Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teacher shouting at kids

• 08-09-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭

Our primary school resumed last Tuesday.
    My 11 yr old son in 5th class came home sick last Thursday.

This morning, he was complaining again of it, so my wife questioned as to why, is all ok in school.
    So then he said the teacher (male, 30s ) roared at him last Weds over not drinking fast enough/not putting water bottle away , something to do with water bottle, and he was afraid of him.

Just last night, a mother of one of the other kids in the class msgd my wife to say that her daughter was afraid of the teacher after the way he shouted at my lad.

Hes new enough to teaching , 2-3 years, and he was a work mate (not real close) for a few years also.

I have rang the school looking to meet him to discuss.
    Any tips on how to go about it , without getting all " Well my son wouldn't....."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I would have been getting an appointment with the principal not the teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I would have been getting an appointment with the principal not the teacher

If they know one another, even slightly, maybe the personal route is the way to go.

Going over a person's head rarely works well if they continue working in the situation that prompted the complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Ask him has he any idea why you asked for the meeting and leave an uncomfortable silence, then ask him have you made your point. Then suggest he apologise to your son and the class.

If he tries to deny tell him he needs to reflect on things and maybe he could arrange a meeting with the principle. That should put the fear into him.

It's to soon in the new school term to be so stressed that he's shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

He may not be aware that he is shouting especially if wearing a mask or visor. Approach it carefully but do mention your son and others are afraid of him. He maybe needs to relax a bit. remind him the children are taking a while to get into routine and may not be as attentive as usual.
    Keep it calm and light and don't criticize his teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I'm not saying he is right, He probably is not. But maybe go in prepared to listen to his side?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

Is it not better to go through the principal and have it on record from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

hi all.
    Thanks for all the replies.

He just rang me there before I could reply to all the replies.

I explained the situation, and how my son and a few of his class mates were feeling.
    he said he couldn't remember the incident, I said it only happened this day last week , he still said he cant remember :/ ?

I kept it cordial and didn't press it too hard, he was a bit on the defence, but I just wanted to make him aware.

I wouldn't 'go to the principal' yet, in fairness its a complete overreaction to go over the teachers head, instead of just having a conversation with the teacher about it.
    'Listen to his side' - he didn't really have a side, he said he couldn't remember it happening!
    'Not aware he is shouting' - maybe, but for 2 other kids to tell their parents that they got a fright from the roar?

It wont change his style of teaching, as I know his personality, but maybe he will stop shouting.
    If not , then I will be meeting the principal.

You can speak to the teacher

The longer it goes on the longer the principal is left out of the loop and will be playing catchup with the facts etc.

Zarco wrote: »
    You can speak to the teacher

The longer it goes on the longer the principal is left out of the loop and will be playing catchup with the facts etc.
    Zarco wrote: »
    Is it not better to go through the principal and have it on record from the start

Chain of command so to speak.
    Why go to the principal straight away and risk the teacher alienating the pupil, or victimising him over it?
    Isnt a one to one talk a better, mature way of handling it ?

I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

greenspurs wrote: »
    Why go to the principal straight away and risk the teacher alienating the pupil, or victimising him over it?

I thought it would be.

I would agree with you here, if you went to the principal the first question would be “have you talked to the teacher about it”

• Advertisement

I thought it would be.

Maybe you're right if the conversation goes well

If not the principal may have been the better approach

The days of speaking to teachers privately like that are drawing to a close imo

I have the highest regard for teachers it's just the way things are going imo

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd agree it's a bit OTT to go to the principal because of something your five year old said.

If he doesn't remember it, you always have to be wary of the fact some kids are scared of teachers at that age.

I broke down crying once when I was six because I couldn't answer a wuti was asked in Irish so said nothing which led to the teacher feeling I was being disrespectful.

Looking back now, it's clear to see the teacher didn't do anything wrong.

Teachers will always need some ability to raise their tone when dealing with 20+ kids.

You'd often seen parents or other adults with multiple children in tow having to raise their voice to be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

There's a complaints procedure in every school that many are not be aware of.
    This procedure works both way- (Parents to Teachers and Teachers to parents)
    If there is an issue with student and teacher, it's the teacher who is contacted
    If it cannot be resolved at class level then it is escalated to principal and further if needed

noodler wrote: »
    I'd agree it's a bit OTT to go to the principal because of something your five year old said.

If he doesn't remember it, you always have to be wary of the fact some kids are scared of teachers at that age.

I broke down crying once when I was six because I couldn't answer a wuti was asked in Irish so said nothing which led to the teacher feeling I was being disrespectful.

Looking back now, it's clear to see the teacher didn't do anything wrong.

Teachers will always need some ability to raise their tone when dealing with 20+ kids.

You'd often seen parents or other adults with multiple children in tow having to raise their voice to be heard.

The child is 11 in fifth class so knows what to expect from teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭pooch90

youngblood wrote: »
    There's a complaints procedure in every school that many are not be aware of.
    This procedure works both way- (Parents to Teachers and Teachers to parents)
    If there is an issue with student and teacher, it's the teacher who is contacted
    If it cannot be resolved at class level then it is escalated to principal and further if needed

Thank you for sharing this.
    You cannot just go straight to the principal. You speak to the teacher first. Any good principal won't entertain you unless you have spoken to the teacher first, unless it's a gross misconduct type complaint.
    Hopefully teacher will speak to the boy and smooth things over. No teacher wants a child afraid of them, (even if they are a bit of an *sshole)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Teacher here, you must follow the complaints procedure set out by the NPC/INTO -meeting with teacher, keep an account of what was said/agreed. Review the situation is a few weeks time.
    Not excusing the teacher, but some voices are louder than others and it may be the case here, especially with masks .
    (My principal was able to hear me a full 1/2 mile away when I was at a match. The children told me my voice "lifted them." I clarified with them that this was lifted their spirits , not " lifted us out of it.)

wildwillow wrote: »
    The child is 11 in fifth class so knows what to expect from teachers.

