Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-opening of the Nocturnal Library

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

I just recently started reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's proved to be a wonderful distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Starting the Dark Tower series by Mr King.. help me jebus!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Deus Irae - Philip K Dick and Roger Zelazny.

I love Dick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I love Dick :pac:

tee-hee :D

An oldie, but a goldie :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Im just starting Game of Thrones Book 4......

anything by James Rollins or Matthew Reilly is good too

• Moderators Posts: 51,683 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Complaint: From Minor Moans to Principled Protests by Julian Baggini

41R3mMIdNoL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    All major social advances started with a complaint: Emmeline Pankhurst, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela each brought about change by protesting that the status quo was wrong and needed to be rethought. Complaint has revolutionised society - yet it is now associated primarily with trivial moans and frivolous litigation.

Renowned popular philosopher Julian Baggini shows that in order to reclaim complaint as a positive force, we need to know what we wrongly complain about, and why. He explores every kind of complaint, from the contradictory to the paranoid and the Luddite, and presents a unique and revealing survey into whether Britons complain more than Americans, men more than women, the old more than the young.

This fascinating, witty insight into an essential part of the human condition will help you find the best way to bridge the gap between how things are and how we think they ought to be.

Enjoyable and interesting read so far :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Has anyone read the Guillermo del torro/ chuck Harris (I think) trilogy, the Strain?
    On the third one now, it's taken me ages to get started reading it, but it's a great trilogy.

I loved the Raymond E Feist books, Magician & the Riftwar Saga were the books that got me into science fantasy. I keep threatening to re read Magician, again, but I don't read now as much as I used to and it's a bit of an intimidating tome!
    Hope I'm not one of the anoraks! 😦

Fluff is easier to read these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I enjoyed them, the last book was a bit hard to get back into because of the way the start was written but worth finishing

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Started reading this, have to admit it's a good read so far

fergie-book-5839063.jpg

Then i got this lined up for afterwards

Who-I-Am.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love crime books. Just near the end of the bat by Jo nesbo, my second book I've read by him. I really like them, the other was the snowman. I recommend the author if you are a crime fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I love crime books. Just near the end of the bat by Jo nesbo, my second book I've read by him. I really like them, the other was the snowman. I recommend the author if you are a crime fan!

Must put him on the to look out for list. Getting through a Michael Connolly one now.

The Scandinavians know how to write crime I tell you! I had bought the snowman yes ago after I finished the stig larson books, only read it last year though.

Hmmm must give them a go after my epic dark tower series marthon is complete.sooo get back to me next year! :/

I got a shiny kindle and a purdy owl cover for my daily commute. I was totally against kindles until I lugged around hard back 700 page song of ice and fire books last year in my handbag everyday :p

Im like that..hate the bloody things but when i lugged around needful things and everything else in my side bag on holiday it broke the damn strap...i may have to give in at some stage!

It's definitely not as nice a feel as a book but it's much lighter. Be great if you're going on a long trip too, I always pack multiple books in my case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Got one too!

Read a book called Elephant Moon this week. Can't remember who the author is, but it was a nice read. Based on a true events during WW2 where refugees going from Burma to India were helped by elephant men and their elephants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have one toooo :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Couldnt do a kindle. prefer to have a book in my hand, though I do see the merits of not lugging books around.

• Advertisement

The drawing of the three has been opened..only 447 pages to go! Part two of the dark tower begins now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    The drawing of the three has been opened..only 447 pages to go! Part two of the dark tower begins now!

Whooooooooooooooooo \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have just started a reread of the Malazan books of the Fallen with Gardens of the Moon (Stephen Erikson)- it just gets better every time.
    If you haven't, you really should!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

cgh wrote: »
    Couldnt do a kindle. prefer to have a book in my hand, though I do see the merits of not lugging books around.

I have one, quite against at first. Since then I have grown to love it.

Just finished re-reading my Absolute Batman - The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.

Tim Sale is an absolutely phenomenal artist. If you watched the first series of Heroes, he was the person who actually painted the paintings the junkie guy painted in the show.

Just finished re-reading my Absolute Batman - The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.

Tim Sale is an absolutely phenomenal artist. If you watched the first series of Heroes, he was the person who actually painted the paintings the junkie guy painted in the show.
    when Heroes was actually a good show!

SW wrote: »
    when Heroes was actually a good show!

Aye, before they jumped the shark :pac:

Recent comic read was Mind Mgmt. Read vol 1 and 2 over the holidays. Love the series. Secret organisations and conspiracies, what's not to like. :D

250px-Mind_MGMT_cover_1.png

Sounds intriguing.

• Advertisement

Sounds intriguing.
    It's my favourite comic atm. The way the books are put together is impressive. Plus the whole thing is done by one guy! :eek:

Advertisement