Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

phatkev wrote: »
    So the Jamal Adams saga has ended

Pros: 2 firsts a third and a player is a serious haul for a player that has openly said they want to leave NY for the last 6 months
    I dont think Adams would have made a huge difference to the amount of games won or lost over the next two years
    Dont have to deal with any hold out drama

Cons: Have lost an All pro talent
    Next years draft is still up in the air seen as there may not be a college season this year
    Tipping point seemed to come after Adams publicly gave out about Gase/Johnsons (I'd always side with the player when its between and these 3 idiots!)

Definitely a great haul for the Jets but doesn't say much for the organisation when their only all pro talent wants out after just 3 seasons. There are reasons for optimism with Sam at QB and Douglas at GM but unfortunately we are still stuck with Gase as head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Pros: 2 firsts a third and a player is a serious haul for a player that has openly said they want to leave NY for the last 6 months
    I dont think Adams would have made a huge difference to the amount of games won or lost over the next two years

Next years draft is still up in the air seen as there may not be a college season this year
    Tipping point seemed to come after Adams publicly gave out about Gase/Johnsons (I'd always side with the player when its between and these 3 idiots!)

It's absolutely as good as it could have gone I think. Seahawks should be happy enough too.

Another Pro there, we're also getting a capable starter in his place too, takes away some of the panic of having to shove ashtyn davis straight in from day 1. Also, GM looks competent again which is nice.

If Gase gets dumped during the year this year (likely imo), new HC comes in to a fairly nice situation, 5 picks in the first 3 rounds next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Getting more than the price of Khalil Mack for any defensive back is pretty amazing imo.

Getting more than the price of Khalil Mack for any defensive back is pretty amazing imo.

Agreed, although in fairness, of all places to go Seattle is pretty ideal, they're one of the few teams who place so much value in their safeties like us (them by game plan, us because we had no pass rush pressure from anywhere else). It's a good fit all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

hots wrote: »
    It's absolutely as good as it could have gone I think. Seahawks should be happy enough too.

Another Pro there, we're also getting a capable starter in his place too, takes away some of the panic of having to shove ashtyn davis straight in from day 1. Also, GM looks competent again which is nice.

If Gase gets dumped during the year this year (likely imo), new HC comes in to a fairly nice situation, 5 picks in the first 3 rounds next year...

If there's a draft.

I hate the fact Adam's is gone. No one on the Jets either side of the ball scares you as an opponent. It's not like this team's had an oversupply of great talent over the decades. Draft picks with this team are a crapshoot, too (Adams, yes. Darnold TBD. Marcus Maye maybe, hurt too much).

Having lived in Seattle for 10 years, Adams will do fine. The fans there are extremely patient and supportive of the team. Having won a Superbowl, the team can practically do no wrong as far as they're concerned. They're jumping for joy over Adams as well they should. If he plays his cards right, he can retire from the team (though, even Richard Sherman left and he was a huge fan favorite.)

Too many years too few championships. Most of us on this thread don't remember back when the Jets won the Superbowl - I do, but I was a kid and became a fan. I want another before Covid gets me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't see that as being the tipping point, I'd say it was much more likely that the Seahawks upped their offer so they can get him in for the start of camp.

Adams had previously voiced his annoyance so it wasn't like it was a new thing. When you obviously aren't in contention and you get that type of offer for a DB you're not going to be able to keep happy then you take it. I'd say the Jets couldn't believe their luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I don't see that as being the tipping point, I'd say it was much more likely that the Seahawks upped their offer so they can get him in for the start of camp.

Adams had previously voiced his annoyance so it wasn't like it was a new thing. When you obviously aren't in contention and you get that type of offer for a DB you're not going to be able to keep happy then you take it. I'd say the Jets couldn't believe their luck.

He'd never said anything about the Johnson's up until 2 days before he got traded though. Obviously the deal was seriously good value for the Jets and they were never going to turn it down. Just feel likes its a little more than a coincidence that article comes out and then a couple of days latter he's gone

So, even the Jets owner can get bad publicity. Always bad news with this team (from the NY Times online):
    The American ambassador to Britain rejected accusations that he made racially or sexually inappropriate comments toward employees at the U.S. Embassy in London.

WASHINGTON — The American ambassador to Britain, Robert Wood Johnson IV, urged State Department investigators against publicly reporting allegations that he made sexually or racially inappropriate comments to embassy staff, according to a report released on Wednesday.

The report, the product of a routine inspection of the U.S. diplomatic mission to Britain that was conducted over a three-month period in the fall, recommended that officials at the State Department’s headquarters review Mr. Johnson’s conduct.

But the senior diplomat overseeing European issues in Washington indicated he would not open a new investigation of the findings and said Mr. Johnson has since watched a video about workplace harassment and could receive additional training to prevent violations of employees’ civil rights.