Really ??

Would you shout at your children?
    I wouldn't expect a professional educator to have to shout at children ? Its hardly a part of their course while training .

I know from experience, coaching 11-12 year olds that shouting at them is no good at all. You might frighten them into listening to you right at that moment.
    But you would have to keep shouting at them then always.

After 2-3 years of teaching youd think he'd know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

you must follow the complaints procedure set out by the NPC/INTO -

Why would a parent need to follow the complaints procedure set out by the NPC/INTO? They are probably not members. I guess I would view something like that as an issue for the teachers manager (principal) to deal with

He may not be aware that he is shouting especially if wearing a mask or visor. Approach it carefully but do mention your son and others are afraid of him. He maybe needs to relax a bit. remind him the children are taking a while to get into routine and may not be as attentive as usual.
    Keep it calm and light and don't criticize his teaching.

It isn't the parents job to manage the teacher. I mean, I think its good advice, it just should be the principal that is having that talk with them.

Really ??

Would you shout at your children?
    I wouldn't expect a professional educator to have to shout at children ? Its hardly a part of their course while training .

I know from experience, coaching 11-12 year olds that shouting at them is no good at all. You might frighten them into listening to you right at that moment.
    But you would have to keep shouting at them then always.

After 2-3 years of teaching youd think he'd know that?

I completely agree.

I was correcting Noodler's post that he was 5years old.

An 11 year old will have had experience of teachers and will know that shouting is out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I completely agree.

I was correcting Noodler's post that he was 5years old.

An 11 year old will have had experience of teachers and will know that shouting is out of the ordinary.

Fair.

Though I think the point remains that some kids can be scared of authority figures at that age.

I don't know what happened but if my parents had run to the principal everyone a teacher had to raise their voice then the school would not have functioned so just be mindful of the teacher's perspective here (i.e. child has told parent about an alledged shouting "incident" that I have no memory of and is now escalating to the principal).

noodler wrote: »
    Fair.

Though I think the point remains that some kids can be scared of authority figures at that age.

I don't know what happened but if my parents had run to the principal everyone a teacher had to raise their voice then the school would not have functioned so just be mindful of the teacher's perspective here (i.e. child has told parent about an alledged shouting "incident" that I have no memory of and is now escalating to the principal).

I would say it is a little bit unusual that 2 children are afraid of going to school because of the "alleged" incident. I would also guess the teacher may be able to remember what happened if the principal asks them about it. There may be a history of this and only the principal would be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Very occasionally I have to let a shout. This is very different to shouting AT a child.
    33 in a class this year. Haven't needed to do it yet but 33 is crowd control.
    Few parents can say they have never had to shout to be heard and that is with a small number in comparison to a classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

It's amazing to me this thread was started as...

We have this problem as well. But this male teacher is known for screaming and shouting at the children in his class.he has a reputation for it. Other teachers threaten to send them up to this male teacher and have done it.

My son came home the other day (3 days after going back),stomach in knots because he was shouted at, for not knowing an answer to a question from last term pre covid.

It happens every day.i want to go in there and nail the guy to a cross to be honest.but I'm going to keep a very close eye on it.

So the principal and other teachers know that it happens and for years have done nothing. What would ye do in this case?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

heldel00 wrote: »
    Very occasionally I have to let a shout. This is very different to shouting AT a child.
    33 in a class this year. Haven't needed to do it yet but 33 is crowd control.
    Few parents can say they have never had to shout to be heard and that is with a small number in comparison to a classroom.

Yes, shouting because the class is very loud and you want them to quieten down is very different to roaring at a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Teacher in the local school here, she terrorised us as kids roaring at the kids and over 30 years later she’s still terrorising the baby and senior infants.
    It’s well known in the school what she does, the bigger kids are even brought into her when misbehaving to be roared at. I think it’s absolutely disgraceful but obviously no one is going to do anything about it. Horrible b-Itch she is.

"John, can you put that water bottle away, please?"

(John continues to fiddle with the water bottle.)

"JOHN!"

You might not remember something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Jb1989

screamer wrote: »
    Teacher in the local school here, she terrorised us as kids roaring at the kids and over 30 years later she’s still terrorising the baby and senior infants.
    It’s well known in the school what she does, the bigger kids are even brought into her when misbehaving to be roared at. I think it’s absolutely disgraceful but obviously no one is going to do anything about it. Horrible b-Itch she is.

Well the bigger kids shouldn't be missbehaveing at their age, so this particular teacher is a better role model than the bigger kids parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Why would a parent need to follow the complaints procedure set out by the NPC/INTO? They are probably not members. I guess I would view something like that as an issue for the teachers manager (principal) to deal with

A lot of mis-information in this thread. The official complaints procedure should be followed, this involves going to the teacher first and then it escalates to principal if not resolved satisfactorily.
    This is a legal position to afford the teacher due process. Should the incident be serious enough to be escalated through teacher, principal, board and court then by going outside the agreed complaints procedure it compromises any potential prosecution.
    This specific case is easily resolved. Approach the teacher, document the meeting. Give it 2 weeks and if still unhappy then approach principal to mediate at which point i'd imagine there would be an investigation and some classroom management techniques suggested to teacher and then again a time agreed to see if situation resolves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

screamer wrote: »

Can any teacher in here answer me why this wouldn't be dealt with straight away?

Advertisement