Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticking/Clicking noise from socket

• 01-08-2020 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey lads,

There's a ticking noise coming from a socket behind the TV. There's 2 sockets, ones a regular one, the other one is for cable for the sky box (not sure how to describe it). The ticking is occasional and only lasts 10-20 seconds. Is it a fire hazard?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

There shouldn't be any sort of ticking sound from it so you're right to be concerned. Do you know if the noise is coming from the power socket or the sky socket? Did it recently start or have you only just noticed it? Are the plugs or the sockets warm or hot to touch?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Account1 wrote: »
    Is it a fire hazard?

Possibly, the socket could be arcing. Switch the MCB off immediately and get an electrician to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Account1

There shouldn't be any sort of ticking sound from it so you're right to be concerned. Do you know if the noise is coming from the power socket or the sky socket? Did it recently start or have you only just noticed it? Are the plugs or the sockets warm or hot to touch?

Only noticed it now. 90% sure it's from sky satellite socket. Nothing's hot though.

Cerco wrote: »
    Are you sure it is the socket and not the sky box?

The sky box isn't acting funny though so I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Possibly, the socket could be arcing. Switch the MCB off immediately and get an electrician to check it out.

Would arcing be constant because it hasn't happened since like noon today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Depends on the load.

I never heard of a Sky box ticking, maybe that is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

kill the power the socket at the consumer unit. Remove the 2 screws from the socket faceplate. Check the L & N connection points are correctly fitted & tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

A neighbour of mine had a fire recently in the external meter box.

This fire did some serious damage to the house proper also.

I contacted Electric Networks Ireland and, asked to have my connection checked for safety. AS I was not an ESB customer they refused -saying that they were only responsible for "meter" faults and, I should contact my supplier.
    Contacted my supplier who were helpful but, said they had no procedure for contacting Networks Ireland for such a problem but, they would try some method.

Are Electric Networks not an independant company and responsible for the infrastructure as far as the meter or, are they still an arm of ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

They’re called ESB Networks and are part of the ESB. Your supplier has nothing to do with wiring at all. They just sell electricity.

https://esbnetworks.ie/

Call a registered electrician and have it assessed. If the fault occurred on wiring carried out by ESB, it’s their problem.

You need to start with an electrician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

They’re called ESB Networks and are part of the ESB. Your supplier has nothing to do with wiring at all. They just sell electricity.

https://esbnetworks.ie/

Call a registered electrician and have it assessed. If the fault occurred on wiring carried out by ESB, it’s their problem.

You need to start with an electrician.

Thanks for that info

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    Thanks for that info

If you rang Electric Ireland I could understand the response as they’re just a supplier of electricity. They’re owned by ESB but they operate like Energia, SSE Airtricitiy, etc etc - they just sell kWh.

Ring ESB Networks and have your MPRN from the top of your bill.

Faults and emergencies: 1850 372 999

They’re the distribution system operator regardless of who you buy your power from and they own the meter.

As for the socket ticking - trip the MCB, ensure the power is definitely off. Then check for loose or burnt wires.

If it’s coming from the satellite socket rather than the mains power I could only suggest perhaps there’s an insect in the socket or something is moving, like an unsecured cable on the wall outside blowing in the wind?

The sky box itself has a hard drive and fans so it’s possibly the source of noise as there are moving parts.

Advertisement