Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unusual markings on hillside

• 13-04-2020 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Around the same time as the droughts started to highlight old buildings and ruins these shapes started to appear on a local hill.
    I asked a local archaeologist about it and she wasn't sure what to make of it as the ground is very step so you couldn't build on it, it would be hard to not use your hands when walking on it.
    The 2 on the left are on slightly less steep ground.
    Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Pic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Pic

Possibly rings caused by fungus. Also known as fairy rings!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The outcropping bedrock on the left appears to have been worked.

It would be useful to see closer photos but please bear in mind that we all have a duty to maintain social/physical distance and respect travel restrictions.

If the outcrop has been worked, it’s possible that the rings could indicate the remains of secondary stone working pits

I'll not be able to get much closer for a while yet. Farmers won't want anyone at gates etc nor do I.
    There is a ring Fort and a cairn v close by if that might have any relevance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

To rule out WW2 Eire signs have included a pic , they seem to have been all created in capital letters, and were located around the coast, don't know where your pic was taken. If it is that steep, maybe fanciful thinking , was wondering if it might be some type of rock art sculpture, like laid down stone especially being so near to a cairn and a ring fort, might have had high standing individuals in the area one time. Not sure if any large scale art pieces have ever been found in Ireland like the older chalk figures in England .

Maybe just sheep tracks ?

Sometimes worth looking at Google Satellite maps to see if anything shows up.

Will be interesting to see close up shots at some stage.

Ts9SvYT.jpg?1

8zPCVTA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anything at all visible on satellite imagery?

That was 1 theory I heard a local throw about, that it was a local chieftain marking his territory as that hillside can be seen for miles.
    I'll have a look on Google but it's unlikely that much will show as this only became visible last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Try the NMI database

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a circular feature maybe 100m SSE of that section, if i see correctly? i assume that's the ring fort you mentioned?

nothing particularly obvious on the footage on the OSI website for the features you have in the photo, bar some faint lines which could be old field boundaries, maybe?

• Advertisement

there's a circular feature maybe 100m SSE of that section, if i see correctly? i assume that's the ring fort you mentioned?

nothing particularly obvious on the footage on the OSI website for the features you have in the photo, bar some faint lines which could be old field boundaries, maybe?

Great spot! That's the remnants of a cairn, there is also a faint ring Fort as you drive towards the hill and t junction.

Advertisement