Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is There Anybody Out There ....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

:confused:

Nope. This just ain't happening. I can't work out what I'm doing wrong.

I have kde5 on a usb stick (ALT Regular E). But, Rufus is only picking That up. It can't seem to see inside?

When I click " Start ", on Rufus? A box comes up, telling me everything on Alt E will be obliterated if I continue :confused:

The hell am I missing here, please?

At least I'm still calm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stigura wrote: »
    Nope. This just ain't happening. I can't work out what I'm doing wrong.

I have kde5 on a usb stick (ALT Regular E). But, Rufus is only picking That up. It can't seem to see inside?

When I click " Start ", on Rufus? A box comes up, telling me everything on Alt E will be obliterated if I continue :confused:

The hell am I missing here, please?

At least I'm still calm! :D

I am unsure what you are trying to do :(

Rufus is ONLY used to put the operating system on the USB stick.
    Once that is done you are finished with Rufus.

You boot from the USB stick, into the operating system that Rufus put on the stick, and from there you install to the HDD of the PC it is running on.

Hmmm. Okay. Well; My stick has the ISO on it. But, when I tried to boot from it, earlier, it came up with:

" No default or UI configuration found! "

:confused:

As we speak, I'm dling the ISO onto my desk top ~ now, clearly, a forlorn hope :rolleyes: I was thinking that might help. Seems not.

Any idea what that message mean't, please?

Thanks. (Still sanguine ;))

Did you confirm you had a good d/load by checking the ISO against the md5sum or sha number provided for the purpose?
    The problem could be a bad download.

I really am unsure why you are meeting this now ....... by your p[revious posts you had already d/loaded the ISO of choice, so it should still be present on the PC, and had also booted with that ISO, so there was nothing wrong with it.

Now you cannot boot it?

• Advertisement

Did you confirm you had a good d/load by checking the ISO against the md5sum or sha number provided for the purpose?

:eek: What on earth's That???

Dunno. I just couldn't get any of the stuff I'd previously DLd to do anything. The " Mate " I'd previously been actually on now came up as just a couple of icons, in that folder! (WTF?!)

So, nothing left to lose, I went back over this thread, today, and saw that ye were suggesting this KDE5 might suit me even better than MATE. So, I figured to start over again, going with that.

There. It's on my desk top now.

:eek: What on earth's That???

Dunno. I just couldn't get any of the stuff I'd previously DLd to do anything. The " Mate " I'd previously been actually on now came up as just a couple of icons, in that folder! (WTF?!)

So, nothing left to lose, I went back over this thread, today, and saw that ye were suggesting this KDE5 might suit me even better than MATE. So, I figured to start over again, going with that.

There. It's on my desk top now.

Post the name of exact file you downloaded and also the URL of where you got it.
    Without those it is impossible to know what you have.

What size is the USB stick you are using to put the ISO on the stick?

Which PC are you using? As much detail as possible please ..... CPU; RAM size; HDD size.

File name: pclinuxos64-kde5-2020.01.iso

Sorss: http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/

As provided by yeself, post 12.

USB Stick is 16GB

Machine?

File name: pclinuxos64-kde5-2020.01.iso

Sorss: http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/

As provided by yeself, post 12.

USB Stick is 16GB

Machine?

OK, you are using the Acer .... I thought you intended to use the HP(?) for these tests.

Check that the KDE ISO boots and runs reasonably well on the Acer before committing to an install.

You will have choices during install ....... using the whole drive will automatically wipe Windows off the Acer, so be sure of your decision before proceeding.

:(z

• Advertisement

Melt down, again!

While I seem to have a moments grace on this thing: I'll very soon end up ripping this Acer out. I first need to find out how to disable updates, on the big machine, before it gets on line (Else doze will ram the updates on it, including this self destruct one they're tormenting me with now)

" Check that the KDE ISO boots and runs reasonably well on the Acer before committing to an install. " How, please?

" You will have choices during install ....... using the whole drive will automatically wipe Windows off the Acer, so be sure of your decision before proceeding. "

Errrmm ..... Given a choice between This hell and Anything ....? KDE will do nicely, Thank You!

Forgive me, if ye say something and I'm gone. It'll just mean doze has thrown another wobbler!

I honestly can't tell what's gonna happen next. I'd give ye my phone number, quite happily. But, who'd want to sit there, listening to me saying; " Okay. Pressed that .......... Nope. " :D

See? I'm not letting the bastards grind me down!

If you intend to install PCLinuxOS MATE version, then before you start I strongly suggest you go to their forum - maybe register so you can post your questions there - as that forum has a huge amount of PCLinuxOS specific How-To's and help threads which will help a lot.
    https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/

I also suggest you watch a couple of videos from Youtube that go through the install procedure - below is one example where the installation begins at 4:15 minutes in.
    You have the previous part of the video done, as far as I am aware, but if you have time you should watch it anyway.
    This video uses Etcher instead of Rufus, to put the ISO on the USB stick. That is just another application which has the same function, so no need to bother about it.

https://youtu.be/xR6ty3cSekg?t=257

I would be more comfortable if you installed your chosen Linux distro on a machine you are not dependent on to get on line - in case you need assistance with something.

