Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let's all talk about Lewis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont get the racisism acusations at all. most people that dont like hamilton have always disliked him even before he became succesfull and well before he became one of the best drivers in the sport ever. people dont like him because of the way he acts and speaks. he is often arrogent and self obsessed and 'never wrong', when things are going good its his own success but when they dont its the teams fault.

there are reasons people dont like him. his race has nothing to do with it

thinking that people dislike him because he is succesfull is laughable, there are lots of sports stars out then that are succesfull and are well likes.

look at mayweather, woods, michael jorden, koby bryant, shaquel o neil, etc etc. they all feature in the top 10 paid sports stars in the last few year. race doesnt come into it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gintonious wrote: »
    Must have read them a few times now, can't spot any sort of racism at all in either of them.

Criticizing an anti-racism stance is therefore racist. Serious mental gymnastics going on there.

Theres a vocal cohort of Hamilton fans who use his race as a free pass for anything and if you disagree/criticise him at all you are racist. LiquidZeb has just shown that skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

pjohnson wrote: »
    Theres a vocal cohort of Hamilton fans who use his race as a free pass for anything and if you disagree/criticise him at all you are racist. LiquidZeb has just shown that skill.

I will keep an eye out for that in the future so :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts removed - please note the Admin team are reviewing those posts - pleased do not discuss further here

117163420_3275848932508046_8954135529451751487_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=0QUB7CwP8A0AX-Cix_N&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=e1ae8587cce7dd011e886000a354b060&oe=5F51B24E

He should probably have a word with this team and accounts department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

A six time formula 1 world champion, and not yet retired. What more is there to say.

ruwithme wrote: »
    A six time formula 1 world champion, and not yet retired. What more is there to say.

You must be new around here. Welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ruwithme wrote: »
    Plenty to say.
    He's been gifted the records.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

ELM327 wrote: »
    Plenty to say.
    He's been gifted the records.

Beaten every team-mate he’s ever had, including three world champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Faugheen wrote: »

And has been beaten by at least 2 different team mates over the course of a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Great driver! Great in the rain too. Always seemed polite and respectful in interviews, what's not to like. I can like someone who thinks the earth is flat, it doesn't offend me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Faugheen wrote: »
    What about Jenson over 3 years together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

ELM327 wrote: »
    What about Jenson over 3 years together?

Didn't Hamilton beat him 2 out of 3 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Didn't Hamilton beat him 2 out of 3 :confused:

He did. Rosberg and Button only beat Hamilton once and both are world champions so no shame in losing once or twice, gave him more motivation to win even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

I presume any good driver in history who ever drove a dominant car can have the title for that season written off as being handed to them, or those it only count with Lewis?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lewis says he feels awkward negotiating a new contract when so many job losses are going on.

So drive for free then?

People seem to forget that Schumacher had Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne behind him. Vettel had Adrian Newey at Red Bull. Great drivers always have a great team behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Lewis says he feels awkward negotiating a new contract when so many job losses are going on.

So drive for free then?

Why would he? If he wasn't making the people he drives for and sponsors money he would be getting zero. It's not his fault his market rate is more than 1000 times the average wage. On top of that I am going to go out on a limb and say he does a lot more for charity than anyone in this thread, that includes you.

recyclebin wrote: »
    People seem to forget that Schumacher had Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne behind him. Vettel had Adrian Newey at Red Bull. Great drivers always have a great team behind them.

Senna liked to hop to teams he believed had the best car, he left McLaren cause the Williams was all powerful but then it got nerfed the year he joined.
    Why Hamilton is expected to drive the Alpha Romeo or Haas to prove himself I don't know.
    He wasn't some randomer McLaren picked up off the street for his first year, they obviously saw talent in him. Not to mention he joined Mercedes when they had won previously zilch at the time after returning

Killinator wrote: »
    Senna liked to hop to teams he believed had the best car, he left McLaren cause the Williams was all powerful but then it got nerfed the year he joined.
    Why Hamilton is expected to drive the Alpha Romeo or Haas to prove himself I don't know.
    He wasn't some randomer McLaren picked up off the street for his first year, they obviously saw talent in him. Not to mention he joined Mercedes when they had won previously zilch at the time after returning

He joined them when they had gotten their requests honoured when it came to the massive rule changes in 2014, well timed.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    He joined them when they had gotten their requests honoured when it came to the massive rule changes in 2014, well timed.

