Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batman: The Complete Animated Series

Options
  • 01-05-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭

Batman: The Complete Animated Series

Will we ever see it released over here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

One can only dream... Still get goosebumps every time I hear that opening:o

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

But it's not an anime or a manga?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

gearoidof wrote: »
    But it's not an anime or a manga?

true but there isn't a general animation forum only a prime time cartoons forum which Batman animated also is not.

OP this topic has come up in the comics forum before, the first two seasons have been released on region 2 but no word on anything further. Given the lack of an animation forum might be more useful to the OP to move the thread to the comics forum.

Best thing to do is pick up seasons 1 and 2 in HMV,13 euro each and then pick up 3 and 4 online. I got all 4 for my birthday last December and it's an exceptional collection of some of the finest moments of 90s television.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Best thing to do is pick up seasons 1 and 2 in HMV,13 euro each and then pick up 3 and 4 online. I got all 4 for my birthday last December and it's an exceptional collection of some of the finest moments of 90s television.

I was thinking about that but there is no HMV in Waterford :( Plus i'd love the complete set in the gorgeous case with the special features disc and the art book....and region 2 is a bit of a must :(

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I was thinking about that but there is no HMV in Waterford :( Plus i'd love the complete set in the gorgeous case with the special features disc and the art book....and region 2 is a bit of a must :(

The complete set is no longer available, my parents tried to get it for me but when they looked the cheapest they could get it for was over 150 euro. While I would have loved it I told them to just get the individual box sets. At the end of the day what would you rather, a nice box which just sits on the shelf or 4 individual boxes which serve the same purpose but costs over 100 euro less?

The complete set is no longer available, my parents tried to get it for me but when they looked the cheapest they could get it for was over 150 euro. While I would have loved it I told them to just get the individual box sets. At the end of the day what would you rather, a nice box which just sits on the shelf or 4 individual boxes which serve the same purpose but costs over 100 euro less?

Yeah true but since they only released in region 1 format i'm hoping they will release it to us in region 2 format sometime! Fingers crossed :)

tman wrote: »
    One can only dream... Still get goosebumps every time I hear that opening:o

We share a common dream so :D

Yeah true but since they only released in region 1 format i'm hoping they will release it to us in region 2 format sometime! Fingers crossed :)

Highly doubt it tbh, I don't think DVD sales of season 1 and 2 were that great this side of the pond which may be one of the reasons that it's taking so long for the remainder to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,835 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

never even heard of this

im a big batman fan so is it worth getting ?

any chance of the dvd being region free ? (thinking of getting it from America)

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    never even heard of this

You've never heard of Batman the animated Series, one of the most popular and criticially respected series of the 90s? Do yourself a favour and buy it now, it's a stunning achievement and manages to perfectly capture everything that Batman should be. Also check out the superb mask of Phantasm, which is the best Batman film, after The Dark Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,835 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You've never heard of Batman the animated Series, one of the most popular and criticially respected series of the 90s? Do yourself a favour and buy it now, it's a stunning achievement and manages to perfectly capture everything that Batman should be. Also check out the superb mask of Phantasm, which is the best Batman film, after The Dark Knight.
    Oh its the 90s version. Iv watched that. It was awsome, better than the crap they produce today. I thought it was a new batman animation. Cheers darko anyway

never even heard of this

Being born in 92 I had some awesome cartoons growing up to watch and I can tell you this is No.1! It can be adored by children but it has a dark and mature atmosphere unlike most cartoons so adults also love it. It's a definate watch!

Highly doubt it tbh, I don't think DVD sales of season 1 and 2 were that great this side of the pond which may be one of the reasons that it's taking so long for the remainder to be released.

Just hoping after they release 3 and 4 it will be released! A boy can dream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Both season 1 and 2 were exclusive to HMV so that would have hindered sales. The Complete Animated Series they released in region 1 was a limited series and went out of print at the start of '09, they did a second printing but then with drew it. There may be legal reasons that have caused all this delay but there doesn't seem to be any info around as to what it could be. I've heard you can download [legally] from the uk itunes store seasons 3 and 4 but haven't checked that. The irish itunes has only started doing films not sure what the plan is for tv shows.

*edit yep you can buy all 4 seasons plus 3 seasons of batman beyond on the itunes uk store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

never even heard of this

You've never heard of Batman TAS? Amazing show. Sure, the animation may look a bit clunky by today's digital standards, but the writing is amazing. It's amazing to think that this one series gave us Harley Quinn and the reinvention of Mr. freeze (From a standard criminal to a tragic figure). It treated the whole idea of Batman with intelligence. As I said in another thread: At the same time that val Kimler was driving up walls TAS was looking into the whole idea of the psyche of Batman and asking what kind of lunatic does what he does.

You ask if it's worth it? I one word:

Essential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Being born in 92 I had some awesome cartoons growing up to watch and I can tell you this is No.1!

Heh, I was born 10 years before and also grew up watching this:o

tman wrote: »
    Heh, I was born 10 years before and also grew up watching this:o

Classic cartoons are timeless and thus are bound to no particular age :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gothamite

For anyone worried about regional restrictions, I bought Seasons 3 and 4 from the U.S. (via Amazon.com) and they worked just fine on my ancient DVD players, without me having to tweak anything.

The only Batman DVDs I've ever had difficulty playing because of regional difficulties was Season One (which I also got from the US) which is probably because it's quite old as far as DVD sets go. But Season One is available in Region 2 format, so you should be fine.

Definitely invest in the complete series, if you can. I'm happy enough with my individual boxsets, but I'd love to have it in a more attractive case.

As for the series itself, it's a bombastic masterpiece and certainly the most definitive piece of Batman media in existence. The voice cast is nothing short of phenomenal and for my money, Kevin Conroy gives the greatest performance as Batman, in the history of the character. I really, really, really hope they make an animated 'The Dark Knight Returns' film with him (and Mark Hamill as the Joker of course) at some point in the future to celebrate twenty years of Batman animation.

(When you've finished watching Batman, be sure to pick up the other DCU cartoon sets, most notably Justice League: The Complete Series which I got during the year and is excellent :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Does anyone know what's the difference between this version and this version of volume 2?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what's the difference between this version and this version of volume 2?

Batman - The Animated Series Vol.2: Tales Of A Dark Knight contains 5 episodes from various parts of the shows run where as Batman: The Animated Series - Vol.2 has I believe 22 or so episodes. The latter one is the one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Thanks Darko. Is there a better version of vol.1 - the one on play.com only has 5 episodes, is there another version with more episodes?

Thanks Darko. Is there a better version of vol.1 - the one on play.com only has 5 episodes, is there another version with more episodes?

Best thing to do is to head into a HMV and pick it up there, 13 euro for the proper vol 1. Otherwise I'd recommend orderign all 4 on R1 DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emilybrendon62

i just luv Batman

Best thing to do is to head into a HMV and pick it up there, 13 euro for the proper vol 1. Otherwise I'd recommend orderign all 4 on R1 DVD.

This is your best bet, really. Just be careful that you have your DVD player unlocked to "Region Free" mode. This is easy enough to do. Just google "How do I make my DVD player Region Free?" and you should get a long list of sites with simple codes you key in with your remote that allow you to play any International DVD you like.

I just got The Complete Superman Animated Series for $35 from Amazon and all the discs work just fine on my Blu-Ray player. The Superman series isn't as good as Batman (or even Justice League), mostly because I guess the creators were too cautious about using a 'traditional' Superman (the corny-but-fun boy scout from the movies and the Lois & Clark show and other shows) and instead made him kind of quiet and pretty boring.

Plus he doesn't have the rogues' gallery that Batman has.

The episodes are still worth a watch and the price is excellent, considering how much material you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2 pages and no-one has mentioned how Batman: TAS led to THIS:

Off-topic, I still miss the glory days of good Toonami.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Madjackjr

i heard of Big O but never seen it i must investagate this
    what has surprised me more after two page no one put this

While I enjoy that opening quite a bit, I don't like how it has the Danny Elfman music from the Tim Burton Batman movies, rather than the (far superior, IMO) Shirley Walker theme that was used throughout the Animated Series, Mask of the Phantasm and the greater DCAU.

I'm surprised no one has posted this:

or this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If anyone hasn't seen it then Batman: Under the Red Hood is great, sadly it's not Mark Hamill doing the Joker but Neil Patrick Harris is Nightwing(first robin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Under the Red Hood

Wow, that movie was DEFINITELY not for little kids :D

Advertisement