Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best lures for grand canal

• 27-07-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just back into fishing recently, started on the grand canal tried 3 or 4 times but I have had no luck would anyone be able to recommend good lures for catching pike and perch with thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Just back into fishing recently, started on the grand canal tried 3 or 4 times but I have had no luck would anyone be able to recommend good lures for catching pike and perch with thanks

Generally solf plastics are your best bet fished on a jig head or drop shoting. Savage gear do some decent sets for about 30 euro which would have everything you need.

Old classics such as mepps, spoons and rapalas will always pull a few fish aswell.

For the perch try jigging close to structure ie walls, lock gates etc as they and pike are ambush predators.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Devanmccann

Generally solf plastics are your best bet fished on a jig head or drop shoting. Savage gear do some decent sets for about 30 euro which would have everything you need.

Old classics such as mepps, spoons and rapalas will always pull a few fish aswell.

For the perch try jigging close to structure ie walls, lock gates etc as they and pike are ambush predators.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, what Rapalas would you use, also could you send me a link to some of the baits that are ideal for it please , thanks very much!

Thanks for the reply, what Rapalas would you use, also could you send me a link to some of the baits that are ideal for it please , thanks very much!

Depends on depth of the canal. Rapala shallow diving minnow in a brown trout pattern is deadly for perch.

https://www.rapala.com/eu-en/content/perch-articles/perch-recommendations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

As someone pointed out drop shot is very popular now with great results.
    On the canal I use minnow lures just under the surface with alot of jigging action.
    Tasmanian devil has worked well for me a few times. But can't beat a good mepps

• Advertisement
Advertisement