Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

I've no issues with people looking for subscription of patreons to fund emulator development. Especially if its for an open source and free one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Anyone bother dabbling with the Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro and the recent USB hack ?

Decent option for one of those 'classic mini' systems especially if the vast majority of Neo Geo titles dont appeal enough to someone to pursue real hardware, but I'm surprised with the positivity from others online given the laggy performance of the expanded titles. Must read up more on the different emulator support.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There seems to a hack for it alright, I was looking for something similar for the Capcom stick but found nothing, the Neo Geo stick on the other hand seems to have one.
    I'm not promoting the use of roms or bios files with this link, and you use the info at your own risk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/neogeo/comments/dygmwv/how_to_add_games_to_the_snk_neogeo_arcade_stick/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye, the one for the ASP that came out recently is called the Hylohack, and basically allows you to play the games you already own on the stick :)

The Neo Geo 'mini' scene is certainly a curious one, with not one of the implementations really nailing it. Go back to the X and its dodgy performance, right up to the Mini with its ropey output and even though the ASP is a surpringly competent controller (even for other systems) and resolves the output issues of the Mini, the games included (even the hidden official ones' are not varied enough if you're not a SNK fight fan.

Used to have an AES a lonnnng time back, but never got into it beyond the 4 games we had at the time IIRC, so was offloaded (can't even remember for how much) so at least the ASP allows me to revisit the system in an official manner even if it there has to be sacrifices. More accurate implementations out there, but a decent AIO if the games tickle your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Has anyone looked into the Resident Evil 2 & 3 Seamless HD projects? From first glance here, they look pretty fantastic...

https://www.reshdp.com/re2/

I was about to ask for advice in terms of which version of RE2 to play...but I think I'll have answered my own question! They use modified & portable versions of Dolphin, so all you need are the games themselves...the upscaled textures etc are all in place & ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Has anyone tried the new version of the PS2 emulator PCSX2 version 1.6.0?

Seems to add a lot of improvements since 1.4.0.

Going to try it on my Ryzen 3400G powered mini PC soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »

I think that's the version I downloaded recently to play Tokyo Bus Guide, seemed to work well!

Not yet, on my to-do list of updating emulators though. Been meaning to ask you about the new Ryzen pc....how's it working out?

Inviere wrote: »
    Not yet, on my to-do list of updating emulators though. Been meaning to ask you about the new Ryzen pc....how's it working out?

I bought one second hand on eBay for about €420, so saved a nice a bit of money and the hassle of building it myself.

Has 16gb of RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, a Noctua cooler and a WiFi / Bluetooth m.2 card. The seller even put fresh thermal paste on the CPU.

Been playing some modern games on it and have yet to set it up for retro.

so saved a nice a bit of money and the hassle fun of building it myself.

Slight correction :P

I actually love building PC's....setting up the software though, getting too old :o

• Advertisement

Very impressive little 'under the tv' Ryzen powered mini PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Does anyone know any comprehensive retroach guides for PC including recommended shaders for what systems?. I think I might try and actually figure out how to use it since on my PC before I waste my money buying another one of the retro handhelds.

megaten wrote: »
    Does anyone know any comprehensive retroach guides for PC including recommended shaders for what systems?. I think I might try and actually figure out how to use it since on my PC before I waste my money buying another one of the retro handhelds.

I was toying with the idea of making a guide for the forum here, from start to finish with RetroArch running under LaunchBox etc. The limitations of 15 images per post kinda put a stop to it, as it would have got pretty messy and would have been hard to put together with a nice table of contents etc.

I'll summarise it right down for you:

1) Install RetroArch to your PC & set it for full screen.
    2) Install two or three 'cores' from within RetroArch to start with. These are essentially dedicated emulators, some bespoke for RetroArch, some are ported. So the cores do the emulating, RetroArch itself is a frontend for the cores.
    3) Set up a nice easy game directory, and create dedicated folders for your roms (e.g. Sega MegaDrive, Sega Master System, Sega Saturn, etc).
    4) Ensure you can run the games then in RetroArch
    5) Some systems need a bios file placed in the RetroArch 'system' folder, so ensure any cores you want have the required bios files placed there.
    6) Come back here when you're at this stage :)

Master of the Universe

What do you reckon is the best way to set up CRT filters?

I have it running pretty well but it doesn't look as nice filter wise as that old MAME HLSL filter setup, so there's probably a lot more I can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I do go a bit mental with the shaders in RetroArch. I such a fussy fecker when it comes to the visuals I'll spend hours on it.
    Then get a new monitor and have to start again :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    What do you reckon is the best way to set up CRT filters?

I have it running pretty well but it doesn't look as nice filter wise as that old MAME HLSL filter setup, so there's probably a lot more I can do!

When you're running a game, say a Snes game...press F1 to go into the RA Menu. Then down near the bottom of the menu you'll see Shaders. Go into there, click load shader preset, shaders_glsl, crt, and choose one of your liking (I recommend crt-hyllian.glsl).

Depending on your screen, it should make a dramatic improvement (some sizes/resolutions give differing results). If you have a screen which is happy with a preset, happy days...click save, and you've four options then:

Save as global preset - don't choose this. It will apply the shader to EVERY system and game that RetroArch runs.
    Save as core preset - this means any game run by the chosen core, will have the above shader applied to it.
    Save as content directory preset - applies the shader to every rom loaded from the same folder the current rom is loaded from (extremely handy for cores that run consoles AND handhelds, ie, Genesis Plus GX runs GameGear and Megadrive and you'll want different shaders for handheld systems).
    Save Game Preset - applies the shader to the current game only.

^^ So whatever your needs are will determine which saving option you choose.

There's one other option, "save shader preset as"....this will create a new shader based on any customisation you've done to an existing one, so you don't overwrite the preset. You'll see in the shader menu you can change the amount of passes the shader does, you can chainlink different shaders together, change shader parameters etc. It can easily turn into a hobby unto itself, so try find a shader preset you like and make as few changes as possible if you absolutely have to make changes at all.
    Steve X2 wrote: »
    I do go a bit mental with the shaders in RetroArch. I such a fussy fecker when it comes to the visuals I'll spend hours on it.
    Then get a new monitor and have to start again :)

Rabbit hole doesn't even begin to describe the possibilities... Thankfully the tv screen I use absolutely loves crt-hylian, so I'm more than happy with using the simple preset. I tried the same preset on the smaller screen a while back, and the scanlines weren't evenly spread etc so I'm glad to be back on the bigger screen.

Master of the Universe

Ah fair play, thanks a million for that, really appreciate it.

Yeah I didn't realise the menu was only accessible once a game was fired up. I think if I'd been left with infinite time I'd never have figured that out myself :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah fair play, thanks a million for that, really appreciate it.

Yeah I didn't realise the menu was only accessible once a game was fired up. I think if I'd been left with infinite time I'd never have figured that out myself :eek:

It's a weird quirk of RA actually yeah...obviously once you realise it it's no an issue but as you say, no amount of menu searching would ever reveal it...you have to be running a game!

Rabbit hole doesn't even begin to describe the possibilities... Thankfully the tv screen I use absolutely loves crt-hylian, so I'm more than happy with using the simple preset. I tried the same preset on the smaller screen a while back, and the scanlines weren't evenly spread etc so I'm glad to be back on the bigger screen.

I went for custom profiles. Basically stealing stuff from the defaults and other people online and tweaking them to give me the look I want(no need to fully re-invent the wheel:)). In the end I only really use 2 shader profiles, one for the 240p consoles(BVM/PVM look, but a bit less blurry) and another one for the consoles I upscale to HD/4k(DC, PSX, N64, GC, Wii etc).

You do need a reasonable graphics card when you really get into it. I tried my profiles on an older Nvidia GTX 1050 and it crawled along, but on the RTX 2080 ti its butter smooth.

