Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I've seen them a handful of times around this area, but only ever one at a time. That is a female smooth newt. The male has a stripe down the spine, females have parallel stripes down either side. I've seen them a lot bigger than this too, maybe young?

They're used by researchers as bioindicators around lakes and streams. Apparently because they have such thin skin, they're susceptible to toxins and pollution, so if they're found in numbers, it's safe to assume the environment is fairly pollution free.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Any ideas on this one folks?.....

50181020542_70f332846f_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's an Alder Moth caterpillar. The moth is fairly unspectacular looking compared to the caterpillar.

Alun wrote: »
    It's an Alder Moth caterpillar. The moth is fairly unspectacular looking compared to the caterpillar.

Thanks Alun, found not far from Alder and Birch so it was a happy chappie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Mod: No photos of nests are allowed. It's illegal to approach/disturb/photograph nests and nesting areas without a valid licence.
    More info here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99720151&postcount=7428

• Advertisement

lolie wrote: »
    Mod: No photos of nests are allowed. It's illegal to approach/disturb/photograph nests and nesting areas without a valid licence.
    More info here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99720151&postcount=7428

Ok just realised how stupid it was to post photos of the nest.
    To point out the nest was on a wall a few metres from the back door of the house and was a quick snap in passing when no adults were about, also they're cropped so not as close as it seems.
    The parent photo was also a zoomed cropped shot taken with a bluetooth shutter so the birds weren't disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

lolie wrote: »

theyre not peregrin falcons here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

theyre not peregrin falcons here

Mod Note: It doesn't matter what species they are - all nesting birds are legally protected in this way in Ireland under the Wildlife Act, and this is the rule that is enforced here. If you want to discuss it further you can PM me and not post in-thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Robin
    gTFGqHy.jpg

Hopefully this is safe to post, another few on the phone taken weeks ago.
    Elephant hawk moth, flew in to the shed so had to handle it to put it back outside.
    Beautiful creature.
    nor.jpg

nor.jpg

nor.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Does not look like elephant. Looks like 70s disco diva on TOTP :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This little fella visited the garden yesterday

First one I ever seen that wasn't flat on a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This little fella visited the garden yesterday

First one I ever seen that wasn't flat on a road.

https://flic.kr/p/2jtEEpN

Pied Wagtail with snack
    x6jTDez.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Peacock
    Peacock-Butterfly-1-Custom.jpg

Red Admiral
    Red-Admiral-3-Custom.jpg

Small Tortoiseshell
    Small-Tortoise-Shell-2-Custom.jpg

Harebell, Keelhilla, Co. Clare.....

50208401932_b8eccb63a0_b.jpg

Dark Bush-Cricket, as far as I can ascertain from Google, Keelhilla, Co. Clare.....

50209561821_7b780aa8a4_b.jpg

Spotted Flycatcher
    mOjqqvi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

50229443471_769b84404d_c.jpgManx shearwater by Zed Llab, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Hi guys,

I climbed up Bray Head at the weekend and spotted this fella, they're not great photos but hoping you could help identify it for me?

When I started the climb there was a signpost that said you can expect to see a kestrel, I've never seen one so not entirely sure if it is.

I use an app to identify birds which it suggests a peregrine falcon but I'm not convinced.

50235519973_0088993538_c.jpgBray head bird by Greg Dunne, on Flickr

50235520193_62fe7cfbec_c.jpgBray head bird by Greg Dunne, on Flickr

50236184616_96b8c3bee6_c.jpgBray head bird in flight by Greg Dunne, on Flickr

sumsar wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I climbed up Bray Head at the weekend and spotted this fella, they're not great photos but hoping you could help identify it for me?

When I started the climb there was a signpost that said you can expect to see a kestrel, I've never seen one so not entirely sure if it is.

I use an app to identify birds which it suggests a peregrine falcon but I'm not convinced.

Female Sparrowhawk.....

Nice, thanks for that.

I have the book on identifying birds and wasn’t sure where to look in this instance ha so now I’ll read on sparrowhawk and others I mentioned so that in future I know what to look for.

Thanks for the response!

I got the following photos in Bray at the weekend, some of my better photos since I started bird watching this year so I'm pretty happy at the moment ha.

50236286438_44d643b97c_c.jpg
    Stonechat

50236956981_68c134d861_c.jpg
    Stonechat 2

50236581793_c736bb4d42_c.jpg
    Stonechat 3

50235520768_bdae0eae4c_c.jpg
    Dunnock

50236416977_32a48f5e0e_c.jpg
    European Stonechat 4

50236168996_28f1eeefcb_c.jpg
    Juvenile Goldfinch

Hi folks,

Hoping for some help on this one.. my initial thoughts was that it was a juvenile goldfinch, but from looking into it I'm starting to sway towards a Linnet but not convinced.. would appreciate some guidance on this one.

I spotted it at Bray Head if that helps.

50239112738_ea5e91b0b9_z.jpg
    Not Sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

sumsar wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Hoping for some help on this one.. my initial thoughts was that it was a juvenile goldfinch, but from looking into it I'm starting to sway towards a Linnet but not convinced.. would appreciate some guidance on this one.

I spotted it at Bray Head if that helps.

50239112738_ea5e91b0b9_z.jpg
    Not Sure

It's a Linnet

Egret
    vesv4e7.jpg

Koi Carp
    BczT8PS.jpg

Pond Raider
    3F6m4OA.jpg