Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I was at the local filling station for a fill up at 5:30pm this evening, it was quite busy at the time. I was pleasantly surprised, I must say, at the amount of young people, probably on their way home from work, who were either wearing masks or donning masks as they entered the convenience store (most wearing black masks, which looked good).

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Local young guy tested positive here. God, it ain't going away, is it?

Just heard about it a while ago. Hope he'll be ok.
    Different when it's close to home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

There's a wedding not too far from me at the weekend. Have a marquee up at the house. 100+ guests by all accounts. DJ, dance floor, free bar etc all lined up to keep it as normal as possible. I hope it works out for them but it's a bit of a pisstake tbh. No doubt there'll be some mention of social distancing at the start of the evening but without anyone responsible like you would have with a hotel manager, I'm sure it won't be long before any social distancing goes out the window.

Thankfully the weddings I've to go to have been put off well into next year. I don't know what I'd do if I was supposed to go to this one. You don't want to be falling out with people

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭somofagun

Was at a sheep sale this evening and let me tell you its only a matter of time before the marts are closed again. 4 deep at the ring side and stands 80% full, no social distancing at all. Few men wearing masks but alot were not. Was no natural ventilation to speak off as it was a still warm evening so it was prime conditions for a bit of COVID to spread. Glad to get out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Why are they locking down Laois Kildare and Offaly and never bother with Dublin when numbers were huge there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Why are they locking down Laois Kildare and Offaly and never bother with Dublin when numbers were huge there

Because its dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are the meat factories not closed down that have all the positive cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think only O'Briens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water John wrote: »
    I think only O'Briens.

One of the lamb lines in Kildare Chilling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

somofagun wrote: »
    Was at a sheep sale this evening and let me tell you its only a matter of time before the marts are closed again. 4 deep at the ring side and stands 80% full, no social distancing at all. Few men wearing masks but alot were not. Was no natural ventilation to speak off as it was a still warm evening so it was prime conditions for a bit of COVID to spread. Glad to get out of the place.

It's taken now that if you go out at the weekend that there'll be a house party when you're thrown out of the pub........ no one is going home at 11pm
    Even a factory worker referred to the house parties on the Indo today, lockdown is pointless now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

174 new cases. Is that the highest since the outbreak started ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    174 new cases. Is that the highest since the outbreak started ?
    No, 203 new cases on the 14th of May although the numbers are recorded as 426 for that day - 223 we previous cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Reggie. wrote: »
    Because its dublin

1 new case in Laois today down from 5 yesterday and no patients in portlaoise been treated for covid, its farcical that Laois has been locked down you can understand Kildare, but Laois been shutdown is solely down to the proximity to the direct provision center in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

I think it's due to them commuting in to the factory from laois

We've had 6/7 cases in Cork, both yesterday and today. Time to be vigilant all over.
    I see that one prison in Texas has a 75% of inmates testing positive. Well I presume that qualifies as herd immunity at this point.

One of the lamb lines in Kildare Chilling as well.
    Kildare Chilling have suspended operations as of today according to RTE on Twitter. I don't know how to link a Tweet :o

Base price wrote: »
    Kildare Chilling have suspended operations as of today according to RTE on Twitter. I don't know how to link a Tweet :o

There's a half square with an arrow pointing upwards on the bottom right of a tweet on the laptop and a V turned sideways on the mobile that you press and the option to copy link to the tweet comes up. Press copy and then paste it into the post and it will embed itself.

There's a half square with an arrow pointing upwards on the bottom right of a tweet on the laptop and a V turned sideways on the mobile that you press and the option to copy link to the tweet comes up. Press copy and then paste it into the post and it will embed itself.
    I will try it now to see if it works and you can delete the post after, if you don't mind.
    https://twitter.com/ciaranmullooly/status/1292429292329209858?s=20

I just came across this tweet this evening, a German government funded investigation about a large cluster in a meat factory.
    https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1292432971539132421?s=19

• Advertisement

Seems to support the idea of superspreaders. But it also seems to indicate aerosol spread not just droplets. Would that be a fair conclusion?

Seems to support the idea of superspreaders. But it also seems to indicate aerosol spread not just droplets. Would that be a fair conclusion?
    Yeah, I would say so.

I think the advice to stay 2m away from others is due to aerosol spread. But the advice was always to remain as far away from others as possible to reduce the exposure level to the virus should be remembered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Check this out on Agriland - Carroll Cuisine to suspend operations https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/carroll-cuisine-to-suspend-operations/

Must have been a "slight" bit of pressure put on here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

alps wrote: »
    Check this out on Agriland - Carroll Cuisine to suspend operations https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/carroll-cuisine-to-suspend-operations/

Must have been a "slight" bit of pressure put on here..

We should shut all the meat factories just in case for a few months...
    Views wouldn't be long changing on here then!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

;)

Social welfare offices and post offices are closing due to clusters in the que. :p

Greta has done marvellous work.

*Joking. Though I shouldn't.

I heard on the news that there is going to be blanket testing in all the meat factories so it is probable that more factories will close if clusters are found.

If a factory has a large number of positives, it could reopen relatively quickly, as in a fourteen days, with all those who are positive returning to work if they feel ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

If a factory has a large number of positives, it could reopen relatively quickly, as in a fourteen days, with all those who are positive returning to work if they feel ok.

The whole point of restrictions all along was to prevent a mass spreading/incubation before mass movement into the community.

Only about 1000-1500 cases have been recorded in meat factories so far out of a workforce of what? 5-10,000?

If government logic was to be consistent with everything else so far, meat factories should be on a par with the pubs and closed until further notice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

[Hint]Mod: Some off-topic posts removed. [/Hint]

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

A meat factory has a closed workforce, a pub has different members of the public in each day, totally different.
    A meat factory would be nearer to a school and every effort is being made to open those.

Advertisement