^^ I don't use RetroArch for GameCube or Wii - standalone Dolphin for those, tied into LaunchBox so its seamless. I also don't use ANY shaders for PSX, N64 or DC...with the internal upscaling available on those cores I prefer a high resolution & clean look to them

You do need a half decent card to run some of the higher end shaders alright, crt-royale comes to mind (it does several passes). Your 2080Ti is probably laughing at RetroArch though :D

• Advertisement

^^ I don't use RetroArch for GameCube or Wii - standalone Dolphin for those, tied into LaunchBox so its seamless. I also don't use ANY shaders for PSX, N64 or DC...with the internal upscaling available on those cores I prefer a high resolution & clean look to them

You do need a half decent card to run some of the higher end shaders alright, crt-royale comes to mind (it does several passes). Your 2080Ti is probably laughing at RetroArch though :D

You're right on the Gamecube and Wii, i dont use RetroArch either(not sure what I was on about :)).
    I thought my 2080ti was the business until i started playing the Flight Sim 2020 beta! That game certainly puts your GPU in its place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, if I am going to buy something cheap for emulation duties, what sort of PC should I be looking for?

I have never dipped my toes into anything more sophisticated than Playstation emulation, so bear that in mind!

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I thought my 2080ti was the business until i started playing the Flight Sim 2020 beta! That game certainly puts your GPU in its place.

A visual monster of a game that! Watched the Digital Foundry video on it a while back, hugely impressive.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, if I am going to buy something cheap for emulation duties, what sort of PC should I be looking for?

I have never dipped my toes into anything more sophisticated than Playstation emulation, so bear that in mind!

For PS1 and below, you really don't need much at all. For a few bells & whistles like shaders, run-ahead, etc....that's where a small bit of extra power would do you. You don't really need proper horsepower up until PS2, PS3, etc

What are you looking for specificaly, a box under the tv? A pc at a desk? Something for your cab?

A visual monster of a game that! Watched the Digital Foundry video on it a while back, hugely impressive.

Yes it looks great. I'm currently in the process of building a new PC with the intention of sticking whatever Nvidia come out with on Sept 1st. I used to be a big flight sim fan, and FS 2020 has pulled me back in big time.

For PS1 and below, you really don't need much at all. For a few bells & whistles like shaders, run-ahead, etc....that's where a small bit of extra power would do you. You don't really need proper horsepower up until PS2, PS3, etc

What are you looking for specificaly, a box under the tv? A pc at a desk? Something for your cab?

I don't think it'll go in the cab, at least not yet, might be nice to run some of the Wii/GC/DC stuff on the TV

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Might be interesting to some. Pinball emulation has come a long way. This table came out today

The new Ashens video gave me several laughs!
    Relevant to general emulation also.

I don't think it'll go in the cab, at least not yet, might be nice to run some of the Wii/GC/DC stuff on the TV

You've a LOT of options Cidey. Just keep in mind that the more you spend, the better the hardware, the better the emulation experience will be (run-ahead, shaders, speed/framerates, upscaling, etc).

If I were you, I'd look at the second hand market for a basic pc. With a relatively basic cpu, few gigs of ram, and a low end gpu....you'll be able to run most stuff with a few bells & whistles. Check out ETA Prime's youtube channel, he covers this type of thing often enough. Here's one example of a cheap as chips, hide in a cabinet pc that handles itself very well (runs a dedicated emulation OS, so no windows overhead....the downside being it's best for emulating 2d systems.) For a few quid more, the more systems open up to you like PS2, GC, Wii, etc

You've a LOT of options Cidey. Just keep in mind that the more you spend, the better the hardware, the better the emulation experience will be (run-ahead, shaders, speed/framerates, upscaling, etc).

If I were you, I'd look at the second hand market for a basic pc. With a relatively basic cpu, few gigs of ram, and a low end gpu....you'll be able to run most stuff with a few bells & whistles. Check out ETA Prime's youtube channel, he covers this type of thing often enough. Here's one example of a cheap as chips, hide in a cabinet pc that handles itself very well (runs a dedicated emulation OS, so no windows overhead....the downside being it's best for emulating 2d systems.) For a few quid more, the more systems open up to you like PS2, GC, Wii, etc

I know this is a lazy approach, but could you point me at a couple of examples on Adverts?

• Advertisement

I know this is a lazy approach, but could you point me at a couple of examples on Adverts?

What kind of budget are you planning?

Advertisement