Morning, Johnboy :)

It's KDE5 I'm going with. I'll look for any chubes regarding that though. Or, would it not be exactly the same as for MATE?

Machine I rely on? LOL! I can barely rely on This bloody thing, now, can I? It might go tits up again at any moment!

As I saw, when I managed to access MATE that time; I'm perfectly comfortable with its sort of thing ~ I'll be much happier to finish today on KDE5 than this broken 7, that's for sure!

Get this wreck sorted out. Then, having sussed it, I can drag out the HP and do the same on there. That's my goal, anyway.

Ahh! So, that Was KDE? Cool :)

Now, I've just checked and found I have KDE5 on my stick. By rights then, should I not be able to plug that in. Reboot, hitting F12. And get the option of what to boot to?

I've cleared all else from this machine now. I'll just give that a go now. My head's much clearer now, obviously. Not had a whole day of absolute torment, just yet! :D

I'll report back on exactly what goes wrong this time :rolleyes:

Seems you are good to go! :D

:( Wish I was. Thought I should be. But; See my post at 22:05, last night. We're at That stage again :confused:

I've written it All down, look:

" Error: No configuration File found. No default or UI configuration directive found!
    Boot:_ "

Morning, Johnboy :)

It's KDE5 I'm going with. I'll look for any chubes regarding that though. Or, would it not be exactly the same as for MATE?

Yes, the installation procedure is the same for all PCLinuxOS versions.

Other distros use somewhat different install procedures, which is why I pointed you to the PCLinuxOS specific one. No point in confusing the issue :)

I also noticed quite a number of videos on yourtube made by people who normally use different distros who seem incapable of grasping that other distros do things differently to theirs (often the only one they have any experience with).

So with all things internet based you need to select what to pay attention to and what to discard.

For best information, a question in the PCLinuxOS forum would provide good answers.
    It is likely that some users have made videos on different aspects that they could link to.

Gmailed admin, at the Linux forum. Now waiting to hear from them eith my registration details.

• Advertisement

While twiddling my thumbs, I thought to run a search, on there, without being able to log in yet. Happily, it allows that! :)

Searched: " error no configuration file found ".

Got this: https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,145554.msg1242984.html#msg1242984

Unfortunately, it means jack, to me. And, I haven't even got a DVD drive.

The iso is the only thing on that entire stick too :confused:

I have only just noticed your post with the error message - sorry.

Did you get a list of options to select to boot from?
    If yes which did you select?

Being perfectly honest? I don't even remember the exact sequence now :o
    I have a pad and pencil here. I write stuff down that I think may be relevant.

When I just plain hit for a reboot? I get a box saying; " ACH1:PO-WDC " etc. And it tells me to click this or that. But, nothing I click effects anything in any way. So, I have to hit the machines power button.

The stuff about No Default is what I get when I try a reboot with the iso loaded stick in.

Really freaky bit was last night! At some reboot, I got the option to " Use Huawei mass storage "?! That's mental! My isp is 3. Only Huawei round here is my phone! It's got nothing what so ever to do with this machine. Never been near it! :eek:

Did you get a screen up when booting from the USB stick, similar to the one shown in the video I linked to, which lists the various boot options you have?

grub-boot-screen.png

Nope. Nothing what so ever like that. That's Linux. All I'm ever seeing is pure doze.

To elaborate on that? It's not letting me get to the iso.

Nope. Nothing what so ever like that. That's Linux. All I'm ever seeing is pure doze.

So the USB stick is not being booted at all it appears.

Have you done anything different this time (except different ISO) to the last time when you had the USB stick successfully boot?

Maybe used a different USB port on the PC?

So the USB stick is not being booted at all it appears.

Have you done anything different this time (except different ISO) to the last time when you had the USB stick successfully boot?
    Maybe used a different USB port on the PC?

That gets my eye! Yeppers. I'm most likely trying a new hole now. I have two, connected usb hubs. Quite possible that I was using the other hub before :confused:

Aha! There's a free hole on the other hub! I'll try sticking the stick in there and go for a reboot. I'll be sure to watch carefully and write down anything new that happens

Well spotted, sir! :cool:

You should disconnect any/all devices not necessary for booting the USB stick as they can sometimes confuse things, depending on what is attached.
    Just USB stick and keyboard would be normal ..... and maybe mouse if a USB port is available.

super-ragetn.jpg

Exact same bloody result! (At least it's being consistent).

Choice between AHC etc. or " Data Traveler " (My stick).

Choose the stick and get the " Error: No Config... " screen. Reach for the machines power button :(

• Advertisement

Question: Could the Stick be in the wood pile???

I'm thinking how it all worked like a charm, with MATE, that time. But, I'd bet that was from another of my sticks.

Wonder if it'd be worth trying to load KDE onto one of the other sticks and booting from that? I have the iso left on this desk top. Only that and the recyc bin left there now.

What ye reckon?

Advertisement