Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you be a carnivore and care about animals?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 genius200iq

Vegetarians hate KETO.
    We are unhealthy today because we eat to much carbs
    You change to a KETO high protein and fat diet you will feel a million dollars within a fortnight.
    You wont get this with a Vegetarian diet, we humans have evolved to eat protein and fat, and animals are the best source of this.
    Just look at at the results for people with Diabetes 2, if they eat KETO the Diabetes goes away.
    Search for this , don't take my word, its all true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Vegetarians hate KETO.
    You change to a KETO high protein and fat diet you will feel a million dollars within a fortnight.
    You wont get this with a Vegetarian diet, we humans have evolved to eat protein and fat, and animals are the best source of this.
    Just look at at the results for people with Diabetes 2, if they eat KETO the Diabetes goes away.

No I agree with you.

Obesity is largely caused by consuming too much carbs. There may be be exceptions but it's largely the case.

Carbs are converted immediately to glucose once digested, which is basically the same as eating sugar, even if more nutritious.

One could eat a high fat, low carb diet as a vegetarian but it would be very difficult if you don't eat any animal products, whether it's eggs or cream (dairy) or meat.

The Indians are quite unhealthy in terms of their weight, as shown in higher death rates due to Covid in the UK. But their diet is high vegetable based, but they eat a lot of carbs as well. So absence of meat in their diet does not correlate to low weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

touts wrote: »
    I care about animals. But most only exist because they will ultimately be eaten. These animal rights campaigners who seem to think that we should return to having vast herds of cattle and sheep roaming free and happy across the Irish countryside like God intended clearly have no concept of just how stupid and dependent on humans these animals are. 99.99% would starve to death or succumb to disease were it not for the farmers who look after them. So I say give as many of them as possible the best possible existence and then slap them up on my plate.

While that is true, it is circular reasoning and the fact that we have bred them in such a way that they are not independently capably of sustaining life means we can continue to justify killing them for food. As I said youre right, but it's not proper justification for continuation of the practice. We put them in that position, bred out their wild instinct, and you're making it sound in a way as if we are doing them a service by eating them as their ability to survive themselves was taken from them by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

AllForIt wrote: »
    No I agree with you.

Obesity is largely caused by consuming too much carbs. There may be be exceptions but it's largely the case.

Carbs are converted immediately to glucose once digested, which is basically the same as eating sugar, even if more nutritious.

One could eat a high fat, low carb diet as a vegetarian but it would be very difficult if you don't eat any animal products, whether it's eggs or cream (dairy) or meat.

The Indians are quite unhealthy in terms of their weight, as shown in higher death rates due to Covid in the UK. But their diet is high vegetable based, but they eat a lot of carbs as well. So absence of meat in their diet does not correlate to low weight.

What are 'the Indians' doing in the UK, pray tell? A war party, hunting Buffalo or going on a salt march?

Vegetarians hate KETO.

I would have thought you'd be promoting hamburgers and milkshakes, no?

If you want to improve your thinking, research the great thinkers who were vegetarian.
    If you want to build your muscles and fart death farts like Donald Trump and anyone obsessed with flesh, go Keto.

Re the Op, yes, yes you can. It's a consciousness thing. You'll have people adoring their dogs and eating pigmeat at the same time. I was one such person until the day I had to hold my best pal, a Labrador, down as the vet injected him. That evening I grew up and also became vegetarian. Vegan since. Most of my peers are still meat-eaters but they love their animals dearly. It's not a race or a competition. Some will find their consciousness evolving and be unable to unsee what's been seen. Others won't see. Still, others wil see and disregard the momentary discomfort we all get from time to time when our conscience pricks.

Is meat tasty? F*CK yes. It's why I've eaten meat substitutes for 30 years now. Is it spiritually good for you? Not in the slightest, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    No I agree with you.

The quickest way to get healthy is to go full carnivore, cut out all carbs, eat nothing but protein and fat.
    The problem is carb are so tasty, so hard to cut out completely, unless that is if you replace them with something that is even tastier, and nothing is more tasty than fried bacon or BBQ meat, once you establish a high fat protein meat diet then you can start to look at non animal sources for fat and protein.
    Once on the KETO train , cheese , eggs and nuts will be a staple of your diet, but to try cut out bread and the usual carbs to go on a non meat KETO diet is extremely hard, use meat to get off carbs then transition to a veg protein and fat diet.
    I wish everyone well on this life style change, a week or two on the carnivore diet
    then transition to a meat, cheese, nut, avacado diet will be much easier.
    Fat is not the enemy, its a hard realisation to come to but once you do you will be living a much better life.

