Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

eagle eye wrote: »
    I still fully expect Stidham to be the starter. Cam Newton hasn't looked the same player for a while now.
    I don't understand the move outside of it being a public relations exercise with the #blacklivesmatter and all that.

This post makes absolutely no sense to me.

Putting aside his MVP season, as he is unlikely to reach those heights again, and ignoring the couple of injury-ravaged games last season, Newton would slot in as probably the best back up in the league. A definite upgrade on Hoyer. His PFF passer grade in the three seasons (2016-2018) was 70. That is solid starter territory, and before you factor in his significant upside as a runner.

His contract is reported to be closer to $1mm before incentives. I think it is a great deal for the Patriots. I have no opinion on Stidham (albeit it would be remarkable if he is the real deal) but let's just say he is set to be a diamond. The risk of him being injured and clearly there is a risk of him not being up to snuff more than justifies having a guy like Newton as back up.

Why anybody would think it has anything to do with BLM is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    All we have to go on as regards Stidham is his preseason last year. I was impressed, said it at the time and a few times since.
    It's clear he hoovered up everything he could from Brady is a very short time.

BB just signed a high profile black man in the midst of the biggest anti-racist campaign in a long time.
    I'm sure he'll work in plays that get Cam on the field but Brady wasn't forced out to sign Can Newton.

No one is suggesting that Brady was forced out for Cam??? The suggestion that he signed Cam to stay woke is ridiculous. No one is bullying Bill into any signing he doesn't want on his team.

Preseason is mini nfl. Not the nfl. Bill felt the need to pull him from an already won game. I am not sure Bill sees him as a starter yet. Maybe he feels he can mould something. I agree, you have been high on Stidham for a long time and have seen posts to that effect. I disagree with this assessment. This is evidence Bill is unsure of Stidham, not about Bill being woke of all things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Good to see us getting Cam. Had no real excitement for the season ahead but that's changed now. Still don't expect us to be Superbowl contenders but we'll see what magic BB can work.
    D9Male wrote: »
    Why anybody would think it has anything to do with BLM is beyond me.
    Have a feeling why it was mentioned myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I like the move for Cam.
    The last couple of seasons have been rough on him, he's had very little consistency from his WR group over the past 2-3 years, as a collective they have to be high up there on drops. The you look at Olsen who was always his rock and he's been on and off non stop with injuries himself.
    Compare his performances from when he had Olsen vs without, he simply couldn't rely on his receiving group to get open or catch the ball.

As impressive Stidham was in pre-season last year, it was still pre-season. He hasn't shown anything in games yet and he's going to have a new offence to learn this season same as Cam since there's very little chance that they run the same scheme minus Brady to steer it.

This move has the potential to elevate the offence next season, at worse we get a fantastic backup with a chance to use him to improve our redzone offence on a very cheap deal.

The deal makes complete sense, I dont see how anyone could possibly think this is some sort of BLM lead move

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah I have to say it’s a good deal. It’s a one year deal so certainly no risk on the pats end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Davina Many Ignoramus

Loughc wrote: »
    Yeah I have to say it’s a good deal. It’s a one year deal so certainly no risk on the pats end.
    For the money involved, it’s worth the risk. If he’s healthy (and stays healthy) he’ll definitely start and gives the Pat a good shot at winning the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Up to $7.75m cap space after getting $4m back from the AB grievance and $2.55m back from the Hernandez grievance.

Interesting to see what we do with it.

Looks like both Marcus Cannon and Dan Vitale have opted out of playing next year if the season goes ahead. Understandable I suppose given Cannon's medical history and I believe Vitale has a newborn.

Add Hightower to that list now also. He's opted out.

That'll be Hightower, Collins and Van Noy gone from our LBs from last year. Runaway leaders in terms of snap count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭me89

Add Hightower to that list now also. He's opted out.

That'll be Hightower, Collins and Van Noy gone from our LBs from last year. Runaway leaders in terms of snap count.

