Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellington Eye Clinic V.S Optilase? HELP?

• 23-01-2018 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Ok, So I'm looking for some advice or recommendations.

Basically, I have decided to go ahead with Lasik and I'm torn between having the procedure in either Wellington Eye Clinic or Optilase in Dublin.

There is a cost difference between the two but I'm willing to pay the extra as long as I get the best possible treatment.

I have been for consultations in both and met the staff.
    Both places seem capable and professional.
    As far as I know both places use the same machine.
    Both places are offering me the same benefits.
    Both places can offer me a date for the procedure in the next two weeks.

I'm trying to find a difference to choose one over the other and I was hoping that somebody out in internetland who knows about this would be able to help me with a few questions.

- Is there something that I don't know and should?
    - Is there a difference in reputation between the two clinics?
    - Are there better staff (or a perception of better staff) at one rather than the other?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭halkar

I got lasik with Optilase and I recommend them highly. From the first day of consultation to surgery and follow ups they have been very friendly and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

No info on Wellington, but like the poster above I got my surgery with Optilase and have nothing but good things to say about them. I got the PRK (damn thin corneas! Lol) and had no issues, staff were brilliant, the surgeon was fantastic and aftercare was spot on! Whichever you choose it will be an amazing lifechanging op.. go with your gut, it doesn't usually let you down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Thanks for the replies guys.

I decided to go ahead with Optilase.

Roll on the 9th!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Deadly best of luck! Don't forget the sunglasses! The clinic is bright after surgery lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Just a heads up I had LASIK done in optilase today. The procedure was ridiculously straight forward, the staff and surgeon are friendly and helpful

Right now I feel good, it’s been six hours and no pain. Slight itch but little discomfort

You made the right choice, highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I can't comment on Optilase but Arthur Cummings in Wellington Clinic is exceptionally good. He is highly regarded internationally - literally the guy that other eye surgeons go to for their own eyes. He is a gentleman & genuinely patient centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

theballz wrote: »
    Just a heads up I had LASIK done in optilase today. The procedure was ridiculously straight forward, the staff and surgeon are friendly and helpful

Right now I feel good, it’s been six hours and no pain. Slight itch but little discomfort

You made the right choice, highly recommended

Nearly 24 hours on and I feel brand new

I had an okay sleep lastnight, I slept for 3 hours when I got home from the surgery so I wasn’t tired enough to sleep right through the night.

My vision now is unbelievable, I had a check up this morning and they said everything went perfect. I drove today without glasses for the first time in ten years

I cannot recommend this surgery/clinic enough.

The very best of luck with it, it’s a life changing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'd agree. Been wearing glasses since 7 and got mine done in 2012. Driving...opening the dishwasher. .kettle boiling...

Optilase too. Although mine was funny as the surgeon tripped on the stairs down to the operating place and went flying so I was afraid he was stunned. Also as we were sitting waiting there was a rugby match on and two of the people started chatting. At our check up appointment they were there and had started dating. 6 years later I'd love to know what happened but can hardly ring and ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I had Lasik done by Optilase at Ely Place 3 years ago. My eyes were -3 both and are now 20/20 both. Everything was 100%! Consultation / check, laser surgery and post care. If anyone is stuck for a referral then PM me. Also if any advice or general information is needed also feel free to PM me. Glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gillka92

Hello,

I had laser eye surgery with optilase in cork in october last year found them very good eyes are perfect after. If any one is interested I have a referral. If you give them my name and say i referred you they will give you €100 off and give me 100€ just private message me for details :) also if anyone has any questions about my experience with laser eye surgery in general I would be happy to answer them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Eegorbishcan

Hi Guys, in a similar position in that I can't find much difference between Optilase v Wellington in terms of reviewing the info I have on both, I was probably swaying towards Wellington if the truth be told but everyone here seems to be veering towards Optilase - was there that much of a cost difference between the two when you add it all up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Mine ended up being a birthday present from my dad so I don't know why the final cost ended up at. I just preferred the atmosphere in optilase. Plus appointments and aftercare quicker.

But honestly whichever you do it best thing ever. That weekend not only did I get my eyes lasered but I was operated on for a slipped disc. I felt like a bionic woman the next week!

Brilliant, thanks a million, I was waiting on a call back from wellington but gonna call optilase this morning and see if I can get a consultation

• Registered Users Posts: 4 naidan_d

Brilliant, thanks a million, I was waiting on a call back from wellington but gonna call optilase this morning and see if I can get a consultation
    did you end up going with the Wellington Clinic? I'm between Optilase and the Wellington but there seems to be more reviews for Optilase!

naidan_d wrote: »
    did you end up going with the Wellington Clinic? I'm between Optilase and the Wellington but there seems to be more reviews for Optilase!

I went with Optilase, as I was reviewing it was 50/50 with both so I didn't find anything negative against wellington either but I'd recommend Optilase and they were excellent, it was unbelievably easy, clean and they were very responsive to any questions or info I asked for in the lead up to it, aftercare was good too - if you need to know any specifics just let me know

- By the way, whatever you do just go and do it, I put it off for years but it's been amazing going back to no glasses for the last 2+ years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 naidan_d

Thanks so much! I have a consultation booked with Optilase for August so I'll see how it goes then! I've been thinking about it the last two years so I'm going to go for it this year!

Advertisement