The quickest way to get healthy is to go full carnivore, cut out all carbs, eat nothing but protein and fat.
    The problem is carb are so tasty, so hard to cut out completely, unless that is if you replace them with something that is even tastier, and nothing is more tasty than fried bacon or BBQ meat, once you establish a high fat protein meat diet then you can start to look at non animal sources for fat and protein.
    Once on the KETO train , cheese , eggs and nuts will be a staple of your diet, but to try cut out bread and the usual carbs to go on a non meat KETO diet is extremely hard, use meat to get off carbs then transition to a veg protein and fat diet.
    I wish everyone well on this life style change, a week or two on the carnivore diet
    then transition to a meat, cheese, nut, avacado diet will be much easier.
    Fat is not the enemy, its a hard realisation to come to but once you do you will be living a much better life.

Ironic username...
    https://www.naturespath.com/en-us/blog/historical-thinkers-led-plant-based-lifestyles/

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I would have thought you'd be promoting hamburgers and milkshakes, no?

If you want to improve your thinking, research the great thinkers who were vegetarian.
    If you want to build your muscles and fart death farts like Donald Trump and anyone obsessed with flesh, go Keto.

Try KETO for a month, eat fried bacon, greasy fatty meat, to start, plenty of eggs and nuts.
    The hard part is giving up carbs, they are so tasty, we all love bread, but a fried rasher is tastier.
    After a week or two you will see the benefits, once you become used to so little carbs you then start to eat non animal fat and protein.
    Eat plenty of veg with low carbs like broccoli and cauliflower and so on, check the nutrients.
    Stay low carb for weight loss and high energy, you will see the number of hours of sleep you need be reduced by a hour or two, i kid you not , you will be super energised on this KETO lifestyle.
    The hard part of the diet is that Carbs are so tasty and everywhere, but give it two weeks and see the results and you will know it works and once you see this you will go all in on this life style.

Try KETO for a month, eat fried bacon, greasy fatty meat, to start, plenty of eggs and nuts.
    The hard part is giving up carbs, they are so tasty, we all love bread, but a fried rasher is tastier.
    After a week or two you will see the benefits, once you become used to so little carbs you then start to eat non animal fat and protein.
    Eat plenty of veg with low carbs like broccoli and cauliflower and so on, check the nutrients.
    Stay low carb for weight loss and high energy, you will see the number of hours of sleep you need be reduced by a hour or two, i kid you not , you will be super energised on this KETO lifestyle.
    The hard part of the diet is that Carbs are so tasty and everywhere, but give it two weeks and see the results and you will know it works and once you see this you will go all in on this life style.

This is American psychobabble. Some Irish & Brits are obsessed with meat but thankfully we aim for a more balanced diet.

Try eating just veg and plant-based dense proteins, as I do. Once you feel the clarity of mind, the strength of body without the inflammation, you will live this way til a ripe old age.
    Stop eating junk & sh1t. Just eat simply and heartily. That's all there is to it. It's what all animals do, except humans. Eat for fuel, not for self-pleasuring purposes. There is nothing 'hard' about eating. Eat for fuel. Simple.

Vegetarians hate KETO.

No, they love it except for the meat-eating aspect....

Ps the dollar is on the brink of collapse. It's not worth the paper it's written on. Keto and dollars. Tired concepts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is American psychobabble. Some Irish & Brits are obsessed with meat but thankfully we aim for a more balanced diet.

Try eating just veg and plant-based dense proteins, as I do. Once you feel the clarity of mind, the strength of body without the inflammation, you will live this way til a ripe old age.
    Stop eating junk & sh1t. Just eat simply and heartily. That's all there is to it. It's what all animals do, except humans. Eat for fuel, not for self-pleasuring purposes. There is nothing 'hard' about eating. Eat for fuel. Simple.

To be fair you've a bit of psychobable there as well. No-one is guaranteed to live to a 'ripe old age'. Our genes have a very important role in determining that - that and not wandering out in front of the number 42A bus ...

And no eating plants only won't make you branier or Einstein. I agree we should eat simply and heartily. Just as animals do. And yes that can include good quality meat eggs etc sourced from trusted sources.

And if you wish to exclude something from your diet for belief reasons so be it. Good for you. But lets not make out like that's somehow going to give you wings and make you fly ...

