Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Right, so they went and did it. Someone was always bound to, and try to fill in the backstory for the sake of a new direction. A bit of a mess, too much exposition but it was obviously trying to set the plate. Honestly I'm kinda impressed how the production has basically side stepped the pressure of casting by saying the Doc has been any range you can imagine (except ginger though, or did I miss an incarnation?). I wonder will we start seeing more "pre Hartnell" Docs. Technically there are now 2 current, live incarnations.

What we got is no less bonkers, and far less fanwànky than that whole "The Other" arc from the 90s book range, and the idea of an entire different existence pre Hartnell opens up some new avenues all right. I'm guessing The Division are going to be Who's Section 31; the secret covert ops types who went around the universe shaping worlds, with the Doc getting scrubbed when their role was complete. Which tracks with the more aggressive, combative doctor we met during the season, she seemed more War Doctor than a normal one.

And yeah. That Master grew on me. Utterly unhinged with a bit of a death wish, that's a neat take in the end. Still bummed it removes the effect of Missy's arc, but what we got worked in the end.

I'm curious to see where this goes. A bit messy but the show couldn't keep skirting around the Docs past and Gallifreys constant death and resurrection. They've picked a path at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I sometimes catch previous episodes on one of the Sky channels at the weekend and find myself watching them again. I don't think there are any of the past 2 seasons that I would be fussed rewatching

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    What we got is no less bonkers, and far less fanwànky than that whole "The Other" arc from the 90s book range
    I liked that arc. Admittedly, I was a teenager so it seemed cool but a part of me hoped that they'd go with the Looms part too.
    and the idea of an entire different existence pre Hartnell opens up some new avenues all right. I'm guessing The Division are going to be Who's Section 31; the secret covert ops types who went around the universe shaping worlds, with the Doc getting scrubbed when their role was complete.
    A spin off of the CIA of Galllifrey? If Chibs continues into his fan stuff here, I wonder if he'd tie it into the whole Season 6b stuff.
    Which tracks with the more aggressive, combative doctor we met during the season, she seemed more War Doctor than a normal one.
    I quite liked her. I'd be happy to see more of her - she's got strong screen presence.

I actually thought this season was a pretty big step up from an admittedly low bar. Yes, it preached a bit too heavily at times to a degree that might make a DC CW writer roll their eyes but it had an arc, it gave the Doctor a bit more depth and allowed JW to flex her muscles more. They didn't need to spend time on some rather bland companion sub stories like they did last year and instead they just worked together. There's still too many of them mind you - just keep Graham and dump the rest.
    I'm more hopeful than I was at the end of Season 37 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ixoy wrote: »
    There's still too many of them mind you - just keep Graham and dump the rest.

Don't read the spoiler above then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I liked that arc. Admittedly, I was a teenager so it seemed cool but a part of me hoped that they'd go with the Looms part too.

Same here, think that range had its ups and down; an author whose work I currently enjoy - Ben Aaronovitch - wrote one of its worse novels, "Transit ", which was the range at its most adolescent or puerile. I recall the subsequent range from the BBC went even further into labyrinthine Time Lord plots, with "Faction Paradox" and its leader, a corrupted version of the 8th Doctor, infected when the 3rd Doctor died too early in his timeline (it's complicated lol).

It's a ballsy move to try and split the difference here: keeping the Doctor's inherent mystery (assuming she doesn't attempt to find that artefact by which she was found), while bringing back the character's mythic quality, albeit in a more specific manner. No wonder the Doc was always such a key figure in Time Lord society - he/she was the literal foundation of it.

It also can retroactively explain why the Doctor always wanted to leave; they were never truly part of that society, never even from Gallifrey at all. At first I wasn't sure what to make of this Big Change, but the more I'm thinking about it, the more it kinda fits into what we already know.

Also also, props to the cameo of Brain of Morbius, where Chibnall has now brought that infamous "future faces of the Doctor" moment into canon. They weren't future faces, they were past ones :D
    I quite liked her. I'd be happy to see more of her - she's got strong screen presence.

It's weird: I wasn't blown away by her appearances, but then her total screentime was probably less than that of most Doctor's pilot stories, so it's not that fair to judge her on less time than others usually get. Now, if we could get a multi-doctor story with both women, and maybe Smith, Capaldi or Tenant? That'd be fun..
    I actually thought this season was a pretty big step up from an admittedly low bar. Yes, it preached a bit too heavily at times to a degree that might make a DC CW writer roll their eyes but it had an arc, it gave the Doctor a bit more depth and allowed JW to flex her muscles more. They didn't need to spend time on some rather bland companion sub stories like they did last year and instead they just worked together. There's still too many of them mind you - just keep Graham and dump the rest.
    I'm more hopeful than I was at the end of Season 37 anyway.

I agree, think this year was much more enjoyable than last years, with some legitimately strong stories. I don't share the lament of others over "preachiness", Orphan 55 was the only truly clumsy moment of near 4th-wall breaking, but that episode was hot garbage anyway, so slight "wood for trees" stuff really. Praxeus' use of plastics actually made story sense and felt a lot more earned (aside from being a more demonstrable, bloody obvious environmental f*ck up).

Can You Heard Me, and Orphan 55 were the poorest episodes for me by far, with the rest straddling somewhere between middling, to good, to excellent. As much as it might try, I think perhaps it's time for Doctor Who to try and embrace serialisation a bit more - cos without a thread or arc, the flaws in the season mostly orbited the lack of things for its cast to do, or be involved in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Didn't know which thread to put this in.
    https://twitter.com/SophiaMyles/status/1241448025375072257?s=19

May he Rest in peace.

This is a nice gesture, fair play to Whittaker & whoever's idea it was. Always love it when the actors go that extra mile for the younger fans.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1242783288571211776

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This is a nice gesture, fair play to Whittaker & whoever's idea it was. Always love it when the actors go that extra mile for the younger fans.
    Christopher Eccleston aside, the actors playing the Doctor have always been great at engaging with their fan base.

Christopher Eccleston aside, the actors playing the Doctor have always been great at engaging with their fan base.

He's warmed a little. He was at the Gallifrey convention last month.

3 Doctors. Too bad Capaldi didn't attend to get the line of succession.
    I just skipped through but one thing they did say was the holiday special is called
    Revolution of the Daleks

at about the 19:00 mark

• Advertisement

Wouldn't generally put much stock into the Christmas specials at the best of times, but a little disappointed given what the title's pointing towards.

Am more interested how much of the big change to "canon" will be carried into the new series. And if we see much of this new-old Doctor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wouldn't generally put much stock into the Christmas specials at the best of times, but a little disappointed given what the title's pointing towards.

Am more interested how much of the big change to "canon" will be carried into the new series. And if we see much of this new-old Doctor.

With infinite regenerations, we have infinite potential Doctors too. They could keep pulling that trick out.

With infinite regenerations, we have infinite potential Doctors too. They could keep pulling that trick out.

Hopefully not too much mind you; feels like the kind of trick best used sparingly. Like, I'm going to just presume at least one Big Twist will be the Big Bad turning out to be a fallen version of the Doctor. When to bring back Jo Martin will be an interesting conundrum too, given it'd be weird if a supporting character - who's also technically the main character - upstaged the nominated version of the main character...

I still smirk at how Chibnall effectively shut the door on the whole "the Doctor should be X" soapbox by declaring the character just had countless regens before we ever met him first. The finale itself was so-so, but that decision remains crazy-genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hopefully not too much mind you; feels like the kind of trick best used sparingly. Like, I'm going to just presume at least one Big Twist will be the Big Bad turning out to be a fallen version of the Doctor.

finally, my time to shine! :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I still smirk at how Chibnall effectively shut the door on the whole "the Doctor should be X" soapbox by declaring the character just had countless regens before we ever met him first. The finale itself was so-so, but that decision remains crazy-genius.

Is this a joke?

Pissing on 50+ years of cannon so Chibs can push his own agenda is "crazy-genius" ?

The stories, writing and acting have been piss poor for the last few seasons.
    Overlooking that because the agenda seems so enlightened is crazy minus the genius

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

WARNING - DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE 8 HOURS OF YOUR LIFE JUST WENT

https://www.doctorwho.tv/games/thirteen

fritzelly wrote: »
    WARNING - DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE 8 HOURS OF YOUR LIFE JUST WENT

https://www.doctorwho.tv/games/thirteen

Yeah its good fun cheers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Master wrote: »
    Is this a joke?

Pissing on 50+ years of cannon so Chibs can push his own agenda is "crazy-genius" ?

The stories, writing and acting have been piss poor for the last few seasons.
    Overlooking that because the agenda seems so enlightened is crazy minus the genius

Maybe the next showrunner will write something to show it was all a hoax. I am not accepting it into my head-canon anyway. It's so lazy and throwaway. I fecking hate it. And no one is tireder than I of the trufan whinge-brigade. As if anything could ever shut those wet blankets up. :pac:

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Maybe the next showrunner will write something to show it was all a hoax. I am not accepting it into my head-canon anyway. It's so lazy and throwaway. I fecking hate it. And no one is tireder than I of the trufan whinge-brigade. As if anything could ever shut those wet blankets up. :pac:

Yeah see this brings up an interesting point: If you were one of the people moaning from the start about 13, why should anyone trust your opinion? The people who were going "wait and see" and are now "I'm not sure about this" are the honest ones :D

And honestly, there's been 5, maybe 6 good episodes of the new series, so I'm not defending it. BUT...

Things change in sci fi. Like, all the time. People were in uproar at the first regeneration. People didn't want Matt Smith, people didn't want Peter Davison. In all sci fi that lasts across the world, things change, or they go stale and die. The example I usually use is the X-Men: The version of them everyone loves was the result of a huge, radical shake up, bringing in all kinds of representation and the likes. It's remembered, though, because it was done really well.

Sometimes, when they try something different, you get Trial of a Timelord. Sometimes, you get the Tennant run. I am not confident we got an all new X-Men on our hands here.

(Also tbh I kinda like Trial of a Timelord, screw the haters)

Oh I hated Matt Smith when he was announced, and I think my rant is on this very forum. I'm not proud of the knee-jerk opinion but Smith changed my mind within about 30 minutes of his first appearance.

Whittaker I think suffers from being "the first": that there was a reluctance to allow or write 13 as anything other than "generic Doctor" precisely because Chibnall wanted to keep things as safe as possible, to head off as much of the inevitable "not my Doctor" backlash as possible. Rightly or wrongly there was a lot resting on this big change. Of course the backlash still came, so maybe they should have simply let Whittaker off the hook. There's fair argument that many moments in even the properly good stories (eg, Praxeus) where you hear Smith or Capaldi's Doctor, not Whittakers.

Then again, maybe she's not that kind of actor either - you do need to be a bit mad to play the part, perhaps she just doesn't have that X Factor madness. Jo Martin, even if she had about 20 minutes screentime, gave off a distinct cocky swagger - shades of 6th Doctor done right in many ways (even down to the colourful clothes). The defining trait of 13 seems to be "she's not sure of herself", which hasn't always worked.

And TBH this new twist to the Doctor's past is no less rubbish than Lungbarrow. It's definitely the least terrible approach to the Doc's past I've seen - well, bar him being a nobody. If I have one complaint it's that it's a shame he couldn't ever "just" be a random Time Lord with wanderlust - but that ship sailed the moment RTD introduced the Time Lord Triumphant & all that operatic guff :D

• Advertisement

Oh I hated Matt Smith when he was announced, and I think my rant is on this very forum. I'm not proud of the knee-jerk opinion but Smith changed my mind within about 30 minutes of his first appearance.

Whittaker I think suffers from being "the first": that there was a reluctance to allow or write 13 as anything other than "generic Doctor" precisely because Chibnall wanted to keep things as safe as possible, to head off as much of the inevitable "not my Doctor" backlash as possible. Rightly or wrongly there was a lot resting on this big change. Of course the backlash still came, so maybe they should have simply let Whittaker off the hook. There's fair argument that many moments in even the properly good stories (eg, Praxeus) where you hear Smith or Capaldi's Doctor, not Whittakers.

