Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA UFC 4

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yeah I KO’d my sparring partner in my second fight prep without even meaning to. I had done the tasks and was trying landing different punches and ended up clicking him with an uppercut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Stamina needs a lot of tuning and body shots don't feel as rewarding as they should. You're better off head hunting.

Played a couple of online fights and was able to just blitz through the opponent both times throwing nearly non stop. One was Ranked Championships and another was quick fight stand and bang.

Very Fortnite-ish but I really enjoyed doing my player card and unlocking the achievements. I prob won't be bothered though in a day or two :P

I really really hope/wish they covered more stats in online fights. So you could see your own/opps W/L record, types of wins, most used fighted etc. I think it was in UFC 2 and was really good to be able to go back and see what type of player you were up against and track your own stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Went back to career, 1st round ko's straight to ufc. Chose hard difficulty and but didn't do my first fight yet. The career seems better than last year already but sparring AI needs to be tweaked.

Tried online ranked and I'm really liking Tony. First guy couldn't take the boxing so took me down so i armbarred him. 2nd guy I KO'd in the 2nd and then on my title fight, GSP took me down and finished me very early with strikes.

I hate the new GnP system but probably cuz i just don't understand it yet. It's like you have to choose between blocking, posting hooks or dodging straights like rock paper scissors until the game breaks the posture up. The problem is gnp feels so weak that a KO comes out of nowhere.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think i killed this guy...

Doesn't get sweeter than that! When I knock people out, they dont fckn move :)

• Advertisement

I just read that someone win the wfa belt and defended 3 times before finally heading to the UFC. Started ranked 6 at LW and went straight into a 250 show/250 win bonus. That's fairly class and definitely more motivation to go the wfa route.

I'm thinking of starting a new career to try balanced. I want to utilise standup, clinch, ground and subs.. like an actual mma fighter. I think it will suit the wfa route more as i doubt I'll be KOing anyone early on.

I like how you can use your avatar in ranked. It'll let me pick and archetype and learn it well in terms of moves perks strengths and weaknesses rather then guessing with real fighters

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I like how you can use your avatar in ranked. It'll let me pick and archetype and learn it well in terms of moves perks strengths and weaknesses rather then guessing with real fighters

Yeah i think that will be a popular option as you will have the same moves in all weight classes. You'll only be a 3.5 star fighter but if you find a good archetype, could be very handy.

Yeah i think that will be a popular option as you will have the same moves in all weight classes. You'll only be a 3.5 star fighter but if you find a good archetype, could be very handy.

Ah I thought it was 4 no?

Edit: yeah it's 4

Ah I thought it was 4 no?

Oh it could be, i saw a YouTube vid last week saying they were 3.5. 4 star cafs would be way more tempting, will check myself tonight.

• Advertisement

Got a standing guillotine!!! Buzzing :)

Good scraps tonight Stephen, kicked my arse but had to upload our first fight as it had everything, great scrap.

And for bonus footage, check out this combo that he lifted me off my feet with!

https://twitter.com/Sheehy_83/status/1292593636241219584?s=19

Good scraps tonight Stephen, kicked my arse but had to upload our first fight as it had everything, great scrap.

And for bonus footage, check out this combo that he lifted me off my feet with!

https://twitter.com/Sheehy_83/status/1292593636241219584?s=19

Haha great fights! Yeah first one had it all! None went the distance haha very enjoyable. Such a good game if they can iron out the kinks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Great stuff lads, I’ll be on tomorrow night if anyone has time left in their trial for a few scraps. Put my first 2 hours in tonight trying for the blitz battle trophy but no luck, not gonna bother with career until the game drops fully.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Ground game is broken, especially the ground and pound aspect. Feels like if you just get rained on and have no reply, or its too late by the time you can.

One of the things that massively annoys me and it was in the last one too is the awful UX on the menu system. After a fight i just want to get to the next fight, dont make me have to scroll down to quit..it should be the first option, stats and all that stuff after it for those that are interested but just let get on with it ffs.

Played a few blitz battles, same as last night, get to the last one and cant get a fight.

Gonna restart career like i was saying when the game drops Friday as I wanna go the wfa route so just gonna soak up the few hours left messing around in it and blitz and call it a day.

For such an important aspect of mma, finishing the fight, gnp feels awful in this. It sucks when i get ko'd by it unexpectedly and i try not to use it when attacking as it doesn't feel satisfying to end a fight with it at all.

I'm leaving blitz until full release, only a waste now if you can't find a Dubai opponent. Have to ask, what fighter/strategy are you using to make it to the final?

I have 6 hours left so will be back on tonight for some scraps.

Usually i just pick a fighter I like (max,tony or conor) and throw a few jabs, get them in the clinch and then batter them enough that after that they have to come at me to try win the round, then just pick them off with jabs and kicks. The odd time will come up against someone that goes to the ground but if they arent doing damage i find if I can get back to my feet then landing a few decent punches still gets me the win. Usually ill get past the first 3 no problem, then just depends on the next ones or if i can find a fight for the final - havent so far. Only have 30 mins left now after playing career a bit more so thats me done till Friday.

Meant to ask how you got this? I was using Jones in practice and said to do it, I had to press square from standing headlock but no idea how to get to that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

For such an important aspect of mma, finishing the fight, gnp feels awful in this. It sucks when i get ko'd by it unexpectedly and i try not to use it when attacking as it doesn't feel satisfying to end a fight with it at all.

I'm leaving blitz until full release, only a waste now if you can't find a Dubai opponent. Have to ask, what fighter/strategy are you using to make it to the final?

I have 6 hours left so will be back on tonight for some scraps.

I’ve been using Kevin Lee and every opponent assumes I’m going to wrestle them, so I usually fake a takedown, high kick.....and then of course I take them down and lie firmly on top of them for as long as I have left on the clock. :pac:

I’ve actually done a lot better in with the likes of Poirier and Gaethje, come up against a lot of Khabibs and it’s just about landing a few strikes on the outside and stuffing their takedowns. It’s a great new mode, looking forward to seeing what else comes up in it.

• Advertisement

Meant to ask how you got this? I was using Jones in practice and said to do it, I had to press square from standing headlock but no idea how to get to that position.

Get clinch, transition once to Thai. then you should put them up against the cage so it's much harder for them to escape and only way I've been able to lock it in, then L2 R1 and hold Square/triangle (not sure if it matters I use the same button I used to transition with) and it hopefully locks in if they don't escape. The fighter needs the move obvs, think it's 4* and 5* guillotines. Charles Oliveira and Brian Ortega both have it anyway

A guy beat me in like 30 secs with it I was in shock but it was so cool so I spent the next few fights trying to learn it and get one myself haha.

I've been having huge success with armbars from full guard bottom btw! I literally went on a 6 fight streak of all armbars, not sure it's cheesy but some of the fights I was defo losing so was great to be able to steal the win!

Get clinch, transition once to Thai. then you should put them up against the cage so it's much harder for them to escape and only way I've been able to lock it in, then L2 R1 and hold Square/triangle (not sure if it matters I use the same button I used to transition with) and it hopefully locks in if they don't escape. The fighter needs the move obvs, think it's 4* and 5* guillotines. Charles Oliveira and Brian Ortega both have it anyway

A guy beat me in like 30 secs with it I was in shock but it was so cool so I spent the next few fights trying to learn it and get one myself haha.

I've been having huge success with armbars from full guard bottom btw! I literally went on a 6 fight streak of all armbars, not sure it's cheesy but some of the fights I was defo losing so was great to be able to steal the win!

Sound got it now, that's a very shnakey move :pac:

I've been playing in practice a bit and the ground definitely feels wonky. I was practicing blocking different strikes and there was serious lag switching between blocking straights (R2) and blocking hooks (L1 & Direction). Sometimes, he would lay there not doing any defensive block. This happened in the beta as well so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, feels off though.

Also, playing against skilled ground ai in practice and subs felt off. I would have full stamina, he would have nearly nothing and he could finish subs and I couldn't. Made sure I was moving slowly and staying in his colour but no use.

Overall, I'm really liking it, potential for great scraps if a few things can get ironed out like Stephen said.

Also, playing against skilled ground ai in practice and subs felt off. I would have full stamina, he would have nearly nothing and he could finish subs and I couldn't. Made sure I was moving slowly and staying in his colour but no use.

Overall, I'm really liking it, potential for great scraps if a few things can get ironed out like Stephen said.

Haha yeah loving it too! I'm having no issue with subs I've a few wins by sub including online and ai on hard in career both in training and fights. Haven't tried legendary.

I find joint sub game easier than choke.

