Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Resort Report thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

WHERE:

Zell am See/Kaprun, Austria

Dublin - Salzburg, Directski, 4* HB, Der Schmittenhof
    After the first night I complained that it wasn't 4 star as the whole holiday was a valentines gift for my gf. The hotel itself was fine but the room they put us in was in another building and was not up to a 4 star standard. (I'd sleep in a shed but the GF is a little picky) after the second night we were moved to Neue Post.

Surprise surprise, the same was done to us. Booked the hotel 2 days before arrival and they said we canceled it after a couple of minutes after the booking with a comment saying due to "Health problems". But after complaining she rang up and said it was actually canceled 3 hours after the booking. We were all too tired too look for another hotel with such short notice so we decided to stay. in the "3star" pension that is also owned by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

EileenG wrote: »

Much better at skiing ice when I was finished.

One of the better lines on these review pages...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

1. Where and when you went.
    Sauze D'oulx, Italy from 27/02/11 - 06/03/11

2. What you did there ski/board/blade.
    Snowboard

3. How were the conditions on/off piste.
    One word - perfect. It hadn't snowed in about a week by the Sunday we arrived but it started snowing on the Sunday we arrived and didn't stop until Wednesday morning, meaning conditions were absolutely amazing. On-piste got a little choppy, but off-piste was brilliant. It started snowing again on Wednesday night, all day Thursday, and for half of Friday, and the conditions off-piste on Friday morning were the best I've ever experienced, and made this the best snowboard holiday I've ever had. Seriously, 2 - 3 feet of snow, falling so heavily that there was fresh snow cover by the time we came back to the same route again. I hadn't really done off-piste before and it really is something else. It's not legal in Italy so not many people do it, which makes it even better!

4. Are you beginner/intermed/advanced.
    Intermediate

5. What were the bars/restaurants like.
    Good, though not cheap. Prices similar to Dublin, both for food and drink. On the slopes the food was quite expensive and for the most part pretty poor. Apres-ski was very lively though and it was quite enjoyable eating pizza after a feed of beer at 2am!

6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort.
    Off-piste! As mentioned, it's illegal, but well worth the risk if it has freshly snowed. Red 11, hanging left onto red 16 (a road) with plenty of places to go off-piste, and down red 12. Or follow red 12 from the top of the mountain to the bottom of the lift - really good run.

7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.
    Not really. In terms of bars/clubs/restaurants, it's lively, though quite rowdy. We saw quite a few fights as the population was predominantly male, I'd guess somewhere around the 70/30 mark, and the main late club (open until 6am), the Cotton Club, is a real kip, holding somewhere around 200 - 250 people with one toilet and lots of trouble.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.
    Mainly English and Scottish, with a good helping of Irish.

9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again.
    I would definitely go again, though the hotel was a really tough uphill walk away from the centre of town and although lifts were available, we'd try to get a hotel in the centre next year. The slopes were excellent though. One word of warning - if you're part of a bunch of single lads looking to head over there on the pull as part of your apres-ski, it's not the spot! We will definitely be considering it as an option next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Kaprun, Austria. 2nd-9th March.

Snowboard

Maischogel - Hard icy patches near the bottom of the slope was not suitable for beginners especially in the morning. Very mild also with no fresh powder so from midday or so it was slushy. Overall can't complain really.

Kitzsteinhorn - Awesome. That is really all there is to it. Lots of powder in comparison to Maiskogel as it is a higher mountain etc. Anything you want in terms of freeriding, snowparks and easier or even challenging runs.

Didn't venture off piste much at all as the lessons I had were not geared towards it.

Intermediate now :)

Depends what you are looking for I guess, prices are similar to Ireland but not crazy. €16-€25 approx for a main course in the couple of restaurants we were in. As for nightlife it is a small town and more geared towards families so only really a couple of livelier places, the pavillion in the centre of town always had a crowd and tunes thumping. If you want more in terms of nightlife go to Zell am See (15 mins away and €16 one way taxi).

If you can rent with Europsport or Sport2000 it's probably better than Intersport: much friendlier, helpful and crucially(for us) cheaper (Ask for a discount and be happily surprised). The trade off is, up Kitzsteinhorn there are 2x Intersport stores if you want to swap gear or get something fixed/tweaked it is convenient rather than a bus and gondolas back to town.

I got lessons with both "Ski Mit Uns" and "Ski & Snowboard Kaprun". Both very friendly, helpful and crucially knowledgeable. I have preference for Ski Mit Uns as their freestyle workshops are fantastic value and very rewarding. Also had the Dutch ladies' indoor freestyle champion one of the days as instructor which was pretty cool.

7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.If you are hitting the Maischogel you have to stop off at the Glocknerblik - just head right off the top of the mountain on the black slope and follow the sign. Cozier restaurant/bar with a simply stunning unobstructed view of the Alps. Make sure to get the Hermann Maier Menu dish (Bacon, eggs, sausage and fried potato). Great to refuel in the middle of the day.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.

SFA in terms of Irish, met I think 4 people all week other than our group. Lots of Dutch, Germans and Austrians. Not so many Brits, Italians or Scandies.

Most definitely, overall I much preferred Kaprun over Sauze D'Oulx(previous trip). A little more expensive but much better terrain, parks, choice of slopes and ski schools. Also the ski pass covers Zell am See too which we never got round to trying. Maybe we got lucky but everything was top notch that we got from food, instructors/schools, accommodation and the staff were always fluent in English and happy to do that little extra - be it a free drink or 2, extra runs after the lessons were officially done. If you are thinking of going, just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Saas Fee Switzerland 21st April 2011 - 25th of April

Ski

For the last week of the season conditions are amazing snow from 3,900 down to 2,000 meters is amazing from 2,000 - 1,800 in the village is is sugar and syrup all man made but still skiable and not overly sticky or wet.

Off Piste, Still a little about but either moguls or variable some fresh tracks to be had in places. From 10:30 - 13:00 Most of the stuff above 2,000 meters is amazing.

Advanced, Instructor type :)

Its a high end resort and sadly the prices reflect that although there is plenty of good value to be had in the village and lots of cheap places to buy a packed lunch and grab something cheap.

Its the last week of april and you can ski from 3,900 meters to 1,800 meters on 80% fantastic snow. The Park set up this time of the year is incredible and they have a full super pipe and apron 25 different kickers to hit.

Lots of off the hill activites to he had swell for the afternoons.

Gletschergrot restaurant off the beaten track but amazing runs around Spielboden and Popcorn Plaza where deserted and in great condition with plenty of off piste options.

Mostly German, Swiss and a few Brits scattered about. THe resort has 3 resident Irish families so there are always one or two irish about.

Yep will be back here on the Glacier in August! Great resort a little on the pricy side but you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Anyone been Skiing/Snowboarding yet this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Snowbride 2011

Selva Gardena, Dolomites 10-17th December

Ski

Only on piste, arrived over to green fieds but the snow cannons gave a decent area to ski. Very little ice and soft groomed snow

Started snowing on day 2 and continued every second day....slopes were perfection, possibly more snow that the groomers could cope with.

Some runs were closed with the races but should be back open now

Intermediate

Quiet enough at this time of year but not dead.

Approx: Large beer €4, wine house 1/2 litre €7, bottle wine €15-no limit
    Pizza €6-15
    Steaks €17-26
    Other mains €10-18

Restaurants getting busy towards the end of the week, I'd say you'd normally need to book, particularly with a group. There wasn't a huge amount of restaurants outside of hotels

Go in December, no queues and empty pistes...assuming you have snow of course
    Lady in B&B (Schenk - lovely family) said it goes crazy over Christmas and January - January being packed with Russians
    Pork shin bone seems to be on a number of menus - meatlovers will love

Em...

Not really Irish/brits...apparently rare
    Was mainly Italian, German, Dutch and Russian

I would go again, its a big area. Lots n' lots of reds

The main gondala (campiones) is not setup for post ski drinks, there is a bar restuarant at the top of it but its awkward to get to from the back end of the mountain, you need to climb up a short hill

Plan De Glabla has some nice blue runs/reds for the timid intermediate but to get here you have to down a steppish red run from the gondola. There may be an alternative run that was perhaps closed that I didn't see.

The bus is not free - only €7 for a weekly ticket but it pee'd me off

If a beginner, and going to Selva, stay near dantecrepies...loads of easy beginner slopes and you can ski through the town to campionie gondola if required

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Livigno, Italy from 30th Dec - 7th Jan

Board

Decent fresh snowfall on the Saturday we arrived meant great conditions on and off piste for start of week. A little icy by Wednesday eve/Thursday morning esp mid mountain downwards but approx 2-3 foot of snow Thursday made it perfect for our last day of boarding on Friday

Cannons were on a few times during the week

Some runs were closed Friday due to strong winds near the top of mountain

Intermediate

At lunch restaurants were crazy esp near the bottom of lift 25/26. Ate out Tue and Fri evening and restaurants were busy enough. Went to Hotel Cervo and found it excellent value for money, very nice staff and a nice place to eat. You need to book it but they squeezed us in on the Tuesday evening

Approx: Large beer €4, wine house 1/2 litre €7, bottle wine €15-no limit
    Pizza €6-15
    Steaks €14-18
    Other mains €10-18
    Deserts €4ish

I had steak which was v nice but mixed grill was super - so much eating in it and there were 6/7 different types of meat.

Hotel Cervo

Just of the blue Bella Vista (lift 28) run, to the left there is a great off piste section which many people didnt seem to know about or use. Great powder and gentle slope made it great to practice jumps etc

A few Brits but less Irish
    Was mainly Italian, German, Polish and more South Africans than i had expected

I would go again, its a big area. Lots n' lots of great runs and I didn't get to try the Mottolinio (mountain on the opposite side of the valley with a 7K blue run)

Was in Andorra a few times before where there were only chair lifts. It was great to see gondolas and chair lifts which had bubbles to deflect the wind.

One person from our group got intermediate lessons. She said it was ok but she was put in with a group of Italian kids so instructor spent most of the time talking to them in Italian and she hadn't a clue what was going on. Also these "intermediate" lessons were spent teaching some kids how to stand up and how to turn!!

Bus around the resort was free. Mainly used the blue bus but I found that timing could be off especially later in the day. One evening I waited prob 30-40 mins and it never came which meant the same amount of time walking home in freezing windy weather (one of the few lows of Livigno)

Very few black runs around which was a bit disappointing but plenty of reds.

Board park was ok. Box jumps were fairly good. Main park I used was near lift 28. However the jumps were massive 6-8ft mounds. Smaller jumps were found going down the mountain 3-4ft (more to my ability :D)

Didnt find the Italians a particularly friendly bunch (compared to Andorra anyway). I cant really criticize because the Irish are terrible for learning other languages but I was surprised that so many people in the service industry couldnt speak English. The owner of the apartment was one such person but we got our ideas across to her and she to us. Very nice apartment and the owner was one of the friendlier Italians

Definitely would go back and may do again for the New Year (only 11 and a half months :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Snowbride 2011

Saalbach, Austria 26th December - 02nd January

Ski

Arrived over sun and great skiing. It started to snow on day 3 and didn't stop...new snow was up to my knees after a few days.

Unfortunately it rained on the last day and turned the lovely soft stuff to mush

Decent sized area with some nice reds, the blues were bedlam, the blacks (well the only one I managed to hoof myself down) was quiet

Stayed near the Schattberg express lift, this is great for access to Leogang/Hinterglemm. You can loop around the valley to meet the remainder of the lifts in Saalbach. Most of the apres ski bars seemed to be beside these lifts at the top end of town

Intermediate

Not as busy as I thought it would be for new years week but it was picking up for the start of January. Need to reserve your restaurant table early afternoon in order to get fed that night. Prices can vary somewhat so look at the menus first

Soup €4 - €8...yes €8 for a measly tomato soup
    Pizza €10-18
    Steaks €17-26
    Other mains €10-20
    Wine €20 minimum. One restaurant had a bottle of Gruner Vettliner for €30...you can buy it cheaper in a restaurant in Ireland (as I did last weekend)

Drinks = EXPENSIVE
    Was cheaper for alcohol on the mountain that in some of the bars in town
    Large beer = €4-€5 which is fine
    A Gin & Tonic plus a JD & Coke came to €19.50 :eek: and this was not the most expensive price in town. Drink and mixer went up to €12.50
    You could be really caught with the tab system
    The umbrellas bars and Bobbys sold spirits/mixer for €7 but I think the measure was smaller

I'm not a big spirit drinker but I thought this was a little high for Austria

Not that I can think of

Em...

Lots of brits of all ages, south Africans and groups upon groups of young German/Dutch men

Not sure I would go again.
    While the range of slopes was great, I like a good mix between skiing and apres ski. While we were at the wrong end of the resort for 'straight off the slopes, still in my ski boots' drinks, overall it just didn't seem to have the same charm or possibly hospitality as other Austrian resorts IMHO...

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Val Thorens, France. 7th -14th Jan

Ski

It was snowing on the Saturday when we landed in Geneva. So much snow in fact, that our driver was 2 hours delayed in getting to us from people getting stuck on the mountain. It then took 5 hours to get back to Val Thorens from Geneva!!
    Lovely conditions on the slopes. Lovely soft off piste conditions at start of week also. By end of week, it hadnt snowed anymore and it was getting icy in places

Beginner (But was with other friends who were advanced)

Bars & restaurants were quite enough (bar 1 or 2 up the top of the resort) but i'm not too surprised as it was very expensive to eat out

Very good for all levels, so much to do. Plus, an awful lot of the places were ski in/ski out which is very handy!

Do the nightime toboggan!! It is terrifying but also fantastic fun.
    Pitch black in places, bar the light on your helmet, hamering down from the bottom of the glacier with huge drops off the sides and not being able to stop properly :D

Also, make sure to go to Crime Carons, which is 3200m up. Fantastic view of the Alps, with clear views of Mont Blanc. Even the ride up is amazing!

Lots of Brits

Would go again but would find a nicer place to stay than where we stayed. Turned out to be more a hostel than anything else.
    Also, wouldnt use crystal ski again, their reps were brutal over there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    Just of the blue Bella Vista (lift 28) run, to the left there is a great off piste section which many people didnt seem to know about or use. Great powder and gentle slope made it great to practice jumps etc

I would go again, its a big area. Lots n' lots of great runs and I didn't get to try the Mottolinio (mountain on the opposite side of the valley with a 7K blue run)

Hey Bobby, a bit confused as to your description of that off piste area: under lift 28, left is uphill, you surely can't sustain enough momentum to get over the big cat track above you on the left? Unless you hiked it? Could you have been on an ungroomed blue slope - there should be 2 or 3 in parallel under that lift?

