Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

• 11-01-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Well as somebody else suggested i thought i would start this thread:D

Today i gave the chain a good cleaning and re lubed it

Gave the bike a quick clean aswell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Today, I had to "optimise" my battery as it was nearly flat...and I am meant to be going to HG in Belfast in the morning. So it is charging now as I speak.....hopefully a good blast will sort her out.

Will need to do the chain aswell as it has that brown residue on it too. Was sick over the Xmas and only getting over it now ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Hope yous have a good spin up tomorrow

I took my bike out last Sat morning for the first time in a few weeks, the plan was to go over the gap in to Hollywood for Tea and head back home the same way

Got as far Roundwood and got a puncture on the back tyre, was stuck there for an hour till a van collected my bike and brought it back to be repaired:mad:

Luckily the tyre was repairable as its only new, ran over a piece of aluminium and it went straight through it, I must show it to yas on the next Sunday spin

You are one unlucky ****er for getting punctures you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

rode it from clifden to croom and back on a mission to get the wifes birthday present.

You old softy you...I hope you deducted the price of petrol of the pressie!!!!

• Advertisement

I ****ing came off off mine earlier!
    First time,no damage to me or the bike.
    Scuffed the inside of my right knee and a little on my lid!
    Was only doing about 10mph!
    was turning right in an estate and I think the back wheel went out and I high sided!
    happened so fast but it nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

urbanledge wrote: »
    was turning right in an estate and I think the back wheel went out and I high sided!

Ah that's ****e, glad you and the bike are OK :)

Not today, but last week was changing the brake pads, thought I'd be able to do it myself, first time doing any maintainence on my own. The friction material was literally gone on the old pads, and the pistons were stuck out and manky. After a good cleaning had to use a hammer to get it back in. Had my dad there to help thank fook, felt like a bit of a pleb just standing there though. :pac:

I plan to sort my back brake pads and disc in a couple of weeks myself. I've decided that the only reason I should have to go to a garage is for tyre changing and electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Today I washed & lubed 3 bikes after ibt. The same 3 bikes I washed and lubed only 24hrs ago. God the roads here are ****ty at the minute.
    Soul destroying

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I re-wired my hot grips into the ignition via the back brake switch.
    Oxford say they don't draw power once there's less than 13 volts, but in reality they've drained more batteries than the fcukin duracell bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Lucky you didnt hurt yourself and damage the drz mate

Say you got a fright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Keith186

I tightened and lubed the chain.

Changed one set of front brake pads which I only changed about six months ago maybe, the other side are still OK and they're on it since I got the bike! Had very sticky brakes for a while so they wore down extra fast. Gave calipers a good clean and put some silicon based oil on them so hopefully there won't be any more sticking.

I noticed lots of white stuff on the metal work of the engine and stuff. Presumed its all salt from the roads so gave it a clean with a pressure washer in a garage. I know its generally not a good idea to do it but I stood back a good bit and avoided bearings and electrics etc. No access to a normal hose so didn't have much choice. Sprayed a layer of oil over most of the metal parts to protect it from more salt.

****, glad you all right man. A high side of that bike would be really ****in high ;)

Was high allright!
    was amazed at how far down the road the bike went!
    left a scar on the road about 3 meters long!
    It was so weird tho,felt like I landed on my feet!
    I got up and looked around to make sure no body seen me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

Got a new Tiger 800 last week, so today I put on the centre stand (can't operate it yet, bike too heavy!), engine crash bars, pivot covers and tank pad...

Took me all feckin' day...and still have lots more to do.

Also put a new air filter in my Ninja 250!

rat_race wrote: »
    Got a new Tiger 800 last week, so today I put on the centre stand (can't operate it yet, bike too heavy!), engine crash bars, pivot covers and tank pad...

Took me all feckin' day...and still have lots more to do.

Also put a new air filter in my Ninja 250!

