Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst current comedians.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

RWCNT wrote: »
    I didn't realise fake fb comedians counted.

In that case the roaring lad in the car and Rory's Stories have to take gold. One day scientists will discover and cure the defect that causes people to find that ****e funny, until then, they're in my prayers.

i have a soft spot for rory and his stories.
    I think he can be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

This thread has just shown me that everyone has very different tasts, I have seen some comedians I would actively go to see appearing as the "Worst" here....

If I had to say who I think the worst is currently, I would have to go with Amy Schumer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

paw patrol wrote: »

They aren't even comedy, just the lowest of the low painfully unfunny "observations".

People will have to social distance if pubs ever reopen? Lets do a sketch where 2 lads are in a bar keeping apart from each other. Junior B players go for a pint after games? Lets do a sketch where some lads run off a field to the pub. Council workers stand around drinking tea? Lets do a sketch where some lads stand around a hole drinking tea.

No characters except loud Irish guy, no plot, no jokes and no punchline. Its literally just Catchphrase, say what you see, "Irish people do this so the sketch will be us doing that".

I'm not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Moved from CA/IMHO to After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Matmania wrote: »
    Seen Des Bishop long time ago in the comedy club on the keys think the place is gone now. He is still doing the same stuff. If i could hand out of 4th medal Andrew Maxwell is a defo. He is shocking.

The Waterfront ??? I saw Sean Hughes there in the early 90s. Bottles of Rolling Rock £1. Great times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

paw patrol wrote: »

For some reason Rory is one that bothers me a bit.

About 95% of his stuff is just ranting and raving and not at all funny. In fairness, he can knock out the odd gem and he seems to be popular certainly with young GAA people. By all accounts also he has done some good work for sick children and causes around his own area. So fair play to him on that. But he needs to move on from the "pub is the mental health keystone of Ireland" playlist. He could be doing videos on how young people can interact and support each other within the current restrictions if he wanted. But maybe that's not as funny.

Generally, I cant shake the feeling that he is an absolute chancer who is quite clinical in picking issues and events that will generate the most attention and taking the popular side of the issue. I think he knows its all fake and he is milking it for all its worth. I get the impression from him that he thinks he is smarter than everyone else

I saw an interview with him and his whole motivation was around generating the most number of likes and shares for commercial reach. He is pushing a book too and that's not consistent with his "Im here to highlight the issues" persona. He has openly admitted that his main motivation is to be famous and he had ambitions to be an actor. So I think he is quite cynical in what he is at.

I'm suspicious of the social media types who jump on the mental health wagon for young people without really doing anything consistent to help the issue (Bressie another). I hate the thought that they use a very serious issue to promote themselves without using the platform it gives them to really help out.

Im going to get his book when it comes out and if he proves me wrong as being genuine then, well more luck to him so.

But it will never make him funny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Is Karl Spain still functioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Bullocks wrote: »
    No one comes close to being as bad as Spittle

Michael McIntyre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

McGaggs wrote: »
    Michael McIntyre

I was blocking that lad from my mind. Couldn't take him at all either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Bullocks wrote: »
    I was blocking that lad from my mind. Couldn't take him at all either

Frankie Boyle was getting some hate on here. His slagging of Michael McIntyre sees him forgiven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Ricky Gervais! I can’t understand the hype surrounding him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Archeron

Nish Kumar makes me want to peel my own skin off. His laugh is like having a hangover in a cement mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

YFlyer wrote: »
    Is Karl Spain still functioning?

He's plugged in charging at the minute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

michael mcintyre and dara obriain are the only 2 i've much patience for - i really like them
    can't think of a worst - i scrolled through a load of stand ups on amazon and netflix and turn most of them off again after a short while

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jo Brand is still working so I'll say her.
    Her material has been the same for almost 40 years now.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Jo Brand is still working so I'll say her.
    Her material has been the same for almost 40 years now.

And it wasn't funny 40 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Gentlemanne

I find it unbelievable that people find Rory's Stories funny in any capacity. I have watched quite a lot of them almost out of morbid curiosity. It's like an alien was told about banal Irish stereotypes and was forced to pump out videos. I would not call them sketches because a lot of them do not even have a punchline.

Maybe people find them relatable but I really don't get it.

