Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A new opening manouvre

• 06-06-2020 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

All, forgive me if this is rubbish but hear me out.

I was messing around today and noticed that one half of my army was secured (ie the king to rook side) while I had moved most of the other half out (queen to other rook).

It got me thinking. Is there such a thing as an opening which essentially castles the king or leaves the kings side reasonably in tact and goes on the attack with all other pieces?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

The English opening is more or less that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

You might enjoy reading up on the Benko gambit for black too. Black gambits a pawn on the queenside for lots of positional pressure.

The Sicilian is the most popular of all openings, and lots of games in it see Black focus on the queenside while White goes for the king. It's much more tactical than the Benko, but you use them in different circumstances depending on White's first move.

You can readily find some youtube videos showing the basic ideas of those openings, and some classic games.

Advertisement