Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People in Caherconlish, Limerick?

• 26-10-2020 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My partner and I are yanks living in Dublin. Bored out of our mind with this lockdown, and I thought it'd be fun to try to find his distant Irish relatives as pen pals. Is anyone here from Caherconlish, or do you know people who are? The family names are Hayes and McNamara, but my partner's ancestors haven't lived in Ireland since the late 1800's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

you could start here.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Limerick/Caherconlish_East/
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Limerick/Caherconlish_West/

If their family lived there until the late 1800s some of their other relatives might still be on the 1901 census.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

pablojones wrote: »
    My partner and I are yanks living in Dublin. Bored out of our mind with this lockdown, and I thought it'd be fun to try to find his distant Irish relatives as pen pals. Is anyone here from Caherconlish, or do you know people who are? The family name's are Hayes and McNamara, but my partner's ancestor's haven't lived in Ireland since the late 1800's.

Actually living only about 3km from Caherconlish, but not originally from the area. Do you have any other details besides the names Hayes and McNamara? A neighbour of mine has lived in the area for years (Boher) and she knows so much about the place, and old families and knows where the 'mud' cottages were etc. I'll asking her in passing next time I see her when I'm out walking. If you could pass on anymore info that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pablojones

Oh neat! Thanks to both of you. The information I have is a birth certificate for Thomas M Hayes who was born on 10th November 1876 at Kilcoolin and registered in Caherconlish. The father was Patrick Hayes, a dairyman living at Kilcoolin, and mother Anne Hayes, formerly McNamara. It says a woman named Mary Hannigan (or maybe Flannigan) of Kilcoolin registered the birth. Google doesn't turn up anything useful on Kilcoolin, but I'm now seeing Kilcooleen - maybe this is the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Or it could possibly been Kilculleen which is a farming area (near Ballybricken) which is 5km from Caherconlish...there is a Patrick Hayes there on the 1901 census from that area, he's 47years old which would make him the right age to be Thomas's father. It says he is a widower and a farmer. Do you know anything about Anne Hayes?
    Here's the link to the census for Patrick Hayes
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Limerick/Ballybricken/Kilculleen/1494549/

• Advertisement

And just found the 'Mary Flannigan' who you said registered the birth, she's in Kilculleen
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000989735/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go backwards from what you know.

Judging by the 1911 census it's possible that Patrick remarried.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pablojones

That's awesome! I was looking with Caherconlish, but I think the above Kilculleen census link must be it - there's McNamara, Hayes, and Flannigan all there.

We will definitely take a road trip here once we're allowed to leave the county! Maybe someone at a pub nearby will know a Hayes or McNamara. I see house numbers there, but the street from the link above looks like it's all new builds. Too bad those aren't still standing, would have been great to find the family home.

Hermy wrote: »
    Judging by the 1911 census it's possible that Patrick remarried.

Must be two different Patrick Hayes, the one on the 1911 census is 50 years, and the 1901 is 47.

• Advertisement

Must be two different Patrick Hayes, the one on the 1911 census is 50 years, and the 1901 is 47.

Must be? Or might be?

Ages on census returns are not always reliable.

And the Patrick Hayes who appears in that 1911 census records was a widower when he married, so as I said in my previous comment it's possible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement