Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returning to college - how to balance everything?!

• 19-08-2020 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I got my degree 20 years ago, but am now considering returning to college to do a Masters. I would be doing it part-time over two years as I currently work (part-time hours), but also have three children who take up a lot of time. Has anyone figured out how to balance studying with work and kids? Am I insane to take this on?! It's so expensive, I can't afford to start it and then decide I can't manage everything...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’ve just come out the other side of a similar situation- part time masters, work school hours and two children with busy social lives. It wasn’t easy but it is doable if you are disciplined. I always made sure I had some of my reading material with me if I was waiting for the kids to finish a music class or at a sports club etc. I studied in the evenings when they went to bed and used some parental leave and annual Leave from work to revise for the exams. If you study regularly and don’t leave things to the last minute you will get through the work. Good luck with your new venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

One more tip - I chose my second year research project to take place in my workplace so I could do some of it in work time (data collection etc). That might not be an option for you but it saved me time and stress in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Hi Mairead,

You sound exactly like me if it's any help-I'm not too sure how I'm going to cope!! Got my degree almost 20 years ago, have three kids also, I work part time and about to start a 2 year full time Masters and absolutely bricking it. The Masters I'm doing is very expensive too and like that I'm worried I wont cope but can't afford to bail on it.

I guess I'm finally doing something I really want to do and succeed in and I know I have a tough 2 years ahead and but just know then it'll all be worth all the hardship. At times I have thought about maybe not doing it and just carrying on part time, floating along but know in 2 years time i'll think why didn't I just do it.

If it's something you really want to do you'll manage, late night studying, reading when you can and also making time for family, and following the great advice from GalwayGrrrrrl.

Reading back I'm not sure this post is much help at all but just best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nickkohl

So how it is going? Have you managed to balance?

Advertisement