Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Had an F4 for a while, brilliant allround bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Black / brown / silver

Distinct rises in power at 8k, 10k, 12k rpm which get quite addictive...

Very easy bike to go fast on and cheap to run, practical to tour on too so not all about speed.

Sounds nice. My wheels need a refurb, trying to decide what colour to go. Thinking a gun metal grey.

I took the afternoon off today and went forba long spin, it ate the miles. Carbs need a tune though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Sounds nice. My wheels need a refurb, trying to decide what colour to go. Thinking a gun metal grey.

I took the afternoon off today and went forba long spin, it ate the miles. Carbs need a tune though
    What are they doing or not doing? Change the air filter n plugs first and see how she is.

H_Lime wrote: »
    What are they doing or not doing? Change the air filter n plugs first and see how she is.

The idle isn't as smooth as I'd like and she's running fierce rich. I know you'll always smell fuel from exhaust but its a lot. She isn't 14.7:1 at idle anyway!

Plan is full service, valve clearance and carb tune. Good things to do anyway, then I'll get it right cosmetically. Trying to bum the use of a garage but failing that I'll have to pay somebody to do it

The idle isn't as smooth as I'd like and she's running fierce rich. I know you'll always smell fuel from exhaust but its a lot. She isn't 14.7:1 at idle anyway!

Plan is full service, valve clearance and carb tune. Good things to do anyway, then I'll get it right cosmetically. Trying to bum the use of a garage but failing that I'll have to pay somebody to do it

Stating the obvs here but don't touch the carbs till you have new plugs and air filter in and ideally as you say clearences done also. Has she a can, perhaps someone went at the air screws.

• Advertisement

I know which I prefer

F72-F70-C9-629-B-493-A-B6-F1-621-B985-C8-B52.jpg

These

79-F3-DF78-843-D-49-CD-9611-9-B11-D868-B883.jpg
    Stickkkeeeeerrrrrsssssss!!!!!!
    :D

IMG-20200803-150325.jpg
    El shaggedo:(

IMG-20200803-151735.jpg
    New:)

IMG-20200803-172755.jpg

IMG-20200803-180232.jpg
    Found a new old stock one on fleabay for buttons, replaced me scabby old one, be rude not to.
    Cush is push fit with the sprocket carrier, now theres no slop and soo much nicer.

Stating the obvs here but don't touch the carbs till you have new plugs and air filter in and ideally as you say clearences done also. Has she a can, perhaps someone went at the air screws.

Ah yes, new plugs and filter would be going in beforehand, plug leads tested too or of they're not too tasty I'll replace them. I'll hang onto this bike for a bit so I would like everything perfect.

She has a can and SS headers. She had a 'moto gp' straight pipe when I got it which was binned (well sold), I'd say somebody did throw on more fuel alrught but with the bouncy idle you can see they're not balanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Stickkkeeeeerrrrrsssssss!!!!!!

The kids wanted them haha. I’ve contacted the dealer where I bought it to see if I can get the stock screen. The mirrors are being colour coded as well soon.

The kids wanted them haha. I’ve contacted the dealer where I bought it to see if I can get the stock screen. The mirrors are being colour coded as well soon.

Its your bike and all but id be leaving them black.

• Advertisement

Its your bike and all but id be leaving them black.

The other alternative is to get them painted black, there’s scuff marks on them that takes the look off the bike in that regard. She’s an otherwise very clean bike for 18 years old, not mint, but it was looked after. Those Chinese mirrors had to find, when riding down the dual carriageway they kept moving, even at a lower speed they were vibrating and I couldn’t see a thing. blade1 actually took a spin off it and pretty much said the same.

The other alternative is to get them painted black, there’s scuff marks on them that takes the look off the bike in that regard. She’s an otherwise very clean bike for 18 years old, not mint, but it was looked after. Those Chinese mirrors had to find, when riding down the dual carriageway they kept moving, even at a lower speed they were vibrating and I couldn’t see a thing. blade1 actually took a spin off it and pretty much said the same.

I get ya, but the rubber boot likely wouldn't take well to paint and would look crap, going black would be my preference - but its your bike and that's only my opinion.

I took those Chinese mirrors off mine too, shockingly bad, same problem even at slow speeds. As I was saying a couple of pages back I bought OEM and one arrived cracked, got onto the seller who sent me another pair, no quibble and don't want the old back.

I get ya, but the rubber boot likely wouldn't take well to paint and would look crap, going black would be my preference - but its your bike and that's only my opinion.

I took those Chinese mirrors off mine too, shockingly bad, same problem even at slow speeds. As I was saying a couple of pages back I bought OEM and one arrived cracked, got onto the seller who sent me another pair, no quibble and don't want the old back.

I wouldn’t be painting the rubber boot at all, had a disastrous experience doing that on a car 15 years ago. Just the main black bit of the mirror. The rest of it is actually fine.

I don’t get why people put them on, fine the carbon effect might look good to some, but that’s where it ends. I always keep original parts like that, if I ever did put an aftermarket part on my bike in place of the original, just the screen with my blade, that’s it.

Did you get the replacement mirror yet in place of the broken one? Been out for a test ride since changing them?

Ah yes, new plugs and filter would be going in beforehand, plug leads tested too or of they're not too tasty I'll replace them. I'll hang onto this bike for a bit so I would like everything perfect.

She has a can and SS headers. She had a 'moto gp' straight pipe when I got it which was binned (well sold), I'd say somebody did throw on more fuel alrught but with the bouncy idle you can see they're not balanced.

With a good sync and the mixture screws set she may be aok, be nice to not have to pull them... Meself, these days any time I pull carbs Im leaning towards carpet bombing them, saves time n money if you're the type to get like a dog with a bone about bad running. Pain in the hoop pulling carbs!

I wouldn’t be painting the rubber boot at all, had a disastrous experience doing that on a car 15 years ago. Just the main black bit of the mirror. The rest of it is actually fine.

I don’t get why people put them on, fine the carbon effect might look good to some, but that’s where it ends. I always keep original parts like that, if I ever did put an aftermarket part on my bike in place of the original, just the screen with my blade, that’s it.

Did you get the replacement mirror yet in place of the broken one? Been out for a test ride since changing them?

I don't get it either, although I think the originals on mine were tired and yer man replaced them.

Yep new ones arrived, they sent another pair, so I have a spare left and a cracked right for emergencies, although I might just throw them on adverts. I live in Dublin but had to do something in Linerick yesterday for work so went via Lahinch and a small stretch of the Wild Atlantic Way, 600kms but an enjoyable 600 🀣

With a good sync and the mixture screws set she may be aok, be nice to not have to pull them... Meself, these days any time I pull carbs Im leaning towards carpet bombing them, saves time n money if you're the type to get like a dog with a bone about bad running. Pain in the hoop pulling carbs!

I spent a lot if time learning ECU tuning, same principals apply only the adjustments are mechanical rather than key strokes.... how hard can it be :pac:

To be fair I won't do it myself unless I have a garage sorted.

I don't get it either, although I think the originals on mine were tired and yer man replaced them.

Yep new ones arrived, they sent another pair, so I have a spare left and a cracked right for emergencies, although I might just throw them on adverts. I live in Dublin but had to do something in Linerick yesterday for work so went via Lahinch and a small stretch of the Wild Atlantic Way, 600kms but an enjoyable 600 🀣

I spent a lot if time learning ECU tuning, same principals apply only the adjustments are mechanical rather than key strokes.... how hard can it be :pac:

To be fair I won't do it myself unless I have a garage sorted.

I’d rather swap out worn originals for some new ones unless they were unwilling to pay that for them. Got mine from a breakers for €40

Just got around to swapping the mirror out, happy out now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Was getting what I didn't think was chain slap recently as I was used to a more high pitched knock and rattle when I've heard it on other bikes in the past. Tightened the chain yesterday and the noise is gone. There's one nice tight spot on the chain. Have been measuring off the same spot for a while now, probably 5-10mm difference between it and the rest of the chain.

Reminded me of a time when I pulled over to help a broken down bike... the chain had completely come off it was so loose. I got the chain back on for him and tightened everything up to get him home. He had no clue on how to tighten a chain himself and had been getting a mechanic to do it. Obviously it's probably one of the easiest servicing jobs you can do yourself but you'd be surprised at how many people don't know how to do it or how important it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Serviced the bike yesterday, first time doing the spark plugs and air filter, christ access is awkward to the plugs.

The oil filter was stuck on, I actually broke my filter strap trying to get it off. Had to resort to the old screwdriver and hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

zubair wrote: »
    Was getting what I didn't think was chain slap recently as I was used to a more high pitched knock and rattle when I've heard it on other bikes in the past. Tightened the chain yesterday and the noise is gone. There's one nice tight spot on the chain. Have been measuring off the same spot for a while now, probably 5-10mm difference between it and the rest of the chain.

Reminded me of a time when I pulled over to help a broken down bike... the chain had completely come off it was so loose. I got the chain back on for him and tightened everything up to get him home. He had no clue on how to tighten a chain himself and had been getting a mechanic to do it. Obviously it's probably one of the easiest servicing jobs you can do yourself but you'd be surprised at how many people don't know how to do it or how important it is.

I can understand this. Its almost impossible to find a course that teaches this, so you're kinda restricted to YouTube. And then it's a space & tools situation. I know I'm very very basically mechanically, and without a garage at the moment, and HATE doing anything much with the bike on the driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Finally got round to doing this after procratinating for months.

Reckon it was the fluid in it from factory, the other fork oil was even darker.
    zIMnzcr.jpg

hrW98fa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I can understand why you'd put that job off haha, this is one of those, if it ain't broke, scenarios for me.

Reckon it was the fluid in it from factory, the other fork oil was even darker.
    zIMnzcr.jpg

hrW98fa.jpg
    A job worth doing. Did you fit new seals or just do the oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Just did the oil, seals and dust covers seem to be fine.

I'll do the coolant next just cause..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

id say i have that job down to 90 mins at this stage. Actually its really handy to do once you do it once or twice.

Before

F95-E3-D79-11-F4-4-E87-A894-D81-CE74-E622-F.jpg

After

7-E50-AC13-869-D-4-D61-8211-EC9760-EBDE69.jpg

Stock screen & mirrors now back on it, just have to clean it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Before

F95-E3-D79-11-F4-4-E87-A894-D81-CE74-E622-F.jpg

After

7-E50-AC13-869-D-4-D61-8211-EC9760-EBDE69.jpg

Stock screen & mirrors now back on it, just have to clean it