"Comedians" I've never found funny

1. Rich Hall

2. Lee Evans

3. Zoe Lyons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

A lot of the woke comedians are like left wing versions of Chubby Brown or Bernard Manning.

"Thatcher is a c8nt, I'm glad she's dead" was funny for a few minutes in 1984.

The "legend" that was Lenny Bruce was the original of the species. Sad unfunny junkie who was able to shock people in 60s by using the vernacular for sexual organs. His live shows are embarrassingly bad when listened to now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think if Jason Byrne reinvented himself there is scope for genuine hilarity.

I would love to see him make more of a gobshight of himself than he has done already. I just don't think he is trying hard enough if I am being honest.

Would love to see him try out a few new alter egos, or even a bit of drag. He has the face to be a drag monster, he should really go for it. I mean horny sexy drag, proper eyeopener. Call herself Jacinta Hyacinth Byrne , the queen of Lad Lane, etc etc. Smokes like a trooper in laddered red tights and painted in trashy makeup. Guttersnipe Dublin accent ( in fairness this won't be much of a stretch for Jason Byrne).

Go for a punchline like " showus your big fat sausage" etc , something really borderline that would wind up the outrage. Loads of offensive Bill Cosby quotes and pictures of Boybands on her wall, upsetting pictures.

Unless you get cancelled or you are upsetting the outrage I think you need to think about a new job. Comedy is a wind up. Keep it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Iain Stirling.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think if Jason Byrne reinvented himself there is scope for genuine hilarity.

I would love to see him make more of a gobshight of himself than he has done already. I just don't think he is trying hard enough if I am being honest.

Would love to see him try out a few new alter egos, or even a bit of drag. He has the face to be a drag monster, he should really go for it. I mean horny sexy drag, proper eyeopener. Call herself Jacinta Hyacinth Byrne , the queen of Lad Lane, etc etc. Smokes like a trooper in laddered red tights and painted in trashy makeup. Guttersnipe Dublin accent ( in fairness this won't be much of a stretch for Jason Byrne).

Go for a punchline like " showus your big fat sausage" etc , something really borderline that would wind up the outrage. Loads of offensive Bill Cosby quotes and pictures of Boybands on her wall, upsetting pictures.

Unless you get cancelled or you are upsetting the outrage I think you need to think about a new job. Comedy is a wind up. Keep it that way.

What?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    "Thatcher is a c8nt, I'm glad she's dead" was funny for a few minutes in 1984.

Until they realised she was still alive, and would be up until 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

keano_afc wrote: »
    Aisling Bea

No way - I think she is one of the best female comedians around. Would happily marry her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Harry Hill, I'm not sure who it was that told him that he was funny. He's about as amusing as a rectal polyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

1. Rich Hall

2. Lee Evans

3. Zoe Lyons

Saw Rich Hall in Galway a number of years ago, thought he was very good

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

1. Rich Hall

2. Lee Evans

3. Zoe Lyons

Lee Evans, definitely, he'd probably be in my top 3 worst comedians as well. I haven't see Zoe Lyons stand-up so no idea what she's like, but haven't been impressed by her on any panel shows I've seen. But Rich Hall is one of the funniest men on the planet. Went to one of his hoedown shows at the Cat Laughs a few years ago and it's one of the best comedy gigs I've ever been to.

Of those not already mentioned I'd throw Andy Parsons and Nina Conti into the mix. However hands down the worst "comedian" I've ever seen live, including the poor woman who was shepherded off by the MC halfway through her open mic spot in the Laughter Lounge, is Alison Spittle. She was an unpublicised support act at a gig I went to and I'd never heard of her before then. The kindest thing I can say is that I was embarrassed for her and I really think she should look into the possibility of a career change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

The 2 Johnnies. Listened to a few of their podcasts and it seems there's only 1 Johnny who has any even slightly discernible talent. The other lad seems to be there to laugh at the first lads jokes. How the **** they're selling out places like The Marquee is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

McGaggs wrote: »
    Frankie Boyle was getting some hate on here. His slagging of Michael McIntyre sees him forgiven

Frankie is a great comedian alright, I don't get the hate for him, bit of boiling hatred of people in him which I like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Saw Rich Hall in Galway a number of years ago, thought he was very good
    I've never found him particularly funny but the documentaries he's made for BBC4 on American history & culture are quite good.

Advertisement