Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How good is the gear on Amazon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wouldn't be for me tbh. And I have Amazon deliveries coming every day of the week nearly.

For gear in the past I've gone local. I've gone sportsbike UK and I've also gone direct to Italy for dainese.

I wouldn't personally wear any Amazon motorcycle gear. Its cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its the hidden things in MC textiles and leather to a lesser degree that matter.
    Things like the type of material, is it actually a tested material or will it just melt and stick to you if you have a slide?
    Seams, good stuff has properly sewn seams that have hidden seams that won't just burst as soon as they see tarmac.
    Armour, cheap stuff has camping mattress material (expanded polyethylene foam) as armour better stuff has proper D3 armour that flexes but stiffens when hit hard.
    There are bargains out there but they tend to be end of line or clearance stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I prefer to wait for cut-price deals from bigger brands - it's no guarantee that it's safer/better quality but the odds are better. Most of my gear is Dainese - but I haven't paid near the RRP for any of it. All ebay, adverts.ie or sales. Still not as cheap as that amazon job though!

Edit : Also, Amazon have a serious issue with fake reviews - try to find other reviews, other forums etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its the hidden things in MC textiles and leather to a lesser degree that matter.
    Things like the type of material, is it actually a tested material or will it just melt and stick to you if you have a slide?
    Seams, good stuff has properly sewn seams that have hidden seams that won't just burst as soon as they see tarmac.
    Armour, cheap stuff has camping mattress material (expanded polyethylene foam) as armour better stuff has proper D3 armour that flexes but stiffens when hit hard.
    There are bargains out there but they tend to be end of line or clearance stuff.

and where are these bargains to be found?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

You need to be looking for gear with proper CE ratings. Most will have "CE-approved armour" but the jacket itself won't be so make sure you go and check that out. Good gear isn't all that expensive when you shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

and where are these bargains to be found?

Louis.ie
    Polo-motorrad.com
    These are two of the biggest shops in Europe, there are many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

^^ plus one on this.
    I use louis.ie for a few years now myself.
    I half fancied flying to Germany to one of their shops this summer, but, you know what happened to that idea.
    Tend to stick to shops for boots and helmets as the size can be hard to get right.
    never went near amazon as ever time I saw something I liked I got a notice saying they do not deliver to Ireland!
    Did use eBay a few times too.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Bought one of these back in the spring,
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/319526
    Couldnt fault it so far. Mind you the textile one i bought on Amazon 2 years ago I couldn't fault either. It Cost 60 Quid.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Jacket-Approved/dp/B01M0B989F/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=motorbike+jacket+profirst&qid=1596375886&sr=8-14

Advertisement