A nice off piste spot on the Carosello is over in the Federia area (back of Carosello) relatively unused and very safe. But the Carabinieri allegedly take a strong dislike to off-piste antics, so keep the kickers small! I never had trouble, in my 4 or 5 trips there.

It's a shame you didn't get to the Mottolino, the park over there far surpasses anything the Carosello staff can muster, I've found. There's a few reasonable blacks over there too. Nothing particularly challenging, gradient wise, but fun to be had.

Where?

Ischgl, Austria

When?

12 - 15th January, 2012

How / Cost?

Aer Lingus to Zurich – €160 return with a bag despite only booking it the week previously

Flight back left at 20.45 allowing for a full day’s skiing on way home

Hired a car for about €250 including petrol and tolls. Ordered a Kia on my brother’s correct prediction that they wouldn’t have any available – got a four wheel drive for same price as a result! Long delays driving out of the resort on a Sunday, leave plenty of time.

Ski rental was ferocious - €92 for boots skis and poles for two days. That said it was the best shop I’ve ever rented from.

Accomodation:

Stayed the Thursday and Friday in the Collina Apartments http://www.collina.at/en/lage.htm. Nice modern relatively spacious apartments with a decent sauna. Was about 200m from the bottom piste and about 500m along a cross country skiing trail from the main lift. Cost us €126 per night for an apartment for two, €12 per perspn extra for breakfast. Breakfast good but a little over priced.

The Ischgl.com website is good for accommodation, either book online there or put in your details and people will email you back. Ischgl is a really small town so most places will be ski in or close to and similarly close to the lifts.

The Collina didn’t have availability for the Sat night so we went down town to the next resort – Kappl. Accom was cheap here but there was zero life in the village – it had much more accommodation than Ischgl but it was all self catering and there were only about three restaurants in the whole place and no bars to be seen. It has its own skiing area which is smaller than the broader Ischgl area but I’m sure is fine, we didn’t ski it in the end, just drove the 10 mins back up the road to Ischgl which accesses a larger ski area.

Anything about the resort I liked:

A lot of things:-

- No English speaking tourists!
    - Prob the most charming resort in terms of its size and (slightly twee) architecture. All compact and walkable on foot. Place was covered in snow when I was there and it all just looked like the perfect little alpine town.
    - Food out was also relatively cheap and very good
    - The ‘facilities’ on the mountain were very good – better than a posh hotel at home! Makes a change from the semi chemical toilets you see elsewhere
    - Almost all the lifts were high speed
    - Very large and accessible ski area
    - The off piste would have been similarly accessible had the snow been fresher

Bars / restaurants / apres Ski:

Place is supposed to be legendary for its après but IMO didn’t have anything to match the immediate intense on piste antics of the Moose over the valley. There is an area in the centre of town with a good few bars beside each other which were pretty rammed, but there was no en masse dancing on tables in ski boots nonsense. Didn’t go out late but apparently there are good nightclubs. Tbh I didn’t really look for the après so prob can’t be considered a good judge of it.

Ate very well one night in a gorgeous hotel which had a Tagesmenu of three courses for €20. The food was excellent and far better than a meal I had in Dublin when I came home for three times the price. Strangely though the wine was very expensive, even though it was Austrian, cheapest bottle €30. Maybe wine is expensive to produce in Austria.

Food on the pistes was good and reasonable, a lot cheaper than France.

Level:

Intermediate skier.

Conditions:

Pretty good. The town had been shut off for a few days a couple of days before I arrived because of too much snow. Alas, a combination of very high winds, rising freezing point and sun meant the pistes were semi hard already and the off piste was heavy and cruddy. Made me realise how difficult it is to get perfect conditions.

Ski area:

A good selection to meet all standards but perhaps with relatively little to offer beginners. A decent selection of blacks off the two highest lifts in Ischgl which provided a decent challenge. Went over to the Swiss side (Samnaun – included in main pass) and found the best pistes and conditions were there in the Alp Tida area. The long run down there (the duty free run) was also good craic.

Everywhere the high speed lifts made getting around quite easy. Pretty sure we skied about 80% of the 240km pistes in our three days there without getting up too early.

Off piste:

Off piste was unfortunately out of condition. There were a good few obvious lines with tracks off the Greispitze, and obvious fields to the sides and in between pistes off the Palinkopf. On the Swiss side, i.e., the side of the mountain leading down to Samnaun there was literally hectares of stuff but you’d want a guide to know which gully to go into and not. Over in the Alp Tida area itself there was perhaps the largest area of easily accessible off piste I have encountered. Tens of hectares of the stuff directly off lifts and in between pistes. Not dramatic terrain but in powder it would just be hit after hit of pleasure.

Any hidden gems / hints or tips:

Probably piste 7 which isn’t easily served and is a bit off the beaten track. It had the best snow and was a nice run in any event. Itinerary 4a beside it also had the best quality semi off piste snow.

You can rent your skis at the top of the mountain. It was very expensive but I’m not sure it was any cheaper down the town and the service was very good and the quality of the stuff also. Best fitting boots I’ve ever worn. Swapped easily and quickly to a pair of high end slalom skis (if you’ve never tried this I recommend, like borrowing a Porsche for a day!). There is also a ski locker system where you can leave them up there and get the lift down. The runs into the resort can get icy and thin at points, and packed at closing time. Beginners beware. The other solution to this, of course, is to stop for a Gluhwine at the top and wait for dusk to begin to set in before heading down.

Leave plenty of time to get to your flight on a Sunday if the snow is good as a lot of people will drive up for the day and there is only so much capacity on the roads / tunnels on the way down.

You might find a long lift queue in the morning on a Saturday but this may be because one of the car parks is full – at which point all the cars go to the other lift and all the skiers join that queue. If you can walk you can just go to one of the other lifts where there will be minimal queues.

Population there:

Thankfully (!) no Irish or English. Absolutely crawling with Russians but they weren’t ostentatious in any way. I presume the run of the mill bars selling champagne for €3000 per bottle were aiming at that market though.

Otherwise Germans and Austrians and, judging from reg plates, Poles and Romanians.

Would I go again:

Prob with the missus or with a family as it was a nice town to just sit in and drink wine in front of a fire in a Hotel. That and the acres of off piste mentioned above...

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

WHERE:

Mayrhofen, Zillertal Region, Austria

MAPS and WEBCAMS:

Piste Map
    Webcam

WHEN:

18th Feb – 22th Feb, 2010

LEVEL:

Happy to say again, an intermediate boarder. Got my Mojo back! (Didn't ski this time out, but intermediate)

CONDITIONS:

Arrived Wednesday evening, Overcast from mid afternoon until almost every evening for the entire time. Little trickles of snow here and there, but not cold enough so first day was a bit marble-y by the end of the day.

Second day, feckin mountain closed shop due to high winds(A regular occurence I have been informed) with non stop snow.

Third day, poor visibility. Unbelievable how much snow there was, and it never stopped. It was pow pow all you could eat! Sun came out at about 16:30 and the place looked magnificent. Had already had a couple of beers at the penken at that stage so never made a run from the top with the sun on my face :(.

