Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Football Manager 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Even though I'm managing Dundalk holding and trying to improve a team in LoI is challenging. Won the league but Massey, Grimes, O'Donnell, Benson and Clifford refused to sign new contracts. Sold Stewart to LA to good to refuse. McMillan and McGrath will probably leave in the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sherlock97

I don't like to give out about games as I find it unhelpful but this is by far the biggest sham of a game I have ever payed for. Bought as a Christmas present and haven't been able to play it for the last week as it continuously crashes at the same point. Absolute disgrace. I am quite good with technology as I am only 20, however, one must possess the computer skills of Steve Jobs if they are to follow the intensly complex instructions that are provided to try to fix this problem. I have followed these instructions, yet still, have not had any joy in fixing the game. I am hugely disappointed as it's my first time to get the game since 2012 and was very excited. I am fed up and can no longer attemp to follow tedious protocols. I will be returning to the shop and would advise anyone who is considering buying the game to tread very very cautiously as if it crashes, you will find it very difficult to fix. I am not alone as on the support page there are over 15,000 threads for crashes within the game. Should not be allowed sell the product. Thankfully I have fifa 18 on my xbox, and although not even nearly as detailed, it is 100% more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Playing the mobile version. Quite good fairly detailed playing a 2-3-2-1-2 at the minute and tearing up the table with burnley

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

After a few years of not playing FM, I purchased the game over the xmas,enjoying it so far,

Started with Preston,had a good pre season and a good start to the season then went through a sticky spell,injuries to key players didnt help at all and the team found themselves floating around the relegation spots,Seanie Maguire's goals keeping the team from dropping into the relegation places

Anyway pressure was building and the board called a meeting and in the end they sacked me,I cut them to death in the press :D

Umemployed,I had an interview with Rubin Kazan before Cork City came calling and that interview was a success and with FA of a transfer budget to play with I have got in a few free agents and have used the loan system to build the squad and have got off to a great start,Achille Campion has 10 goals to his name and Karl Sheppard has been banging in the goals as well,one loss so far to Dundalk a 4-1 trimming,onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I started with Preston too and won the Championship. Halfway through the premiership and sitting in the top half of the table :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I also started with Preston but lost my first 13 league games in a row, then won Manager of the Month before getting sacked in December :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Started with Halifax in Vanarama premier - media prediction was second bottom and board wanted to stay up.

Sitting top after 12 games

Build a nice team of 6 loanes from championship all under 19 who have pace to burn and few free transfer

Have extremely limited kitty of 20K, I did bring wage budget down from 12k to 9k by off loading anyone over the age of 30.

Using a simple 442 playing countrer attacking with pacy wingers and strikers the key

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Started up over Xmas, running my usual United save. Found a tactic I liked online, and this was my second season.

afOujjZ.jpg

1 loss to Leicester, but it was inbetween two CL games, and I had already won the league at that point (won it with 8 games to spare).

Ronaldo and Messi showing interest in joining now. Might see about trying a third season with them before trying a lower league team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Started up over Xmas, running my usual United save. Found a tactic I liked online, and this was my second season.

afOujjZ.jpg

1 loss to Leicester, but it was inbetween two CL games, and I had already won the league at that point (won it with 8 games to spare).

Ronaldo and Messi showing interest in joining now. Might see about trying a third season with them before trying a lower league team.

Seeing a trend from a few FM videos online of arsenal finishing well outside the top 4. Sign of things to come? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

afOujjZ.jpg

Aka cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Finally got my teeth stuck into my Sunderland save at the weekend, got though half the first season which is a nice bit of progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Tried another save
    finished top of LOI with Limeirck
    Then applied for Everton job and surprisingly got it

Everton were 18th by christmas then I got them a top 6 finish

That Sandro is a handy striker

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Started with Halifax in Vanarama premier - media prediction was second bottom and board wanted to stay up.

Sitting top after 12 games

Build a nice team of 6 loanes from championship all under 19 who have pace to burn and few free transfer

Have extremely limited kitty of 20K, I did bring wage budget down from 12k to 9k by off loading anyone over the age of 30.

Using a simple 442 playing countrer attacking with pacy wingers and strikers the key

Won the league by 11 points in the end.
    Lost 5 games in total, lost 4 in 6 in March after terrible run of injury’s and susoebsions.
    Had 39 points to spare over the team in 6th.
    Had a playoff place secured by February

All my loanes have contracts expiring now, hopefully I can get them signed up, just waiting on next years budget

Board have already extended my contract twice this session, once at xmas and now after we got promoted

League 2 here we come!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Colemania wrote: »
    Seeing a trend from a few FM videos online of arsenal finishing well outside the top 4. Sign of things to come? :P

Even better, it's Pep managing them after having City finish 11th in season one :P
    threein99 wrote: »
    Aka cheating

Meh. Tactics has always been an element of the game i loathe and am dreadful at. Usually trying to do it myself gets me sacked 9 months into jobs, and I don't find that element of the game fun at all. For me, it's scouting, buying in players, developing them, etc.

Call it cheating if you want, but I really couldn't care less. The game is 100 times funner and worth my money when I can get some help with that side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Even better, it's Pep managing them after having City finish 11th in season one :P

Meh. Tactics has always been an element of the game i loathe and am dreadful at. Usually trying to do it myself gets me sacked 9 months into jobs, and I don't find that element of the game fun at all. For me, it's scouting, buying in players, developing them, etc.

Call it cheating if you want, but I really couldn't care less. The game is 100 times funner and worth my money when I can get some help with that side of things.
    Patww79 wrote: »

I was joking but it's taking pretty big short cut. It's like giving yourself infinite lives or invincibility in others games.

Each to their own, I just sacked after 20 games at Notts Forest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sin City wrote: »
    Tried another save
    finished top of LOI with Limeirck
    Then applied for Everton job and surprisingly got it

Everton were 18th by christmas then I got them a top 6 finish

That Sandro is a handy striker

What was your playing experience? That seems like a meteoric rise from limerick to Everton.

I saw a challenge on SI boards were you use your team and Academy to win the premier league. think I'm going to start as Blackburn and see how long it takes. Dont think I'm able to buy any players though, so could be quite tough.

Mc Love wrote: »
    What was your playing experience? That seems like a meteoric rise from limerick to Everton.

I saw a challenge on SI boards were you use your team and Academy to win the premier league. think I'm going to start as Blackburn and see how long it takes. Dont think I'm able to buy any players though, so could be quite tough.

To be fair i did put down ex international player
    But i was shocked too. I didn't get the job at Genoa

Was about to agree terms with Bury. Then the toffees approached me and i signed for them

Only thing now is trying to hold on to my players
    Iv PSG sniffing around Micheal Keane and R Madrid after Sandro

Id have no problem selling them but i doubt id convince a decent player to replace them

Might go scouring the Dutch German French and Portuguese leagues

• Advertisement

Ok so started a new save
    Managing Burton Albion

Amazing training and Youth facilities but the media prediction is that we will get relegated

My aim is to get a lot of loan players in as the finances are awful but hopefully can get youngsters through the academy

cant scout outside the UK and Ireland

Picked up Hleeb on a free transfer and a Kosovan whose name I cant spell on a free aswell

Hopefully will be in the premiership in a season or 2

Right so got Burton Albion promoted and won the championship by a point

Now that I'm in the premiership iv a slight problem attracting new players in

I was suprised and delighted then to get maxi romero..... only to forget he needs a work permit

So now ill have to loan out my most expensive player out for half he's contract...

Does it still take South American players 2 years to get EU citizenship in Spain?

Are we the only two playing at the moment? Started out not as successfully as intended but my young uns mixed in with the current squad seem to be doing a decent job, currently in the playoff places in League one. Havent signed anyone.

Are we the only two playing at the moment? Started out not as successfully as intended but my young uns mixed in with the current squad seem to be doing a decent job, currently in the playoff places in League one. Havent signed anyone.

I'm still playing. Just signed a free Gonzalo Higuain for Dundalk. Just about to start my 8th season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Also still playing, won the Championship with Luton in our 3rd Championship season. Predicted to finish 21st so even I was surprised. Renting White Hart Lane for the Premiership season as we wait for our new 17,000 seat stadium to be built - The Mick Harford Arena. Stadium names are one of those things I wish we could have input in.

I take this save as proof that even if things go bad early it can be worth rolling with it (I've been sacked by Preston & Scunthorpe, and the only reason Luton didn't sack me is they were already expected to struggle in League 1 when I joined).

I'm still playing. Just signed a free Gonzalo Higuain for Dundalk. Just about to start my 8th season.

he must be about 40??

Right Maxi Romero got his work permit
    but now I cant recall him from his loan at Espanyol

he must be about 40??

Sin City wrote: »
    Right Maxi Romero got his work permit
    but now I cant recall him from his loan at Espanyol

Have a young 19 yo Australian winger that I cant re-sign as he hasnt made enough intl appearances for his work permit. Such a bollix, going to end up losing him.

• Advertisement

Have a young 19 yo Australian winger that I cant re-sign as he hasnt made enough intl appearances for his work permit. Such a bollix, going to end up losing him.

First time in my new load that they have decided on a hard Brexit
    so from next year every non UK player will need a work permit

Advertisement