Then again, maybe she's not that kind of actor either - you do need to be a bit mad to play the part, perhaps she just doesn't have that X Factor madness. Jo Martin, even if she had about 20 minutes screentime, gave off a distinct cocky swagger - shades of 6th Doctor done right in many ways (even down to the colourful clothes). The defining trait of 13 seems to be "she's not sure of herself", which hasn't always worked.

And TBH this new twist to the Doctor's past is no less rubbish than Lungbarrow. It's definitely the least terrible approach to the Doc's past I've seen - well, bar him being a nobody. If I have one complaint it's that it's a shame he couldn't ever "just" be a random Time Lord with wanderlust - but that ship sailed the moment RTD introduced the Time Lord Triumphant & all that operatic guff :D

Yeah I don't really have a problem with the reveal itself, or the changes it makes, it's no bigger a change than regeneration, or locking the Doctor to earth, or killing all the time lords, or the potential Cartmel master plan (which I was hoping they were bringing back :D ). It's a shake up, those happen. I do have issues with the programme right now though, which are down to that "who is the Doctor" plainness you mention I think.

Of course yeah; the "Doctor as godlike figure" started with McCoy & Cartmel - can't pin everything on RTD I suppose :) Though the latter definitely took the idea and blew it outwards. The mythology has felt locked into this theme forever now, I doubt you could even pare the story back into something as pedestrian "random Time Lord had a gap year" anymore.

It IS interesting how the final mystery hasn't been touched yet: Susan & the Doctor's immediate family. Passing asides here and there but outside of snogging a teenager (and leaving her with a sex toy in an alt universe), the Docs Gallifreyan love life has remained closed off. Jo Martin's human life seemed to hint at a romantic relationship with her "companion" I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

What annoys me about the revelation is that whilst The Doctor has more recently been portrayed as God like and mythical, so have the timelords as a whole whereas now The Doctor is special even amongst them. The special one or chosen one is such a cliche trope. Add to that that it was revealed in such a lazy and boring way. The writing on the last two seasons has been so dull and lacklustre. I would love to see Jodie's Doctor under a new show runner but unfortunately I don't her outstaying Chibbers.

Chibnall just isn't a strong enough writer, on that I think most here probably agree. Moffat & RTD really set the bar incredibly high and are arguably two of the strongest writers in the BBC at the time - nevermind Who. I wonder if his success at Broadchurch got him bumped up the queue, because it wasn't like his tenure at Torchwood was particularly stellar - its strongest season was headed by RTD, not Chibnall - while his single Who episodes were often stunningly OK.

It puzzled me why Toby Whithouse wasn't given the nod. He had a very successful supernatural series, Being Human, run for five series and his Doctor Who episodes were always highly rated (Vampires of Venice aside). He seemed the natural replacement to me.
    May still come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Even if it was some sort of dream world (it seems ambigious, however, Brendan appeared in the memory montage so it does seem like the Doctor at least remembers it this way now even if it was a fake memory) I am rather amused there's actually an Irish Doctor now. The Garda station even feels like a play on the Police Box.

Also amused the first time this show goes to Ireland also resulted in the show basically blowing up

Not just Irish, but ginger. Which was funny given the brief running gag of each new doctor lamenting he still wasn't ginger :D

Occono wrote: »
    Even if it was some sort of dream world (it seems ambigious, however, Brendan appeared in the memory montage so it does seem like the Doctor at least remembers it this way now even if it was a fake memory) I am rather amused there's actually an Irish Doctor now. The Garda station even feels like a play on the Police Box.

Also amused the first time this show goes to Ireland also resulted in the show basically blowing up

Also adds to the old joke about Galifrey been somewhere in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/1326631707357933573

The new season will be 8 episodes due to the restrictions.

Was watching a bit of Doctor Who today on Watch. Turned it on to see the end of Amy and Rory's last episode followed by modern Clara's first episode.
    I don't think there are many, if any, of number 13's episodes I could rewatch as easily as 10-12s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Still haven't gotten round to watching 13's second season. Found the first season totally underwhelming.

Advertisement