Not having a pop mate BUT....;)

If you think the bike is too heavy then you must be doing the motion wrong. And believe me its quite common, when putting the bike on the centre stand you should not be pulling at the bike at all. All your weight should be going straight down onto the outward bar of the stand when level with the ball of the foot and gentle pushing back at it rises. Your really should be able to use one hand......I have done it on countless bikes from 250's to 1400's.

Did you stick up pics of the bike....would love to see it?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not having a pop mate BUT....;)

If you think the bike is too heavy then you must be doing the motion wrong. And believe me its quite common, when putting the bike on the centre stand you should not be pulling at the bike at all. All your weight should be going straight down onto the outward bar of the stand when level with the ball of the foot and gentle pushing back at it rises. Your really should be able to use one hand......I have done it on countless bikes from 250's to 1400's.

Just youtube'd how to do it just as you wrote this :) ... Yeah, I wasn't putting my whole weight on it at al, didn't realise that was the norm! Cheers...will try it now!

Regarding pics, none yet...too feckin' busy to bring it out during the day :( ... will take some very soon!

No probs mate...I was taught by the best. Its important not to start the backward motion until the bike is halfway up the motion off rising....you will kick yourself when you see how easy it is.

Best of luck with the bike, really hope you get yrs of pleasure.

No probs mate...I was taught by the best. Its important not to start the backward motion until the bike is halfway up the motion off rising....you will kick yourself when you see how easy it is.

Best of luck with the bike, really hope you get yrs of pleasure.

I put all my weight on it (almost 11 stone)...she didn't budge! :D Gonna go try again till I get it...feeling like a plonker!

Thanks Wonda...am loving it. Worth every penny. Totally different experience to my 250 (which I still love, but in a different way)...

washed it, and realized my front tyre is absolutely, totaly shagged:( better run the wheel into galway and change it seeing as the new one has been sat in the shed for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Changed my oil and filter.

Heading for a long spin tomorrow and I put 5k or more miles on the old oil.

• Advertisement

And today, I dropped my new Tiger 800 :) And I wasn't even sitting on it. Not much damage...few little scrapes. Thank *@$k for crash bars.

After beating myself up, I'm kinda happy to have gotton it outta the way!

And today, I dropped my new Tiger 800 :) And I wasn't even sitting on it. Not much damage...few little scrapes. Thank *@$k for crash bars.

After beating myself up, I'm kinda happy to have gotton it outta the way!

Ahh ffs, that is poxy. Jaysus man be careful, you must be out messing with it all the time lol.

Get some picks up and meet us next sunday for a spin mate....would really love to see it IN ONE PIECE!!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

today my bike wouldnt start so i robbed the battery from himselves bike and away i went :o

Ahh ffs, that is poxy. Jaysus man be careful, you must be out messing with it all the time lol.

Get some picks up and meet us next sunday for a spin mate....would really love to see it IN ONE PIECE!!!!! :p

I got away lucky...only tiny scratches to brake lever, bar end, pegs (bit of a dint in one of them), and crash bars. The can miraculously got away with it!

Can't this Sunday, have a stressful Jan (work wise) :( ...but definitely soon! Early Feb!

took the front wheel out of mine ready for the tyre change, checked the date code on it.........2203 ffs thats why it feels horrid on the move. tread looked fine when i bought the bike a month ago ah well its coming off on thurs!

What does 2203 mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭batman_oh

What does 2203 mean?

22nd week of 2003 - ancient!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

serious3 wrote: »
    took the front wheel out of mine ready for the tyre change, checked the date code on it.........2203 ffs thats why it feels horrid on the move. tread looked fine when i bought the bike a month ago ah well its coming off on thurs!

What tyres are you getting?

bridgestone bt020 sat in the shed to match the 600 mile old bt020 on the rear. rear was put on in april, front was a worn bt010 so no wonder it feels like its understeering all the time

• Advertisement

oh and i changed the huge jedward screen for the std one, improved the looks and not that much difference in wind noise etc either

Advertisement