Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Splat_Mc

Hi everyone,

Is there any further information on the status of the rollout of FTTH in Greystones?

ideally, looking for deployment plan and timelines to specific estates in the town.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Splat_Mc wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Is there any further information on the status of the rollout of FTTH in Greystones?

ideally, looking for deployment plan and timelines to specific estates in the town.

Thanks

I think their rollout plans are secret - maybe due to competition with Eir. You wont know until you see them with a big roll of cable. If such plans are public, I'd love to see it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

mcbert wrote: »
    I think their rollout plans are secret - maybe due to competition with Eir. You wont know until you see them with a big roll of cable. If such plans are public, I'd love to see it too...

There's rolls of cable here in Enniscorthy the last few months still no sign of an activation date...

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

CoBo55 wrote: »
    There's rolls of cable here in Enniscorthy the last few months still no sign of an activation date...

ok, fair enough, not even a big roll of cable is necessarily enough to tell you it is imminent ...

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

Galway - 1282 new premises
    Limerick - 376 new premises
    Shannon - 244 new premises
    South Dublin - nearly 100 new premises

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Splat_Mc wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks
    What area in Greystones? I saw the cable in Greystones around the harbour area well over ago — it was a good while before it appeared in Kilcoole and I’m connected 8 months now. I haven’t seen them in the area for a long time other than the house installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Hi,
    When switching Siro provider, what equipment stays and what is changed, other than the ISP provided router?

I had long discussions with Actavo guys about the location of the ONT and the optical splitter (both side by side inside the house).
    And space is tight as it is, if different provider want to replace with different sized ONT, it won't fit if any bigger....

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi,
    When switching Siro provider, what equipment stays and what is changed, other than the ISP provided router?

I had long discussions with Actavo guys about the location of the ONT and the optical splitter (both side by side inside the house).
    And space is tight as it is, if different provider want to replace with different sized ONT, it won't fit if any bigger....

Nothing changes other than the ISP provided router

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I've checked Siro for availability at my new address (currently undergoing renovations) and it says it's unavailable.

The pole connecting my house to power is across the street and the cable spans ~10m to a shared chimney which between my house and my neighbor. Cable then drops down from chimney to eeves where it enters the houses to their respective meters.

The pole supplying power appears to be ready for Siro as it has loops of cable hanging from it like those supplying Siro to other houses in the area.

Is it an issue with the shared chimney which is preventing me getting Siro?

theShire wrote: »
    Is it an issue with the shared chimney which is preventing me getting Siro?

Pictures of ESB pole & cable to chimney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pictures of ESB pole & cable to chimney

I believe those are OpenEir FTTH not SIRO, Just got it connected myself last week but could be wrong

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail enter your eircode here and it should tell you what's available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

I believe those are OpenEir FTTH not SIRO, Just got it connected myself last week but could be wrong

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail enter your eircode here and it should tell you what's available

First pic is clearly of an ESB pole, dont think OpenEir would be allowed anywhere near their poles.

Definitely Siro, parents live around the corner and have Siro from Vodafone, separate cable from the pole as power is ducted and they couldn't route via the duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Definitely Siro, parents live around the corner and have Siro from Vodafone, separate cable from the pole as power is ducted and they couldn't route via the duct.

I have seen this happen — where I live there are 41 houses with power ducted in but the fibre cables are overhead. About halfway around the houses someone objected to the cable running across their house so only half of the estate have SIRO. I’m in the lucky half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

At last......

SIRO for Your Apartment

13,000 Apartments are SIRO Ready!

SIRO is now available to over 13,000 apartments nationwide. You can get 100% fibre broadband all the way into your apartment, with speeds of up to 1 Gigabit per second.

https://siro.ie/apartment/?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=monthly_ezine&utm_campaign=aug20&utm_content=siro_for_apartment#section-4

Anyone know where these are located?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbpete

Hi does anyone know when FTTH will be available in Mill Road rosbrien Limerick, a lot of work has been done locally and we now have a Fibre DP on the telephone pole outside our hose.

KOR101 wrote: »
    At last......

SIRO for Your Apartment

13,000 Apartments are SIRO Ready!

SIRO is now available to over 13,000 apartments nationwide. You can get 100% fibre broadband all the way into your apartment, with speeds of up to 1 Gigabit per second.

https://siro.ie/apartment/?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=monthly_ezine&utm_campaign=aug20&utm_content=siro_for_apartment#section-4

Anyone know where these are located?

Nationwide, many apartment buildings have been includedin the build on a monthly basis. The 13000 apartments mentioned aren't new.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

With the Telco's removing the 'Talk to' function, where is the best place to get info re SIRO/Vodafone speed issues (apart calling Vodafone)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

jim salter wrote: »
    With the Telco's removing the 'Talk to' function, where is the best place to get info re SIRO/Vodafone speed issues (apart calling Vodafone)

What are the issues you are experiencing? Who is your ISP?

As for telcos offering talk to options Digiweb offer a live chat option. However that may be for potential new or existing customers. However it might be worth a try.

cunnijo wrote: »
    What are the issues you are experiencing? Who is your ISP?

As for telcos offering talk to options Digiweb offer a live chat option. However that may be for potential new or existing customers. However it might be worth a try.

Thanks fort he reply.

As per earlier posts we've just got Vodafone SIRO 1Gb BB installed on Tuesday.

Max speed achieved via ethernet was 200Mbps and got faster on wifi - 290Mbps on the phone (with the phone literally beside the router).

Was hoping others in this thread may have had a similar experience and if it was a config issue rather than a congestion issue. Not sure if it could be a contention problem given that it is FTTH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Hi folks,

Siro is finally available to my home and I wanted to ask a few questions if I may.
    For the hardware being installed, is it a connection point installed internally which the router then connects to, ie: 2 pieces of hardware ? Does this connection point require a power source ?

My main issue is my house is wired for ethernet to a central utility room and I think it will be difficult to get the router in there without running cables all over the place.

I was thinking, I could patch the connection point into one of my RJ45 panels and then patch the other end (in the utility room) into the router ? Does this sound feasible ?

Finally is bridge mode available so that I can run my own wifi router ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Gaz wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Siro is finally available to my home and I wanted to ask a few questions if I may.
    For the hardware being installed, is it a connection point installed internally which the router then connects to, ie: 2 pieces of hardware ? Does this connection point require a power source ?

My main issue is my house is wired for ethernet to a central utility room and I think it will be difficult to get the router in there without running cables all over the place.

I was thinking, I could patch the connection point into one of my RJ45 panels and then patch the other end (in the utility room) into the router ? Does this sound feasible ?

thanks
    yes the require power sources.

assuming you have a switch in your patch panel that will work.

what provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

shanec1928 wrote: »
    yes the require power sources.

assuming you have a switch in your patch panel that will work.

what provider?

Looking at Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Thanks fort he reply.

As per earlier posts we've just got Vodafone SIRO 1Gb BB installed on Tuesday.

Max speed achieved via ethernet was 200Mbps and got faster on wifi - 290Mbps on the phone (with the phone literally beside the router).

Was hoping others in this thread may have had a similar experience and if it was a config issue rather than a congestion issue. Not sure if it could be a contention problem given that it is FTTH?

Also recently got Vodafone 1Gb BB and getting extremely low rates ~ 70Mbs connected with Wifi right beside router. Rang Vodafone and was told it was becuase order hadn't been closed and download rates will go up once it has been, which sounds like BS to me.

I'm going to check with ethernet once I get my hands on a cable but is there anything else I should check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Just been onto Vodafone. 200Mbs up but my download is sitting at 500ish. When i was onto them it went up to 800 and was being told im doing really well with anything over 500. BS.
    They have a 500 Mb package so when comes to renewal ill be looking again.

Their wifi is rubbish by the way so have my own router.

