Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

• 13-09-2013 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

So lads is it the Indian or the Arrow

Should he go back to Titleist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He had a 7 yesterday on the 1st hole par 4.
    He had 120yds to the pin after his tee shot sitting in the fairway.

I don't think I've seen a 28 handicapper do that.
    Disgraceful play

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »
    He had a 7 yesterday on the 1st hole par 4.
    He had 120yds to the pin after his tee shot sitting in the fairway.

I don't think I've seen a 28 handicapper do that.
    Disgraceful play

We must get a round in..... I managed a 7 last weekend from a cracking drive that left me 100 yards to the pin.... :o

OP, I don't think it's a case of just putting it down to the arrows.
    The arrows themselves would have taken a while to get used to, and if that was all he had to deal with, then I think he would have gotten that well sorted by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

AJ no bother any time.

I heard an amazing stat last night about Rory by the lads on sky

In first round putting he is 150th

In second round putting he is 1st

Can anyone explain that to me??????

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

AJ no bother any time.

150th - not as bad as 151st, but not as good as 149th.

1st - better than everyone else.

CAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Definitely the Indian. He's had a lot of off the course distractions. He was a superstar in the media before he was a superstar on the course and he was seriously affected by it. Huge deal with Nike and winning a few majors attracts serious pressure and expectation. Then there's the break up and a high profile girlfriend, new clubs, new agent, new house in the US, the Olympics tug of war. He's a young man and even though he mightn't admit it he's affected. It's not just brought him back to average golf but he in most rounds he's playing very badly. Take yesterday, he's 15 shots off the lead after just one day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

I haven't seen much analysis/criticism of his swing (well compared to what they do constantly with Tiger, say Chamblee etc). Is there something there? Or is it everything? Meaning his head/nerves/focus/tempo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

I think its more to do with 'off field' activity than clubs
    A year back playing full time on the Euro tour may help him, but alas that wont happen as not enough off field cash to be made over this side of the pond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

His total driving in 2013 (42nd) has been better than it was in 2012 (54th). And his 2013 GIR and 2012 GIR are virtually identical, his scrambling went from 33rd in 2012 to 150 in 2013. Which seems like a better area of his game to put the blame rather than his driver.

Looks clear-cut to me, is it this obvious to him?
    Rotella needed to imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Somehow he let the whole "new Clubs" thing get inside his head. Likewise when u look at the putting stat they had last night, its all in his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I think the new clubs thing was just a handy excuse for him tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I think the new clubs thing was just a handy excuse for him tbh

To be fair he does not make an issue out of the clubs,
    I reckon he should never have left Chubby, his dad and all his buddies seems to have too much influence on the direction his career is taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

His total driving in 2013 (42nd) has been better than it was in 2012 (54th). And his 2013 GIR and 2012 GIR are virtually identical, his scrambling went from 33rd in 2012 to 150 in 2013. Which seems like a better area of his game to put the blame rather than his driver.

Looks clear-cut to me, is it this obvious to him?
    Rotella needed to imho.

Thats seems clear cut! I remember watching the PGA last year and he needed to scramble very well at times on the last day. Obviously he pulled away well at the end but without his A short game it wouldn't have been so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

gorfield wrote: »
    his scrambling went from 33rd in 2012 to 150 in 2013. Which seems like a better area of his game to put the blame rather than his driver.

I bet he misses his home in NI now, with the fancy short game area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Its definitely a curious situation, there is a legal battle going on behind the scenes aswell over the split from the management company.

Maybe a 6/8 week period at the end of the season to sort everything out and begin next year raring to go might be the best for him.

His next goal really should be making sure he is ready both mentally and physically for next years Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Dbu wrote: »
    I reckon he should never have left Chubby, his dad and all his buddies seems to have too much influence on the direction his career is taking.

His form was much better after leaving chandlers stable though so i dont see how that has hurt his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

I've heard alot of potential excuses for his poor form this year - new clubs, not enough practice, too much pressure, off course problems, loss of confidence, etc.. It's likely to be a combination of all of those factors. However, he is too good to be down for long and I'm looking forward to his return to form. Hopefully he gets on a hot streak before the year is out

2013 has been a bit of a difficult year for Irish touring pros. Not a single major between Rors, GMAC, PH, & Clarke. The natives are getting restless. Hopefully Lowry will be the next of them to win a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

I can see Rory slipping down the rankings and I personally don't think he's going to ever perform to the consistency and excellence we saw before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

PRAF wrote: »
    2013 has been a bit of a difficult year for Irish touring pros. Not a single major between Rors, GMAC, PH, & Clarke.

:D

Like it. Worth reading a second time to enjoy it (and I dont just mean the straight-faced slipping in of the PH !). Remember when any one island of Ireland golfer winning any golf tourny in a year was considered a good year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Definitely not the clubs. I'd say they're identical with a Nike stamp on them. Also, Jack Nichlaus made the point that in his day he had to play with several sets of clubs due to different sponsers in Europe/US etc, and regularly had to change clubs. Never altered his form. He said it was nothing to do with the clubs and that McIlroy could pretty much play to the same standard with any set fitted for him.

Heard rumours about off course stuff that sounds like an awful position for him to be in if it they're true. If they are, I'd say they're a large factor. So let's go with off-course events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

newport2 wrote: »
    Heard rumours about off course stuff that sounds like an awful position for him to be in if it they're true.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I think its more to do with 'off field' activity than clubs
    A year back playing full time on the Euro tour may help him, but alas that wont happen as not enough off field cash to be made over this side of the pond

Not really, its not that much easier on the European Tour, and sure Rory even missed the cut at the Irish Open.

I wouldn't be Rorys biggest fan, superb golfer but I don't like his attitude. He needs to forget this year and start fresh next year. He could learn a thing or 2 from Adam Scott. Scott was similar that he had the world at his feet at a young age but got distracted by stuff off the course, model girlfriends, cars, houses etc.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Not really, its not that much easier on the European Tour, and sure Rory even missed the cut at the Irish Open.

I wouldn't be Rorys biggest fan, superb golfer but I don't like his attitude. He needs to forget this year and start fresh next year. He could learn a thing or 2 from Adam Scott. Scott was similar that he had the world at his feet at a young age but got distracted by stuff off the course, model girlfriends, cars, houses etc.

You know you have it good when money, model girlfriends, cars and houses are considered to be a problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'm going off Rory - I like to see him do well, but his attitude is definitely a little off, and the olympics saga is just annoying at this stage.

For me, one of the main problems with Rory seems to be his inability to minimise the damage when he's having an off day, and his disinterest when he's not in contention.

The wozilroy situation doesn't seem to be helping either, for either of them. Wasn't she world number 1 when they started going out? For me, it just seems like neither of them are that pushed about getting knocked out of tournaments earlier, because it just frees them up to jump on a flight and join the other one. I'm obviously basing that on very little, but it's what I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Heard rumours about off course stuff that sounds like an awful position for him to be in if it they're true. If they are, I'd say they're a large factor. So let's go with off-course events.[/QUOTE]

I've heard about those rumours as well and if true I think it must be the reason his form is so poor...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

He doesn't now but he did intially, he had all sorts of problems trying to get the driver right and the putter.

While I don't think it is the biggest problem for Rory, I do think that changing all of his equipment at the same time was a mistake. Changing either your irons, woods, wedges, or ball shouldn't be a problem. Changing them all at the same time????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Can we get full details of this "off-course" stuff that everyone is rumoured to have heard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Can we get full details of this "off-course" stuff that everyone is rumoured to have heard ?

Not in a public forum I'd say Ricky. Just to be on the safe side. But if it's the same rumour that I've heard then it's not actually about Rory. More someone close to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

AJ no bother any time.

Maybe he sobers up on the 2nd day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

denisoc16 wrote: »
    Not in a public forum I'd say Ricky. Just to be on the safe side. But if it's the same rumour that I've heard then it's not actually about Rory. More someone close to him.

You're right. I just hqte not being in the know :)

Im in the know now though! Thanks private peoples xxxx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement