Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ironicname wrote: »
    People like you need to be forced into compliance rather than make sensible personal choices.

Sad that the minority are going to make what's coming worse for the majority who are taking every precaution they can.

Look, I'm seeing people get absolutely abused on forums like this, or Facebook even, just for taking a walk on the beach with their family.

At the moment the numbers are rising, but yes it is still relatively low risk in ireland.

People are free to go for their walks in the park or on the beach, because when or if a lockdown is announced, they will be couped up in their homes for weeks on end.

So kill me for saying go out for that walk or day out, right now while you can.

While taking all precautions, hand washing, keeping distance..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Due to get the Enterprise next Saturday morning.

Just wondering if anyone has been on it recently...is it busy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Look, I'm seeing people get absolutely abused on forums like this, or Facebook even, just for taking a walk on the beach with their family.

Fair enough. I didn't say that though.
    At the moment the numbers are rising, but yes it is still relatively low risk in ireland.

No it's not. Relatively low risk as in its not as bad as Spain or Italy at the moment but the risk is still high.
    People are free to go for their walks in the park or on the beach, because when or if a lockdown is announced, they will be couped up in their homes for weeks on end.

I never said they weren't.
    So kill me for saying go out for that walk or day out, right now while you can.

I never did.
    While taking all precautions, hand washing, keeping distance..

Or staying off public transport and not saying that it is business as usual and life goes on normally.

It doesn't at the moment. And waiting for the government to forbid you to do something is not taking every available precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

devnull wrote: »
    According to the NTA, demand was 15-20% down on Friday.

Definately calling Bullshìt on that stat I saw empty seats on morning rush hour trains in the middle of town and numbers are down significantly would put it closer to 40-50% less people around, with pubs closing now I'm expecting a 50%+ dropoff in the next few days.

I'd expect public transport to scale back to a Saturday service after Paddys day with few exceptions there simply won't be any point or demand in maintaining a full weekday service till this all burns out in a month or 2 and no I dont expect this to blow over in 2 weeks but far longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

I'd guess that the use of public transport will drop significantly given that so many office workers are working from home. But cutting services is not the answer. The level of service needs to be maintained so that those who have to travel have enough space to implement some form of social distancing.

Given that this is an unprecedented situation the government will have to step in with some extra payments to cover the increased operational costs. The service is still necessary for those who absolutely have to travel but the priority should be to reduce traffic so that no more than 50% of seats are occupied. Cutting back services won't help this.

Personally, I don't think I'll chance getting public transport for the next few weeks. The level of crowding is completely out of kilter with what is being allowed anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Bus is a about 40% full this morning. Still a few familiar faces from the commute, but mainly older people going shopping. Disturbingly, was also 4 German tourists, cameras dangled around neck and all, from the hotel near me. Fairly selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Bus is a about 40% full this morning. Still a few familiar faces from the commute, but mainly older people going shopping. Disturbingly, was also 4 German tourists, cameras dangled around neck and all, from the hotel near me. Fairly selfish.

I'd say those tourists are leftovers who just had the rotten luck of travelling as this all kicked off, I'll expect them all to dissapear in a week or so expecially since many EU countries are starting to close borders to slow down this virus. Little point in going on holidays now with everything closing down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I can't see current levels of service lasting.

That's even without a full lockdown

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bus should be enforced to run at half capacity anyway if they are to continue running, ie one person to a 2 seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Forgot to mention, the driver had the little holes in the screen door to the cab stuffed up with bits of rubber glove. Assume that as he's still breathing, it isn't stopping anything.

Just goes to show bus drivers are worried for their health. I know there's been lots of praise (rightly) for emergency service workers, but bus drivers are unsung heroes too in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Forgot to mention, the driver had the little holes in the screen door to the cab stuffed up with bits of rubber glove. Assume that as he's still breathing, it isn't stopping anything.

Just goes to show bus drivers are worried for their health. I know there's been lots of praise (rightly) for emergency service workers, but bus drivers are unsung heroes too in my opinion.