Add Brandon Bolden to the list

We now have over 24 million in cap space of we want to make a move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

me89 wrote: »
    Add Brandon Bolden to the list

We now have over 24 million in cap space of we want to make a move

Could a lucrative year for those that want to play!

Chung sits out too.

Not looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Just call the thing off for the year at this stage.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

It's stupid going ahead at all. Some teams already more disadvantaged than others and still at least a week before even more drop out.

Also 32 teams each with a 100 person team/backroom. 3200 people. You'd surely think the chances of at least 1 of them getting Covid over the season is practically 100%. If one team has a multiple cases they're surely conceding at least 2 games. That is a massive advantage for the other teams in their divisions.
    And tbh you'd expect players from at least 5-10 teams to test positive at some point. This is going to be an absolute shítshow of a season if it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree, should be called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Or postponed until the new year as a minimum, with a reduced schedule.

Probably easier to just cancel the season. At this point there's no pre season, so teams have to make roster cuts blindly.
    The only reason I think they havent done it already is money

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

ELM327 wrote: »
    Probably easier to just cancel the season. At this point there's no pre season, so teams have to make roster cuts blindly.
    The only reason I think they havent done it already is money

A few weeks ago you were adamant that a full league year would go ahead. At that point they'd already cut 2 preseason games and there was no sign of any agreement with players on how they'd return.

I still don't think a full season will happen but it is more likely now than it was when you said you'd bet it would take place. The current rate of players opting out of around 1% is absolutely nothing to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Foxtrol wrote: »
    A few weeks ago you were adamant that a full league year would go ahead. At that point they'd already cut 2 preseason games and there was no sign of any agreement with players on how they'd return.

I still don't think a full season will happen but it is more likely now than it was when you said you'd bet it would take place. The current rate of players opting out of around 1% is absolutely nothing to the league.

The situation is fluid, people are allowed to change their opinions

Guffy wrote: »
    The situation is fluid, people are allowed to change their opinions

Of course they can but it just seems strange when you look league wide things now look better than when that poster made their original bet that there'd be a full season.

I'd be interested in hearing the logic behind the complete reversal in mindset

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Of course they can but it just seems strange when you look league wide things now look better than when that poster made their original bet that there'd be a full season.

I'd be interested in hearing the logic behind the complete reversal in mindset
    The fact that the US has gotten a lot worse in terms of cases, and players have started to opt out.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The fact that the US has gotten a lot worse in terms of cases, and players have started to opt out.

Where we are now is exactly the direction things were trending at that point.

The difference though then was we didnt have any agreement with players to actually return and we had no idea how many would test positive on arrival. All of that has gone relatively smoothly and given that players were always going to opt out only around 1% doing so is pretty low (you'd nearly see more arrests during off-season).

Though I questioned you I'm glad more people are taking it seriously. The more the the public, players, and everyone involved with teams take it as being a risk that the season mightn't happen, the more likely it will.

Marqise Lee has opted out too. That's seven players now, no one else has more than two.

Shame really, I fancied him to make the roster and have a good year if he stayed healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

LaCosse opts out.

8th Pats player to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Is it because of all the states, mass is the best of them. But once they travel to another state it can be a **** show

https://nypost.com/2020/08/29/the-dynasty-shows-how-serious-tom-bradys-2018-thumb-injury-really-was/

This is a great read on the infamous thumb injury Brady had before the AFC Championship game against the Jaguars a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

https://nypost.com/2020/08/29/the-dynasty-shows-how-serious-tom-bradys-2018-thumb-injury-really-was/

This is a great read on the infamous thumb injury Brady had before the AFC Championship game against the Jaguars a couple of years ago.

Just read it there, wild how close Brady came to having his career ended

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Rumours Sanu has been let go
    Waste of time that was......

Rumours Sanu has been let go
    Waste of time that was......

Forget time, its the 2nd round pick we traded for him that annoys me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭me89

Forget time, its the 2nd round pick we traded for him that annoys me :mad:

It's alright, they tried a quick fix last year and it didn't work. He wasn't lighting it up in camp and it saves 6.5 million in cap space.

Advertisement