Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Questions and Answers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 theprizelamb

Thanks for that - am looking to get a degree in maths and have been looking every where for evening/partime courses in maths but cant come across any, and literally just stumbled across this thread last night!

How do you find the course? Did you have to contact them directly to see what credit transfer you would be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks for that - am looking to get a degree in maths and have been looking every where for evening/partime courses in maths but cant come across any, and literally just stumbled across this thread last night!

How do you find the course? Did you have to contact them directly to see what credit transfer you would be allowed?

It's great, the materials are excellent and the tutors are helpful, can't really fault it at all. If you have a look at the course description again you'll see that 60 out of the 360 credits you need for the degree are a free choice. That means you must take 300 credits from the compulsory modules and electives meeting all the requirements, eg a minimum no of credits at different levels. The final 60 credits can be more maths modules of your choice at any level OR any other modules offered by OU at any level - so if you have an interest in learning something else eg Beginners Spanish you could do that etc OR you can use the credit transfer system and be awarded credit for previous 3rd level study. I did this because it cost's nothing and I'm still getting the degree at the end of it. I brought my original degree and transcript to their office, they took a photocopy and gave me back my original and they award 5 credits for each module completed up to max 60 credits for the maths module. So it saved me having to pay for 2 more 30 credit maths modules. You can apply for the credit transfer any time during your studies and it doesn't matter what your previous degree was in. It's a bit like taking First Year Arts and choosing four subjects to fulfill requirements and dropping 2 at the end of the year. It's basically the equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Question on the exemptions.

Do they have to be a full completed course (cert/dip/Degree)
    or do you know if you can use completed modules credits?

I have about 1.5 years worth of a science/IT degree that i'll never be able to finish but would like to try and use the ECTS for something prodductive.

I've looked at the Open Uni site but cant seem to find the info i need.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They should be able to count it towards something - contact the OU Credit Transfer office. They're normally pretty good and answering any questions you might have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Agent J wrote: »
    Question on the exemptions.

Do they have to be a full completed course (cert/dip/Degree)
    or do you know if you can use completed modules credits?

I have about 1.5 years worth of a science/IT degree that i'll never be able to finish but would like to try and use the ECTS for something prodductive.

I've looked at the Open Uni site but cant seem to find the info i need.

The OU can assess incomplete study - you need a Transcript of Results - ECTS points helpful and if you want credit towards a specific degree i.e not the Open degree, you will need a syllabus for the matching assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Dinkers

I got a BA Hons in Humanities in 2005. It was sometimes a very hard slog trying to complete essays with a deadline looming up. I managed to do this by studying most evenings and weekends while working and commuting. It was'nt easy but each year brought a huge sense of achievement when the exams were over in October. Sometimes it was difficult trying to plan family holidays around TMA deadlines.

However, it was a wonderful experience. The tutors were great. The OU staff were always very helpful. I made some great friendships along the way. My family were a huge support to me. And we had a wonderful reason to celebrate after my conferring in the Helix.

Since then my studies have opened up a huge appreciation of the world around us through the buildings on the streets, going to plays, art exhibitions and concerts. Even just selecting CDs and books in the library or shops has been influenced by my studies.

The whole experience was life enhancing.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I am considering moving to england for the duration of my OU course to avail of the cheaper fees, is there a minimum time I must be in residence there in order to qualify for the sterling rate? Do I have to be on the english system, i.e. tax, prsi etc, to be able to avail of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tacpot

I'm hoping to study for BA Humanities with the OU.

The recommended first course is AA100 "The arts past and present" which starts in October 2009 and finishes in June 2010.

Every other module seems to have a start date in February each year which means that I will either have a long gap between modules (from June 2010 to February 2011) or will have to start my second module in February 2010 while I am only half way throught the first.

I am reasonably confident that I won't be struggling with AA100 as it will cover topics I am familiar with and have a strong interest in but I don't want to get overwhelmed as I work fulltime.

Has anyone else taken on two modules together without regrettting it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AA100 starts in either October or February (so you can begin on either sitting).

Some popular courses have two sessions a year - but many just still offer one (starting February).

You could always wait until the February presentation, then do the other courses as you wish Two courses + full time work isn't something I'd really recommend, even if you're familiar with some of the material on the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

I am considering moving to england for the duration of my OU course to avail of the cheaper fees, is there a minimum time I must be in residence there in order to qualify for the sterling rate? Do I have to be on the english system, i.e. tax, prsi etc, to be able to avail of it?

No minimum time, no proof of tax, you just sign a declaration on the registration form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 racemaker

Tacpot wrote: »
    I'm hoping to study for BA Humanities with the OU.

The recommended first course is AA100 "The arts past and present" which starts in October 2009 and finishes in June 2010.

Every other module seems to have a start date in February each year which means that I will either have a long gap between modules (from June 2010 to February 2011) or will have to start my second module in February 2010 while I am only half way throught the first.

I am reasonably confident that I won't be struggling with AA100 as it will cover topics I am familiar with and have a strong interest in but I don't want to get overwhelmed as I work fulltime.

Has anyone else taken on two modules together without regrettting it?

I am taking two modules starting in October but I don't work full time so I would have more time. I really depends on the courses and how much time you can put into them. Lots of people do two or even three courses if they can juggle them properly.

Its all down to how much time you can realistically put into each module.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Does anyone know if its really nuts to go straight into a level 2 course. I am interested in a diploma thats one level 2 and one level 3, but the prospectus and website advice to start with level 1 which would be handy for points for a degree but I havent decided to go that far yet.

Can anyone give me their opinion?

FinoBlad wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its really nuts to go straight into a level 2 course. I am interested in a diploma thats one level 2 and one level 3, but the prospectus and website advice to start with level 1 which would be handy for points for a degree but I havent decided to go that far yet.

Can anyone give me their opinion?

It depends on the course and your educational background really. Eg. if you were going to do a Diploma in French and you already have a Arts Degree where you did first year French, you might find that you are already at Level 1 standard or above and would be easily able to do Level 2. If you have no experience in the area it might not be as easy. What are you planning on doing?

Its the Diploma in Design and Innovation that I wanted to do. I havent studied that in any shape or form before though. I think I'll just start at level 1 like advised by the ou.

Its the Diploma in Design and Innovation that I wanted to do. I havent studied that in any shape or form before though. I think I'll just start at level 1 like advised by the ou.

The other thing you can do is contact the OU office in Dublin, the number is on the website, they have materials from each of the modules which you can have a look at to get a feel for a course and see if you're better suited to Level 1 or Level 2

Cheers. L1 was recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 click_it

Their Open day is on the 29th of August from 11am-4pm in the Clarion Hotel in the IFSC

I just discovered the tax relief is only 20% of the course fee. That's fairly miserable imo :(

I just discovered the tax relief is only 20% of the course fee. That's fairly miserable imo :(

It's better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LauraAK

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for a credit transfer application to be approved?
    I'm just about to apply, and am wondering if there is any chance it would be approved in time for me to apply for a module beginning in October this year, the closing date for registration is the 11th of September.
    Will I have time or will I have to wait until next year?

• Advertisement

LauraAK wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for a credit transfer application to be approved?
    I'm just about to apply, and am wondering if there is any chance it would be approved in time for me to apply for a module beginning in October this year, the closing date for registration is the 11th of September.
    Will I have time or will I have to wait until next year?

Credit transfer can be done at any time of the year. I got credit transfer done in January, I dropped my documents into the office in Dublin, they photocopied and stamped them there and then and I had the credit transfer in a couple of days. Why do you need the credit transfer to start a module though. You can start a module without the credit transfer, it's independent of the modules you study unless you're looking to get an exemption for a particular module.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LauraAK

I have a diploma and am hoping to start studying at level 3. I assume I need the credit transfer approved before I go ahead and start studying at level 3? It's good to know it was quick, I'll bring my documents to the office tomorrow.

LauraAK wrote: »
    I have a diploma and am hoping to start studying at level 3. I assume I need the credit transfer approved before I go ahead and start studying at level 3? It's good to know it was quick, I'll bring my documents to the office tomorrow.

It must be your original transcript and diploma, they are efficient. I think they allow you to study level 3 regardless, with a few exceptions, but handy to have the credit transfer sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dalkener

Lou2713 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice in relation to fees for studying with the OU from Ireland.

I was all set to register for my first course at £630 for the module. I calculated this as €686.77 at today's rate. When I went to register, it said that the fee to sign up from Ireland was £1330 which is almost €1500!!
    I saw another thread where somebody said that its no longer expensive to study with OU due to the exchange rates but how can they justify this difference? Surely, the only difference would be in postage? It was fair enough when there was a huge gap between sterling and the euro but its rediculous now. Has anyone else queried this?

I would appreciate any information as I was all set but I can't afford to pay more than double!

Curious if anybody knows, looked at some of the other posts relating to this and that the courses are subsidized by the uk government. Wondering would it be possible to have PO box in the north and get away with this???

dalkener wrote: »
    Curious if anybody knows, looked at some of the other posts relating to this and that the courses are subsidized by the uk government. Wondering would it be possible to have PO box in the north and get away with this???

I doubt it because it's obviouly not your home address. Also you would then be put down for tutorials and exams. The money you would save would be spent travelling up and down to Belfast. I'm sure if it was possible everyone would be doing it.

There is tax relief available for doing a degree through OU, I've been claiming my tax back for the last three years. It's pretty straightforward as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dalkener

Thanks for that, was thinking of a PO box in Newry. The expense of travel wouldn't be a hassle as I regularly work in that area for my present job. Sounds too easy though,as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you do your shopping in Tesco and get clubcard points you can use the vouchers you save towards OU fees.The value of clubcard vouchers is quadrupled if exchanged for OU vouchers eg. €10 of clubcard points will get you €40 of OU vouchers.

It's handy with grocery shopping but it's particularly worthwhile if you're buying electronics.If you need to buy any electronics its well worth watching out for Tesco deals on electronics where they offer 50% of the value of your puchase back in clubcard points. For example I bought a laptop for €500 and got 50% in clubcard points. That €250 in points then can translate into a €1000 voucher for the OU. I apologise if this has already been posted but I found it valuable so it might be worth repeating for someone.

Details are here under the Learning section : http://www.tesco.ie/clubcarddeals/

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Hi
    I've been looking at some of the posts in this forum and the Ou seems highly taught of by students. I'm looking at doing a degree in computing and the OU course seems to generate more positive feedback that the Oscail course I was looking at. Just wondering if anyone has gotten a degree in computing through the OU and have they managed to land a job in the computing field with it. Don't want to go to the trouble of 5 or 6 years studying and have no job at the end. Thanks.
    Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

Sorry Mickmac76. I don't personally know anyone with a business degree (OU or otherwise) so I can't help you there but I do know the Open University is very well regarded. Students from there are generally very well motivated and dedicated so this is a big bonus to employers when the time comes. My question about the Open University is can I start a Master's with them if my BA is still pending? I'm hoping to finish my BA in Psychology with them in June. However as far as I know the graduation ceremony will be the follwing April. As I want to my Master's with them I'm hoping they'll let me being a Master's next October. Has anyone been able to do this without having all of your BA documents first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,183 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Has anyone studied any of the Science courses through OU?

I have just missed the deadline for October for Exploring Science so plan to do a few 10 point courses in Darwin Evolution and Empire of microbes to fill in the time between now and Feb.

Anyone do either of these??

Advertisement