 28 points off 15 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Is there still a non qualifying winter or is that done away with under the new system?

Is there still a non qualifying winter or is that done away with under the new system?
    Non-qualifying is still non-qualifying. It's worth noting though, that qualifying competitions can still be held during the winter, provided that the rules of golf have not been altered to the point that they no longer apply in some circumstances. Such as placing in the rough or more than 50% of bunkers being out of play etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PARlance wrote: »
    Any word if the GUI will be using Nov 1 as the cut off for lowest previous year HC / for club teams etc?

There will be lots of unhappy captains if they stick to the calendar year. That's based on the assumption that most people will lose a shot or two.

If that happens though, every club will be in the same boat so it wont make any difference

Rikand wrote: »
    If that happens though, every club will be in the same boat so it wont make any difference
    Plus it won't be from November 1st since handicap indexes will go back 20 competitions/scores anyway.

PARlance wrote: »
    Any word if the GUI will be using Nov 1 as the cut off for lowest previous year HC / for club teams etc?

There will be lots of unhappy captains if they stick to the calendar year. That's based on the assumption that most people will lose a shot or two.

From listening to the GUI podcast it sounds like most people will actually go out a tiny bit, in the main (I think they said 85%) Will be little to no difference. It’s the lower guys who are more likely to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rikand wrote: »

Oh ya, I understand that but I was playing with a captain recently and he had the guys of his team for next year more or less mapped out. I hadn't the heart to say that there could be a lot of changes with the new system.

From listening to the GUI podcast it sounds like most people will actually go out a tiny bit, in the main (I think they said 85%) Will be little to no difference. It’s the lower guys who are more likely to go down

Looks like I will lose a shot based on my very rough calculation of average from best 8.
    Nett differentials:
    +1
    +1

Averaging exactly 4 over against CSS

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Will there be a list of course slopes and ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

I'm in a similar boat to you off my rough calculations from my last 20 counting competitions. Currently 3.9 exact, new WHS average +1.7 over par so I'd say I'm definitely going to lose 1 if not 2 shots. Going to be big changes come next year if that's the case.

• Advertisement

KevH1984 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat to you off my rough calculations from my last 20 counting competitions. Currently 3.9 exact, new WHS average +1.7 over par so I'd say I'm definitely going to lose 1 if not 2 shots. Going to be big changes come next year if that's the case.

Could be curtains for your interclub career! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

GreeBo wrote: »
    Could be curtains for your interclub career! :o

😢😢😢😢

We'll make the best of it anyway

Clubs will have sight of member's new handicap indexes this week. They are being asked to review them and assess whether any might need an adjustment. Some changes to scorecards are also advised with spaces for handicap index, course handicap and playing handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Clubs will have sight of member's new handicap indexes this week. They are being asked to review them and assess whether any might need an adjustment. Some changes to scorecards are also advised with spaces for handicap index, course handicap and playing handicap.

Now there's a thankless task if ever there was one !

Actually how will that work in practice ?
    If someone's best 8 from last 20 throws up an index of say, 12, and the club decide for whatever reason that's too high and Joe should be off 10, what will happen when he plays his next round and the system looks at his best 8 again ? Won't it likely just throw up another index of 12 ? I've a feeling I'm missing something here !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Why are they reviewing?
    Best 8 from 20 on a rolling 20 scored should require no intervention i would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I would read it that they are getting the clubs to do a further peer review of the results of the algorithm

Anything reported will be used for final testing. Mick wont even open it. I nearly considered offering to do it for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I would read it that they are getting the clubs to do a further peer review of the results of the algorithm

Anything reported will be used for final testing. Mick wont even open it. I nearly considered offering to do it for him!

And if they were to adjust a players initial index, when the player plays his next round the calculations will correct him to where he should be

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Russman wrote: »
    Now there's a thankless task if ever there was one !

Actually how will that work in practice ?
    If someone's best 8 from last 20 throws up an index of say, 12, and the club decide for whatever reason that's too high and Joe should be off 10, what will happen when he plays his next round and the system looks at his best 8 again ? Won't it likely just throw up another index of 12 ? I've a feeling I'm missing something here !

The way ESR works is to reduce the differential of your past 20 scores by 1 or 2 shots so that future handicap updates will automatically handle the cut.

I assume any cuts from the club will work the same way

They are being asked to review where there is a difference of 3 or more between current playing handicap and proposed Handicap Index. This is fair enough I suppose as it might throw up a few outliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Just got an ESR from my last round before lockdown#2
    with normal cut that drops me from 12 to 10.7 in one go
    I just recalculated my handicap using the calc pasted here before
    Handicap = 12 :(

Advertisement