Last day was a tiny bit overcast with the sun trying to break, and the snow had stopped so visibility was fairly good.

THE SLOPES:

On piste skiing was very good in the morning, piste well groomed. Little bit marble like in places towards the end of the day. Coldest I saw it was -5, but normally around 0 or -1, so was too warm for any run to hold up all day. The third and last day, due to the sheer amount of snow, meant soft moguls were developing quickly even from morning.

Off piste was EPIC. Aside from the first day, and second due to closure. Even just outside the markers, the powder was amazing and even in well tracked out areas, due to how much of it, it just stayed soft and fluffy all day. Glorius! Tons of potential for tree lined runs etc.

As for the lay of the land, plenty of twists and turns to keep an intermediate skier/boarder happy. I have to say it is all poorly marked, not easy to get your head around the place, particularly from the Kombibahn station, and can be confusing. It could just be me though. Not a lot of long wide blues either, which was a shame. I didn't get to check out the entire Mountain as only had 2.5days - 2 of which with lessons but what I saw I certainly enjoyed. Lots of chair lifts/gondolas, etc fast too and very few t-bars/button lifts which is nice. All very well interconnected. An awful lot of steep terrain which wouldn't be ideal for beginners or those looking for a nice leisurely ski. Especially steep at the end of runs to get back to the chair lifts and extremely steep when getting off the chair lifts, and with the usual 'This seems like a great place to stop and have a chat'. I'm surprised there wasn't a constant flow of beginners to the hospital.

Ahorn - Came here for a half day on the last day. Gondola takes 160 people, and takes 6 minutes to reach the top, which is ridiculously fast. Homerun is obviously the longest run available and a bit of a challenge as it can be quite steep and there was a lot of moguls, which can be tough on the legs if you are boarding, so the 6 minutes back up will actually feel like its come too quick! Its absolutely lethal in places too for boarders, as some sections are very narrow, flat and polished like an ice rink, with no barriers and a fairly big drop to the side. Theres nice powder runs in between the trees just off the piste outside the markers. Even at the short runs at the top. I didn't venture in too far myself as I wasn't with anyone. Everything else is all based around the top, pretty short runs and fairly tame, but wide which is a nice change to Mayrhofen itelf, which can be narrow in places. This makes the top, ideal for families and beginners.

NATIONALITIES:

Mostly German/Austrian, alot of Dutch and Russian too. There is a large community of ex-pat british living and working here, mostly as instructors, so I got the feeling everyone knows everyone. Most people spoke english, but a few words will always help how you are dealt with.

COST:

Flight - Dublin - Munich, 173, including ski carrage
    Train - Munich -Mayrhofen, 85 return
    Siegelerhof, for 4 nights, 200
    Ski pass - €120 for 3 days. 200 for 6
    Ski gear - €60 for carriage
    Private/Group Lessons - Highly recommend SMT
    Food - Reasonable enough. About 8-15 for a main, 20 and up for steak.
    Drink - Large bier 3.80-4.20

ACCOMMODATION:
    Siegelerhof

Hotel itself was basic and really close to the main street and the rail station, and the ski bus stopped right outside. Ski room was unlocked the entire time! Only guests were German or Austrian. They were smoking in the bar, that only opened from 7-10 in the evening, which meant the whole place was pretty grim and had a hum of stale smoke in the hallways. The room was a single but a decent size, separate toilet and separate shower (not together, which was weird), shared balcony and tv. Breakfast was a pretty poor selection, but enough to keep me ticking until lunch. Wi-fi was 2 euro for an hour or 3 for a half hour.

It was all I needed, and a great location, but I wouldn't stay here again!

GETTING THERE:

Flight was about 2.5hrs to Munich. Train to Ostbanhof 30m, from there to Jenbach 1hr20, then change to Mayrhofen about 50m. So about 3 hours transfer time, by train, which is a beautiful way to travel, as it has mountains on both sides and the views are stunning. (about 2hrs15-30 by car).

Wasn't in the slightest bit difficult to manage either. The efficiency of the trains are amazing. Train and platform is divided into sections and at the start of each platform, a diagram of what section is what carriage and basically where you should be standing.

TIPS:
    Book a seat if you buy your train ticket online(its free). Save you the trouble of dragging your gear up and down.

Get to the lifts before 8.30 or after 10. Otherwise you'll be waiting a while.

Don't go here expecting to buy gear or clothing. Prices are ridiculous!

Manni's on the main street has free Wi-Fi. Very few places do.

If you are looking for something different to Brukl Stradl (translates as sweat barn) or whatever its called, the Elisabeth hotel do a Poker tournament every Monday night at 8 (20 + 4, and 2 re-buys), and a good few of the instructors go here to let off some steam. Normally finishes about 1 in the morning. Cash games every other night from about 11/12 (until 6/7).

RESTAURANTS / BARS:
    Ciao Restaurant just off the main street have a pocket friendly pricelist compared to most other places I checked out. They have daily specials and the food was absolutely excellent.

Manni's on the main street have free wi-fi as I said, and the pizza's are nice, not the cheapest but not the worst either. Try the Tiroler Grostel too, very tasty!

Avoid the traditional looking place on the corner, half way up the main street(can't remember the name, something stohl or strohl). I thought the food was a bit tasteless but the bill was ridiculous. Charged 5 for a side salad which I thought came with the meal.

Ate in Mamma Mia's too and the pizza wasn't great either.

WOULD I GO AGAIN:

I probably would. I would like to come back when my freestyle skills have improved, and check out the park.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure my missus would have a great time here, although the town is nice enough. There wasn't enough diversity of slopes. They all seemed to be pretty steep bar one or two. So not really for the leisurely or beginner skier/snowboarder. Ahorn would be ideal for this, but could get boring after a day or 2. The zillertal train serves the whole region though, so this could always be an option if you are an early riser and have your own gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Morzine/Portes du Soleil

22nd Jan – 29th Jan 2012 with Highlife

Ski (met up with friends who were boarding)

We don’t do off piste (which seems to be a big thing in Morzine) Conditions on piste were varied. They don’t seem to groom other than at night. And some blacks don’t get groomed at all. Our last day we were up early and there was at least 20-30cm of fresh powder on the slopes. Was the closest we’d get to off piste I’d say!

The lifts around the Morzine area were old and seemed to be constantly breaking down. You’d get to the bottom of a slope, only to find the lift had just been closed. No heated seats, no bubbles, no snow removal from chairs. Your arse was constantly soggy from sitting on snow. The lifts were always stopping as people were falling off/on them – as they weren’t on separate gears so you couldn’t embark/disembark gracefully. Somehow 4 of us & one other group were queued for the for the same chair lift! So we came up behind them after being scooped onto the chair and pushed them off the end! One lift bar actually broke while we were sitting on the seat. If there was a child on it, they could have easily slid off. The Pleney bubble seemed to be held together with plastic ties and snow came in all the holes.
    But I do have to say that they were attended very effectively, they had to be as you were catapulted on and off constantly! Since the lifts were so slow, there were queues for most of them. And this was one of the quietest weeks of the year. One of our hosts said that school holidays are unbelievably busy.

‘Schoosh’ city. LOTS of poling/walking. If you’re a boarder, I’d forget about it! My thumbs are killing me from constantly poling around from lift to lift. A lot of flat slopes which you needed to negotiate to get around – which were ok when groomed, but slow and a pain when snowy.

Intermediate – got great practice on the wide long runs. So I was really happy with my technique. All the gang were saying it looked good, so I’m happy!

Food is expensive. You’d probably find the cheapo sambo somewhere if you were willing to sit out. Lunch ended up being quite expensive. But drink wasn’t as pricey as I thought it was going to be. Happy hours were everywhere and you’d get a vin chaud for 3.50 ish more or less anywhere. Food was grand, you could get the usual pizza/chips scenario and there was a lot of local grub on offer. So if you’re into cheese (yes please) the tartiflette was pretty fantastic! But realistically too much to eat before an afternoon on the slopes. To note – not many places to picnic if that’s your thing. In compared to Austria which seem to have a separate room in every hut for picnicers.

Apres was non-existent. There was one place at the bottom of Pleney that had a DJ on a Weds, which filled the place. Nothing to write home about, not a fraction of the craic in Austria. All the bars just seemed to have people sitting down having a quiet drink. Some places had live music (the usual guy with a guitar strumming out Coldplay) Night time was pretty tame too. Luckily we were in a Chalet so we had plenty of drink so we stayed in and had our own fun.

IF I was to go back (which we probably wouldn’t) I would say stay in Les Gets. The skiing & lifts are better there and more accessible. And Mont Chery has some fabulous wide steep reds which are nice and quiet. I’d get just the Morzine & Les Gets pass for the week and pay the extra for the day if you felt like a trip over. It’s a bit of a schlep to get to Avoriaz. So you’d be more likely to stick around the Morzine/Les Gets area if just for the convenience.

A Christmas ‘Chez Babeths’ themed restaurant near La Chatel – it’s just slightly crazy festive grotto. And the woman herself runs the show. Food is alright – but the experience alone is worth it!

Brits, Brits and more Brits. And then after school – hoards of French school kids hurtling around out of control.

Since ski school is only in the morning, after lunch on most slopes is amateur hour. You’re constantly trying to avoid beginners who are out of their depth. The runs down to the village can be a nightmare later on. Just too busy – and the ski schools seem to take up the WHOLE width of the piste. So overtaking is tricky. We commented on the amount of people we saw being stretchered off the mountain, you’d hardly go an hour or two without someone being lifted off. Helmet wearing is the lowest I’ve seen. None of the ski instructors wear them. I’d say 30% max?

The town of Morzine is pretty – it would be nice if you were looking for a quiet time skiing. The transfer is also a plus, it's just about 1.15h from Geneva.

If you’re going here, my advice is, get up early on the first lift after a huge brekkie. Ski until 2.30, and then get a tarfilette and some wine and then take one last run back to the village… slowly!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Livigno, 21-28th January 2012

Ski

First few days very windy at the top of the mountain (both sides of the valley), pistes well groomed, 2 days of powder, good off piste conditions. Bit bare at the top by end of the week could do with snow to freshen them up.

Intermediate

Kicking, great crowd there that week, good apres ski. Food great, Livigno still cheap for food/beer but can see prices have risen in the last few years. But still the cheapest resort I've ever gone too.

Allegra bar at the bottom of the Carresello lift, great apres ski fun to be had. Nice runs on both sides of the Valley to vary the skiing a little.

Free snow go karts and track between 3-5pm at lift 20 great craic

50% south african, 20% Irish, rest was a mix of english and eastern europeans

Download Ski Tracks App, great to see what you did and the speeds. Yeah would go again in a heart beat, good snow, sunshine, great food and cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

St.Johann in Tirol, Austria. 21-28th January 2012

Board

Good few days of powder from snow overnight. Well groomed pistes, didn't go off piste but plenty of powder around.

Beginner - Intermediate

Good apres ski at Max's from around 5pm-9pm, get inside the bar early to get a table and you will not be disappointed! Bit dead around the town outside of these hours but always a good atmosphere in the bar of Hotel Fischer for those looking to party into the wee hours or a late drink

Check out the brewery, but be warned - staff can be rude! The Egger beer is fantastic. If you are staying in St.Johann I'd definitely recommend a day or two in Steinplatte, much nicer views, not much of a crowd, good food and the slopes are as wide as a motorway (great for boarding). Steinplatte is covered with the Schneewinkle lift pass, if I had the time I would've went to Kitzbuhel hopefully next time!

Not much apart from the brewery, also check out the free video run on the main blue slope just before the yellow umbrella bar.

Good mix of Irish, Dutch and South Africans. Very few Brits.

Would go again, 1 hour transfer from Salzberg airport. Most hotels in the resort are walking distance of the slopes. We stayed in Hotel Burckenwirt, it was just ok - there's an auld wagon running the place who would cut through ya for a shortcut, no way to control the heating in our room, boiling hot even with all the windows open, food was mediocre - breakfast was good. Nice waitresses inside which looked after us very well and thankfully the food improved as the week went on.

For anyone thinking of going the Hotel Fischer is your best option for good food, atmosphere, craic and friendliness although not suitable for families due to noise levels from the bar!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Bad Hofgastein, Austria. There are a number of local ski areas Bad Hofgastein, Bad Gastein, Graukogel, Dorfgastein and Sportgastein.

Ski

Snowed 5 or 6 days out of the 7 I would say. First few days the visibility was very poor. Off piste conditions were amazing, tonnes and tonnes of deep powder, lots of options.

4. Are you beginner/Intermediate/advanced.
    Intermediate

Bad Hofgastein is very quiet and mainly had older people and families staying there. Bad Gastein seemed to be a busier spot with a younger crowd. Restaurants were very reasonable and good selection available. On piste they were a little more expensive but still had cheaper options.

There is a lot there and a lot to do mainly for families though. Both Bad Hofgastein and Bad Gastein have natural hot springs swimming pools. We went swimming one of the days and had good craic on the water slides. We went ice skating one of the evenings as well.

Saunas are strictly naked only so be aware of that if your not willing to strip off.

Bad Gastein has more lively options like a casino and busy apres ski bars.

The Graukogel ski area is quite small and a lot of people dont bother with it but turned out to be a gem. Big wide steep reds, really steep blacks, shed loads of off piste though the trees. Sportgastein is the same but more popular. There is a 15km long red piste that goes all the way to the ground which is the supposedly longest in the eastern alps.

Handful of Irish, some English mainly Austrian, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish and Eastern European.

There is a lot of buses required and the timetables can be a bit confusing and they stop pretty quickly after the last lift, so if you go for a couple of drinks you can get caught out and have to taxi it. In Bad Gastein it wasn't 100% obvious where you get the bus from but we figured it out in the end. Taxi between towns is about 30 quid for a minibus.

Pistes were quite moguly by the end of the day as the fresh snow was swept into piles. I felt they didn't groom pistes as well as they did when I was in France last year.

If you have a car there are ski areas within easy drive that are covered on your lift pass.

Ski school was 10am to 3pm and with kids you can pay extra and they give them lunch. For parents that's great as your free to ski for the bulk of the day and pick the kids up at 3. That still gives an hour or so to ski with the kids and see what they learned that day.

There is a Gastein Card with discounts for having it. Read what they are carefully before hand as we missed out on a few savings along the way.

Some pubs allow smoking some don't.

Will def go back its a lovely area with lots to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Chamonix Jan 25th -Feb 4th 2011

Ski / Ski Touring

Knee Deep snow at worst off piste waist deep at best. On piste a mix of good conditions to Icy and hard on the colder days

Qualified Instructor :)

Did no Apres really but some great places to eat, Le Cave a hidden door next to the chinese on the main street is a well hidden and great place to eat for Pizza. MBC behind the sports center is a micro brewery with great Burgers and Nachos and a really super atmosphere.

Its Chamonix with the best extreme terrain in Europe and some incredible skier to watch

The ski down the back of Le Tour into Trient in Switzerland is incredible but be warned it is avalanche prone even on low risk days and you need to get the bus back 7.50 a head.

I would book a few days with Robbie Fenlon at Wilder places to be shown around the place.

The whole world, Americans, Scandinavians, French Brits, basically the whole world.

We got Chamonix at its very best with amazing snow the world cup downhill race in town and an incredible guide. Snow was the best I have ever seen in Europe, light fluffy and everywhere. You could ski from the top of Brevant right down to Cham village.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

La Plagne/ Les Arcs Feb 4th-11th

Snowboard

Off piste was decidedly choppy and custy, with a tendancy towards small slides but luckily no avalanches. There's a firm base in, this year. Everything was tracked out to bits.
    On piste, a mixed bag. High winds and low temps made things icy at times. Lazy grooming made things lumpy.
    Overall good snow thanks to the altitude and variety of faces. Would definitely return.

Advanced, generally freestyle but freeride when conditions are good too

In belle plagne, the bars were so-so. One good one in town in particular, by the spar. Avoid "le saloon" at all costs.
    In Plagne Centre, croque neige was good value for money.
    In Bellecote, we saw nothing of value.
    Similar with arcs 2000 and 1800, poor value and choice.

The glaciers. The off-piste. The ski-schools.

Nothing hidden, but the glaciers of bellecote and de la chiupe, and the aguille rouge are well known and offer high quality skiing.
    Oxygene ski school gets a mention. Some of our group went with them, and I have to say the rest of our group were impressed by their teaching methods and professionalism overall.

French, dutch, british

It's an ugly complex of many resorts, belle plagne certainly seemed to be the best of the lot.
    The transfer was awkward from geneva, with bus-to-taxi transfers.
    The piste grooming wasn't great (though the parks were well shaped, in fairness)
    I would definitely go again. This place rivals the portes du soleil, for me. Great variety and good value for money.
    On the money front, it was expensive in places, but definitely possible to cut costs.

Fattes wrote: »
    You could ski from the top of Brevant right down to Cham village.

Been there four times and this has never even been close to possible, lucky you. Chamonix with ability, a guide, fresh snow, lots of money and ambituous mates = about as good as skiing gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Arinsal, Andorra

Board. Girlfriend was first time skiier

On piste was ok. Morning was hard and frozen and afternoon was soft and slushy due to the heat! There was about 1-2 hours in the morning where conditions were nice. There was only fresh snow on the last day which really helped as there were a number of bare patches on some runs. No off piste done.

4. Are you beginner/Intermediate/advanced.
    I'm now just about an intermediate.

Arinsal is pretty small. Several bars but not a huge selection of resturants. We were usually getting dinner in the hotel which was not great (Hotel Patagonia).

The Derby Irish bar for the atmosphere and live music every night.

No.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland.
    Mix of mostly British and then followed by Irish.

I did enjoy myself but I would not go there again. Not enough different runs to keep me entertained. Essentially there is only 3 blue runs and as i was a beginner at the start of the week i got bored by the end. Also the transfer is the best part of 4 hours which was a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

Anybody been to Chamonix in the last week or so? Just looking for info on the snow really.

I am going for St Patrick's weekend, can't wait. I've been there before, so I know some good spots like Chambre Neuf, La Cantina, etc. Also, Poco Loco has some fantastic burgers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

WHERE:

Ellmau, Skiwelt Region, Austria

MAPS and WEBCAMS:

All accessible from link above

WHEN:

17th Mar – 24th Mar, 2012

LEVEL:

An intermediate-advanced boarder (Can tackle anything, but have been focusing mostly on freestyle last couple of trips and its improving but very slowly! I rock the piste and snort powder like charlie sheen! (Didn't ski this time out, but intermediate)

CONDITIONS:

First day, we were both too tired to go out after the early flight so we just checked out the village which is nice enough.

Second day, conditions were grand, choppy and sloppy in the evening though.

Third day, poor visibility. Nice little dump of the fresh stuff, which was needed. Visibility was pants but conditions off piste got better and better.

Sun was beaming down the rest of the week and by the end the slopes were patchy.

THE SLOPES:

On piste skiing in most places was very good in the morning, piste seemed well groomed. By evening almost everywhere was mogul city. Conditions heading towards scheffau were always worse especially when it was snowing.

In Ellmau and in fact the entire Skiwelt region, almost every run has a form of steep bottle neck somehwere which means just before it and in the bottle necks its absolutely terrible within a couple of hours. This wasnt entirely down to the fact it was quite warm, but just people slowing up and side slipping to get through it.

And although the entire region is well connected, its a bit of a mess getting from one place to the next. It can take 2hrs from ellmau to westendorf, and 3 hrs back.

Off piste was great after the little dump, and held up for a couple of days. Not perfect, but enough to keep me giddy. Very few tracks due to the lateness of the season also.

The area is quite big but maybe not for beginners due to the bottle necks, lack of wide blues and the sheer confusion. Its hard work from midday onwards with the moguls but the views are stunning regardless of what part you are in.

NATIONALITIES:

Mostly German/Austrian, alot of Dutch. Some English. Ellmau is quiet (very quiet) so I think soll is tailerd for the english/irish revellers.

COST:

Went with Crystal. 450 HB in 3 star.

ACCOMMODATION:
    Schonblick

Hotel itself was basic, ran by an 85 year old Austrian woman (not even kidding and she looked about 60), and a 30 year old slovakian girl. Between the 2 of them they run a tidy ship, and I would highly recommend this hotel! Food was basic Austrian fare with some italian miced in but was fantastic. And for a 3 star this was without a doubt the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. The views were breathtaking too.

You could ski to just outside the hotel by taking the lift opposite side of the car park from the hartkaiser. But there was also a small connector ski bus that was free which would drop you right at the door if you didnt fancy that.

GETTING THERE:

Usual early flight and transfers with Crystal. The taxi sent to get us from the main coach to the hotel, didnt have the space for my boardbag, so it was stuffed in with someone 'small' sitting underneath. What I have come to expect from Crystal.

TIPS:
    Avoid snowboard or skiing lessons with Crystal recommended school. Shocking! AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

I was looking for 3 days freestyle with a school. Paid on the Saturday, and when I arrived I was told because I was the only one in the class that I would either have a 2 hour private lesson, or my money back.

My fiance was already booked in with a class for 3 days, and as it was 10 on a Sunday, all other schools on the mountain had started their classes, so I had no choice but to haggle for about 30 minutes, while the crystal rep (who I paid for the pleasure) stood there saying nothing. Eventually she agreed to 2 days, 2 hours each day, of private lessons.

First day it was apparant the instructor was clueless at instructing freestyle. He wasn't wearing a helmet, which I have never seen with an instructor recently, and I felt that it was more likely he was just called in to cover for someone. He finished early and said we would make up the time the following day.

The second day, he was over an hour late! I waited for 1hr 15 minutes at the top of the hart kaiser, and when he got there he told me that he could only give me 1 hr of a lesson. So I told him to do the lesson the following day instead.

He was only 20 minutes late so not too bad. He always went ahead and never said much, even when I was drilling him about my technique. I felt I learned more on the last 3 days by myself. I didn't bother complaining because I didn't want it to take over the week.

Berkaiser at the top of the hartkaiser, and Memory bar on the main street has free Wi-Fi.

The bottom of the hartkaiser lift there is a cafe. The Girl who runs it has a Bf who does all the paragliding off the top. I think its 115/125 with a dvd.

The run from the top of the brandstadl to scheffau is steep (marked as black in places but it feels mostly red) but holds up really well, even in the heat and late in the day (for the most part). And is worth checking out if you want a nice steep long fast run.

RESTAURANTS / BARS:
    Pizza and Pasta in the memory bar are nice. 7-9 or there abouts, and as mentioned, the free wifi.

Food in the bergkaiser is also very good but probably the most expensive in Austria!

2 main bars are the Mexican (which is also a restaurant) and Pub 66. I gave up the cigs 2 years ago so I tried to avoid these as they were fairly smokey!

WOULD I GO AGAIN:

I probably would. It has snow so I could never turn it down. But there are better places out there, for beginners, intermediates and advanced for that matter.

But if I have a choice, and only have 1 week, Zell am See is probably where I'm heading back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Co Kildare abu

My last sking trip was to Andorra. It was fine and we got what we paid for. The sking was good, the organisational stuff before and after sking good and the restaurant and night scene quiet if not very quiet. Andorra is fine if you wish to ski for the entire seven days but if you wish to have someone accompany who perhaps is not a seven day skier then perhaps another location might be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Gunog

Heading to Whistler BC for new years, skiied alot in Europe. Anyone been? I hear its expensive? Always cloudy? Any advice anyways related gladly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

St Anton, 19-26th Jan 2013

Ski

Conditions generally good on most pistes. Can get busy on the easier blues and a bit mogul-ey later on in the day.

Intermediate, happy on reds, would be a bit nervous on blacks.

Bars and après generally great fun, the usual Mooserwirt and Krazy Kangaruh were good craic earlier in the week, but got uncomfortably rammed as the days passed. I think in some ways St Anton is a victim of its own success on the après front. Loads of people just sitting around ‘waiting’ for the après madness to start, but not really getting involved. On the whole, it’s very expensive.

All of the runs up the Rendl side of the mountain are great. Prob best to start your holiday on this side. We went to Lech twice, which was definitely worth a visit!

Lech, really worth a trip. Lots of lovely blues and some nice places to eat. There’s an ice bar (marked on the map) and a few gimmicky BMW speed trials/photo thingies around the place too which are worth having a look at. A taxi for up to 8 is €50 each way, or you can catch the bus.
    The Rodel Alm in St Anton was great for lunch, it’s off black 25 (not marked on the map), so you’d need to be able to ski down from it. Not too expensive and the burgers are amazing. They also do an evening service, where you get on the back of a piste basher to get up and you toboggan down, which was good fun. Basecamp at the bottom of the piste between the Galzig & Gampen lifts has amazing freshly made pasta & great burgers (and the après is a bit of craic here too). Hospiz Alm in St Christoph is lovely too – there’s a slide to the toilet! If you want to sit anywhere inside any of these huts for lunch during the day, you need to book in advance. We also ate a nice lunch in the Maiensee Hotel in St Christoph. Worth a visit, esp if the Hospiz Alm is jammers.

A wide mix of Irish/Brits & mainland Europeans

I dunno what is the story is with the classification of the runs. Some of the blues can be very tricky, esp if you’re not expecting it. Some were not just tricky, but unpleasant. So if you were a beginner or a novice, I’d be very wary of heading down any blues without help. Some great reds, and the blacks are very do-able. I think you’d get bored with the mountain behind St Anton pretty quickly. Rendl has some lovely runs (R11, R4 & R1), but not that much going on. A day here and you’d be done. You kind of need to travel around to get the most of the resort. Not as many mountain huts as other resorts, more of the cafeteria type scenarios. Runs back to the village get very busy later on, crowded with beginners and people going way too fast. Can get a bit hairy in the trackier parts of the pistes.

Would I go back? Probably not, I wasn’t a major fan of the skiing and it was very expensive. I’m not sure if it’s worth the money considering the quality of the other resorts nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

Peace wrote: »
    Arinsal, Andorra

I did enjoy myself but I would not go there again. Not enough different runs to keep me entertained. Essentially there is only 3 blue runs and as i was a beginner at the start of the week i got bored by the end. Also the transfer is the best part of 4 hours which was a PITA.

If you take the 4 man to the top of the arinsal resort you can take a 5 minute gondola ride across to Pal, lots of runs over there. There is a bus each morning (if you haven't rented a car) over to arcalis from arinsal, takes about 35 mins and arcalis rocks. Loads of off piste, lots of long winding runs and mainly locals and spanish tourists there.

If you go to arinsal and you dont make it to arcalis you've wasted your holiday IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TitanIreland

Hi There,

Here is the breakdown of a recent trip to Garmisch in Bavaria.

In a nut shell – 5 Day Trip 3 day skiing in the Bavarian Alps German or Sierra Nevada Spain for 550 this includes (flights, travel, accommodation, ski pass, ski rental, insurance) Beat that ?!!!

Garmisch Partenkirchen – Bavarian Alps (Tourist site http://www.gapa.de/) Ski Site http://www.zugspitze.de/en/aktuell/wetter/panoramakameras.htm - - Hosted Winter Olympics (193?) - - Germans premier alpine resort - -

I went skiing on Wed the 9th of Jan. It was a 5 day trip with 3 days on the mountain. Overall it was cost effective (for a ski trip). The prices I display below don’t include your own food and drink but we found everything cheaper or much cheaper than Dublin. EX large bottle of beer 3.50, huge main courses in the town 15 euro. The town and slopes were pretty quiet over all, it was much busier on the Saturday (people arriving from Munich) but even then queuing time was nothing compared to what you would expect from the rest of the Alps, plenty of slopes to have to your own away from the crowds but the crowds were never a bother. Returned to Dublin on the Sunday - 5 day trip 3 day ski.

Ok so here is the break down –

We flew Dublin to Munich for 151 Euro (incl checked bag) flying out Wed 7am (I would advise the early flight) plane was half empty - www.Aerlingus.ie

We got the train from the Airport to the Ski town and traveled on a Bavaria Rail ticket (travel all day on local ,subway & regional trains for up to 5 people for 40 Euro ish ) http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket . There was one change of trains in Munich Main station (v Easy) Trains to the ski town every hour. Travel time in total about 2hr 20+ – plenty of space on the trains – very efficient – Buy at train station v easy machines in English.

We stayed in a hotel for 50 Euro Per person per night Bed & Breakfast.

Flights Munich (Aerlingus) including 1 Bag (30 Euro)
    Rail transport return
    Accommodation (Hotel B&B)
    50 * 4 including Tax
    Ski pass 3 days
    Ski Rental 3 day rental
    Insurance
    Total

Food and drink not included

Ski school
    ski locker

Review of the resort

Pros
    I really likes the place plenty of skiing terrain – too much for 3 days so you won’t get bored – Germans quite nice and helpful unlike the French. Plenty of variety of slopes. Integrated lift and ticketing system. Slopes for all levels. Some spectacular views. A general all round place. The town is very traditional Bavarian style – helps with atmosphere. The resort is popular with Americans (Americans have a army base nearby) and Russians, of course Germans. Ease of access and cost effectiveness very good – trains little trouble

Cons
    Didn’t find an Apres ski atmosphere or crowds out after. Went to a good few places, Peaches Bar been one of the most popular but still this was very quiet even on the Saturday night. It could have been the week we were there as it was just after New Year’s and still not into the High season. The town is near to the lift stations but some bit of effort is needed to getting there but once you figure this out it’s not really an issue. But if you’re going for the skiing or with a bigger group then you will be having the craic with them

The town and the resort is at lower altitude than some other places in the alps. The town is at 700m and the lowest slope is at 1300, going up to 2000m and almost 3000m (Glacier). If you are very unlucky with mild weather then head up to the glacier where its guaranteed cold and snow and possible no crowds. But weather is all luck based regardless in any ski resort. This did not affect us – fresh snow on two out 3 days, underlying ice was only a minor problem.

Would I go back? YES – Place has everything going for it - Ease of access, flights, train, cost effective (for skiing)

Alternate Trips

SIERRA NEVADA – Granada – Spain Snow to Surf trip sun on the beach

Have not been there but looking at this place as another cost effective ski trip –

In a nut shell

Sierra Nevada mountain range north Malaga http://sierranevada.es/estacion.aspx

Fly Dublin to Malaga Aerlingus & Ryanair 220 Euro
    Car Rental
    Drive to Granada (2 hrs motorway) check into hotel (very large city UNESCO world heritage site and plenty of tapas bars, bars atmosphear)
    Following day – drive to mountain (40mins) – drive down that evening
    Repeat day 2
    Day 3 – Check out of hotel – drive to mountain – ski – return ski rentals – Drive to Malaga check in hotel – Party Malaga
    Day 4 – BEACH DAY Fly out Evening / night or Fly out following day
    I am seriously looking at this one in Spain now. EST total cost 594 Plus food drink and other expenses – see spread sheet

Pros
    Very high mountain relatively snow sure and altitude keeps it cold up there, Car rental gives freedom, Can do Ski to Surf and sea, Granada is big city plenty of cheap eats. Spanish economic collapse might be cheaper when there. Huge ski terrain, large availability of accommodation.

Cons
    Car rental driving on Spanish roads (confidence) insurance etc – Can go long times without fresh snow fall and then get a massive snow fall, can suffer from high winds. Communing to the mountain

NOTE – By far the biggest variance to cost is FLIGHTS – changes in flights prices can had 100+ to the cost of a trip – where as a lot of the other costs are sunk costs (ski pass/rental) there might be some savings on accommodation but then you might get what you pay for.

Currently Crystal ski have sale on Flights Accommodation Transfers Andorra 350 Euro

Catalan Pyrenees – Fly to Barcelona – La Molina or MasellaGet train or rent car – Plenty of options
    French Pyrenees – Fly Toulouse
    Andorra – Drive from Barcelona or other airports
    Madrid – several ski resorts around Madrid – rent car
    Fly Milan and hit Italian alps or Dolomites
    Rome – Ovindoli – Roccaraso

Maps https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Barcelona,+Spain&daddr=Baqueira+Beret+SA,+Spain+to:Formigal,+Spain&hl=en&ll=42.07784,0.928345&spn=1.636967,4.216003&sll=42.040045,1.579685&sspn=1.637966,4.216003&geocode=FWh8dwId3CkhACnlMI5xFpikEjEKZkdPPfuwRA%3BFdyKiwId0EEOACHWKmtspjNnPin7ye4H0qKoEjHWKmtspjNnPg%3BFWKujAIdj276_yG4AAD2TJiWaCmvzTsOmkpYDTG4AAD2TJiWaA&oq=formigal&t=h&mra=ls&z=9

Titan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Cervinia Italy
    Feb 2nd - 9th 2013

Ski

Ski conditions were amazing. Lots and lots of snow and the pistes are very well groomed and kept. Looked like lots of off piste too but I didn't venture into that much

Intermediate, but resort is brilliant for beginners and timid intermediates. Lots of long easy wide blues and reds. Some of the blacks would be considered red in Austria.

Bars and apres was very quiet. The Dragon bar was recommended but was very very quiet. We drank in the Yeti bar most nights as it had jugs of beer for a tenner during happy hour and had free wifi. Beers in the town are 5-6 Euros for a large one. Wine was slightly cheaper. Large glass of red wine for 3.50e-5e

The runs are great for confidence building and I found the ski instruction with Breuil ski school very good. Chalet Etoile is the best mountain restaurant off blue run 4. Really good home made pasta and desserts. Mountain restaurants are very reasonably priced in general. 5-6e for huge panini with lovely Italian meats and cheeses. Hot wine on the mountain is 3.50-5e. Loved blue home run 5 and new black run 62 is fantastic.

- Didn't venture to Zermatt or Valtournenche this time.

Brits and Europeans. Think we might have been the only Irish there that week

I probably would go again because of the runs. It was very very cold and Cervinia has no tree shelter and suffers from high winds. The whole resort was shut for 1 day while we were there. Another day only a very small blue run and lift was open for the day. Nearby Valtournenche resort is lower down the valley and was open when Cervinia wasn't so you could use the free bus to get there although when Cervinia was closed Valtournenche pistes were packed. Ski pass for Cervinia covers Valtournenche too. There are links to Zermatt from Cervinia but unfortunately we never made it as the links were closed most days. Skiing in Zermatt would require an add on to the Cervinia ski pass. The locals said this year was unusual with the weather. Although they do suffer from high winds the odd time, they said this year there were more windy days than normal.

Other info about transfers and accom
    Flights Aer Lingus to Milan Linate 170e, taxi Milan Linate to Lampugnano bus station 38e (didn't have enough time to public transport it but that option is available (bus + metro)). Transfer Savda.it bus 31.60e return Milan Lampugnano to Cervinia. Apartment with Castelli family in their Rosalp apartments (http://www.castelli.biz/) 480e for 7 nights (2 people). Don't let the basic website put you off. We got the e-mail address from the cervinia.it website and the service was great at the apartments. Very friendly family run place. Our apartment had cooker/oven, iron, hairdryer and safe. Basic but did the trick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Morzine, Portes Du Soleil, 3rd-10th Feb 2013

Ski

Brilliant on and off piste.

Intermediate

The bar at the bottom of Ardent lift was great craic after the skiing. But it finishes early due to the last skibus @ 5:45. For eating lunch I found Plaine Danse the cheapest place to get grub on the slopes... but he best advice is to bring the packed lunch.

Its relatively cheap.

Well its a huge area with lots to explore.

Mainly british - alot of French naturally.

Its pretty low resort, so it can be hit and miss on snow. The last time I was there in 2011 it was very poor, all ice. This time it was snowing a lot every day so it was a different place. Definitely one of the best trips I've been on conditions wise. Hard to beat Austria for the night life.

Advertisement