Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Andy Weatherall has died

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭francois

Very sad, had the pleasure of supporting him a couple of times-really nice bloke, down to earth and an encyclopedic knowledge of music, a true talent and giant of the electronic music scene

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I read a while back Haunted Dancehall is the official music to be played on loop on BBC in case of a national emergency in the UK. If you hear it on constant rotation you know something bad has happened.
    If I heard Haunted Dancehall on constant rotation, then all would be good in the world

RIP Andrew Weatherall

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Such terrible news, really can't believe it. Some of my fondest memories of discovering dance music in the early 90s include getting lost in mixes by Mr Weatherall. Right up to only a few years ago with his Masterpiece 3xCD mix, he always had a nack for selecting the perfect tracks, many of which were from all corners of the world... I actually keep that mix in my car at all times, a mix I often revisit and consider up there with some of the very best.

RIP - an absolute legend and a massive contributor to a scene many of us have loved for several decades now. End of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Bizarrely I was randomly listening to one of his mixes when a mate texted me to tell me he'd died, but maybe that was Mixcloud algorithm throwing him up because people were searching him as news broke? If not its a little weird!

Absolute icon for at least two generations of people into club culture, culture generally, dance music and more or less any music, and will be for generations to come. A music lover's music lover. He seems to have had an incredible ability to understand what make a track tick, strip it down and re-construct it.

Interesting mix of many of his early productions here with a few less well known obscurities:

https://testpressing.org/mix/050producers-series-3andrew-weatherall

Lots of links at the bottom of this page to send you down a rabbit hole:

https://testpressing.org/magazine/andrew-weatheralla-tribute

Also found myself watching a couple of his interviews on Youtube in the last few weeks for some reason, very interesting guy with a great turn of phrase. Unfortunately they have cut the tracks from the interview, presumably due to licencing, real shame as I'd like to hear the mixes he's talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1-EKbPi_A&t=1834s

Show his talents as a wood cutter in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2A4RxpEvN4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I just found out ... reading David Holmes's tribute on social media. there was always something intriguing about Weatherall, even if I grew up on the other side of Europe; RIP, Maestro.

PS: pulmonary embolism appears to have triggered this premature passing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

First gig i was ever at was Andy

Francois may have been playing that night too.

Legend may he RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭dasdog

I don't think I'll ever hear Screamadelica in it's youthful multi-colour again. You don't know what you've lost till it's gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This might not be for everyone, but worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This might not be for everyone, but worth a look.

Watched it a few months ago. Great watch for anyone with the slightest interest in Andy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Yell0 Man

This was made as a tribute shortly after he passed away

Daniel Avery - Lone Swordsman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyaBgJnoZtw

life will not be the same without your kind soul. may it reeeel in the evermore ( below i think 112 beats per minute ). fail we may sail we must.

a few daYs too late baby... but never forgotten

sadly missed,

ní nochtfaidh do mheon arís d’fhinné macánta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Smokebelch

Advertisement