Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

So he has learned in college how to leverage his identity, but is he any closer to getting a job with his Arts degree? Seems like a nice guy and well done to him, but I think he needs to reset and evaluate exactly why he is going to third level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

So when is Brendan O'Connor actually going to present this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pinkyeye wrote: »

heard the end of the show on sunday and wondered that. seems to have disappeared since it was made his show, maybe he got the same working hours as marion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Still no Brendan O'Connor today?? Like what is the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Still no Brendan O'Connor today?? Like what is the story?

Not sure but I think It was said he was starting in April or May.

• Advertisement

He's back at last.

Very unusual to start the show with the opinions of actor Michael Harding, who is essentially brought on for his comic value, before trying to have a serious discussion about the Coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Does that consultant not know what is an algorithm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Back today, he'd be alright for a few weeks but no way should he be a permanent fixture. Should just be called the Weekend on One and then hosted by a small panel or rotating presenters. That'd keep in fresh. Brendan is okay but you'd be weary of his themes after 3 or 4 weeks.

I agree that it should be called Weekend On One as opposed to calling it after the name of the presenter. Surely this lesson should have been learned after Marion took the right royal p1ss with the amount of time that she took off. At least then it's not so embarrassing when the presenter is off for two months and the stand in is presenting the show with somebody else's name above the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

is it called the brendan o connor show now and not the weekend on one name that RTE announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hope Ballsy is t going to talk over everyone like he did yesterday.

I’d give him some time, but couldn’t take too much of very clunky interruptions like yesterday.

I really don't think this show has done anything to clear up the confusion. They have had everybody from economists, to medical professionals, to journalists, to comedians giving their conflicting takes on the current situation. And now we have a doctor who is disagreeing with the Government line, and the "is it one percent or is it five percent" discussion. Is it any wonder that people are confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

Love how these panellists think theyre an authority on everything. Full of gush n blather. In their Sunday best.
    A 2 hour black out Silence from 11 - 1pm on rte radio, Sundays would be more instructive

I really don't think this show has done anything to clear up the confusion. They have had everybody from economists, to medical professionals, to journalists, to comedians giving their conflicting takes on the current situation. And now we have a doctor who is disagreeing with the Government line, and the "is it one percent or is it five percent" discussion. Is it any wonder that people are confused.

Gerard,the answer is in reality nobody really knows.

It depends on us.... strange as it may seem ..it depends on what we do.

The Public!!

As I see it, best thing to do is take the direction from the lead people in the HSE.
    They are the trained experienced people with the information,let’s trust them .

Ignore those who come up with crackpot stuff, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Not to mention fr Brian D'Arcy on Sat

Not to mention fr Brian D'Arcy on Sat

I thought it was completely bizarre when one of the panelists suggested that the priests (who are mostly quite aged) should capitalize on the opportunity for some good press by making a big effort to call to people. So, a load of men ~70 years old calling around to every house in the parish, ensuring maximum exposure. They might as well shoot themselves in the head.

As I see it, best thing to do is take the direction from the lead people in the HSE.

Yeah but that is my exact point. They had a doctor on the phone who DISAGREED with Government policy and thought that they had handled it badly. Surely this is irresponsible, and they should be contacting the Department (i.e. her bosses) to see what the company line is on the subject.

Yeah but that is my exact point. They had a doctor on the phone who DISAGREED with Government policy and thought that they had handled it badly. Surely this is irresponsible, and they should be contacting the Department (i.e. her bosses) to see what the company line is on the subject.

Yes Gerry, unfortunately as I did say... we don’t know for sure ..we don’t know.

The Doctor could be right..unfortunately. It’s possible.

However I do fully agree way to handle this is to abide by Govt. direction as advised by those trained and qualified in the infectious diseases field.

Well it started well enough, but then David McWilliams came on. “Hey Google, Stream BBC Radio 2”....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Completely over the top praise for Varadkars speech even quoting Eoghan Harris es piece in the sindo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Does BO'C completely love the sound of his own voice and talking over his panelists?

Completely over the top praise for Varadkars speech even quoting Eoghan Harris es piece in the sindo

I was shocked to hear the lack of challenge on this. Like something on Chinese radio telling how great the leader is. I don't know who exactly O'Naughton is representing here but he's certainly coming across as a Government / HSE shill today. He said that he was in the HSE earlier this week meeting people, so if he has a vested interest then this should be disclosed.

I have a fake news story for you Aine, a person on the show this morning that all the people of Ireland are behind Leo Varadkar after his "epic" speech. Give us a break RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He asks whether irish people are getting it, whether they have the cop on, but how many guests do they have in the studio there? Why do they need to be there at all? John Crown was the only one worth listening to, patiently tolerating the frequent interruptions to calmly make his point, and he was on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Brendan is a terrible presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

He asks whether irish people are getting it, whether they have the cop on, but how many guests do they have in the studio there? Why do they need to be there at all? John Crown was the only one worth listening to, patiently tolerating the frequent interruptions to calmly make his point, and he was on the phone.

The constant interruptions from BO'C kills the flow of those that know what they are talking about. Loves his own opinion.

He asks whether irish people are getting it, whether they have the cop on, but how many guests do they have in the studio there?

Yeah that point wasn't lost on me either. Newstalk are mostly broadcasting from home. Surely RTE should have their guests Skyping in if they want to tell the rest of us off for our lack of social distancing.

I was shocked to hear the lack of challenge on this. Like something on Chinese radio telling how great the leader is. I don't know who exactly O'Naughton is representing here but he's certainly coming across as a Government / HSE shill today. He said that he was in the HSE earlier this week meeting people, so if he has a vested interest then this should be disclosed.

What exactly did you find fault with Varadkar on, General ?

While I agree it wasn’t the Gettysburg address, I found it perfectly sufficient to advise and inform the public, based on robust advice from those qualified in the field??

Given the context of the time and issue, what did you find objectionable to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mav11 wrote: »
    The constant interruptions from BO'C kills the flow of those that know what they are talking about. Loves his own opinion.

I was struck by his apparent flattery of McWilliams as an "outside the box" thinker. I can think of another outside the box thinker very close to power in the UK, and look at the state thats got them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I was struck by his apparent flattery of McWilliams as an "outside the box" thinker. I can think of another outside the box thinker very close to power in the UK, and look at the state thats got them in.

Shhhh! The man wants to give us all free money. He should be made president.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement