Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020: Round 5 - 70th Anniversary (Silverstone II)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Faugheen wrote: »
    That Racing Point decision needs to be spoken about more. Why did they put Hulk? It makes absolutely zero sense.

Absolute disgrace.

It was a daft choice, take your lead driver (on track) off the best race tyre that is okay to get to the end and forfeit track position in the process.

Edit: the team are now saying Hulk reported a significant vibration and likely would not have made the end without the extra stop. Hopefully some team radio exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

He was talking to his team about his own tyre performance.

He said over team radio that they must be running lower pressures...first thing he asked max after the race was about his tyre management. He automatically thinks they cheated and he wants them to look into that. As usual he’s the worst loser.
    Well done max

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Bad day at the office for Danny Ric. Started 5th and finished 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Now I hate Lewis even more, if that was possible. Twat.

SKY mentioned Lewis comments about pressure.
    Made a point that lots of other teams didn't have any tyre issues like the Mercs, those teams just happen to not be in front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Great race by Max, and great strategy by Red Bull.

Albon had a good race too.
    Eh?? Thirty six seconds adrift. He needs to be closer than that. Makes mistakes early on which nullifies his undoubted speed and overtaking ability. I would retain him for next season, nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What's with the ridiculous hats?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Delighted with that. Was great to see Lewis under pressure for once.

PsychoPete wrote: »
    What's with the ridiculous hats?
    Cause 1950

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Lewis asking Max about his tyres, bet he will have a little pressure test on them while max is being interviewed :pac:

There is only one man i'd have inspecting tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a good race. Glad I watched this after the borefest that was Formula e today Max done brilliant and the team too. Albon done good as well. Disapointed for the Hulk just has no good luck. He should come live in Ireland for a while and maybe he will get some Irish luck.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was out yesterday so had to watch the recording last night, glad I hadn't seen the result.

Great job from Max and RB, I like how they can be so decisive with adapting their strategy, it has won them so many races.

Vettel has checked out. I don't see him getting a drive next year tbh.

Hulk afterwards said he had a vibration that made the car undriveable, shame really because had he beaten his team-mate after just strolling in last week it would have been even more embarrassing for Stroll - I missed most of the weekend but didn't he beat Stroll in Quali and FP? I could be wrong

I was out yesterday so had to watch the recording last night, glad I hadn't seen the result.

Great job from Max and RB, I like how they can be so decisive with adapting their strategy, it has won them so many races.

Vettel has checked out. I don't see him getting a drive next year tbh.

Hulk afterwards said he had a vibration that made the car undriveable, shame really because had he beaten his team-mate after just strolling in last week it would have been even more embarrassing for Stroll - I missed most of the weekend but didn't he beat Stroll in Quali and FP? I could be wrong

Qualified P3 in the Pink Panther

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Qualified P3 in the Pink Panther

Duh yes of course gob****e (me that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Tyre choices are determined at the start of the year, given we only had 8 races this is what was decided for those initial 8! Spa and Monza have the same selection as Silverstone II which could lend itself to a good performance from Red Bull given they are both very high speed tracks, might make it interesting:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

There might a small small glimmer of hope for Max in the driver title fight so

But there’s no way Merc doesnt bring home the constructors, Albon wont bring home near enough.

If Max was to make it a title fight and come the end of the year Albon still hasnt caught up to be an asset at the front, maybe costing him the title when Red Bull have a chance of Max being youngest ever, we’d see Albon out in the cold then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Got to see this race late. A lot happened in that . I did enjoy it .

Great from Redbull , I mean they owned that at the front . Max had a great drive . Albon made some a mount of overtakes its is a pity he is so far behind in Qual cause he does appear to have it in the race. If he can sort that and Redbull can keep finding ways to undermine Mercedes we will have a great season.

Some other things down the list Lecrlerc really is driving great stuff , the Ferrai is awful car , I didnt see any or notice Leclerc incar footage but what I saw of Vettel and compared other drivers there is a lot correcting the car on the exit of bends looks like a hand full to drive.

I feel like Renault left something behind them today , Riccardo made a costly mistake and Kinda the Same with Mclaren , the Delay for Sainz in the pits . Both those teams should really have been in a battle for double points finish .

Hulk drove a good Race and the Double points finish for Racing points keeps them in the mix for with Mclaren and Ferrari for the 3rd in the constructors.
    Stroll didnt put a foot wrong either . It does show that Hulk probably should still have a seat , and I do think he will be at Haas next year.

Alpha Tauri only one point But Really good drive from Kvyat for that some over takes not shown live but good recovery for him after a mistake in qually . Gasly I feel was screwed a bit with the early pit stop to see of Albon but that battle wrecked his tires and points chance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Best moment of the race was Max breezing past Bottas within two corners of coming out of the pits on cold tyres.

• Advertisement

Races like that make me wish that Pirelli were bit more adventurous with their allocations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Bring back the plastic tyres I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Gintonious wrote: »
    Races like that make me wish that Pirelli were bit more adventurous with their allocations.

It would be nice if they said they were going to give tyres with the folowing life info:

Soft: 10-15% of race distance
    Medium 15-25% race distance
    Hard: 20-35% race distance.

So any combination of the tyres should result in a two stopper minimum. I wouldn't even think they need to use all three compounds.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Get rid of the rule of having to use two compounds would also make it less predictable.

Tyre saving needs to go though. Winning a race because of tyre degradation is not good for the sport.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Get rid of the rule of having to use two compounds would also make it less predictable.

Tyre saving needs to go though. Winning a race because of tyre degradation is not good for the sport.

You'd have everyone Putting on Hards running to the end from the second lap :pac:

They should have a wider performance gap per tire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Gintonious wrote: »
    They should have a wider performance gap per tire.

They tried this and people complaining about unpredictable conditions.
    I am with the suggestion to allow to use whatever compound you want to use.

Harika wrote: »
    They tried this and people complaining about unpredictable conditions.
    I am with the suggestion to allow to use whatever compound you want to use.

Did fans complain about it or drivers and teams? IIRC they changed tyres back to what they were the year before during one of the Vettel title years 10-13, not sure which, i only know from seeing a season review or similar so dont know what views were at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Did fans complain about it or drivers and teams? IIRC they changed tyres back to what they were the year before during one of the Vettel title years 10-13, not sure which, i only know from seeing a season review or similar so dont know what views were at the time

According to this article also fans were split https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2012/06/pirellis-f1-tyres-too-unpredictable/

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »

Maybe back when the cars were a bit more even fans didnt want that, 2012 itself was a year where a few could have won the title I believe, as opposed to now with 6 years of utter dominance by Merc

But now we're praying every weekend for rain or something to throw a spanner in the works, I'd imagine a lot would be in favour of damn near anything to make things less predictable

Advertisement