It was not clear if Secretary of State Mike Pompeo or other top leaders would demand an additional inquiry amid a groundswell from American diplomats who are women or people of color and say they have been sidelined at a department that promotes equal rights and civil liberties around the world.

The final report from the State Department’s Office of Inspector General said that staff at the American Embassy in London had reported being subject to “inappropriate or insensitive comments” by Mr. Johnson on topics that may have included references to “religion, sex, or color.” It did not provide specific examples of his remarks.

Several current and former American diplomats have told The New York Times that Mr. Johnson, a pharmaceutical heir who owns the New York Jets, often made female and Black staff members uncomfortable with comments about their appearances or race after he took up his post in London in November 2017.

Some staff members attributed some of Mr. Johnson’s behavior to his age and social status. But others said they were also distressed by suggestions that they were disloyal to President Trump or the United States when they resisted his directives.

The inspector general’s office reported low morale among embassy employees, some of whom said Mr. Johnson had questioned their motives, or implied he would remove them from their jobs, for raising concerns about some of his ideas.

“This caused staff to grow wary of providing him with their best judgment,” the report found. It also cited Mr. Johnson’s “demanding, hard driving work style” as contributing to morale problems.

The final report calls for the State Department’s Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs to coordinate with the department’s Office of Civil Rights to examine Mr. Johnson’s conduct, “and based on the results of the review, take appropriate action.”

In a May 27 letter to the inspector general’s office, Mr. Johnson, who is known by his nickname Woody, said he rejected the conclusion that he may have violated the civil rights of embassy employees.

He also said that, since no employee had filed a formal complaint against him, inspectors should reconsider “including the recommendation in the final report and concluding that my actions have negatively affected morale.”

“If I have unintentionally offended anyone in the execution of my duties, I deeply regret that, but I do not accept that I have treated employees with disrespect or discriminated in any way,” Mr. Johnson wrote in his response to inspectors, which was included in the report.

It was the only one of the report’s 22 recommendations that drew pushback from embassy leadership.

In his own response, Philip T. Reeker, the acting assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian Affairs, said he did not believe that a review of Mr. Johnson’s conduct was necessary.

Mr. Reeker noted that Mr. Johnson had received praise from some employees for hosting coffee gatherings and events at Winfield House, the ambassador’s official residence, for embassy staff.

“Ambassador Johnson is well aware of his responsibility to set the right tone for his mission and we believe his actions demonstrate that,” Mr. Reeker wrote in an undated letter to the inspector general’s office.

“We do not believe a formal assessment is required,” Mr. Reeker concluded, but said that all staff, including the ambassador, would be given additional training “to heighten awareness on these important issues.” He also said Mr. Johnson has since watched a department video on workplace harassment.

The inspector general’s office dismissed Mr. Reeker’s response and said it would consider the matter “unresolved” until his office ensured the complaints were properly investigated and addressed, as required by State Department policy.

The complaints about Mr. Johnson began soon after he arrived in London.

One Black female diplomat told colleagues that Mr. Johnson disparaged her efforts to schedule events for Black History Month, asking her whether he would have to address an audience that was “just a bunch of Black people.” He told the diplomat, who later left the Foreign Service, that she was “marginalizing” herself.

After a visit by the education secretary, Betsy DeVos, Mr. Johnson lashed out at his staff for arranging a reception at his residence that included teenagers, some of whom were people of color who had won scholarships to make recruiting visits to American universities.

At his weekly staff meeting, Mr. Johnson once pointed out to colleagues that he had seen a female employee working out in the embassy’s gym that morning. He joined an exclusive men’s club in London, White’s, that does not allow women, and as a result, did not invite the embassy’s female political affairs counselor, but rather her male deputy, when he held business lunches there.

A State Department spokesman declined to comment on whether Mr. Pompeo or other top officials would review the allegations, as the inspector general’s office recommended. But in a statement, the department said Mr. Johnson had served “honorably and professionally.”

“We stand by Ambassador Johnson and look forward to him continuing to ensure our special relationship with the U.K. is strong,” the statement said.

The report does not mention a separate controversy that surfaced last month about Mr. Johnson: that he told multiple colleagues in February 2018 that Mr. Trump had asked him to see if the British government could help steer the world-famous and lucrative British Open golf tournament to the Trump Turnberry resort in Scotland.

Instead, the report found that Mr. Johnson’s diplomatic efforts with officials in Britain “were consistent” with State Department policy. It said the embassy’s top focus under Mr. Johnson was to help develop new bilateral trade and security agreements as Britain prepared to leave the European Union.

Investigators previously told The Times that concerns about the golf tournament were not raised by staff during interviews at the embassy in London or consulates elsewhere in Britain from September to December 2019.

Even as news reports about Mr. Johnson’s treatment of his staff and efforts to help Mr. Trump relocate the British Open to his own property were about to surface, the ambassador was unapologetic about his loyalty to the president.

On July 21, Mr. Johnson played host at a dinner for Mr. Pompeo and top British officials, at which he served wine from Mr. Trump’s vineyard in Virginia. He was serving it, he joked, even though he knew it might be ethically improper.

The embassy later said that Mr. Johnson paid for the wine himself.

Lara Jakes reported from Washington, and Mark Landler from London.
    ---

The guy is a gob****e, thankfully the one good thing about him being a Trump buddy was him moving away from any day to day involvement with us.

hots wrote: »
    The guy is a gob****e, thankfully the one good thing about him being a Trump buddy was him moving away from any day to day involvement with us.

Unfortunately it just resulted in him handing it over to his equally incompetent baby brother

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it just resulted in him handing it over to his equally incompetent baby brother

He seems like slightly less of a tool though, or at least a quieter one/

Training camp is back and it looks like the season will get started at least. However the jets injury problems are back early particularly at WR. While the injuries appear minor it's worth remembering Herndon missed nearly all or last season with a hamstring and Mosely was the same with a groin injury. There have been some changes on the training staff so hopefully things will improve. Signing an ageing Chris Hogan will hardly improve things much and it makes you wonder why they only drafted 1 WR in what was reputed to be a very deep draft at that position. On a personal note I was dissapointed to see Anthony Cioffi cut as he comes from Springfield NJ where my brother lives and went to high school with my nieces. Had read in a few places he had a shot at the 4th safety slot. By the way the food at his parents deli is some of the best Italian food you will get anywhere if you are ever in the area.

Smith had surgery and will be out for a couple of months. Hogan is a desperate enough signing, I'd expect us to be sniffing around roster cuts very closely for the next few weeks.

The starting #Jets offense, working against the backups, had six possessions. They scored 0 points, turned it over three times (INT, two fumbles), punted three times and picked up five total first downs.

Starting D wasn’t any better.

Final score
    Backups: 27
    Starters: 0

Copied this from tweet about Jets scrimmage today. Things are not looking good with Gase's offense again. Apparently he is refusing to use Bell properly again and pulled him out of the scrimmage due to tight hamstrings which Bell says is not the case. Also Gase is gushing about 37 yr old Frank Gore who he will probably give at least equal carrys to. There seems to be no plan to throw to Bell either from the backfield or with him flexed out wide. It is a terrible shame because Bell could be a useful weapon for Sam if used correctly. Also if you have any experience playing WR keep your phone on because the Jets might need you!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

The starting #Jets offense, working against the backups, had six possessions. They scored 0 points, turned it over three times (INT, two fumbles), punted three times and picked up five total first downs.

Starting D wasn’t any better.

Final score
    Backups: 27
    Starters: 0

Copied this from tweet about Jets scrimmage today. Things are not looking good with Gase's offense again. Apparently he is refusing to use Bell properly again and pulled him out of the scrimmage due to tight hamstrings which Bell says is not the case. Also Gase is gushing about 37 yr old Frank Gore who he will probably give at least equal carrys to. There seems to be no plan to throw to Bell either from the backfield or with him flexed out wide. It is a terrible shame because Bell could be a useful weapon for Sam if used correctly. Also if you have any experience playing WR keep your phone on because the Jets might need you!

Agree with all of this, Bell was wasted last year with touches, he seems to be the hype man on social media now that Adams is gone. One of my favourite NFL players ever and not being utilised in a squad that needs him! I fully expect Gore to have as many touches per game as him under Gase.

Perriman and Crowder should be regular solid starters (didn't even know we signed Hogan!) but Bell has the X factor and big play possibilities.

In a strange move the Jets have traded a late round conditional pick for RB Kalen Ballage who the Dolphins were about to release. Apparently he's a Gase guy but the Jets are well stacked already at RB. Makes no sense when the major hole is at WR. It remains to be seen but it smells like Gase getting more of his guys on the roster to prove he doesn't need Bell. I would have hoped Douglas had more roster control and we wouldn't have rubbish like this going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Gase goes for a Miami guy he knows. I hate to bet against the Jets but the season under on wins looks more promising every day.

franglan wrote: »
    Gase goes for a Miami guy he knows. I hate to bet against the Jets but the season under on wins looks more promising every day.

I'd take that now if it meant no more Gase next year

7th round conditional and it's fine tbh, we have 3 fit RBs on the roster and the 4th guy is nothing to write home about and carrying an injury. The more annoying thing is going to be when/if gase doesn't use any of these guys as receiving backs or flexing them to the slot. With the state of our WRs Bell in the slot every play would be an upgrade.