Lots of folk out there, outside of the obvious ones, doing vital work to keep the country going.

People working in supermarkets, pharmacies, factories, agriculture, all steps of the supply chain, working in power plants, water treatment plants, ISP's and datacenters, etc., etc.

Things will get much worse if any of these fail. Hopefully this is a reminder to everyone of the vital work all these people play in our lives.

For the rest of us, the most "heroic" thing we can do, is stay at home if we can and stay out of everyone elses way.

For Bus Drivers, I wonder if they could jerryrig a complete shield for the drivers cab. Big plastic sheet might do the job. Perhaps temporarily cancel fare collection, turn it into something more like the Luas.

Which has me thinking, I assume they have suspended ticket checking on the Luas and Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Dublin Coach finishing up tonight.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Both Unions are advising members not to accept fairs on the Wayfarer machine. Just wave people by. Pointless really. Lots of drivers refusing to take orders from the union.

Half assed idea .

Both Unions are advising members not to accept fairs on the Wayfarer machine. Just wave people by. Pointless really. Lots of drivers refusing to take orders from the union.

Half assed idea .

Just use disposable gloves. That's what drivers in UK are doing.

No reason to not accept fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

On Dublin bus, they should probably set the machine that's away from the driver can to minimum fare and direct all leap card users towards that.

If the want to bring this in, then a middle door only policy needs to be brought in with it. And tape off the driver area completely.

Pointless otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If there was a lockdown/shut down of public transport, would they have to give a few days notice so people could get home e.g Cork to Dublin?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Unfortunately disposable gloves are only of limited help in this situation. Infected person touches money, hands it to gloved driver, gloved driver then touches their face with the glove and the virus moves from glove to face.

Healtcare workers have been repeating over and over that people are using gloves in the wrong manner and it gives a false sense of security.

Of course this doesn't apply to DB drivers, who rarely touch the money, the issue is more that given the current position of the ticket machines, you can't really seal off the cab like you have on Luas/DART, which would be ideal solution in this situation.

It is a pity that the transport companies/government don't have a stock pile of FFP2R masks, they would help a lot in this situation.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    If there was a lockdown/shut down of public transport, would they have to give a few days notice so people could get home e.g Cork to Dublin?

I wouldn't bet on that and some companies like GoBus between Cork and Dublin have already shutdown.

bk wrote: »
    Unfortunately disposable gloves are only of limited help in this situation. Infected person touches money, hands it to gloved driver, gloved driver then touches their face with the glove and the virus moves from glove to face.

I'm in the UK right now and the vast majority of bus operators seem to be using gloves and getting buses cleaned at the end of every lap and running extra vehicles to ensure handrails etc are cleaned at the end of each journey.

None of these operators are handling cash and the one I know who is handling cash and are asking everyone for contactless and if someone wants to pay in cash they are going through the coin hopper.

• Advertisement

If the want to bring this in, then a middle door only policy needs to be brought in with it. And tape off the driver area completely.

Do Dublin Bus drivers seal themselves off from their colleagues and keep their distance from them when they are having lunch in the canteen too? Since if you're saying they need to be sealed from everyone then should it not apply to all situations or are bus passengers deemed to be riskier than everyone else?

I assume most of them drive a car as well, have they also sealed each seat in their car off from each other as well? Have they put a screen inbetween the front and the back of these? How about taxi drivers? Have they done the same thing? What about shops? Have checkouts been enclosed yet?

The point I'm making is what makes bus drivers different to any other kind of worker who deals with the public?

I'm in the UK right now and the vast majority of bus operators seem to be using gloves and getting buses cleaned at the end of every lap and running extra vehicles to ensure handrails etc are cleaned at the end of each journey.

Unfortunately more to make them feel good, then much use. If they touch a surface with the virus with the glove and then touch their face with the glove, it will transfer.

Gloves are only useful if you, put on, do a specific job, don't touch face, take off/dispose after job, wash hands. If you are wearing gloves all day long, not much use.

Wiping down the wheel and cab as best you can with cleaning product as you start shift is probably the best you can do.

As you say, rotating buses in and out more frequently and intensive cleaning, including the cab certainly helps.

There probably should be no more mid-route drivers hand overs. Should be bus returned to depot and a cleaned bus taken out by new driver.

Obviously a bit of a organisational nightmare. But perhaps easier with a reduced schedule.
    None of these operators are handling cash and the one I know who is handling cash and are asking everyone for contactless and if someone wants to pay in cash they are going through the coin hopper.

Good idea, but the driver still ends up well inside the social distancing distance of 1 to 2 meters.
    Do Dublin Bus drivers seal themselves off from their colleagues and keep their distance from them when they are having lunch in the canteen too? Since if you're saying they need to be sealed from everyone then should it not apply to all situations or are bus passengers deemed to be riskier than everyone else?

Canteens should absolutely be closed, no question about that at all!

It is all about social distancing. Lots of key business are putting in place measures to reduce spread within their staff.

As an example, the reason Spanish air traffic control has been limited over the weekend, is because they reduced the numbers of controllers working each shift, with others staying home and self isolating, so if one shift get infected, there is some backup to come in and cover for them next day.

Power stations, water treatment plants, etc. are all doing the same.
    I assume most of them drive a car as well, have they also sealed each seat in their car off from each other as well? Have they put a screen inbetween the front and the back of these? How about taxi drivers? Have they done the same thing? What about shops? Have checkouts been enclosed yet?

In a car, you are assuming you are only carrying your family, who you live with anyway. The health care professionals are assuming if one person in a family get it, everyone else in the same house does too, unfortunately.

Checkouts haven't been closed, but they have definitely been directing people to use self service tills more (this is when to use your gloves).

Shelves should be packed overnight or during closed periods during the day, so those workers don't mix with the public.

In Wuhan in China, you couldn't even enter the shop. You approach the door, tell them what you want from a distance, they go get it and then they pass it out to you on a stick!

Sorry, I don't mean to be too alarmist about this or to frighten people more then they already are. But folks running vital services like this have to think extremely carefully about what steps need to be taken to isolate public facing staff as much as possible from the public and how to slow the spread amongst their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

1 Driver confirmed from ringsend depot infected with Covid19, rumour is a second is as well. We will know soon enough.

Any word on their regular route?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

1 Driver confirmed from ringsend depot infected with Covid19, rumour is a second is as well.
    We will know soon enough.

Confirmed by whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Ironicname wrote: »
    Any word on their regular route?

Spare driver, so would do different route daily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

TfL?

National Express West Midlands/Black Country/Coventry are carrying on as normal. Actually they are trying out/driver training brand new 2020 reg electric buses while the service remains the same as if nothing is happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stark wrote: »
    On Dublin bus, they should probably set the machine that's away from the driver can to minimum fare and direct all leap card users towards that.

It's more difficult to do that then you'll think.

It's more difficult to do that then you'll think.

At this stage, I think they should just stop taking fares and seal off the drivers cab.

Also strictly enforce enter via front door, exit via middle door. Stop people passing closely.

Either way the government will need to step in and increase the subsidy to these companies to keep them going due to fall in passenger numbers. A bit extra to cover lost fares for a few months won't make much difference.

Extraordinary times will require extraordinary measures.

At this stage, I think they should just stop taking fares and seal off the drivers cab.

Also strictly enforce enter via front door, exit via middle door. Stop people passing closely.

Either way the government will need to step in and increase the subsidy to these companies to keep them going due to fall in passenger numbers. A bit extra to cover lost fares for a few months won't make much difference.

People will not exit via the middle door. In fact they can be so dumb, they walk right past an open middle door to exit the front even after numerous announcements.

Unless new signs are put up maybe. It would limit driver exposure by 50%.

If the drivers go sick, the service will not run. Plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stop taking fares or rushing through minimum fares? They should not be doing something that can result in an increase of usage.

With dublin bus, the drivers already have screens separating them from passengers.

Advertisement