Just on past experience i shall guess.
    You are 6' you where 220lb and now weight 125lb
    Have low energy and sleep 10 hours a night
    Me on the other hand 6' was 235lb and now 180lb and jacked.
    I sleep on average 6.5 hours a night, i am full of energy and look like a man.
    KETO is the modern version of what our ancestors lived with for thousands of years, vegetarian is a anomaly in the human existance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Well cared for animals are tastier animals

Well cared for animals are tastier animals
    Treat animals with respect, right up until the moment you take their life. Then revel in the primal pleasure of eating meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Just on past experience i shall guess.
    You are 6' you where 220lb and now weight 125lb
    Have low energy and sleep 10 hours a night
    Me on the other hand 6' was 235lb and now 180lb and jacked.
    I sleep on average 6.5 hours a night, i am full of energy and look like a man.
    KETO is the modern version of what our ancestors lived with for thousands of years, vegetarian is a anomaly in the human existance.

That's absolute bro science bull****.

Hoboo wrote: »
    That's absolute bro science bull****.

Cope, the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jesus Christ I hate seeing posts like this. If someone has a metabolic disorder, or undiagnosed gallstones, this kind of diet can fecking kill them.

This quick fix Panacea bull is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

pwurple wrote: »
    Jesus Christ I hate seeing posts like this. If someone has a metabolic disorder, or undiagnosed gallstones, this kind of diet can fecking kill them.

This quick fix Panacea bull is dangerous.

This is why there is no one diet suitable for everyone. Check with your doctor before embarking on any major changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

What I want to know is if vegans feel guilty mowing their lawns ?

I don't know about vegans and lawns because I am not vegan nor do I have a lawn. I am vegetarian and have a woodland wilderness which I strim and one of the most sickening feelings is when I suddenly slice up a frog. That whump splat sound following by slumy gut bits of poor innocent amphibian on my face shield. I have to stop strimming for the day. Makes me feel all kinds of bad.
    Usually what I do, and people can think it is mad, I don't care, is I walk the whole area pre strimming and make loud announcements to the frogs and their friends that I am coming with a ferocious machine. It works surprisingly well. My frog count is quite low.

For those who find humans annoying but animals endearing I am certain that if animals could speak you would find rather a lot of them to be boring, selfish arseholes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I am firm in my belief that through my work, I do more to care for animals and relieve their pain and suffering, than merely becoming vegetarian or vegan.

I do find it irritating when people say that you need to become either to love animals, as I work tirelessly to keep them physically healthy. Not that long ago, a vet friend of mine was accused of not caring about animals because they ate meat... all whilst actively saving the life of this woman's cat that should have been brought in days beforehand and was now critically ill.

I have nothing against vegetarian diets or vegan diets, but the attitude that you have to be either to love animals crosses into the crazy town side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Farmer here and definitely it’s possible to care for animals and be comfortable eating them.

For my family it’s all about how they are reared and cared for. Given the best possible life is way different to some do the factory farming techniques evolving to meet the cheap n nasty cut price food pushed by supermarkets.

If you want to ensure good animal welfare stop buying meat in supermarkets today !!

Do some research, find smaller farmers selling meat from animals reared themselves. The animals have a better life, the meat will taste better and indeed is more nutritious, less environment impact too.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Jimi H

_Brian wrote: »
    Farmer here and definitely it’s possible to care for animals and be comfortable eating them.

For my family it’s all about how they are reared and cared for. Given the best possible life is way different to some do the factory farming techniques evolving to meet the cheap n nasty cut price food pushed by supermarkets.

If you want to ensure good animal welfare stop buying meat in supermarkets today !!

Do some research, find smaller farmers selling meat from animals reared themselves. The animals have a better life, the meat will taste better and indeed is more nutritious, less environment impact too.

I spent a lot of time growing up on my aunt and uncles farm. They absolutely loved their animals and were sad when the time came that they were being sent to the factory.

However, the time of the small farmer is passing. The margins are so small now in the food sector that small farmers will inevitably be swallowed up by larger farms who are constantly looking to increase productivity.

Unfortunately for the animals in these large farms, the vast majority suffer unimaginably for our 10 minute meal. We’ve seen recently how workers are treated in meat factories so it’s fair to say that the animals are going to be treated horribly too (even apart from being slaughtered).

In 2019, 101 million animals were killed in Ireland. That’s absolutely crazy! In a system where farmers don’t earn much (according to them), I don’t see why we don’t subsidise them heavily to go to a more eco friendly type of farming and promoting more biodiversity and tillage.

Advertisement