Season starts today folks! I think this this year more than ever my early season optimism is almost non existent. I think the Jets simply dont have the talent to compete this year. All fans are probably guilty of over estimating their own players and when you compare the Jets to other rosters they simply dont measure up. My prediction is 4-10 with a best case scenario of 7 wins. Interested to hear what others think.

• Advertisement

Exact same here, 4-7, most likely 4 or 5. There some potential in the team but there's a load of dross. Best you can hope for is Darnold looks good in the areas he can control, Becton and Mims look serviceable and something to build around and the defense finished somewhere around ~16th or better in the rankings at the end of the year. Oh and I'd love to see Herndon come back with a bang. I've an awful feeling about Bell and I'm fully expecting him and Mosely to be shipped next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Another non-optimistic Jet here. Once we are in games I'll be happy enough, can't really see past 5 wins during a regular season but with covid cases you never know how any team will be week to week so will play a part.

I put them down as a 3 win team, extremely tough schedule coupled with a few trips to the west coast is a recipe for disaster! I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong but I just cant see where the wins are going to come from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Best case 9-7 and we sneak into the playoffs as the 7th seed
    Worst case 3-13
    I think we will be somewhere in between so I will go with 5-11.

We really need to come out of this season knowing what we have in Darnold. We know already he's not a bust, but we don't know if he can win us divisions never mind get the team to a SB.
    Hopefully he can complete the full 16 and cut down those games were he goes into meltdown mode.

Gase will be fired but honestly I don't think a change in HC or even the GM (in a year or two) will fix any issues.
    We have had a decade of misery (save the Fitz/BMarsh season) since the 10/11 AFC Championship game.
    I really hope the Johnsons sell the franchise. Even disregarding all that racist, sexist carry on from Woody, him and his brother are clueless. I'm currently reading the new book on the Patriots Dynasty and although he's a complete slime ball, the lengths Robert Kraft went to to get the Patriots to where they are now were crazy. He really loves the area, the fans, the players and the team.
    The Johnsons are easily at the bottom of the 32 owners list.

Who knows - Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised! :pac:

I think the johnsons worst impact on the franchise is behind them. Thankfully Woody handed the controls over and everything from camp seems to be going out of their way to praise the org. The difficult thing is try to repair years and years of damage. I reckon gase goes in the off-season next year, Covid might save him during the season, although Williams coming up as interim wouldn't be the worst. Early GM signs look good, I hope he's given plenty of time and a proper shot at it.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    We really need to come out of this season knowing what we have in Darnold. We know already he's not a bust, but we don't know if he can win us divisions never mind get the team to a SB.
    Hopefully he can complete the full 16 and cut down those games were he goes into meltdown mode.

I dont think this will be answered as along as Gase is in charge of the team

7-9 because I'm a diehard having suffered for so many years with this team. Maybe catch a little luck for once, that'd be a rare thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Have looked at the schedule there, Jets mightnt win a game after the bye honestly its that bad. Thing is before the bye I don't know where the first win is coming. Potentially Colts week 3 or Broncos week 4. Just think all over the field Jets are so weak this year. Always the same talk some guy had a great camp but he's a borderline starter who has come in as a free agent he's hardly the offensive line saviour even with a "great camp". Watching Gase's team last year was depressing. You could literally call the play before they broke from the huddle. Crowder, Perriman and Mimms who I do like from what limited college ball I saw is what Sam has to throw to. Mims for all the hype while noting a stacked WR draft was past on by most teams twice, so if he sees modest production year one - great. In fairness Herdon back is a big addition just think Jets have so many weaknesses to pick apart by any team looking at the playoffs. Very limited at CB, nothing really in terms of linebacker, jury still out with Quinnen Williams - minimal QB pressure on that defensive line, a patched together offensive line. Can't see Sam looking particular pretty again this year with the supporting cast, meaning the jury may well be out on him post year 3.

Yeah O Line is a massive question mark, there's some guys earning big money on it this year but largely cuttable (Fant especially) so you've got to hope that's a decent motivator to effectively try and earn the rest of the contract. D Line is strong and fairly deep, but with too many guys filling the same spots. Surprised Henry Anderson stayed. The lads behind McLendon & Q are all capable but only good backups, maybe Franklin Myers kicks on? Carrying Huff was a surprise so looking forward to seeing him, there's so little competition on the edge maybe he takes snaps away from Basham or Willis or something?

• Advertisement

Just wondering how are people going to watch Jets games live this year. My go to option from last season has been shutdown. I know we cant discuss anything illegal here so if anyone has any legal options please post them (other options please PM me). I would be interested in peoples experience with game pass in Ireland as there is an asterisk that says blackouts may apply in UK and Ireland.

Advertisement