Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Arizona Cardinals thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

dougal wrote: »
    Looks like Ellington might play tonight - they are saying game time decision.
    Hope he plays because he is our only running back that is a receiving threat too.

Wow that would be big. I would imagine our defensive game plan focused on Ellington quite a bit and him not being there was to our advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Floods in Phoenix have caused freeways and schools to be closed.
    The game will be okay - roof was closed for the rains and the field brought in.

10702225_10152736192559015_1807497307494003947_n.jpg?oh=cf6cb64458dbc1e54f4e4e72eb93701b&oe=54A4EF8E&__gda__=1419133425_0a15901e041aa9e1d086f61f10fb0336

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So I should bet my money on San Diego tonight eh

Fair play lads... wondering did we lose it or you win it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

kryogen wrote: »
    So I should bet my money on San Diego tonight eh
    Hope you didn't kryogen :)
    A good and fully deserved win for the Cards over an overrated SD team.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Fair play lads... wondering did we lose it or you win it though?

Haven't watched the game yet but looking at the stats it looks like home field advantage and the Cards D kept us in it and the offence stopped the mistakes to pull out the win.

SD won the turnover count 2-1 and blocked a punt so I'm happy enough with the win taking that into account.

Need to watch the game later to see how we looked overall.

Haven't watched the game yet but looking at the stats it looks like home field advantage and the Cards D kept us in it and the offence stopped the mistakes to pull out the win.

SD won the turnover count 2-1 and blocked a punt so I'm happy enough with the win taking that into account.

Need to watch the game later to see how we looked overall.

We couldn't get to grips with your defensive front, u kinda bullied us there but we still had the winning of the game and blew it. Still think we can do the Seahawks for ya.

Btw munstermagic overrated by whom?

Leslie91 wrote: »
    We couldn't get to grips with your defensive front, u kinda bullied us there but we still had the winning of the game and blew it. Still think we can do the Seahawks for ya.

Watched the condensed Game pass there at lunch.
    First half was very sloppy for both teams - Cards moved the ball but couldn't convert. The Chargers had a good drive to start the 2nd half but other than that didn't look great. The Cards defense was good overall especially in the 4th when they got a lot of pressure on Rivers!
    Michael Floyd had a great game really came up with some big plays.
    Palmer was lucky on a couple of throws but when it mattered he played well.
    Ellington didn't look 100% but made a few nice plays. Taylor did well when he came in - I like the way he hid in the corner of the endzone for 5 mins on the TD! ;)

All in all an okay start and positive signs - Palmer hit 11 different receivers but it was a bit worrying that Fitz didn't see much of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I thought Palmer had a pretty good game, he performed very well when it really mattered and it was reassuring to know that he's able to use his legs every so often!

Larry Foote had a great game as well and he seemed like he very capable in filling Washington's boots. The Cardinals performance wasn't awe-inspiring but it's good knowing the injuries/suspensions seemingly haven't affected the team too much, if at all!

kingcobra wrote: »
    I thought Palmer had a pretty good game, he performed very well when it really mattered and it was reassuring to know that he's able to use his legs every so often!

Larry Foote had a great game as well and he seemed like he very capable in filling Washington's boots. The Cardinals performance wasn't awe-inspiring but it's good knowing the injuries/suspensions seemingly haven't affected the team too much, if at all!

I heard BA gave Palmer a game ball for rushing 29 yards in the game! His scramble at the start of the game winning drive was big. I thought he did a good job of evading the rush too.

Larry Foote had a great game but Minter was a non-factor.
    More bad news coming out this week that Abrahams is considering retirement and that his head isn't in the game. We really need an OLB to step up and get to the QB or we are going to be putting the secondary under a lot of pressure!

• Advertisement

More bad news coming out this week that Abrahams is considering retirement and that his head isn't in the game. We really need an OLB to step up and get to the QB or we are going to be putting the secondary under a lot of pressure!

Team expects update on Abrahams in the next 24 hours but I would say he is done. As I said we need someone to step up and soon as yesterdays game showed.

The game really turned on Ginn's Punt return. Up to that point we had been looking poor on defence (the refs were calling everything in the secondary - which didn't help either team). After the return the Giants just imploded, fumbles, dropped passes galore and we were lucky to get the W.

Stanton played well considering - no mistakes and made some big throws at times. Ellington was excellent all day and really could have gone over 100 yards. And great game from our rookie kicker - 100 per cent can't ask for more!

Next week is going to be tough - we need to be able to get pressure on Kaepernick. Hopefully Palmer is back and the offence is a bit more in sync!

Team expects update on Abrahams in the next 24 hours but I would say he is done. As I said we need someone to step up and soon as yesterdays game showed.

The game really turned on Ginn's Punt return. Up to that point we had been looking poor on defence (the refs were calling everything in the secondary - which didn't help either team). After the return the Giants just imploded, fumbles, dropped passes galore and we were lucky to get the W.

Stanton played well considering - no mistakes and made some big throws at times. Ellington was excellent all day and really could have gone over 100 yards. And great game from our rookie kicker - 100 per cent can't ask for more!

Next week is going to be tough - we need to be able to get pressure on Kaepernick. Hopefully Palmer is back and the offence is a bit more in sync!

John Abraham will be returning for the rest of season so hopefully he'll add a lot to the pass rush if he's able to play against the 49'ers.

I was really really disappointed with the secondary from the Giants game, especially considering that's probably one of the defense's strengths at the minute.
    Fortunately, Stanton looked pretty solid considering he hasn't played a game in 3+ years. However, the team really needs Palmer to come back in order to get to the playoffs. At least we've a bit of breathing room with the 49'ers and Seahawks losses over the weekend.

With all that said, it's pretty cool to be able to say there were plenty of faults in the team despite the two score win. :D

John Abraham will be returning for the rest of season so hopefully he'll add a lot to the pass rush if he's able to play against the 49'ers.

I was really really disappointed with the secondary from the Giants game, especially considering that's probably one of the defense's strengths at the minute.
    Fortunately, Stanton looked pretty solid considering he hasn't played a game in 3+ years. However, the team really needs Palmer to come back in order to get to the playoffs. At least we've a bit of breathing room with the 49'ers and Seahawks losses over the weekend.

With all that said, it's pretty cool to be able to say there were plenty of faults in the team despite the two score win. :D

Fingers crossed that when Abraham does get back on the field he will get up to speed straight away but I think we need to get some pass rush from somewhere else too. It's definitely affecting the secondary's play!

Big game now Sunday - a win would put us in a great spot going into the bye week.

But of course...Johnathan Dwyer has to go and get involved in a domestic abuse case despite all the furor about it the last couple of weeks. Ellington didn't participate in practice yesterday either so we're down to just two healthy RBs, Taylor and Hughes, who've only had a couple of carries combined this year.

But we'll still beat the 49'ers regardless :cool:

But of course...Johnathan Dwyer has to go and get involved in a domestic abuse case despite all the furor about it the last couple of weeks. Ellington didn't participate in practice yesterday either so we're down to just two healthy RBs, Taylor and Hughes, who've only had a couple of carries combined this year.

The Dwyer incident happened in July not that it makes it any better!

Ellington is hopefully just resting his injured foot and will practice later in the week.

I wasn't too confident of this going in at halftime but Stanton really picked it up a level in the second half and the defense got tough when it needed to.

Excellent game by John Brown - he was wide open for both TD's and Stanton found him well. Was really impressed with Stanton's deep throws he really gets some air on them. Carlson has been a great addition to the team at TE too he is proving a great outlet. I am still worried by how little Fitz is getting involved in the game - his fumble was so unlike him and I think he needs to be targeted more to get him in the flow.

The FG block was big at the time as it kept the 49'ers at arms reach and put extra pressure on Kaepernick. Also the headbutt by Boldin really helped put them on the back foot on that drive! What a stupid thing for a veteran like him to do!

So 3-0 going into the bye week without really firing on all cylinders is a good place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭DaithiMa

Great win tonight. We have a serious team. Arians is a top class coach.

Okay, Cowboys were missing Romo, but we were missing our own starting QB for three games and managed to win two. We were desperately unlucky not to make the playoffs last year at 10-6, and with our end of season form I was convinced we would have got to the Superbowl if we had of made the playoffs. Arians has set his stall out to keep it in our own hands this year, and it looks like the plan is working.

The best thing about this season, in my opinion, is that we are yet to play to our full potential. We are worst in the league on pass defence. Worst!! Yet we have the best record. 7-1. We are winning games by the bare minimum (until tonight) and just doing enough. If we start to get a few more sacks we will be hard to stop. I think we can only improve.

Mathieu is getting back to what he was last year. Palmer is excelling. Interceptions are the exception now and not the rule. Fitzgerald is starting to come into form. Floyd has been quiet but has it in him. Frostee Rucker/Larry Foote have been immense. Cromartie has 3 picks in 2 games. John Brown has been a revelation (just needs to cut out the drops) Even the rookie kicker has excelled. 100% record!! And Ellington? A fcuking rocket haha!!

Am looking forward to the remainder of the season. Hopefully we can get to the playoffs without any major injuries. If we can do that we have a chance. We can beat anyone on our day. Especially at home. G'Wan the fcukin Cardinals!!!

DaithiMa wrote: »
    Great win tonight. We have a serious team. Arians is a top class coach.

This team seems to be able to make a big play when the chips are down. All 4 touchdowns came on 3rd down plays, the 4th down stop of Murray and Honey Badgers interception were all huge. I nearly forgot the FG block - Bethel must be closing in on league records on blocks. I still can't understand how PP got caught on that return though, great play by Witten in fairness.

Arians really is doing an amazing coaching job - the team is playing at a consistently high level.

I think it's pretty astounding how we're the worst ranked pass defense. I'd be expecting the Cards to be at least average at worst. Considering we have one of the best corners in the league in Peterson (although he has been relatively poor recently), Mathieu, Cromartie and Bucannon, you'd think the secondary wouldn't be such a weakness, statistically speaking, for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

New three year deal to be announced later tonight for Palmer it seems.

• Advertisement

New three year deal to be announced later tonight for Palmer it seems.

It's just our luck that Palmer signs this deal, which I was delighted with, and then goes and blows his knee out yesterday!
    Stanton has looked comfortable when he has come in and the pass to Brown shows the arm he has! What an amazing catch though.
    As I said last week this team seems to come up with the big plays when it matters and in the 4th quarter the defense really stepped it up.

Great win on Sunday.Typical bad luck for us with Palmer though. Such a horrible thing to happen. I hope he can come back from it. He really does come across as a genuinely good lad.

All is not lost though. Arians will tailor the offensive gameplan to suit Stanton who luckily for us knows his playbook very well. And who knows, he could have been 3-0 if he hadn't got knocked out of the Broncos game (remember we lost Campbell at a crucial time in that game too). Obviously there is no denying he is a step down from Palmer, but in all fairness it has been our defence that has been winning games for us. The seahawks managed to grind their way to the superbowl last year-If we can beat the Lions I think we can do the same.

DaithiMa wrote: »
    All is not lost though. Arians will tailor the offensive gameplan to suit Stanton who luckily for us knows his playbook very well. And who knows, he could have been 3-0 if he hadn't got knocked out of the Broncos game (remember we lost Campbell at a crucial time in that game too). Obviously there is no denying he is a step down from Palmer, but in all fairness it has been our defence that has been winning games for us. The seahawks managed to grind their way to the superbowl last year-If we can beat the Lions I think we can do the same.

Hmmm. Injuries have caught up with us just at the wrong time of the season.
    Stanton is under too much pressure and he is throwing far too many risky passes. The running game has disappeared the last couple of weeks - not that it was great before that but it was keeping the all out blitz off.
    We have 4 tough games remaining and are going to have to up our level on both sides of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm surprised they haven't brought in QB to gamble on. Somebody like Grossman or even Brad Sorensen who showed a good arm in his preseason games with the Chargers.

Stanton clearly isn't good enough and wants too long in the pocket to check down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

have to say I think the Cards will miss the playoffs now. With divisional games still to go I think they will drop all the way out. The Palmer injury has hurt them badly.

Okay - now down to our 4th string QB that has never thrown a TD in the NFL and the No. 1 seed in the NFC on the line!
    Should be a fun Sunday!!!

Another good season bubbling up for the Cards, playing well on both sides of the ball and giving reason for optimism.
    Keeping Carson Palmer healthy is key to getting to and possibly going deep in the playoffs.
    Palmer and Fitzgerald is a potent combination and it really is exciting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, you're worried every time Palmer takes a hit! The Defence were absolutely dominant last night. I know the 49'ers are a bit of a mess right now, but they were something else.

I'd fancy them to take the Division, barring a serious injury to Palmer.

infacteh wrote: »
    Yeah, you're worried every time Palmer takes a hit! The Defence were absolutely dominant last night. I know the 49'ers are a bit of a mess right now, but they were something else.

I'd fancy them to take the Division, barring a serious injury to Palmer.

Not sure why Palmer was in the game for the 4th quarter yesterday - but that's the way Bruce Arians rolls so fair enough.

The secondary is very good, all versatile players that can play multiple spots.
    I still think that at OLB we are not getting enough pressure but overall the D is very solid.

• Advertisement

Big game tomorrow. Can't wait for it. Palmer playing well. Fitz flying. Chris Johnson running amok. Big difference to when we went there last year. Unreal that Ellington is only second string. We have serious depth in most positions. Bar QB,though in fairness there are worse backups than Stanton. We've just got to keep praying that Palmer stays healthy. If he does who knows where we could go... And also Mathieu!! What a player.

Advertisement