Even if he did and he knew they were in with a great chance of winning, it's not exactly unheard of for a driver to try and get to what they think is the best team.
    Neither Vettel or the God amongst men to some, Alonso, joined Ferrari thinking they be a **** show. They joined as they thought it would give them a shot at the title.
    Yet we're told Hamilton's titles mean less or don't count because his choice worked out and the other guys didn't.
    Rosberg drove a dominant Merc, why isn't his title questioned.
    Buttons Brawn was in a league of 2 for the first half of his title winning season .
    These drivers are used as a stick to beat Hamilton , but no one is saying their titles don't count or mean less because let's face it they are not in with a chance of breaking the great Schumi's 7....well is it really 7, can we count the titles he 'walked' or was 'gifted'. Maybe he's closer to 5. And Senna, maybe 2 if we discount the 'easy' ones

Even if he did and he knew they were in with a great chance of winning, it's not exactly unheard of for a driver to try and get to what they think is the best team.
    Neither Vettel or the God amongst men to some, Alonso, joined Ferrari thinking they be a **** show. They joined as they thought it would give them a shot at the title.
    Yet we're told Hamilton's titles mean less or don't count because his choice worked out and the other guys didn't.
    Buttons Brawn was in a league of 2 for the first half of his title winning season .
    These drivers are used as a stick to beat Hamilton , but no one is saying their titles don't count or mean less because let's face it they are not in with a chance of breaking the great Schumi's 7....well is it really 7, can we count the titles he 'walked' or was 'gifted'. Maybe he's closer to 5. And Senna, maybe 2 if we discount the 'easy' ones

I can only speak for myself, but I don't see what being the case with most.

As for the first line, the only driver to break that mould was Schumacher, when he went to Ferrari who were well at sea when he joined. (I am a Schumacher snob, so I will always jump to his defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Rosberg gets minimal credit for his title. None from Hamilton fans. They usually blame reliability. No mention of the many atrocious starts Hamilton made that season.

Seeing Hamilton ‘race’ by backing the pack up to hinder Rosberg was hilarious though. A real ‘racer’.

Rosberg gets minimal credit for his title. None from Hamilton fans. They usually blame reliability. No mention of the many atrocious starts Hamilton made that season.

Seeing Hamilton ‘race’ by backing the pack up to hinder Rosberg was hilarious though. A real ‘racer’.

You mean like Schumacher who collided with Hill and Villeneuve, or Senna into Prost. I don't think Hamilton has ever deliberately crashed into someone. All the greatest drivers didn't get there by being nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

For me I think its a shame Ferrari are not really at the races this year if you will excuse the pun, I genuinely think that if their car was better Le Clerk would be a:very compeditive or b: beating him. And actually showing Lewis to be good but not great or legendary and it would probably take him down a peg or two.

nelly17 wrote: »
    For me I think its a shame Ferrari are not really at the races this year if you will excuse the pun, I genuinely think that if their car was better Le Clerk would be a:very compeditive or b: beating him. And actually showing Lewis to be good but not great or legendary and it would probably take him down a peg or two.

Or maybe, just maybe, Lewis would/is a better driver.
    Ifs and buts are fine but Hamilton has the trophies not Leclerc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I very much doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ifs and buts are fine but Hamilton has the trophies not Leclerc

Leclerc is in a universally accepted rubbish car. He hasn't a hope of winning in it. Hamilton has been and is in the best car on the grid by a country mile. Fair play to him but winning in the Merc is much easier when compared to the crap Ferrari. Think about it this way - would Hamilton win the championship in the Ferrari?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Leclerc is in a universally accepted rubbish car. He hasn't a hope of winning in it. Hamilton has been and is in the best car on the grid by a country mile. Fair play to him but winning in the Merc is much easier when compared to the crap Ferrari. Think about it this way - would Hamilton win the championship in the Ferrari?

No, he obviously wouldn't. But leclerc isn't going to either.
    So what, if Leclerc was in the Merc and Hamilton was in the Ferrari, obviously Leclerc should win.
    But he's not in the best car, only 2 people can be in the best car at any time
    What has Leclerc done, actually done, that makes him a better driver?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What has Leclerc done, actually done, that makes him a better driver?

Well for a start he doesn’t accuse other drivers of cheating when they beat him fair and square. I would think that this gives Leclerc an edge of Hamilton that enables to objectively analyze what is making him slower and build on that.

Advertisement