Gaz wrote: »
    Hi folks,

thanks

Yes fibre from outside is brought into the house and termianted on an ONT which requires Power. This ONT then offers the service to customer router using GigE port.

Setup you describe in using internal Ethernet cabling to connect from ONT back to Router would work just make sure the ethernet cabling is upto Spec (not just CAT5, needs to be CAT5E or Cat6) or the ONT will auto negogiate to 100Mbps service.

Depending on provider you go with router can be put in bridge mode or you dont need to use providers router use your own (some providers may not offer this option)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hi Guys

I got great help here before. I have Vodafone FTTH and was helped here for setting up my own Archer c8 router rather than the Gigabox
    Looking for suggestions for a replacement as I see the Archer doesn't do 802.11ac

Replacment would ideally have:
    -802.11ac
    -Can be used instead of the Gigabox, rather than in conjunciton with
    -Has MU-MIMO
    -Support Dynamic DNS Logins to NO-IP or DynDNS (Current Archer does this)
    -Is around 100-150euro

Thanks for ANY help
    Cheers

EDIT:
    I see the gigabox actually does all of the above, so wondering if it's worth replacing the gigabox at all?

Thought I would follow-up in this.

Called Vodafone and spend 90 mins on the phone.

Was firstly advised that the maximum speed my address could receive was 300Mbps due to the line into my house. This I can't understand as I watched as the Eir installers feed a line from the junction (10m from my front door)to my house and install the 'box' in my hallway. I asked the installer if the line was 1Gb and he looked at his handheld and said yes.

When I was advised, by Vodafone, the max speed was 300Mbps I questioned as the SIRO website (vodafone, Digiweb, Pure and Sky also) state that IGb is available at my Eircode. was told it was because that's all my 'line' can handle.

Was then transferred to sales, back to tech support and then to customer support. Got connected to '2nd level' support who advised that (and I quote) "the more I consume the higher my speed will be" !!!! That the 300Mbps was a 'stable' connection and that they could increase the speed once I used the connection more???!!! WTF? Eventually the '2nd level' support stated they were not a technician and they would get their manager to cal me back.

Very frustrating experience and it appears that none of the Vodafone support staff create any history records on the account as a reference point for the future - thankfully I record all phone conversations with service providers as record.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Thought I would follow-up in this.

Called Vodafone and spend 90 mins on the phone.

Was firstly advised that the maximum speed my address could receive was 300Mbps due to the line into my house. This I can't understand as I watched as the Eir installers feed a line from the junction (10m from my front door)to my house and install the 'box' in my hallway. I asked the installer if the line was 1Gb and he looked at his handheld and said yes.

When I was advised, by Vodafone, the max speed was 300Mbps I questioned as the SIRO website (vodafone, Digiweb, Pure and Sky also) state that IGb is available at my Eircode. was told it was because that's all my 'line' can handle.

Was then transferred to sales, back to tech support and then to customer support. Got connected to '2nd level' support who advised that (and I quote) "the more I consume the higher my speed will be" !!!! That the 300Mbps was a 'stable' connection and that they could increase the speed once I used the connection more???!!! WTF? Eventually the '2nd level' support stated they were not a technician and they would get their manager to cal me back.

Very frustrating experience and it appears that none of the Vodafone support staff create any history records on the account as a reference point for the future - thankfully I record all phone conversations with service providers as record.

Not trying to be cheeky or so ... but you do realize that Eir and SIRO are 2 very different networks with different speeds etc. ?
    So if you Eir install and checking with SIRO that does not compute (SIRO is installed in collaboration with ESB and Eir has their own network) ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Stone wrote: »
    Not trying to be cheeky or so ... but you do realize that Eir and SIRO are 2 very different networks with different speeds etc. ?
    So if you Eir install and checking with SIRO that does not compute (SIRO is installed in collaboration with ESB and Eir has their own network) ....

He just meant installers can you compute that?

Advertisement