Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weds 30th early hours + morning: Munster/south Leinster snow and ice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

The European 06Z Hi Res models not really making much of this at all, little precipitation and keeping it much further S.

The WRF would tally most with the Met Eireann forecast. Very cold day and night to follow with icy road and footpath conditions being a possible issue.

anim_gpp7.gif

anim_vmx2.gif

anim_sor4.gif

anim_wzg7.gif

I’m not very good at reading charts but is east Galway looking good here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Come on Athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Rikand wrote: »
    Come on Athlone!
    I’m down that way tomorrow hopefully I’ll see some flakes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 06Z rolling out and keeping to the same track and amounts as the 0Z which are far less than the WRF and more S.

I wonder could freezing rain be an issue. Again biggest issue I think would be icy roads and surfaces later Weds.

1uDX6ml.gif

5u1U1Nf.gif

50a90Ap.gif

N0aY1CE.png

6GMageI.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I’m not very good at reading charts but is east Galway looking good here

Looks like could get mostly rain and perhaps a sleety mix but not much snow I reckon ( best chance of lower level snow further E Galway if any ) but again looks to freeze early in the evening. Such a marginal event will need to see tonight's charts to see if any shift in track.

qi9yZ15.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Is that -8c 850hPa over me tonight? That guarantees snow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Fax for 06Z tomorrow morning. Normally, the best snow is to be found at around 10 o'clock of the direction of travel, so in this case to the low's north or northeast, around the outer edge of the warm sector.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020122906_024.png

The Icon shows best chance of snow inland southeast at around dawn tomorrow morning. The sounding for around Thomastown shows good precipitation rates (deep saturated layer up to around 700 hPa), with a shallow unsaturated surface layer capable of cooling evaporatively. However it is a very localised set of conditions and in reality for many it may turn out to be just the wrong side of marginal again. Depending on overnight cooling, freezing rain could indeed be possible.

The Knockmealdowns and Comeraghs could be the place to be for snow, though.

537481.png

537482.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Is that -8c 850hPa over me tonight? That guarantees snow

I hope so! Benevenagh always nearly guaranteed snow, I'll be up tomorrow morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think this will be a wet mess. It's far too windy. It's far too mild. So probably 2 or 3c with wet snow falling where it does. The world is too warm now. Theres no real cold anywhere.

Lol don’t be daft. It can snow hard when it wants to.

• Advertisement

I hope so! Benevenagh always nearly guaranteed snow, I'll be up tomorrow morning :D

Yes. Though showers need to come from the north not the west, as they can fizzle out over Donegal.

Fax for 06Z tomorrow morning. Normally, the best snow is to be found at around 10 o'clock of the direction of travel, so in this case to the low's north or northeast, around the outer edge of the warm sector.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020122906_024.png

The Icon shows best chance of snow inland southeast at around dawn tomorrow morning. The sounding for around Thomastown shows good precipitation rates (deep saturated layer up to around 700 hPa), with a shallow unsaturated surface layer capable of cooling evaporatively. However it is a very localised set of conditions and in reality for many it may turn out to be just the wrong side of marginal again. Depending on overnight cooling, freezing rain could indeed be possible.

The Knockmealdowns and Comeraghs could be the place to be for snow, though.

537481.png

537482.png

Could you produce two of those soundings for me? Please? One for 55N, 7W at midnight tonight and 12pm tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pauldry wrote: »
    I think this will be a wet mess. It's far too windy. It's far too mild. So probably 2 or 3c with wet snow falling where it does. The world is too warm now. Theres no real cold anywhere.

Snowing away in England readily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Where? Certainly been no snow so far this winter in the south or south east of England. Scotland highlands have been the only place to get any real snow yet

quote="munsterlegend;115734389"]Snowing away in England readily enough.[/quote]

Where? Certainly been no snow so far this winter in the south or south east of England. Scotland highlands have been the only place to get any real snow yet

quote="munsterlegend;115734389"]Snowing away in England readily enough.
    [/quote]

It’s snowing in parts of England such as Gloucestershire Telford Sheffield. Just look at twitter or sky news. It’s not huge amounts but it can snow even if not frigid cold which was the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I thought you meant proper sticking snow. Sure a lot of counties here have had snow showers. Here is hoping plenty on the way over coming weeks

It’s snowing in parts of England such as Gloucestershire Telford Sheffield. Just look at twitter or sky news. It’s not huge amounts but it can snow even if not frigid cold which was the point.[/quote]

The snow started to stick here on the 3rd

I thought you meant proper sticking snow. Sure a lot of counties here have had snow showers. Here is hoping plenty on the way over coming weeks

It’s snowing in parts of England such as Gloucestershire Telford Sheffield. Just look at twitter or sky news. It’s not huge amounts but it can snow even if not frigid cold which was the point.
    [/quote]

Looks proper sticking snow on twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

GFS still showing some snow potential for some at least (Carlow looks good) with more in the way of precipitation (snow) during the day. Freezing rain could be an issue in other places and icy surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Feeling very positive for the Castlecomer plateau area.
    Should be nice scenic views of snow covered hills when it all clears away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yellow warning issued for Cork - surely given these charts that’s a bit premature?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yellow warning issued for Cork - surely given these charts that’s a bit premature?

fingers crossed there’s a breach in the snow shield esp the city and surrounding areas - it would be a great end to this crap year ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

lulublue22 wrote: »
    fingers crossed there’s a breach in the snow shield esp the city and surrounding areas - it would be a great end to this crap year ðŸ™

Looking very optimistic for that to happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Looks proper sticking snow on twitter!

Yep, not piles but the niece and nephew in English midlands had enough to build a small snowman in their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

irishfeen wrote: »
    Looking very optimistic for that to happen :)

OMG - I’d given up hope and in the long tradition of disappointment after disappointment had this written off as well. Will be stalking this thread like a loon now 😄

Lots of showers forming to the north of Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Lads...North Kildare gonna get snow? Please say yes???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

daheff wrote: »
    Lads...North Kildare gonna get snow? Please say yes???:D

No

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Another downgrade from ICON it's moving further south, precipitation light and patchy. High grounds Tipperary, Wexford, Waterford and south Kilkenny might get a dusting that's about it.

• Advertisement

I am no expert but it does not look productive for snow in the Southwest (County Kerry and Cork).

The 850hPa is barely below 0c. Perhaps there could be some back edge snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement