Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well if I have to explain it....................

Yes you do so go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Good lord, this show is bad, but she also has not an ounce of talent as a radio presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Good lord, this show is bad, but she also has not an ounce of talent as a radio presenter.

giphy.gif

I've only ever heard a few minutes of her during the cross over. Yesterdays experience was her saying "vagina" as often as she could in those few minutes and todays was "period", and she seemed to think shes had a woodward and bernstein like moment with the tampax ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

I was listening to pat kanny, then she on again at noon, just had to turn the radio off now, utter dumpster fire of a presenter. Wittering oul wans going on and on about social justice issues, just zoned ****ing out.

One good thing when people send in lots of critical texts about her ****e program, ciara does read them out. A credit to her as other presenters would not. I have not bothered yet to send in a text.

• Advertisement

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    I was listening to pat kanny, then she on again at noon, just had to turn the radio off now, utter dumpster fire of a presenter. Wittering oul wans going on and on about social justice issues, just zoned ****ing out.

One good thing when people send in lots of critical texts about her ****e program, ciara does read them out. A credit to her as other presenters would not. I have not bothered yet to send in a text.

To be fair Pat Kenny reads out lots and lots of critical texts about his opinions, his voice, his pronunciation , Ivan Yates did too , and indeed George Hook also did ;)

I've only ever heard a few minutes of her during the cross over. Yesterdays experience was her saying "vagina" as often as she could in those few minutes and todays was "period", and she seemed to think shes had a woodward and bernstein like moment with the tampax ad.

You'd prefer we go back to the 1980s when you weren't allowed say those words before 9pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

shes begining to grate on me, shes become a female ray darcy, full of opinions and whingeing about this or that, scrambling desperatley to get moral high ground on everything , trying hard to be a bit of a shock jock feminist too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

She drives me mad. She’s typical of the people who give out about ‘snowflakes’ but is worse herself.

She’s also wrong on facts so many times.

Then there’s the whole I’m not a Doctor anymore but every five minutes she refers to being a Doctor.

She has a platform and he previous occupation gives her some credibility so she gets away with a lot others wouldn’t.

Also I’d hate her as a GP.

I like the Tampon idea for the ASAI but I doubt that was hers.

She drives me mad. She’s typical of the people who give out about ‘snowflakes’ but is worse herself.

She’s also wrong on facts so many times.

Then there’s the whole I’m not a Doctor anymore but every five minutes she refers to being a Doctor.

She has a platform and he previous occupation gives her some credibility so she gets away with a lot others wouldn’t.

Also I’d hate her as a GP.

I like the Tampon idea for the ASAI but I doubt that was hers.

The only specific example you give is something you like.

What are the facts that she's often wrong about?

• Advertisement

The only specific example you give is something you like.

What are the facts that she's often wrong about? and I dont mean examples of any time she's been wrong — what's the most recent one, so we can see how frequent it is?

She said she was immune after getting coronavirus.

She said she was immune after getting coronavirus.

I remember this clearly. It was back in March, I think, and she said she had "some" enhanced immunity but implied that it may not last.

I will dig it out if you have a different memory, and we can check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I remember this clearly. It was back in March, I think, and she said she had "some" enhanced immunity but implied that it may not last.

I think that was back when it was widely suggested that exposure could lead to immunity, but there was no real evidence either way. Remember the whole 'herd immunity' strategy was partially predicated on this.

Knock yourself out chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

To be fair Pat Kenny reads out lots and lots of critical texts about his opinions, his voice, his pronunciation , Ivan Yates did too , and indeed George Hook also did ;)

'We don't normally broadcast all the stuff that comes from scum around the country' :pac:

Knock yourself out chief.

Will do, bro.

Transcript that I heard is here.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11168263

"There is a positive in this, I'm immune and an immune doctor in a pandemic is not a bad thing! .. There's talk of potentially getting it again but my understanding is that it wouldn't be something you'd get straightaway, again. It may mutate and those types of things can happen, but my understanding is I would be fairly, *fairly*x bulletproof for a while, yes"

Now we will hear your transcript where she said what you are claiming and people will decide if she was lying.

Will do, bro.

Transcript that I heard is here.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11168263

"There is a positive in this, I'm immune and an immune doctor in a pandemic is not a bad thing! .. There's talk of potentially getting it again but my understanding is that it wouldn't be something you'd get straightaway, again. It may mutate and those types of things can happen, but my understanding is I would be fairly, *fairly* bulletproof for a while, yes"

Now we will hear your transcript where she said what you are claiming, and when we have read your transcript, people will decide if she was lying.

So far, we've dated an allegation of broadcasting mistruths to mid March, and it has not yet been proven. So for claims that she is "often wrong" on facts, I suggest we need some evidence.

I was talking about the other time she said she mentioned being immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd have no problem with her if she didn't talk over her guests/phone in people.

That kind of grates on me now. Shut up and listen Ciara and let them talk. Apart from that you are ok.

denartha wrote: »
    You'd prefer we go back to the 1980s when you weren't allowed say those words before 9pm?

What are you on about? I’d imagine you weren’t allowed to say “big throbbing erect veiny cock” either, say in relation to a discussion on effective treatment on erectile dysfunction, so somebody saying it a couple of times throughout the conversation is obviously relevant. Saying it 10-15 times in the space of 60 seconds just makes you sound like a deranged attention seeking lunatic which is what she was at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What's the address to send in the used tampons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I heard some of the "vagina" thing as part of a promo for the show earlier...oooh so cutting edge and progressive. Thank you Newstalk for reminding me never to tune in to her show.

I was talking about the other time she said she mentioned being immune.

I don't want to be a pain here, but you've been given a transcript that was broadcast contemporaneously to CK's diagnosis, in which she clearly qualified the extent of her immunity, in line with scientific advice at the time (which hasn't changed).

If someone is going to accuse someone of being "often wrong" on matters of fact, it should be fairly easy to demonstrate this.

If you cannot demonstrate it, it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that it is you, in fact, who is mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Mav11

Cole wrote: »
    I heard some of the "vagina" thing as part of a promo for the show earlier...oooh so cutting edge and progressive. Thank you Newstalk for reminding me never to tune in to her show.

I heard her last week when she was ranting on about vaginas. Worse than misery Joe and "wash de hands". She was also blasting out that it was all the fault of the men that the ad was pulled.

Not true Ciara, perhaps you should check before you put you mouth in gear!!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0802/1156983-tampax-ad-complaints/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And ... fighting out of Newstalk, Dublin ... weighing in at don’t be asking such patriarchal questions ... Ciara ‘The Dose’ Kelly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

She uses all this over the top feminist bullshut to benefit her career,at this stage there is no way Newstalk could fire her or move her off a prime time slot, they will also have to make her one of the highest paid presenters or else she will be on her soapbox screaming about paygaps

I don't want to be a pain here, but you've been given a transcript that was broadcast contemporaneously to CK's diagnosis, in which she clearly qualified the extent of her immunity, in line with scientific advice at the time (which hasn't changed).

If someone is going to accuse someone of being "often wrong" on matters of fact, it should be fairly easy to demonstrate this.

If you cannot demonstrate it, it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that it is you, in fact, who is mistaken.

I’m not as invested in her sorry.

I was so impressed with the speed you pulled that recording and transcript out of your thin air.

She’s gas with her I’m not a Doctor but (all those years spent as a Doctor) schtick. I can see why you’re a fan, she’s a hoot.

Do you do requests?

Can you find the link to the one during the week where she contradicted Professors of Science with one of her infamous I know going against Professors here but . . . The Crazy coot. I think it was about reopening, I’m sure you’ll the know the one to pull out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cole wrote: »

I had the misfortune to listen to it live.

She used the 84 objections to the advertisement as a stick to beat men with. It was particularly pathetic, gave no consideration to the actual gender of the objectors, information that she wasn’t privy to and also ignored the fact that the views of 84 people who object to an advertisement don’t represent the view of the rest of the country.

It was poor journalism, an effort to whip up some man vs woman controversy and it failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It was poor journalism, an effort to whip up some man vs woman controversy and it failed miserably.

Actually she wasn't. However it seems that woman with an opinion is too much for some to handle. To be clear I find the ad annoying as hell but the program made some good points about how little information is given to young and not so young girls. If any of you will ever have a daughter she probably did her a favour with her ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually she wasn't. However it seems that woman with an opinion is too much for some to handle. To be clear I find the ad annoying as hell but the program made some good points about how little information is given to young and not so young girls. If any of you will ever have a daughter she probably did her a favour with her ranting.

Seeing as we're making assumptions here, let me make my own. Maybe some here have no problem with a woman (or a man) with an opinion and have daughters themselves. Maybe some are commenting on CK in her role as a radio presenter and find her opinionated and lecturing radio persona all a bit contrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had the misfortune to listen to it live.

She used the 84 objections to the advertisement as a stick to beat men with. It was particularly pathetic, gave no consideration to the actual gender of the objectors, information that she wasn’t privy to and also ignored the fact that the views of 84 people who object to an advertisement don’t represent the view of the rest of the country.

She didn't make it men V's women, I didn't get that feeling at all and I also was listening to it live.
    One man came on the show and was a shining example of how backward some people are in this country, he spat in his tea when he heard the advert and had to switch channels when it came on.
    I think it was a successful piece, not sure about posting in the tampons but the watchdog was bang out of order pulling that ad.

Advertisement