I'm having awful trouble defending takedowns though. I even went into practice and even though I'd know the takedown was coming, the only way I'd deny it is if I pre denied. And nearly never defending them online. I know you've to turn yourself to counter whatever way they're doing it, but can't get it down at all and getting slammed all the time

Haha yeah loving it too! I'm having no issue with subs I've a few wins by sub including ai on hard in career both in training and fights. Haven't tried legendary.

I find joint sub game easier than choke.

I'm having awful trouble defending takedowns though. I even went into practice and even though I'd know the takedown was coming, the only way I'd deny it is if I pre denied. And nearly never defending them online. I know you've to turn yourself to counter whatever way they're doing it, but can't get it down at all and getting slammed all the time

Yupp, defending the takedown is tough, easy pre denying but how often will you be doing that. Saw this vid this morning but haven't been able to test it out. Says you flick down on the left stick as well as L2 & R2. I'd be on for some grappling matches tonight if anyone wants to work on wrestling.

Yupp, defending the takedown is tough, easy pre denying but how often will you be doing that. Saw this vid this morning but haven't been able to test it out. Says you flick down on the left stick as well as L2 & R2. I'd be on for some grappling matches tonight if anyone wants to work on wrestling.

Ya I've watched that too but still couldn't get it to work :( although I practiced against Khabib haha

Ah lads, the judging is shocking in this. Had my first UFC fight on Hard against Nik Lentz (honestly, who givva **** about Nik Lentz!) and he wrestle ****ed me for 3 rounds. I rocked him once and got more significant strikes but I spent most of each of the rounds on the bottom. Couldn't escape him, could only get up by the bell. I accepted defeat and then I was awarded the win. Absolute robbery :pac:

It made me realise something, Hard mode is a lot more fun than Normal but my non existent ground game as a Boxer is a balls. I watched all the tape and learned he was susceptible to a guillotine from the bottom....except I didn't have that. I mean, who doesn't have a guillotine from the bottom. So, next camp, I went to invite a fighter to learn subs and saw I can learn about 4 subs total, none of them being a guillotine. I had hopes of eventually learning a counter takedown guillotine and standing guillotine but looks like I can't as a boxer.

Will start a new career later as a balanced and see if I get more options. I don't mind not having 1st round KO's if it means I can eventually become good everywhere.

Ah lads, the judging is shocking in this. Had my first UFC fight on Hard against Nik Lentz (honestly, who givva **** about Nik Lentz!) and he wrestle ****ed me for 3 rounds. I rocked him once and got more significant strikes but I spent most of each of the rounds on the bottom. Couldn't escape him, could only get up by the bell. I accepted defeat and then I was awarded the win. Absolute robbery :pac:

It made me realise something, Hard mode is a lot more fun than Normal but my non existent ground game as a Boxer is a balls. I watched all the tape and learned he was susceptible to a guillotine from the bottom....except I didn't have that. I mean, who doesn't have a guillotine from the bottom. So, next camp, I went to invite a fighter to learn subs and saw I can learn about 4 subs total, none of them being a guillotine. I had hopes of eventually learning a counter takedown guillotine and standing guillotine but looks like I can't as a boxer.

Will start a new career later as a balanced and see if I get more options. I don't mind not having 1st round KO's if it means I can eventually become good everywhere.

I think I learned guillotines in career mode as a boxer, maybe it's random the moves you can learn

I think I learned guillotines in career mode as a boxer, maybe it's random the moves you can learn

Ok, my mistake. I started 3 new careers tonight as boxer again to see if it was random who you could invite, a balanced and a bjj guy. They all had the same offers on moves the could learn. You only get 6 bjj moves offered at the start for each and the bjj guy already has 4 of them. Biggest eye opener for me was balanced only has an armbar to start with which i think is same as boxer. His grappling is similar to boxer also, just has more health. Also to get the guillotine, you have to be ranked 15 in ufc before you can invite joey b to learn it which if you go the wfa route will be ages, bit disappointed by that.

Out of the new builds, had the most fun with bjj guy. Ton of submissions to start with and still has an overhand and head kick. Much easier to learn strikes and build an all round fighter by the looks of things so think that's gonna be my main guy on hard difficulty.

• Advertisement

Great fights with Marty tonight, this one was a banger. The only reason it went on so long was Rose has an iron chin but i was bate everywhere. Some great exchanges, lunges, counters and ground work.

Advertisement